Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is wrong with discussing Mika's finances? it's not like we know details about it :naughty: it's not that personal, even newspapers published amounts.

i don't understand why money is personal, but his undies, the sweat on his body, the hair on his chest aren't? :dunno:

:biggrin2:

However, you and Sara seem to think something has permanently changed. You think he doesn't need fans anymore?

Of course WE think he needs fans. :teehee: The question is, does Mika think he needs fans? I think he knows this and has said so many times. So the real question is does he want them enough to do what it takes to keep them engaged?

I understand that people like you and Kath and Ingie and Jazzy are not bothered whether he tweets or not. You are going to gigs in a few weeks and are anticipating lots of contact. This is how Mika built up fan relationships in 2007. He wasn't tweeting or blogging then either, just connecting with fans at the gigs.

But most of Mika's fans are not in this position. They can't connect with him in this way. It's not possible for them to go to a dozen gigs a year, year after year. He can reach 1.5 million people on Facebook with 1/10th the effort it requires him to sign autographs for fans in a back alley after a gig. So...why not?

i don't understand why money is personal, but his undies, the sweat on his body, the hair on his chest aren't? :dunno:

Indeed! :lmfao:

Maybe I missed something in these discussions but I was only talking about the profitability of Mika's BUSINESS. I don't recall anything about his personal finances and really if someone wants to get outraged about people discussing Mika's personal things, please start with a rant in the body parts threads because those are far more personal topics. :naughty:

what is wrong with discussing Mika's finances? it's not like we know details about it :naughty: it's not that personal, even newspapers published amounts.

Just because newspapers publish it, it doesn't mean it's not personal. It just means that they have no boundaries whatsoever and that we live in a money obsessed culture.

How much do you earn? Would you like to give us a full breakdown of your finances? And if not, would you be happy that we start discussing them regardless? It's something people only really talk about with those close to them, and just because Mika's famous, it doesn't mean all aspects of his life can be thrown out so the public can devour them. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the music he makes, and let's face it, whether he's rolling in cash or consolidating his debts with Ocean Finance, it's none of our business.

Perhaps things are a bit different where you are, but over here it is bad form to openly discuss how much somebody earns. I don't even really know how much my Dad earns, it's that much of a private thing.

Indeed! :lmfao:

Maybe I missed something in these discussions but I was only talking about the profitability of Mika's BUSINESS. I don't recall anything about his personal finances and really if someone wants to get outraged about people discussing Mika's personal things, please start with a rant in the body parts threads because those are far more personal topics. :naughty:

well, exactly. certainly not discussing personal financial details, but the business side of it :naughty:

well, exactly. certainly not discussing personal financial details, but the business side of it :naughty:

So you mean you wish to discuss the finances of the record company? Because it all goes through them first and after they stripped away everything they possibly can, they let him have what's left, just like how every business pays their employees.

Mika doesn't actually own the Mika business himself. He's under contract with the record company, so any of "Mika's" finances actually are personal, because it's his personal money, it's not the business as a whole.

So you mean you wish to discuss the finances of the record company? Because it all goes through them first and after they stripped away everything they possibly can, they let him have what's left, just like how every business pays their employees.

Were we, or were we not discussing the profitability of Mika's tours? Jazzy I think it was you who brought Mika's personal finances into it by discussing his mortgage and his ability to buy baked beans, not Guylaine... :naughty:

Were we, or were we not discussing the profitability of Mika's tours? Jazzy I think it was you who brought Mika's personal finances into it by discussing his mortgage and his ability to buy baked beans, not Guylaine... :naughty:

Yeeees but the money doesn't go straight from ticketmaster to his pocket, it goes through a whole series of other people before he's allowed to see it.

Aaaand I was simply saying that to put into perspective that he DOES have bills to pay because people seemed to be upset that he was doing something private for lots and lots of money, which obviously makes him a complete sell out. I wasn't discussing his personal earnings, simply hammering home the point that money is a necessity to us all, even him, and just like us, he has to get off his bum if he wants to live in a nice house. That's what I was contesting. It's like he was being judge (at that point of this lengthy, lengthy discussion for actually wanting to have some money. People seemed averse to the idea that he was earning money by doing something that didn't benefit his fans, but benefited himself. Somebody shut him in jail and throw away the key, he's such an awful person.

