REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika in Hamburg, Germany @ Große Freiheit 36: March 23 2010

Droopsy

I came back home after the gig at 3.30 am.

I lost my voice, I was thursty, tired, soaked with sweat, I had golden glitter in my underwear but very happy.

It was my second Mika gig so far, the first one was "only" acoustic and in a church, so it was the first time to see him with that "concert feeling".

Sorry, in the next minutes we're off to skiing holiday, no time to upload pics etc or for a report. Will post one during the next 2 weeks.

See ya in 2 weeks or something. Bye guys!

BTW: :aah: That Hamburger Abendblatt report ist s.hit.

I really like to talk with the guy who wrote it.:giljotiini:

How silly can one be??:puke:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the reports!

This review actually bugs me. A lot. Whoever wrote it hasn't understood anything. At all. It's quite condescending, actually. :aah:

They reduce his target group to little girls exclusively, (in fact that is what they say about those in the front row waving the feathers, too :teehee:)

One could summarize this piece of crap to just a few words, which are: children's birthday party; young girls; very young girls; swoon.

:puke:

Any chance of a translation? *begs*

Just read the reports. Can I quickly say I think Mika is under a big strain right now. He knows Rain and BIOTG didn't do so well so it means so much to him for KA to do well. He also had the premiere to attend. The man is only human. I'll shut up now.

I don't think any of us wanted to criticize him :blink: On the contarary, I'm amazed how he can do gigs like yesterday even if he is knackered. It was a brilliant performance. He just didn't take as much contact to the audience as he often does. So maybe a bit tired?

And this is what I want to see. I don't want to see one polished show or three similar shows in a row. I want to see it all. How he gets better all the time, some times makes all those sweet mistakes that creates a lot of talking and different kind of reactions from his part and all kind of variations. He is very talented and at the same time a adorable person and so human and I guess that's why we love him so much?

Sorry, can't write more, I'm in a queue :teehee:

This review actually bugs me. A lot. Whoever wrote it hasn't understood anything. At all. It's quite condescending, actually. :aah:

They reduce his target group to little girls exclusively, (in fact that is what they say about those in the front row waving the feathers, too :teehee:)

One could summarize this piece of crap to just a few words, which are: children's birthday party; young girls; very young girls; swoon.

:puke:

Oh, now we made his audience look like little girls :roftl: So no more feathers I guess :naughty: And he didn't like it any way :aah:

Aww, grumpy Mika. Boy needs a rest, hugs for you Mika :huglove:

Thanks for the reports everyone!

He wasn't grumpy at all. Knackered yes, but very attentiv and friendly (so was John by the way - i really admire him for his patience). We talked a bit about Kick-ass and he said it's amazing that people stay at the venue to dance and party and that they don't leave before the songs ends (btw: after Lollipop we saw him sneaking again at the audience and their reaction to Kick-ass which was played after the show again :wink2:)

I love that Mika's fans are staying & enjoying Kick-Ass.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

thanks all for your report,waiting for videos/pics when you can ;)

I came back home after the gig at 3.30 am.

I lost my voice, I was thursty, tired, soaked with sweat, I had golden glitter in my underwear but very happy.

It was my second Mika gig so far, the first one was "only" acoustic and in a church, so it was the first time to see him with that "concert feeling".

Sorry, in the next minutes we're off to skiing holiday, no time to upload pics etc or for a report. Will post one during the next 2 weeks.

See ya in 2 weeks or something. Bye guys!

BTW: :aah: That Hamburger Abendblatt report ist s.hit.

I really like to talk with the guy who wrote it.:giljotiini:

How silly can one be??:puke:

yes,the church....really amazing memories for me:wub2:

But I love and admire him so much, I had a huge moment last night during the gig. Everything just made sense. You know that feeling? :wub2: I'm such a fangurl, I need to calm down.

I know exactly what you mean. I've had that same feeling a few times myself -in particular at that Roxy acoustic gig in LA, at the acoustic gig in Amsterdam last summer then again last week in Copenhagen. For me it's as though he's right there in front of me and even though I've seen him many times before it just hits me how truly talented and amazing he is, and how blessed we are to be part of this world. And then follows this feeling of clarity like suddenly the whole world seems okay, that everything makes sense. :wub2:

... and then you put that all into words and it becomes apparent just how fangurly it sounds. :roftl::wub2:

I'm thinking Mika must be about shattered. Gigs on Saturday and Sunday, running off to London for that premiere on Monday, then gigs Tuesday and Wednesday. I hope he's got Thursday off - like actually off, with time to sleep and not have to deal with press and such.

Wow, grumpy Mika, that's rare.

But like Mana said, he must be totally knackered. I really hope they won't use those two gigless days for additional appearances elsewhere.

Yes, I was thinking the same; Poor thing :blink:. He was already knackered in Stockholm so I can only imagine how these last few days have just made him get more and more tired.

I really hope that he doesn't have added work stuck into those gig free days, and that he gets some time off soon, and also, isn't he off for a couple of weeks in just over a week or so? Around Easter? I hope that he is, and that he manages to relax quite a bit over those days :wink2:.

Just curious - what mean things was he saying to his puppet? :naughty:

I can't wait to hear that :naughty:. Looks like he finally realised what an ugly puppet that thing is :aah:

That's the vibe I got, too. That's why I think it will be part of the set for another while. It is a beautiful song, almost a bit of an emotional strip off.

Yep, same here. I am REALLY happy that he's brought it back :wub2:. He used to do it in the very old days and then he just dropped it, so it's fantastic to hear it again. He seems really taken and emotional when he sings Over My Shoulder it and I love watching that first hand; It's so special.

I don't think any of us wanted to criticize him :blink: On the contarary, I'm amazed how he can do gigs like yesterday even if he is knackered. It was a brilliant performance. He just didn't take as much contact to the audience as he often does. So maybe a bit tired?

And this is what I want to see. I don't want to see one polished show or three similar shows in a row. I want to see it all. How he gets better all the time, some times makes all those sweet mistakes that creates a lot of talking and different kind of reactions from his part and all kind of variations. He is very talented and at the same time a adorable person and so human and I guess that's why we love him so much?

Sorry, can't write more, I'm in a queue :teehee:

Couldn't agree more! He's human, and I love him for that; For letting us see that side and not always only showing the polished super finished product.

Yes, I was thinking the same; Poor thing :blink:. He was already knackered in Stockholm so I can only imagine how these last few days have just made him get more and more tired.

I really hope that he doesn't have added work stuck into those gig free days, and that he gets some time off soon, and also, isn't he off for a couple of weeks in just over a week or so? Around Easter? I hope that he is, and that he manages to relax quite a bit over those days :wink2:.

I can't wait to hear that :naughty:. Looks like he finally realised what an ugly puppet that thing is :aah:

Yep, same here. I am REALLY happy that he's brought it back :wub2:. He used to do it in the very old days and then he just dropped it, so it's fantastic to hear it again. He seems really taken and emotional when he sings Over My Shoulder it and I love watching that first hand; It's so special.

Couldn't agree more! He's human, and I love him for that; For letting us see that side and not always only showing the polished super finished product.

In your opinion.

In my opinion, I've seen a lot uglier puppets in shows, this ones not that bad.

Just found this one on YouTube

Happy Ending

Thanks for that !

Great quality video that is :wub2:

Im really trying to work out what is on the screen? a moon man walking? , cant work it out

This is the wayyy you left meeeee .. amazing :wub2:

Imma is more central as well , when I saw she was right all the time (think)

Ohhh thanks you have me curious :

And for sure , some shows he does really connect and give lots of eye contact and hes on "top form" and others less so . I suppose we are comparing amazing to nearly amazing:

exactly. those for whom it was the first mika gig were blown away. just us "regulars" realized. :wink2:

Review:

MIKA IN DER GROSSEN FREIHEIT

Pop-Karneval an Luftballons und Lamettaregen

HAMBURG. Ein Mika-Konzert wird bunt. Soviel ist sicher. Der Sänger trägt Zylinder zum lässigen Shirt. Seine Roadies marschieren zum Teil in Sträflingsklamotten auf.

Für knapp zwei Stunden verwandelt sich die Große Freiheit in eine Mischung aus Kindergeburtstag und Karnevalsparty, Luftballon- und Lamettaregen inklusive. Mika hat die Show ganz seiner Zielgruppe angepasst.

Die sehr jungen Mädchen in der ersten Reihe schwenken bunte Federsträuße und rasten aus, als der Sänger ihnen den fröhlichen Satz „Teenage Dreams In A Teenage Circus“ um die Ohren haut.

Seine Uptempo-Nummern wie „Relax“ oder „Grace Kelly“ erweisen sich auch live als die eindeutig stärkeren. Auch wenn sein hohes Bee-Gees-Organ teilweise wie mit Chor vom Band verstärkt klingt. Aber junge Mädchen wollen auch träumen. Das können sie, wenn Mika schmachtend am Piano von „Blue Eyes“ schwärmt. Er ist der nette große Bruder, den wir alle gerne hätten. Und auf einer Videoprojektion lacht der Mann im Mond.

http://www.abendblatt.de/kultur-live/article1433043/Pop-Karneval-an-Luftballons-und-Lamettaregen.html

:aah::sneaky2: well i should try to see it positively, that i still look like a teenager! :naughty: front row was for example mariposa, olga, nanou, patricia4u, tiibet, nightbird, statue_of_liberty, silke, etc... who were all over 20 or even over 30. 80-90% of the front row weren't teenagers. i guess that guy just saw the balloons, confetti, feathers and thought that's just for kids. :aah:

I don't think any of us wanted to criticize him : On the contarary, I'm amazed how he can do gigs like yesterday even if he is knackered. It was a brilliant performance. He just didn't take as much contact to the audience as he often does. So maybe a bit tired?

Sorry, can't write more, I'm in a queue :

agree. like i said in my report, mika did a good show. but what one can expect from my reports are comparisons to other gigs i've been to, the things that were different... otherwise i wouldn't have to report about every gig, as every report would be the same. don't know if "grumpy" is the right word, but like i said, i had the feeling that his mood yesterday was worse than at most other gigs i've been to, or at least that he was really tired, so that's what i reported. i still really enjoyed the show, and of course i don't blame him at all. like i said, everyone has a bad day once in a while, and due to me being totally knackered from traveling for not even a week, i can only start to imagine how he must feel touring for months and years, and probably also having a lack of sleep often. it's normal, and i don't blame him at all for being in a bad mood sometimes. :wink2:

I can't wait to hear that :naughty:. Looks like he finally realised what an ugly puppet that thing is :

you'll love it. :naughty: he said sth like that it looks dead and sad, and something about really nasty looking toys in general. :naughty:

also remembered the part after it, that was extremely funny... he started playing toy boy but instead of the tb lyrics, he sang (not really in tune) "i have lost my mind and i am on tour..." - and then started giggling - that was hilarious!! :lmao: then he changed the piano music a bit and said "that's new!" and giggled again. :roftl: and then he said "i'm sorry" and started playing the song. :naughty:

in the berlin queue now, soon gonna put my stuff in hathor's hotel, so off again in a bit...

exactly. those for whom it was the first mika gig were blown away. just us "regulars" realized. :wink2:

:aah::sneaky2: well i should try to see it positively, that i still look like a teenager! :naughty: front row was for example mariposa, olga, nanou, patricia4u, tiibet, nightbird, statue_of_liberty, silke, etc... who were all over 20 or even over 30. 80-90% of the front row weren't teenagers. i guess that guy just saw the balloons, confetti, feathers and thought that's just for kids. :aah:

agree. like i said in my report, mika did a good show. but what one can expect from my reports are comparisons to other gigs i've been to, the things that were different... otherwise i wouldn't have to report about every gig, as every report would be the same. don't know if "grumpy" is the right word, but like i said, i had the feeling that his mood yesterday was worse than at most other gigs i've been to, or at least that he was really tired, so that's what i reported. i still really enjoyed the show, and of course i don't blame him at all. like i said, everyone has a bad day once in a while, and due to me being totally knackered from traveling for not even a week, i can only start to imagine how he must feel touring for months and years, and probably also having a lack of sleep often. it's normal, and i don't blame him at all for being in a bad mood sometimes. :wink2:

you'll love it. :naughty: he said sth like that it looks dead and sad, and something about really nasty looking toys in general. :naughty:

also remembered the part after it, that was extremely funny... he started playing toy boy but instead of the tb lyrics, he sang (not really in tune) "i have lost my mind and i am on tour..." - and then started giggling - that was hilarious!! :lmao: then he changed the piano music a bit and said "that's new!" and giggled again. :roftl: and then he said "i'm sorry" and started playing the song. :naughty:

in the berlin queue now, soon gonna put my stuff in hathor's hotel, so off again in a bit...

thanks for all your reports! i really enjoy reading them!!:wub2:

In your opinion.

