What colour do you think of when you think of Mika?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What colour do you think of when you think of Mika?

• red
    • orange
    • yellow
    • green
    • blue
    • violet
    • white
    • black

You have to be very diplomatic with smilies on MFC.

Have you noticed: There is only a small f****** difference btw. lmao :lmao: and lmfao :lmfao: but sometimes it really can be interpreted in the wrong way. Like with the first one you're making fun of the poster and with the second one you're laughing at the message.

I mean, sometimes I really wonder if I am using the right smilies. Did you ever experience the same? Using the wrong smilie? :mf_lustslow:

Yes, I have trouble with some smilies, for sure, especially :aah: and

:boxed: I'm never quite sure if I have used them right. :teehee:

And not only do you have to be careful with smilies, but also with

acronyms! I use a

lot of acronyms on other message boards and in other aspects of my

internet life, and I often forget that when I write here the audience has

a lot of non-native English speakers -- so you all don't know what

FWIW, OTOH, FYI, IIRC, BTW, WYSIWYG, etc. mean. And some people

have even taken those as *insults* when they've just been abbreviations

for harmless phrases (for example: FYI = For Your Information).

Maybe we need a list of translations for both smilies and abbreviations here?

:naughty:

I personally am glad to have met some of the people I've met. :thumb_yello: Especially the other Belgian fans (geographical advantage), we really get along and meet up a few times and/or do things together that have nothing to do with Mika. Last weekend e.g. I went to a tv show with one of them So yes, I'm sorry that it didn't work out that way for you

Yes, it's unfortunate that not everyone can have such a positive

experience, but everyone's different and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) :wink2:

I have to say that I've been lucky -- in forming real, lasting

friendships both with many wonderful MFCers from around

the world, who I talk to daily, and see when I can, and with many

people from other internet forums that I've frequented in the past.

How much poorer my life would have been without you all! :wub2:

And I always look forward to the opportunity to meet up with others

in the future! :original:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MFC is the only online community that I currently visits on a daily basis.

But it,s not the first and I too, have made some good friedship through them, the longer being a small group of women who have babies in Jan 2000, just like I did. Almost 11 years later, we are still chatting:biggrin2:

I have yet to meet anyone from here, but I'm sure in the future, it will happen.

We rock:thumb_yello:

I actually met someone from another online community on my first Mika trip. She came to London with me and Suzy and went to the gig with Bab and Kata. She wasn't a Mika fan but wanted to come to London and she ended up really enjoying the gig.

I haven't become best friends with everyone I've met but I find it definitely helps to deal with people you don't always see eye to eye with when you can have a chat in person. It humanizes people when you learn their mannerisms and their voice, etc. and don't just rely on the words.

I really can't believe you manage to disagree with me even when I talk about something that has happened to me! :lmfao: Which definitely proves me right about this community... Actually, I have found a friend on mikasounds.com and she's different from most of the people from MFC I have met in real life. So I think things can work for me, too. It just depends on the community. And I also have a couple of special friends I got to know here. :wub2: I am open to exceptions. :biggrin2:

Anyway being a close friend of the mods' can only help you get along with people more easily here, for sure! So your situation cannot be compared to mine.

I have to say, I agree with Sara here, I have made some amazing friends here, that I occasionally hang out with in RL, when I get the chance.

And I don't think it's anything to do with being friends with mods, I think she had started being friends with some before they became mods.

I'm friends with people who are mods, but I am also friends with people who have been on here since the beginning who aren't, and I love hanging out with them either at gigs or other functions.

I guess it really depends on whether you get on with people you talk to, if you do, then it's a fair chance that friendships will be formed, if not then they won't.

I haven't become best friends with everyone I've met but I find it definitely helps to deal with people you don't always see eye to eye with when you can have a chat in person. It humanizes people when you learn their mannerisms and their voice, etc. and don't just rely on the words.

You know, this is so true -- the internet and email are such a poor way

to communicate sometimes. You can't hear a person's voice inflections,

you can't see their mannerisms, you totally miss their point sometimes.