So really, it's two separate subjects. Back then, it was the fact that he needs to earn money and shouldn't feel bad about having to do so. Now however, we're talking about profits etc etc. If you want to talk about what he brings in to his record company, that's more than fair, but what I'm trying to say, and I thought I'd made it clear in my previous post but apparently not, is that if we talk of Mika's finances we talk of something belonging to him. If you're talking of the profitability of his tours/albums/whatever, then it's the profit that the record company are making from him.

that's what i'm talking about, not Mika's personal finances, of course those are private.

when we saw in that newspaper (magazine?) how much Mika "the artist" made, i don't recall anyone saying that was private... we were all saying "go Mika! congrats!" etc...

I'm not sure how things are done in the UK, but here, there is a difference in Mika the artist & Mika the person... there is most likely a company inbetween.

Lots of people who earn large sums of money do this... not just artists, as far as i know.

that way, if ever Mika the artist goes bankrupt, it doesn't affect Mika the person (yes, he would be affected, but at no risk of losing house, car etc...)

does that make sense?

that's what i'm talking about, not Mika's personal finances, of course those are private.

when we saw in that newspaper (magazine?) how much Mika "the artist" made, i don't recall anyone saying that was private... we were all saying "go Mika! congrats!" etc...

I'm not sure how things are done in the UK, but here, there is a difference in Mika the artist & Mika the person... there is most likely a company inbetween.

Lots of people who earn large sums of money do this... not just artists, as far as i know.

that way, if ever Mika the artist goes bankrupt, it doesn't affect Mika the person (yes, he would be affected, but at no risk of losing house, car etc...)

does that make sense?

Honestly, I personally find those rich list things a bit...well. Sickening probably is too strong a word, but it's a very odd form of journalism no doubt. And yes, congrats were given because it's a measure of his success, but publishing numbers (despite the fact that they're guessed numbers and most likely not anywhere near the real figures) is a little too materialistic for my liking. It's like they're presenting this list of people to the public and saying 'look, all these people have more numbers in their bank accounts than you'. I don't personally agree with it.

Just look at the backlash Adele got when she made eight million quid and complained about having to pay taxes. It's a very delicate subject.

And if Mika the artist went bankrupt it would most likely affect him. Record companies give artists debt on a huge scale, and they only pay their wages once the money from the debt has been made back, so if he were to go bankrupt at the wrong point, (though I don't suppose there's ever a right point) he'd be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

... I can see the topic of the conversation has changed slightly in the last couple of hours...:naughty:

Let me just comment on one bit:

People seemed averse to the idea that he was earning money by doing something that didn't benefit his fans, but benefited himself. Somebody shut him in jail and throw away the key, he's such an awful person.

I did not notice anyone saying or thinking that... :blink:

What I did notice, however, were fans trying to make others believe that whatever Mika does is benefiting 'us' as if his whole life had to be centered around his fans. :pinkbow: I find such utopian thoughts more potentially 'dangerous' to spread than discussing how much Mika, as a brand is 'worth'.

All figures we were mentioning on this thread are not only public but are very often used to compare the brand equity of artists. If we take the figures for what they, there is nothing wrong with discussing them. :dunno:

Aaaand I was simply saying that to put into perspective that he DOES have bills to pay because people seemed to be upset that he was doing something private for lots and lots of money, which obviously makes him a complete sell out.

I didn't interpret anyone's comments as implying that Mika is a sell out or an awful person.

What I saw was people expressing disappointment that Mika is not maintaining a connection with his fans because he doesn't even tell his Italian fans when he is in Milan. A lot of people have been feeling this disappointment, which is why this discussion comes up repeatedly and why many long time fans don't even bother to talk about Mika at all anymore because they have lost interest in what he's doing.

