Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

I may not be agree with you in many points throughout these months-lasting discussions, but only now I understood and got this simple and important cause of your point of view - why it is so. I Must admit it.

I didn't notice Christine's post until you responded to it, but I'll just add this and hope it's finally over - I've NEVER gone to a gig and probably won't for many years to come because my only source of transportation is currently my dad, who's a giant wimp about going places, BUT I'm totally okay with him not tweeting much. But, I'm also extremely patient.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice Christine's post until you responded to it, but I'll just add this and hope it's finally over - I've NEVER gone to a gig and probably won't for many years to come because my only source of transportation is currently my dad, who's a giant wimp about going places, BUT I'm totally okay with him not tweeting much. But, I'm also extremely patient.

I'm sure that one day you will be able see a Mika gig. :huglove:

I didn't interpret anyone's comments as implying that Mika is a sell out or an awful person.

What I saw was people expressing disappointment that Mika is not maintaining a connection with his fans because he doesn't even tell his Italian fans when he is in Milan. A lot of people have been feeling this disappointment, which is why this discussion comes up repeatedly and why many long time fans don't even bother to talk about Mika at all anymore because they have lost interest in what he's doing.

Instead of empathizing with this disappointment or just saying simply, I don't feel that same lack of connection or the connection is not as important to me as it seems to be to you...what happens is people try to "defend" Mika with excuses. Excuses that don't hold any water...like Mika is too engrossed in making an album to connect to his fans. But we have seen time and time again that Mika is not too engrossed in his album to do many other things, including performing at private gigs. There is no plausible reason why Mika can't keep in touch with his fans, so the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't want to. If you tell people they are wrong in that conclusion then the subject of him performing at private gigs is going to come up because that's what we know he's been doing with some of his time. In fact it's just about the only thing we know he's been doing with his time because he doesn't tell us anything.

Does anyone begrudge him making money at private gigs? Not me!!! The more the better. I hope he's charging these people $1 million because he deserves it and how lucky am I to have gotten even better and more special performances for free or close to it?? :biggrin2: I think it's awesome that Mika can command the kind of money that (I hope) he does and if he wants to blow it on champagne for MFC or a 50 foot blow up Big Girl doll or 3 washing machines or some ugly chandeliers or just driving around London with flowers cascading out of his convertible, that is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. :roftl:

I love that screen behind and the fact that it's out of synch. It's like you've got two different Mika's performing at the same time. :naughty:

Thanks Christine, for being the voice of reason once again and laying it out like it is :thumb_yello:

You forgot about his butt, Guy, his butt should be the most private matter of them all....:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl: :roftl:

If that was not allowed to be discussed on MFC, there would be fewer members posting since for many that is one of the few 'on topic' discussions they feel safe comment on.:mf_rosetinted:

You do make a good point there! Personally for me though, I'd rather have less to read with more substance, but hey, that may just be me :biggrin2:

I didn't interpret anyone's comments as implying that Mika is a sell out or an awful person.

What I saw was people expressing disappointment that Mika is not maintaining a connection with his fans because he doesn't even tell his Italian fans when he is in Milan. A lot of people have been feeling this disappointment, which is why this discussion comes up repeatedly and why many long time fans don't even bother to talk about Mika at all anymore because they have lost interest in what he's doing.

Instead of empathizing with this disappointment or just saying simply, I don't feel that same lack of connection or the connection is not as important to me as it seems to be to you...what happens is people try to "defend" Mika with excuses. Excuses that don't hold any water...like Mika is too engrossed in making an album to connect to his fans. But we have seen time and time again that Mika is not too engrossed in his album to do many other things, including performing at private gigs. There is no plausible reason why Mika can't keep in touch with his fans, so the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't want to. If you tell people they are wrong in that conclusion then the subject of him performing at private gigs is going to come up because that's what we know he's been doing with some of his time. In fact it's just about the only thing we know he's been doing with his time because he doesn't tell us anything.

Does anyone begrudge him making money at private gigs? Not me!!! The more the better. I hope he's charging these people $1 million because he deserves it and how lucky am I to have gotten even better and more special performances for free or close to it?? :biggrin2: I think it's awesome that Mika can command the kind of money that (I hope) he does and if he wants to blow it on champagne for MFC or a 50 foot blow up Big Girl doll or 3 washing machines or some ugly chandeliers or just driving around London with flowers cascading out of his convertible, that is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. :roftl:

I love that screen behind and the fact that it's out of synch. It's like you've got two different Mika's performing at the same time. :naughty:

I don't look on these as "excuses" as you put them, but valid points.

He has tweeted from various locations, mentioning what he was doing there, funnily enough doing work pertaining to the album and various project he had previously tweeted about doing! And in his column this month, he mentioned again going to these places and talking about the fact that he was working on the album.

So, he had tweeted about what he was going to be doing, and then went off and did it. Everyone of his followers read these tweets, and anyone who followed later, could read back and see that he was working on the album. Not excuses, facts that Mika had himself tweeted

Just because he has the occasional night out with friends (which he also tweeted about), or going to a show and gets papped there, or does extra work (he's getting paid, so therefore it's work), and doesn't tweet about it (obviously apart from the night out I previoulsy mentioned), doesn't mean he's disconnecting from fans, like you say. He's already explained what he's doing, and shouldn't have to stop every 2 minutes to update himself.

His time after he's finished work for the day is his own, to do what he wants to do, and if he doesn't want to disclose details on the album at the present time, that's his perogative. Perhaps he wants to surprise everyone with it this time, we'll soon be hearing some songs soon enough in July.

The fact that other people tweet about certain things he has been doing, not counting this Italian show, is not really anything he hadn't already talked about, the album, or projects he's worked on. Just because he himself hasn't elaborated on them, doesn't mean we weren't already aware of it.

Again if others tweet about private gigs, it's their perogative, as it's his if he chooses not to.

And I agree, good for him about getting big money gigs, if I was offered a run that paid a big amount of cash, I'd be on the road in seconds:naughty:

Thanks everyone for all the pics & vids :flowers2:

I must admit I was a bit disappointed to see him again wearing his usual 'gig uniform' :teehee:

Not that I consider that the appearence is essential but I've got the feeling that I'm always watching the same vids and pictures & the same Mika... again and again and again from a gig to another :blink: - not to mention the Grevin museum

I know some of you are attached to his good old clothes (:wink2: to Elena & Rose) but a show is not the RL and a bit of novelty would not be detrimental to the quality of the show :naughty:

I sincerelly hope we will have something new this summer...

Actually, random clothes would be fine :pinkbow:

Edited by francoise

I must admit I was a bit disappointed to see him again wearing his usual 'gig uniform' :teehee:

Not that I consider that the appearence is essential but I've got the feeling that I'm always watching the same vids and pictures & the same Mika... again and again and again from a gig to another :blink: - not to mention the Grevin museum

I know some of you are attached to his good old clothes (:wink2: to Elena & Rose) but a show is not the RL and a bit of novelty would not be detrimental to the quality of the show :naughty:

if i remember correctly, he does wear random clothes/outfits during festivals. that's when the white overalls came out, the baggy jeans, and a few cute t-shirts, such as the St-James white & blue shirt, which he wore... alot! :naughty:

if i remember correctly, he does wear random clothes/outfits during festivals. that's when the white overalls came out, the baggy jeans, and a few cute t-shirts, such as the St-James white & blue shirt, which he wore... alot! :naughty:

Really? I only remember the white dungarees at Pinkpop last year :teehee:

For me, the rest was only red striped tee-shirt, blue or beige waistcoat and the jacket with the dove :roftl:

Well anyway.. that's not very important. It was just a wishful thinking :teehee:

But online it's harder to tell - you can't hear their tone of voice or anything. :aah:

Trust me, I've put up long enough with her to tell the difference between mocking and being serious, on the internet or in real life.

Ask the lady in the parking garage:mf_rosetinted:

Of course WE think he needs fans. :teehee: The question is, does Mika think he needs fans? I think he knows this and has said so many times. So the real question is does he want them enough to do what it takes to keep them engaged?

I understand that people like you and Kath and Ingie and Jazzy are not bothered whether he tweets or not. You are going to gigs in a few weeks and are anticipating lots of contact. This is how Mika built up fan relationships in 2007. He wasn't tweeting or blogging then either, just connecting with fans at the gigs.

But most of Mika's fans are not in this position. They can't connect with him in this way. It's not possible for them to go to a dozen gigs a year, year after year. He can reach 1.5 million people on Facebook with 1/10th the effort it requires him to sign autographs for fans in a back alley after a gig. So...why not?

funnypunshisspideysense.jpg

Just had to do that:naughty:

But even when I didn't have any gigs to look forward too, I wasn't too bothered by his irregular tweeting. Guess that's my down-to-earth Dutch nature.

T4P!

That maxiscreen is just...awww...amazing :wub2:

Is possible to see every small detail :fangurl:

Think the same:wub2: And he looks lovely on this big screen.:blush-anim-cl:

I'm sorry for you Sarina:huglove: My reaction would certainly be the same as yours :sad:

But concernig Mika's dis-connection to his fans we say "far from eyes, far from heart". And I fell something like that for time being.:dunno:

He is crazier when fans are around :shun:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He misses mfcers front row

ditto :mf_rosetinted:

I'm still waiting for the first ever Mika gig of my life (Balaton, 8th July 2011 :wub2:) and I wouldn't want this to be my first one. you can see he's just doing the job, not giving his heart into it :thumb_yello:

and about the Twitter subject again, let me just quote one of Mika's first tweets: "I only came here to stalk on Stephen Fry" :naughty:

and since Stephen is not tweeting the usual amount of hundred tweets a day for a long, long time now, it's only understandable that Mika lost interest in it as well :naughty:

So we didn't miss anything special this time:lmfao:

Seriously it's wonderful to see him again, but got the impression he didn't bother so much with this gig as everything seems like his usual routine, including clothes :teehee: