I agree. The word "Bitch" isn't the insult it used to be, and when Mika heard the exchange she might have had a snappy tone to her voice. It's not always what someone says, it's the way they say it that can be hurtful.

The only thing that I can't understand about the boy and girl in the coffe shop queue, is, I can't understand why the conversation didn't go something like this.

Boy- Hi there gorgeous, are you on facebook?

Girl- No, I prefer reali.... Oh God,is that Mika over there?

Boy- Oh God, it is...!! Oh never mind you, Bitch, I've just seen Mika in person and he's way hotter than I am! I need a new image!

Girl- I agree with you, you looser, but you'll never look like Mika. Hey Mika! Are you still on facebook!!!?

:shocked:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree. The word "Bitch" isn't the insult it used to be, and when Mika heard the exchange she might have had a snappy tone to her voice. It's not always what someone says, it's the way they say it that can be hurtful.

The only thing that I can't understand about the boy and girl in the coffe shop queue, is, I can't understand why the conversation didn't go something like this.

Boy- Oh God, it is...!! Oh never mind you, Bitch, I've just seen Mika in person and he's way hotter than I am! I need a new image!

Girl- I agree with you, you looser, but you'll never look like Mika. Hey Mika! Are you still on facebook!!!?

Marylin you ROCK!

That made me chuckle:naughty:

:roftl: That's hilarious. Not that she stood a chance anyway, seeing as Mika thought that the boy was way better looking anyway :fisch:

The way I see it, the girl was not being polite with the boy. The response she gave him of 'preferring reality' sounds very condescending and stuck up.

And at the end of the day, the word bitch is not that harsh anyway.

that last thing might be a language problem for me, in my ears it sounds very harsh, because i connect it mainly with the original(?) meaning, and would translate it into something like whore/slut. but i just looked it up on leo.org again, and also found some german translations that sound less harsh... "zicke" would probably describe it best for what mika wrote - and you're right, if i translate it this way, the word fits a lot better.

still, i don't like it if someone judges over others so quickly and then makes it public. it's more about the principle for me than about what mika wrote, because like i said, we'll never know who that girl was. but that is one way how bullying can start. someone quickly builds a negative opinion about someone else, and makes it public in a group. that other person will never be able to join the group, because everyone is already prejudiced before they've even talked a word with them. :no:

so, about the girl, in other situations she might be the nicest person on earth, and not impolite at all. but who knows, maybe she already has a bf but gets chatted up by 3 guys per day, and if she reacts nice and polite, the guys would take that as an offer to go on. if you've made that experience a few times that guys just don't understand a polite "no" (indeed there are still too many guys who think that a woman means yes if she says no :aah:), you might just be more direct to the next one who chats you up. :dunno:

@marylin: LOL!! :lmao:

that last thing might be a language problem for me, in my ears it sounds very harsh, because i connect it mainly with the original(?) meaning, and would translate it into something like whore/slut. but i just looked it up on leo.org again, and also found some german translations that sound less harsh... "zicke" would probably describe it best for what mika wrote - and you're right, if i translate it this way, the word fits a lot better.

still, i don't like it if someone judges over others so quickly and then makes it public. it's more about the principle for me than about what mika wrote, because like i said, we'll never know who that girl was. but that is one way how bullying can start. someone quickly builds a negative opinion about someone else, and makes it public in a group. that other person will never be able to join the group, because everyone is already prejudiced before they've even talked a word with them. :no:

so, about the girl, in other situations she might be the nicest person on earth, and not impolite at all. but who knows, maybe she already has a bf but gets chatted up by 3 guys per day, and if she reacts nice and polite, the guys would take that as an offer to go on. if you've made that experience a few times that guys just don't understand a polite "no" (indeed there are still too many guys who think that a woman means yes if she says no :aah:), you might just be more direct to the next one who chats you up. :dunno:

@marylin: LOL!! :lmao:

yeah,I see your point,in fact there´s a movie about this subject called "rumours" I think... but in this case,Mika never says the name of the girl,so I´m not sure how disrespectful he can be... I think he just used this experience to talk about "what happened" and not about "who did it"... I think...

I'm sorry but her response IMO did carry a lot of negative weight and would have totally annoyed me if I had been there. Also, let's not forget that Mika was the one seeing their exchange, and when he categorised her as bitch he must have also been noticing other things like voice tone, body language, etc... I doubt that he would say that she seemed like a bitch unless she had actually given off a pretty strong vibe :dunno:

yeah, I think the same, there should have been more than just one sentence,to make Mika have that reaction about her :wink2:

:bow::bow::lmfao:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Perfect!

in this case,Mika never says the name of the girl,so I´m not sure how disrespectful he can be... I think he just used this experience to talk about "what happened" and not about "who did it"... I think...

Actually, I wouldn't even assume the story happened that way exactly or if it happened at all. :teehee: It is clearly used only as an illustration to his thoughts on the subject, ie. the internet being part of our reality.

Actually, I wouldn't even assume the story happened that way exactly or if it happened at all. :teehee: It is clearly used only as an illustration to his thoughts on the subject, ie. the internet being part of our reality.

exactly my thoughts... but as I was already pointed out by members here because I think Mika figures out many things in his columns,I decided not to say it. But I agree with that 100%

That's what I thought too, that it didn't ever even happen in real life or it happened such a long time ago, and he just wanted to use a colorful example to make his story clear :biggrin2:

This column is my favorite so far, I had a feeling while reading that he is actually sharing his thoughts :wub2:

That's what I thought too, that it didn't ever even happen in real life or it happened such a long time ago, and he just wanted to use a colorful example to make his story clear :biggrin2:

This column is my favorite so far, I had a feeling while reading that he is actually sharing his thoughts :wub2:

I prefer the one on religion, but this is the second best.