Instead of empathizing with this disappointment or just saying simply, I don't feel that same lack of connection or the connection is not as important to me as it seems to be to you...what happens is people try to "defend" Mika with excuses. Excuses that don't hold any water...like Mika is too engrossed in making an album to connect to his fans. But we have seen time and time again that Mika is not too engrossed in his album to do many other things, including performing at private gigs. There is no plausible reason why Mika can't keep in touch with his fans, so the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't want to. If you tell people they are wrong in that conclusion then the subject of him performing at private gigs is going to come up because that's what we know he's been doing with some of his time. In fact it's just about the only thing we know he's been doing with his time because he doesn't tell us anything.

Does anyone begrudge him making money at private gigs? Not me!!! The more the better. I hope he's charging these people $1 million because he deserves it and how lucky am I to have gotten even better and more special performances for free or close to it?? :biggrin2: I think it's awesome that Mika can command the kind of money that (I hope) he does and if he wants to blow it on champagne for MFC or a 50 foot blow up Big Girl doll or 3 washing machines or some ugly chandeliers or just driving around London with flowers cascading out of his convertible, that is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. :roftl:

[YOUTUBE]WPdSnjOYfpI[/YOUTUBE]

I love that screen behind and the fact that it's out of synch. It's like you've got two different Mika's performing at the same time. :naughty:

Now we are talking about differences in culture. :naughty: In Canada, USA, and also here in Holland there's nothing wrong about talking money,how much someone earnes. other countries think it's not polite to do so.

We have the Quote 500, a list of the 500 richest people of the country, it includes the millions they own.:wink2:

From the news I read, I think the concert was @ Palazzo reale, and it was private, he was asked to perform and there were also dj sets by skin and sophie ellis...

I have posted a thread about this, but now I think it's in the wrong section.. :D

Anyway, this is the only video I could find... mika is in the last 25 seconds more or less!

http://www.style.it//Video/lifestyle/lifestyle/swarovski_fashionation_milano_HD/player.aspx

Does anyone begrudge him making money at private gigs? Not me!!! The more the better. I hope he's charging these people $1 million because he deserves it and how lucky am I to have gotten even better and more special performances for free or close to it?? :biggrin2: I think it's awesome that Mika can command the kind of money that (I hope) he does and if he wants to blow it on champagne for MFC or a 50 foot blow up Big Girl doll or 3 washing machines or some ugly chandeliers or just driving around London with flowers cascading out of his convertible, that is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. :roftl:

:lmfao:

:bow::bow::bow:

Now we are talking about differences in culture. :naughty: In Canada, USA, and also here in Holland there's nothing wrong about talking money,how much someone earnes. other countries think it's not polite to do so.

Yup! That's why some people were like "WTF, we can't talk about whether or not his tours are profitable, but we can talk about his body hair?" :roftl:

In certain countries it's just not a terribly private thing. :dunno:

We have the Quote 500, a list of the 500 richest people of the country, it includes the millions they own.:wink2:

It is the same in the UK. They even have a website specially dedicated for that.

Most European countries have a list of the wealthiest people and it also exists in the Arabic world. Publishing those figures are different from asking a person how much they earn. That is culture dependent and also depends on the type of relationship you have with that person. However, the contract fees of footballers and musicians are widely published and discussed as that is more like the value of their own brand. For example, here we are just openly discussing why and for how much a Hungarian footballer left Eindhoven for a ridiculously high sum he gets in... Dagestan (:blink:).

Edited by suzie

I didn't interpret anyone's comments as implying that Mika is a sell out or an awful person.

What I saw was people expressing disappointment that Mika is not maintaining a connection with his fans because he doesn't even tell his Italian fans when he is in Milan. A lot of people have been feeling this disappointment, which is why this discussion comes up repeatedly and why many long time fans don't even bother to talk about Mika at all anymore because they have lost interest in what he's doing.