In my opinion, I've seen a lot uglier puppets in shows, this ones not that bad.

Yes Rose, in my opinion only, as I have never claimed that everyone or anyone else should think/say that it's ugly, or that others are not allowed to express theirs.

I never said that there aren't uglier looking puppets either, and I'm sure that you could find many that are. In the same way that you could find many that are prettier. It really doesn't matter :wink2:.

I feel the need to add, as a few people keep bringing this up, that this ugly puppet thing is only a joke. I don't particularly care if the puppet is ugly or pretty, and I just say that it's ugly as a funny thing. I do think that he's freaky looking, and more on the ugly side than anything else, but that's about it.

I'm not attacking Mika, he knows it, and I'm not making a statement or staging a protest against the "evil, ugly puppet". I just made a few comments in jest about his appearance, like many of us make at gigs. I don't get why suddenly a few people keep bringing it up as if it's an issue that I'm saying this.

Mika doesn't find it a problem, him and the people that I was with when I made those comments saw it for what it was, A JOKE, so why does everyone feel the need to constantly make snarky remarks about this? I honestly don't get it.

And I hope that neither you (nor anyone else) feel offended by this post, but I did feel the need to point this out, as it's not the first or second time that I get snipy comments about the puppet thing :wink2:. Why don't we all just enjoy the tour and focus on the important stuff, such as whether he will sing One Foot Boy again :aah:.

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious :roftl:. "that's new", love it.

And then follows this feeling of clarity like suddenly the whole world seems okay, that everything makes sense. :wub2:

... and then you put that all into words and it becomes apparent just how fangurly it sounds. :roftl::wub2:

:lmfao:

Imagine how much sillier it sounds when it comes from someone MY age.

The looks I get! :shocked: I can just imagine what my friends think...

So I just keep it mostly to myself. But yes, I know the feeling, too. :blush-anim-cl:

He seems really taken and emotional when he sings Over My Shoulder it and I love watching that first hand; It's so special.

Me too. How many photos did I take of him singing it at Le Poisson Rouge?

The emotion is nearly palpable. I adore that song, and seeing it live. :wub2:

Why don't we all just enjoy the tour and focus on the important stuff, such as whether he will sing One Foot Boy again :aah:.

OMG, that IS important! Please please please persuade Mika he has to

add that back to the setlist ASAP... definitely by the time he returns to the US!!! :biggrin2:

Thanks for the reports!

Any chance of a translation? *begs*

Pop carnival with balloons and tinsel

HAMBURG. A MIKA concert is colourful. That’s for sure. The singer wears top hat with a casual shirt. Some of his roadies deploy wearing convicts’ clothing.

For almost two hours the ‘Große Freiheit’ (that’s the venue) turns into a mixture of childrens’ birthday and carnival party, including balloons and tinsel raining down. For sure Mika customized the show entirely to his target group.

The very young girls in the front row are waving colourful bunches of feathers and freak out when the singer slaps them in the face with the happy sentence ‘Teenage Dreams in a Teenage Circus’ (I’m sorry, but it sounds just as odd in German).

Without a doubt his upbeat songs like ‘Relax’ or ‘Grace Kelly’ are the most powerful live performances. Even though his high Bee Gees voice partly sounds like backed up by a choir from tape. But young girls want to dream, too. They can when Mika languishingly croons about ‘Blue Eyes’ at the piano. He is the nice older brother that everyone of us would like to have. And on the screen you can see the Man in the Moon laughing.

I'm sorry, the translation doesn't really make it any better.

Edited by violet_sky

Picture gallery from Radio Hamburg:

mika-02_image_611x464.jpg

:wub2::wub2::wub2:

It's lovely!

I'm sorry, the translation doesn't really make it any better.

:lmfao:

Thanks anyway!