When you meet in person that all falls into place. I've met so many of

you now, that when I read what you write I *hear* your voices in my

head and I know exactly what you're trying to say, even if you're not

sitting right next to me.

And of course there's the whole other issue of how some people are so

brave when they're sitting behind a computer screen -- they write

things, the most outrageous things, that they would NEVER say to a

person's face... Sometimes you get a totally wrong perception of a

person because their onscreen persona is so different from their

Real Life personality. :dunno:

Still... I like meeting everyone in real life as much as possible. I've had

far more successes than failures, so I'm encouraged to think it will

always be that way. :thumb_yello:

totally agree with this!

though i haven't met nearly as many as other people,

i really enjoyed meeting with people i talk/chat to on line.

i actually hear their voices when i read their posts :naughty:

You know, this is so true -- the internet and email are such a poor wayto communicate sometimes. You can't hear a person's voice inflections, you can't see their mannerisms, you totally miss their point sometimes.

This can be especially true with my best friend, sarcasm. :teehee:

I use this :mf_rosetinted: to show I feel like cool and confident, but in fact it is called rosetinted and maybe means rose positivistic glasses. But I see that everyone means what I mean , not optimism but coolness

:boxed: I thought it was used when you say a lie..

For instance: "I don't love Mika" :mf_rosetinted:

I really don't understand anything :doh:

:aah: is also a difficult one - never know how to use this one.

are you kidding me? :aah: is my personal favorite. 'aah this is so unfair' as in 'these europeans had mika gigs all year long and i haven't seen him at all!' :naughty:

oops, i would have never seen that one as sarcasm...

+1 :thumb_yello:

i'm excited to meet some of you someday. most likely it will be at a mika concert, so there's something in common already. :thumb_yello:

it would just be nice to have some people there that feel the way i do, and want to be there early, versus having to drag a friend with me who is not having as much fun...

plus of course i'd be curious to see how people in real life compare to what i thought from knowing them online only...:naughty:

That's right, I started off in the pics threads mostly, because this was the easy way to merge in and I'm not going to deny that some of the threads are at first rather overwhelming, if you know what I mean :wink2:. I still go through these every once in a while but firstly, I rather prefer focusing on the artistic side of MIKA than on his appealing body, though I can't deny I'm fully aware of it :teehee:. And secondly, I prefer discussing issues of interest rather than writing empty "wow" or "aah" comments to pictures, which I still do when I see something that really catches my eye, but increasingly less, because I've started to find other more interesting and intriguing threads in this forum, which leaves me less time to spend looking at pics.

:lmao:

As it takes me hours to write a proper post on interesting threads due to my poor english level, I rather prefer sometimes write "wow" or "aah" on pics threads..

It's easier for me..:wink2:

Popular or unpopular? :teehee: It depends on who your MFC friends are. :naughty:

Anyway I have been here for over 3 years and I have always posted in the English threads, so I guess it's normal. :wink2: But I have learnt that meeting people in real life is NOT healthy at all. So I have decided not to meet forum people at gigs ever again. Of course, I will be glad to meet the people I trust and I like at gigs, but I am not going to look for real life friends anymore here. I only want to enjoy the music, the gigs and the forum for what it is: a Web community. :thumb_yello:

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your support. :blush-anim-cl::huglove:

Of course not! I'm perfect. :mf_rosetinted:

Laura, you probably had a bad experience..

I have few good friends here. Not necessary my best friends because it takes time to build a strong and trustworthy relationship and I also thing it needs face to face meetings but I love them.

I have a special affection for them because I know we share strong feelings, emotions, sadness sometimes...

I feel close from them at least about my Mika addiction.. and I really expect to meet them one day..

Actually I have met one of them already and we started to talk as if we know each others since years.. and despite of the language barrier..

You should give it a try again.. I'm sure it could be better :thumb_yello:

Rather:

seeing an amazing Mika's pic with incredibly beautiful eyes and perfect curls and stunning smile - one says: "well, not a bad necklace :mf_rosetinted:"

:sneaky2: - when I don't like something

:teehee: - more negative than :naughty:

:aah: - agree with koolj5

Yes, I have trouble with some smilies, for sure

so even you, with so much experience on forums have problems interpreting similes? :teehee:

Rather:

seeing an amazing Mika's pic with incredibly beautiful eyes and perfect curls and stunning smile - one says: "well, not a bad necklace :mf_rosetinted:"

No, I think you put it after a sarcastic remark / joke.

I can vaguely remember discussion about this and the smilies with different coloured glasses back in 2007.

:teehee: - more negative than :naughty:

the opposite, actually.

:teehee: is hee hee I said something funny

:naughty: I know it was a rather naughty comment from me

:das: I have some really naughty thoughts in mind and I leave it to your imagination what I might be thinking about

Have you noticed: There is only a small f****** difference btw. lmao and lmfao but sometimes it really can be interpreted in the wrong way. Like with the first one you're making fun of the poster and with the second one you're laughing at the message.

I don't think it means that at all. They are basically the same to me.

The first one (:lmao: ) I'd use when I have read a longer funny story that leaves me rolling with laughter and afterwards I put a thumb up in appreciation of the joke. (that's what this particular animated smiley does, anyway . .

The second one (:lmfao:) I use when I read a funny comment - it shows a quick reaction to a really brilliantly made, funny remark.

and then there is this one:roftl:. I'd use that when I find something funny.

What we have here is a perfect tutorial on using smilies (I'd like to use this one - :biggrin2: - now but I'm sot sure any more its appropriate :roftl:).

Although I was trying to be funny :wink2:, I actually do think it's a good thing and why not dedicate a separate thread to it. I've become rather cautious in using smilies, because I'm not always sure that I use them the way I want them to be understood. In many cases I do not get why people use the smilies they do. So I've limited myself to :biggrin2::wink2::wub2::thumb_yello: and occasionally use a few others but since there is a vast choice it'd be good to use them to illustrate what you write.

So :thumb_yello: to all of those who are ready to share what they know and think of the little yellow faces.

i'm very sorry, shine, that you have felt this way on this thread. i've always thought of this thread as one where most people's posts get answered.

naturally, since it's kind of a slower thread.

otherwise i wouldn't be here, because i'm shy and i know it hurts when your post is ignored.

but i know it happens, maybe because there's often long breaks between posts and the times that people are actually on here together don't happen that much?

I saw your complaints about your English in some different threads, but, being not a native speaker, I must say you sound quite as native!

Now I have to said the things, that I have read to my address :wink2: I notice your posts, especially in pics threads. It is so interesting suddenly to discover a newbie that turns out to be an ardent poster, and soon she becomes a well-known one.

ahhhhh my favorite Mika's quote!!!!!!!!

Bojana, you? Uncomfortable??? I always considered you a very confident and self-assured, being like a duck to water here at MFC, having your own opinion on many things and expressing it without fear. like a mama. Your post in many threads are so wise

don't worry, it happens to me, even being in the other side. I can ask in gasmics if there anybody home, post a pic, and go away, because nobody answers in a several minutes.

+1

this thread is really a kind of harbour for me

K. Actually, I wasn't thinking of you as a newbie, that's why I couldn't understand. :doh: Now I've checked the date you joined and I'm surprised. I had the impression you had been here for years. :blink:

I'm not a newbie, but I get shunned quite frequently, but that's because I don't get along with lots of people on this forum.

Don't think about it, there are definitely more important things in life than forum tiffs. :

What a pity to live so far away from you, guys!!

When I woke up, I have missed so many interesting posts that I just can't answer as much as I would like..

I have this feeling sometimes too...:blink:

Don't know this interview Siu. Do you have a link, please?

+1 :thumb_yello:

I do it quite often also. As much for what he says as for hearing his sweet voice

I'm always interested with your posts my friend :huglove:

Agree with you, it's a good way to thank the post and to pay attention to his efforts to find beautiful pics

Sometimes I am even scared on this thread. But you know, WTF, it's only the Internet. I just want to have fun here & don't have any unpleasant experiences to influence me in my real life, so if it gets too scary, I'll just quit. :wink2: But mostly I enjoy beeing on MFC because of this thread and the other one.

I am sorry you feel this way, Bojana! If you have the feeling I am ignoring you, please write this directly to me. It's really not intentional anyway, I often work on my desk at home while writing, sometimes I have to take a phone call or do something else in between so I have to jump off and leave quite suddenly. That's the only reason I leave conversations. So sorry about that if it was me who annoyed you. :huglove:

I know the ones you mean. Actually I was a bit angry at the time because pple were only talking about Mika's chest and stuff, so the post was meant to be sarcastic.

I don't like any pics of Mika on this thread - there are enough of them on the other threads.

My connection sucks. I can barely log in :dunno:

I mean, a convo has to be mutual and not some kind of a monologue. I've used to the feedback in the communication, positive or negative. That's I wanted to say, nothing so serious.:wink2: But I love you girls:huglove:

Obviously I'm not on line type of person, too old for that.:naughty:

Gosh, I missed the thread invasion last night! :shocked::naughty:

It is impossible to answer you all.

Also I don't know what to answer.

Actually I know what to answer but I am not sure if my answer will be understood in the right way.

So I would rather risk to insult you all by not answering than by answering. Ugh. :freak:

For those of you who want to see me in RL: the next time you go to a Mika gig and you see a 1,80 m tall, beautiful girl with long legs, blonde hair, gorgeous smile, blue eyes, skinny jeans, sunglasses & a Grace Kelly bag hanging around with Mika that would be me. :bye:

EDIT: I forgot: curves at all the right places, of course.

:mf_rosetinted:

Actually I know what to answer but I am not sure if my answer will be understood in the right way.

So I would rather risk to insult you all by not answering than by answering. Ugh. :freak:

:roftl:

I think you understand the situation perfectly.:teehee:

(PS: I wanted to post this smiley: :lmao: but based on my understanding of how you perceive that smiley you would have been offended. Or would it have been this one: :lmfao: I would have hurt you with? :confused:

anyway, I thought roftl was safer.:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

I think you understand the situation perfectly.:teehee:

(PS: I wanted to post this smiley: :lmao: but based on my understanding of how you perceive that smiley you would have been offended. Or would it have been this one: :lmfao: I would have hurt you with? :confused:

anyway, I thought roftl was safer.:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl: is perfect. "SmiLie like you mean it" :mf_rosetinted:

What a thread !!! I hope I don't invide your discussion...

I took time to read pages of this interesting thread and so many points were discussed. I can't answer to everything because of my English... The Mika obession thing will be discussed on the "I love you baby..." thread :naughty:

* Just wanted to start with that

i understand you very well.

i think, i just have some extra problems on top of the daydreaming...so yes, what i said of course doesn't apply to everybody.

but i do know, from myself and what i've seen on MFC, that people aren't here so much when real life is better, some leave completely, some keep coming here to stay in touch with the friends they made. so i wonder if we're all trying to fill some kind of a void...:dunno: or like you said: a way to escape...

Totally agree with that. I think for many people, being so involved in forums and Mika things fill some kind of void. We all love his music and him as an artist but we are looking for something else if we are fans like that : being online on fan clubs and forums, attending the most gigs we could...

Well, at least, this is what I feel. I had a big shock in my life back in 2007 when I saw my lovely grandmother die "in my arms" in a public place because of a stroke. I was really really depressed and there was a big void in my life. And this void, neither my familly, neither my friends or my lovely boyfriend could fill because they were already there before this ****ty day happened. I don't know ho to express that but I never experienced something like that in my little "perfect" life. It was in september... My boyfriend liked LICM and we bought some tickets during the summer... the Nantes gig was in october... I didn't wanted to attend because I wasn't in the mood. My boyfriend told me to go and we did. And this is when my Mika fan story begun :wub2: For the first time since the accident, I felt so calm, so well, and I was in a world when I forgot everything... and the only thing I wanted when the gig was over is to go back... to live in this world wometimes. The day after I joined the French fan club and everything begun ! :teehee:

Well, now, it's been 3 years since I lost my grandma. I'm ok and I went through this even if I miss her so much. But I build a part of my life with Mika's music, Mika's gigs, Mika's friends... that make me so happy :wub2:

This is just my experience, but I know many people here or on the French forums that had a kind of void when they started their Mika fan life...