Instead of empathizing with this disappointment or just saying simply, I don't feel that same lack of connection or the connection is not as important to me as it seems to be to you...what happens is people try to "defend" Mika with excuses. Excuses that don't hold any water...like Mika is too engrossed in making an album to connect to his fans. But we have seen time and time again that Mika is not too engrossed in his album to do many other things, including performing at private gigs. There is no plausible reason why Mika can't keep in touch with his fans, so the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't want to. If you tell people they are wrong in that conclusion then the subject of him performing at private gigs is going to come up because that's what we know he's been doing with some of his time. In fact it's just about the only thing we know he's been doing with his time because he doesn't tell us anything.

The feeling I got from what was said by a few was that people begrudged him doing private gigs because he wasn't doing anything public. This was at the beginning of the discussion, when the mortgages and baked beans were mentioned. It didn't move on to the old twitter debate until a fair while later, so the "connection" stuff is a bit irrelevant to what was being discussed before.

Though, now we're discussing it, my two cents on the whole twitter "thing" are as follows. Really, I don't particularly care if he tweets or not. That's just me. I don't need it. I like that he pops in every now and then to let us know he's still alive, but otherwise, I don't particularly need him to do so like others do. However, I feel it is important not to mix the idea of him not wanting to "connect" (I'm sorry, I really hate that word) and him not caring about fans. I think right now he probably wants to keep himself to himself on his down time. In my opinion, that's fair enough, he is his own person. Other people wish for him to stay in touch, a wish that I understand but don't share. I don't think anyone should think for a second that he doesn't care about his fans though. I have friends I don't speak to for months and months at a time. It doesn't mean I don't like them, or care about them, I'm just properly sh*t at keeping in touch. My parents get two phone calls from me a term if they're lucky (or unlucky, depending on your view point). It's how I am, and it's how he appears to be when he's not touring. As somebody like that, I can understand that, so it doesn't bother me. I feel like I'm rambling now and I hope I've made my point because my dinner's just about ready. :aah:

I'd hesitate to call the convertible "fantastic" though. Screams mid life crisis to me. Poor lad. :naughty:

From the news I read, I think the concert was @ Palazzo reale, and it was private, he was asked to perform and there were also dj sets by skin and sophie ellis...

I have posted a thread about this, but now I think it's in the wrong section.. :D

Anyway, this is the only video I could find... mika is in the last 25 seconds more or less!

http://www.style.it//Video/lifestyle/lifestyle/swarovski_fashionation_milano_HD/player.aspx

I think people have been so busy arguing they hadn't noticed your post!!! :sneaky2:

Thankyou for the link to the video, they zoomed on his shoes alot :naughty:

The feeling I got from what was said by a few was that people begrudged him doing private gigs because he wasn't doing anything public. This was at the beginning of the discussion, when the mortgages and baked beans were mentioned. It didn't move on to the old twitter debate until a fair while later, so the "connection" stuff is a bit irrelevant to what was being discussed before.

Though, now we're discussing it, my two cents on the whole twitter "thing" are as follows. Really, I don't particularly care if he tweets or not. That's just me. I don't need it. I like that he pops in every now and then to let us know he's still alive, but otherwise, I don't particularly need him to do so like others do. However, I feel it is important not to mix the idea of him not wanting to "connect" (I'm sorry, I really hate that word) and him not caring about fans. I think right now he probably wants to keep himself to himself on his down time. In my opinion, that's fair enough, he is his own person. Other people wish for him to stay in touch, a wish that I understand but don't share. I don't think anyone should think for a second that he doesn't care about his fans though. I have friends I don't speak to for months and months at a time. It doesn't mean I don't like them, or care about them, I'm just properly sh*t at keeping in touch. My parents get two phone calls from me a term if they're lucky (or unlucky, depending on your view point). It's how I am, and it's how he appears to be when he's not touring. As somebody like that, I can understand that, so it doesn't bother me. I feel like I'm rambling now and I hope I've made my point because my dinner's just about ready. :aah:

I'd hesitate to call the convertible "fantastic" though. Screams mid life crisis to me. Poor lad. :naughty:

He's not really middle-aged though. It's perfectly normal for people to have convertibles, no matter what age. Although most of the time, people under 35 have them. He IS under 35. Mika having one isn't really a mid-life crisis.