It's not always like that though, but a lot of cases are. When I was studying ChildCare we had a girl who was from Banghladesh origin (spelling?) and she was in an arranged marriage. At the time she was only 16 but she knew who he was, had met him (even though he lived in Banghladesh and she lived in the UK) and they were arranged to marry on my birthday in 2008. But she was really happy with it and her parents never pressured her. As far as I'm aware she lives out there now and is still married to him but I haven't been in contact with her since. So sometimes it can work out.

I'm not a fan of arranged marriages AT ALL, but I also know a few people who have been in them. Some people I work with, basically. It's funny cause these guys are born and bred here, but they are very much from their culture (Bangladesh and Pakistan, in the cases that I know) and so they are forced by their family traditions to marry someone of the family's choice.

In these cases that I know they call them 'introduced' as opposed to arranged (just to make it sound more acceptable, I suppose) and they say that the family found the partner and then they met a few times, and they agreed to go on with the wedding. They all say that they can decide, but when there was only 6 months between meeting their bride for the first date and the actual big wedding, I don't see how that would work :blink:.

In any case, they all seem to happily plod along and lead an otherwise 'normal' life. I find it very weird. These guys went to uni here and were going around getting drunk, smoking pot and shagging whoever they found was willing, and then they ended up in this really old fashioned marriage.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In any case, they all seem to happily plod along and lead an otherwise 'normal' life. I find it very weird. These guys went to uni here and were going around getting drunk, smoking pot and shagging whoever they found was willing, and then they ended up in this really old fashioned marriage.

They were living their lives before it ended :lmao:

(I'm kidding. I know not all marriages mean the end of someone's life so don't take that statement literally.)

Am I not allowed to post whatever I want without quoting anyone?!

Sure, but it causes confusion if you don't, especially when you make such a vague statement like "Try the other way round? :teehee::fisch:"

I mean...try *what* the other way round? :aah:

I must say, I was a bit confused by the vaguery of your post, but I wasn't about to jump down your throat about it.

I'm sure you knew what you were talking about, it was just a bit puzzling to the rest of us:naughty:

sure you can. but when your posts can be perceived as insulting, then it's better to quote what you were refering to, and make it clear to everyone. that way, other members won't misunderstand your vague comments.

I must say, I was a bit confused by the vaguery of your post, but I wasn't about to jump down your throat about it.

I'm sure you knew what you were talking about, it was just a bit puzzling to the rest of us:naughty:

Thank you, Rose.

And sorry, I'm not English and I am definitely intense (not sure if that's the right word). For me, it was quite clear. My point was that "obsession" and thinking you know Mika is just a delusion, for every fan around the world. And I think that "could" be the meaning of that quote. I do not know for sure of course, I don't know him :wink2:

sure you can. but when your posts can be perceived as insulting, then it's better to quote what you were refering to, and make it clear to everyone. that way, other members won't misunderstand your vague comments.

Insulting??? :shocked:

You must be joking...

Thank you, Rose.

And sorry, I'm not English and I am definitely intense (not sure if that's the right word). For me, it was quite clear. My point was that "obsession" and thinking you know Mika is just a delusion, for every fan around the world. And I think that "could" be the meaning of that quote. I do not know for sure of course, I don't know him :wink2:

You're not English, but your English is actually very good. Using your English skills to their full potential (i.e. explaining a bit more) would be much more beneficial for you and for others if you do not wish to cause such confusion in the future. :thumb_yello:

Thank you, Rose.

thank you, that's alot clearer :thumb_yello:

no, i wasn't joking.

your quoteless post following babspanky's post was quite insulting

I don't know what post you're talking about, but surely you forgot about others which made me :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Anyway...

I don't know what post you're talking about, but surely you forgot about others which made me :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Anyway...

well, if you care to see how it read, then go back a few page and read it.

right now, it's about that post, not about "others i may have forgotten" that made you go into shock.

it was a cute word... i was just about to add it to my vocabulary.:aah:

if hubby says "it's not a good word" i'll say blame it on Rose! :sneaky2:

I've used it a few times in mine, and not been picked up on it til now:roftl:

You're not English, but your English is actually very good. Using your English skills to their full potential (i.e. explaining a bit more) would be much more beneficial for you and for others if you do not wish to cause such confusion in the future. :thumb_yello:

That's what I was told first time I posted here, but then everytime I did again and again I got weird reactions...

:blink:

well, if you care to see how it read, then go back a few page and read it.

right now, it's about that post, not about "others i may have forgotten" that made you go into shock.

Not going to place the same smiley again, so... :mf_pain: