Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

Did he not have to transport the set out there?

Or did he have a second set in reserve, I thought I saw somewhere that he had an A and a B set, one more transportable than the other, even so transportation costs to the Asian gigs can't have been cheap, unless he had another set built out there, which again is more money to shell out.

It all builds up.

Just because there are costs doesn't mean it is not profitable. Sorry Rose, this is just speculation. We don't have any reason to think that Mika is not earning money from touring at this point in his career. His days of blowing thousands on rented costumes when he is only charging $15 per ticket to a crowd of 600 are in the past.

I am not criticizing Mika AT ALL. We all wished for success for him right from day one and I am happy to see him succeed and earn a good living. He deserves it. He's more talented than 95% of the people in showbusiness and he's not ripping me off $150 per ticket like Gaga et al. I am grateful for it believe me!

I don't see any need to rationalize and try to make excuses. What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? He's not robbing from children, he's just earning some money. :naughty:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree :mf_rosetinted:

In fact we were spending the money this summer in the spanish-portuguese fans meet,so... if you Mika just read our post about that meet up, and decided to go to Mares Vivas just to please us even if they don´t pay you, thank you :mf_rosetinted:

If you Mika just go to Mares Vivas cause you are earning a lot of money, thank you too.

:aah::aah:

:lmfao:

Exactly. Do you job, boy. Do your job... Make money, pay your bills, feed your dog, etc, and we'll take care of the fun. That and buying the tickets so that you can do all the above mentioned stuff. :mf_rosetinted:

Just because there are costs doesn't mean it is not profitable. Sorry Rose, this is just speculation. We don't have any reason to think that Mika is not earning money from touring at this point in his career. His days of blowing thousands on rented costumes when he is only charging $15 per ticket to a crowd of 600 are in the past.

I am not criticizing Mika AT ALL. We all wished for success for him right from day one and I am happy to see him succeed and earn a good living. He deserves it. He's more talented than 95% of the people in showbusiness and he's not ripping me off $150 per ticket like Gaga et al. I am grateful for it believe me!

I don't see any need to rationalize and try to make excuses. What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? He's not robbing from children, he's just earning some money. :naughty:

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

that is almost the double of Low Cost :mf_rosetinted:

by the way, if Mika is too expensive, I know an irish guy who could sing Mika´s songs. :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously, I think Mika has a canon (I don´t really know if it´s the way you say it, it means that he worths xx and that is the amount he´s earning each time he performs) and he´s not changing it according to the possibilities of the festival... If you want him, he worths 300.000 euros. That´s all. That´s my opinion :aah::aah:

But we already knew that, Rosita....

Bu it's spelled with 2 n's...:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

:floor:

I ignored it, but I DID have the feeling someone wouldn't... :roftl::roftl:

but Sarina, how would you have shown him your support?

I said it, just wih a tweet or something like that to show we care about his projects, gigs, music and everything. But it's hard to do that if you're not supposed to know about what he's doing...!

when Imma wrote about Milan I saw many tweets with messages and there was a connection with her...people told her good luck, have a nice day etc..this is what I mean..

Why would you need to show him your support like that?

I mean, he KNOWS we're here. We show him our support on a daily basis, by posting on MFC, promoting whatever he's doing, such as his columns or new collaborations, etc...

You could wish him good luck for everything, the same way you can tweet him everyday saying "I'm here, I support you", but honestly, I don't think it would change anything... :dunno:

Like I replied above is the connection that matters...it's hard to show any kind of support if you're not suppose to know what's going on...

I did mention that earlier, that the record company probably put some money up, but they have to recoup that money, usually from album sales like you said before. But as the last album didn't do quite as well as the first, as Jazzy mentioned, it must have been pretty tight this time around.

I agree with you about the last album etc..and I also think that the tour with all the scenography was really expensive and maybe they went out of budget but I also think that the festivals are a usefull way to raise money fast: almost no scenography and less costumes and I think that part of the money is re-used to pay for the new CD etc..but I don't think Mika is making private gigs to pay the next tour...I hope isnt necessary because I hope the record company will give money for that....

Gotta go now. Will reply tomorrow if you have more questions about me and my silly thoughts ;)

Edited by Sarina

Yes, I know, but when there are contracts with sponsosrs and all, it may change, no? :dunno: Or it can be something like "Mika costs between X and Y" and then they negociate.