* For the fact of beeing lef apart on the MFC. Well, it's a big, big community. Many people post there and fore some of them since more than 3 years. It's always difficult to learn how to find your place in this kind of community but with the time, you find it :wink2:

I'm not that active on the MFC because I have a very busy RL and because I'm already involved as a mod on the French Mikawebsite and this takes me lot of time ! But I always like coming on the MFC and sometimes, express my point of you, or just leave a post where I want because I had the feeling to do it. If people don't answer me, it's ok. I don't always need an answer when I don't ask for something or when I don't ask people advice or opinion. Sometimes, being part of a discussion is just leavung your post like a contribution, like the others :wink2:

* For the friends things. Well, I think this community has common points with real life, you can't be friend with eveybody, but you can have some affinities with some members. I'm not active enough on the MFC to have real friends here, but I love reading some people posts, and I love putting faces on MFC names during gigs :teehee: Even if we're not friends in RL, I like meet people in RL life, that brings a certain reality and it's always nice to feel that all that is not only virtual. But I do have dear friends I met on the French forum, we even meet outside gigs period, on holidays basis... And this is so nice :wub2:

I do believe in friendship after a virtual relation on MFC or other forums.:blush-anim-cl:

* And to finish with the smilies ! I'd like a tutorial too :naughty:

I think this thread is very interesting, and it's worth reading it :thumb_yello:

Last night, I dreamt at school, we had to go around smashing light bulbsin the corridors whilst rain was playing on the speakers, and whoever got the most won a chance to meet mika , and then thte school set on fire, and then everyone had to leave. And my best friend was still trapped inside, so me and mika went in to look for her, and we found her, and when we saw her, i ran up to her and started crying and hugging her. Than mika cried too, and we were there just hugging and crying. Now, i think that is one weird dream.

all i can say is i agree....

Exactly! Sarcasm just doesn't translate well over the internet, so I

seldom use it, unless I know the person really well.

That works -- I'd use it that way. :thumb_yello:

i'm excited to meet some of you someday. most likely it will be at a mika concert, so there's something in common already. :thumb_yello:

it would just be nice to have some people there that feel the way i do, and want to be there early, versus having to drag a friend with me who is not having as much fun.

Yes, that's one big advantage. I remember the first time I met up with a

bunch of MFCers, I could talk about all sorts of things that Mika or the

band members had done or said, and everyone knew what I was talking

about. It was such a relief to FINALLY find people who spoke the "same language" as me! :naughty:

so even you, with so much experience on forums have problems interpreting similes? :teehee:

Yes, sometimes I really do!

:das: I have some really naughty thoughts in mind and I leave it to your imagination what I might be thinking about

:lmfao: Love that definition!

By the way, sorry if anyone sees my posting here as an "invasion." I

read the thread all the time, but don't always have time to respond to

anything, so I don't consider it an invasion. Just happen to have

some time and wanted to say something now :dunno:

Laura, you probably had a bad experience..

I have few good friends here. Not necessary my best friends because it takes time to build a strong and trustworthy relationship and I also thing it needs face to face meetings but I love them.

I have a special affection for them because I know we share strong feelings, emotions, sadness sometimes...

I feel close from them at least about my Mika addiction.. and I really expect to meet them one day..

Actually I have met one of them already and we started to talk as if we know each others since years.. and despite of the language barrier..

You should give it a try again.. I'm sure it could be better :thumb_yello:

Don't worry. I have some good ones, too. :wink2: But I will definitely be more careful in the future.

New serious topic for the shrinks: the boss forgets to wash himself when he is going through a musically creative period.

Major social danger or case for a shrink? :mf_rosetinted:

Archived