2011 - MIKA @ Magic Numbers Secret Gig, London - 22 Jan REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS

Droopsy

Van, Nina and Nanou I have finally gotten round to watching your videos. Thank you so much for taking these and for sharing them. To be honest I have foud it very moving just watching them. I know it was called an intimate gig but that is absolutly the word that comes to mind whilst watching. It is just so intimate. What a truely amazing experience for you all. I simply loved Only the Lonely one...............but to be honest I find it difficult to pick a favourite. They are all amazing.

Van, Nina and Nanou I have finally gotten round to watching your videos. Thank you so much for taking these and for sharing them. To be honest I have foud it very moving just watching them. I know it was called an intimate gig but that is absolutly the word that comes to mind whilst watching. It is just so intimate. What a truely amazing experience for you all. I simply loved Only the Lonely one...............but to be honest I find it difficult to pick a favourite. They are all amazing.

This may sound silly, but at the time I didn't realise quite how intimate it was. It just somehow seemed quite normal for Mika to be sitting there playing the piano - everything was so relaxed and friendly.

This may sound silly, but at the time I didn't realise quite how intimate it was. It just somehow seemed quite normal for Mika to be sitting there playing the piano - everything was so relaxed and friendly.

Really? That's interesting. TBH when I started watching them the first thing that came to my mind was the small club gig (LPR) in New York which is probably the smallest one that I have been to but was nowhere near as initimate as this one. But I think that seeing Mika in small venues is very different to watching perform in huge ones. Completely different atmosphere.

However, this is very definately in a leauge of it's own.:wub2:

It just somehow seemed quite normal for Mika to be sitting there playing the piano - everything was so relaxed and friendly.

I've been telling everyone the same. It was just so normal. I guess it sounds funny, but there is no other way to describe it :dunno:

TBH when I started watching them the first thing that came to my mind was the small club gig (LPR) in New York which is probably the smallest one that I have been to but was nowhere near as initimate as this one.

There was a different kind of intimacy at the NYC show. I think Mika was more connected to the audience, less reserved and just generally having a great time. I was watching this video just before I left for London and it reminds me of kids having a sleepover in their basement and the parents surprising them by having Mika over to sing a couple of songs. :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]4Pg207jdARU[/YOUTUBE]

To me the special thing about the private gig was that it was relaxed, improvised and really acoustic, not so much the intimacy. That's just my take on it though. I guess everyone has their own perspective depending on their various experiences. :wink2:

I've been telling everyone the same. It was just so normal. I guess it sounds funny, but there is no other way to describe it :dunno:

There was a different kind of intimacy at the NYC show. I think Mika was more connected to the audience, less reserved and just generally having a great time. I was watching this video just before I left for London and it reminds me of kids having a sleepover in their basement and the parents surprising them by having Mika over to sing a couple of songs. :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]4Pg207jdARU[/YOUTUBE]

To me the special thing about the private gig was that it was relaxed, improvised and really acoustic, not so much the intimacy. That's just my take on it though. I guess everyone has their own perspective depending on their various experiences. :wink2:

I was hoping that you would give your opinion as I think you were the only one that was at both. :thumb_yello:

As you say, it always depends on ones own experince and perspective. I just found it interesting that LPR came immediately to mind as I watched. I certainly hadn't though of it as intimate before I don't think!

Yes, it really felt very natural :blink: I could understand only later how intimate it actually was. At that moment it felt just normal :wub2:

I can't really compare it to any other gigs. I was at Jam sessions, it was quite small too, the venue was lovely and he sounded really beautiful, but it was not as intimate and relaxed as this (it was fantastic though, because the venue was full of fans and he looked happy to perform to the audience like that).

yes, you cannot compare this one to any other small and intimate gig. It was not a 'gig', but him singing to a bunch of people around him in a cozy setting.

There was no stage and that made a huge difference. I believe that when there is no stage for an artist to perform, they kind of become defenseless. In my opinion it is the setting that can explain the completely different feel to such performances. I think it was a very brave thing of him to do, especially the fact that he let it all be recorded. (I would have actually felt more at ease if there had been no cameras around but I still had a great time, of course.:teehee:)

yes, you cannot compare this one to any other small and intimate gig. It was not a 'gig', but him singing to a bunch of people around him in a cozy setting.

There was no stage and that made a huge difference. I believe that when there is no stage for an artist to perform, they kind of become defenseless. In my opinion it is the setting that can explain the completely different feel to such performances. I think it was a very brave thing of him to do, especially the fact that he let it all be recorded. (I would have actually felt more at ease if there had been no cameras around but I still had a great time, of course.:teehee:)

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head about the lack of stage and why it felt "normal". There was no sense of performer/audience because he wasn't on a stage. You and I were at eye level with him the whole time.

I think we got off lucky with the cameras and won't make it into the footage. Although I think that might be me in the mirror at the end of GK. :naughty:

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head about the lack of stage and why it felt "normal". There was no sense of performer/audience because he wasn't on a stage. You and I were at eye level with him the whole time.

I think we got off lucky with the cameras and won't make it into the footage. Although I think that might be me in the mirror at the end of GK. :naughty:

Well not really eye level, cause almost everyone was on the floor, and he was on a bench, plus he is pretty tall, and... Okay bad joke. :roftl:

I think I can see me right at the very end of GK :blush-anim-cl:

Well not really eye level, cause almost everyone was on the floor, and he was on a bench, plus he is pretty tall, and... Okay bad joke. :roftl:

I wasn't on the floor, but you're right, he's much taller than me. :wink2:

Speaking of which Silver just sent me pics and I've had to crop everyone out for privacy reasons but I'll post anyway.

mgig2.jpg

This one is more for Bab's photo album than a gig thread, but I still like it. :teehee:

mgig.jpg

I was most definitely at his eye level and so was Christine - I can't talk of anybody else's experience's than mine :dunno:

Yes, it really felt very natural :blink: I could understand only later how intimate it actually was. At that moment it felt just normal :wub2:

I can't really compare it to any other gigs. I was at Jam sessions, it was quite small too, the venue was lovely and he sounded really beautiful, but it was not as intimate and relaxed as this (it was fantastic though, because the venue was full of fans and he looked happy to perform to the audience like that).

I was invited at the Jam session and stuck at work :sneaky2:

Still feeling blue about it while reading you:tears:

I wasn't on the floor, but you're right, he's much taller than me. :wink2:

Speaking of which Silver just sent me pics and I've had to crop everyone out for privacy reasons but I'll post anyway.

mgig2.jpg

This one is more for Bab's photo album than a gig thread, but I still like it. :teehee:

mgig.jpg

You don't look that much shorter than MIKA (unless he was crouching as he sometimes does :teehee:). My "eye level" would definitely be another good 4-5 inches lower :roftl:

I was invited at the Jam session and stuck at work :sneaky2:

Still feeling blue about it while reading you:tears:

:huglove:

Work and hubbies :sneaky2:. If we could just turn them off at times :naughty:

You don't look that much shorter than MIKA (unless he was crouching as he sometimes does :teehee:). My "eye level" would definitely be another good 4-5 inches lower :roftl:

He must have been leaning or something because even with my boots on I'm only about 5'5", which is almost a full foot shorter. :dunno:

Actually, I was on his eye level, because I was sitting a couch arm :teehee:

Yes, you are right here. And it felt normal to us, because it was so relaxed, but it might have felt not so normal and even difficult to him, and he was very brave in deed. It would have been easier without cameras, but of course we are lucky to see it afterwards this way.

Thank everybody for their reports, pics and videos :thumb_yello:

Here are my pics and the videos I took:

Thank you, going to watch them now! :thumb_yello:

Edit: You took a pic when I was talking to him, thank you!!! :wub2:

And he said hi to that little baby, how sweet was that? :wub2::teehee:

Edited by tiibet