And I think tis feelings comes from his own experience on internet dating, which he shares.

I prefer the one on religion, but this is the second best.

And I think tis feelings comes from his own experience on internet dating, which he shares.

We never know which part of his story is true and which not, but his thoughts behind it sound very genuine.

I really hope there will be more columns!

We never know which part of his story is true and which not, but his thoughts behind it sound very genuine.

I really hope there will be more columns!

+1.

Actually I don't care which parts of his coulumn is true or not true.And it wouldn't matter to me if he made up everything.I just like the topic and think he made it concrete.(hope you understand what I mean:teehee:)

I'd love it if he would continue.:biggrin2:

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

you deserve a medal

No I don't deserve a medal! I'm surprised no one thought of that before now! If I'd been in the coffee queue with Mika behind me (and he's not easy to miss) I wouldn't have been interested in some looser trying to chat me up.

I wouldn't try to get off with Mika, but it would have been great to talk to him and ask how his album is going. Maybe get him to sing a little bit of something beautiful, or ace.

Originally Posted by Marilyn Mastin View Post

Yes but bitch in french sounds very rude :aah:

and about this version I thought about two others versions that are in my head :roftl::teehee::biggrin2: possibilities are endless :roftl:

and about this version I thought about two others versions that are in my head :roftl::teehee::biggrin2: possibilities are endless :roftl:

hahaha, and there I was, thinking how the Londoners are cool, they do not even notice 2m tall celebrities eavesdropping and queuing for coffee behind them :aah:

One of the version I was thinking off:

Mika-il-va-chercher-son-cafe-en-short-!_closer_news_xlarge.jpg

Mika: "Oh glad she was like that with him, I took two coffees one for me and one for him, hope to find him as he left very quickly, we could take our cofffees together"

Edited by Etoile2roses

Noooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaay!

He is only interested in people's brains as we know :rolls_eyes:...........but maybe he changes his mind if the brains are inside some cute head :dunno:

:mf_rosetinted:

Yes :roftl::roftl:

Yep, I totally agree. The way I see it, the internet and RL are not mutually exclusive at all. In fact they complement eachother beautifully. Internet IS part of RL for many people these days, and I think that it's something to be embraced and treasured.

I'm sure that he's looks oriented to some degree, like most people. He's only human.

The fact that he puts effort into his own looks, and that he worries that he looks ugly/fat/whatnot, shows IMO that he does find looks important.

:lmfao: Exactly :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously now, I L-O-V-E-D this column. I totally, completely and utterly loved it.

I found myself agreeing with him on most of what he said, and also really enjoying the way he is being so candid and open and realistic about the whole thing without worrying about being too pc or socially acceptable or whatever. I thought that it was a very refreshing and 'real' piece.

One thing that I didn't agree with though is with his views on his Myspace relationship being classed as 'internet dating'. Yeah he met this person via Myspace, but it was just a way in which a stranger got in touch to ask him for a date, and then the relationship was conducted offline :dunno: It's not much different to meeting someone through a blind date set up by friends for example, or by very briefly meeting them on the street or in a bar, etc... Sure one has not seen the other person face to face in this case, but really, a short first meeting with someone in most social circumstances doesn't really provide much info other than just feeding our senses with some attraction. And, really, if we go solely on physical attraction and we don't look at any other aspect of the other person, the chances of a potential relationship taking off the ground are close to zero.

Now speaking of 'proper' online dating, as in, meeting someone through a dating site, where people sign up with that only purpose and potential couples chat to eachother and finally meet up in RL, is shown by research to be a very efficient way to meet a partner. Far more efficient than actually meeting someone randomly on the street, a bar, etc...

The reason for this is that it's a bit like a job application: people are vetoing and selecting potential partners based on compatibility traits, and the time and energy wasted on the 'wrong candidates' is minimal, thanks to the readily available 'shortlisting' capability of these sites.

In short, you may see someone in a bar or at the gym that you like the look of, but the chances of that particular person being interested in you AND compatible with you are pretty minimal. You multiply your chances of success by a lot by doing this process online, as you can very quickly separate the chaffe from the wheat, and then meet in RL the ones that you are confident have a high chance or success. Of course then the relationship will have to run its course in the same way that any other relationship would, but at least you have established a lot of common ground before that, and you have a higher certainty of the fact that this person is not totally wrong for you.

I have never used online dating myself before, but I do have some good friends who have married people who they met online, and are very happy. Incidentally, these people were all quite 'eligible' in general terms (smart, attractive,educated,good work,etc) and didn't have trouble meeting people in RL, but they found that it was hard to meet that special person that they totally connected with, and in their case internet dating was the way to go.

Everyone who says looks don't matter are liars. Of course Mika finds looks important. I'm quite sure that someone who spends so much time on his own personal grooming, won't want to walk next to a scruffy person.

That said, online dating can be good, my dad and stepmother met each other through online dating and have been married for 10 years already. Needless to say it can go wrong though, as it's easy to pretend your someone else on the internet.

That's exactly what occured to me after reading his column. :wink2:

Even though he stated that he could've fall in love with any body shape, etc. I highly doubt it.:aah:

But in his on line date fiasco he obviously invested emotions and intimacy, not only physicall attraction and that's what hurts the most.

One of the version I was thinking off:

Mika-il-va-chercher-son-cafe-en-short-!_closer_news_xlarge.jpg

Mika: "Oh glad she was like that with him, I took two coffees one for me and one for him, hope to find him as he left very quickly, we could take our cofffees together"

That's good. I actually wondered whether the incident at the coffee shop was THIS time he went to the coffee shop!