I was about to mention the role of sponsors at these festivals, too. @basicamenteyo mentioned earlier that the organiser wouldn't be able to pay Mika from the ticket sales alone. Obviously, he can't be prepared to make a loss on bringing him over there, though, just for his lovely eyes, so the rest of the money must come from companies sponsoring the festival.

Similarly, like you say, sponsors might have a deal with the artist directly. For example, the festival at Lake Balaton is sponsored by Heineken and it is almost obvious The Asterioid Galaxy Tour are coming (they are the face/ music of H's latest campaign). Similarly, Mika's appearance at a Romanian beach festival was sponsored by a mobile provier, as far as I remember. (2-3 of Mika's songs were used in the adverts of the company last year)

you b*tches tongue.gif

I searched in the dictio. It says "levy" or "tax" but since you both are portuguese AND YOU BOTH UNDERSTAND SPANISH, and no one of the others complained.... :shun: I know you understood me :shun:

My overall point was I don't think he's making the massive amounts of money everyone thinks he is. Especially after the last budget, when high earners tax went up, although it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron had some sort of loophole in there somewhere:naughty:

And I've always supported anything he has done, I agree he's most likely the most talented singer songwriter we have here at the moment, with the exception of Adele.

Yes they are IMO and I'll try to explain why again even if my english won't help me. Doesn't matter if people pay tickets or not..but if we're talking about a birthday party where only friends and parents are invited and it's organized by a singular person (rich or not..) not famous or something similar you can't compare it with an EVENT organized by a company where the guests are famous, it's a public thing, papers and tv talked about it..isnt the same thing at all.

About the support, I mentioned twitter like you said because it stills the most direct way to send messages and I only would like to say just a "good luck" or something like that to feel a part of something releated to Mika. I dont see the point of doing it now considering that he didn't tweet about it and we knew it thanks to a person who told us...how can you show support like that?

A company is not a part of the public domain. It is a private business, and as such, any events it chooses to host for the promotion of its BRAND, not for the promotion of MIKA, are understandably kept private in the run up to it.

I wasn't given tickets to the Brit awards when he performed, nor am I given tickets to every corporate event that my favourite comedians perform at. If it was in the newspapers then it has created the desired effect for the BRAND. They have received publicity. Mika isn't the point of it. He's just there for a bit of entertainment and eye candy. He was not the most important person there that night. Not to everyone else there at least.

As for showing your support, I'm sure he can get through a private gig without your well wishes, so try not to feel to devastated about that.

I'm saving up for Mika to do a private gig for my next birthday. How much Mika can I get for £4.30?

A quick flash of his big toe:roftl:

I was about to mention the role of sponsors at these festivals, too. @basicamenteyo mentioned earlier that the organiser wouldn't be able to pay Mika from the ticket sales alone. Obviously, he can't be prepared to make a loss on bringing him over there, though, just for his lovely eyes, so the rest of the money must come from companies sponsoring the festival.

Similarly, like you say, sponsors might have a deal with the artist directly. For example, the festival at Lake Balaton is sponsored by Heineken and it is almost obvious The Asterioid Galaxy Tour are coming (they are the face/ music of H's latest campaign). Similarly, Mika's appearance at a Romanian beach festival was sponsored by a mobile provier, as far as I remember. (2-3 of Mika's songs were used in the adverts of the company last year)

Yep!

With Mika and TMN it started with WAG on the TV ads, then they sponsored his gig in Lisbon, then he came to Sudoeste TMN (as the name says, they're the main sponsor),and now, Marés Vivas TMN.

With Scissor Sisters it's being the same: first, song on ads, after that a gig to promote the album, and now they're coming to Sudoeste TMN, just like Mika.

So I guess it becomes pretty obvious when there's a connection between sponsors and artists... :teehee:

you b*tches tongue.gif

I searched in the dictio. It says "levy" or "tax" but since you both are portuguese AND YOU BOTH UNDERSTAND SPANISH, and no one of the others complained.... :shun: I know you understood me :shun:

tongueout.jpg

I do understand what Sarina is meaning (I think). She wanted Mika to openly tell/tweet that he is doing a private gig in Milan so Italian fans could have shown their support by tweeting back (you are in our country/good luck/enjoy/we are thinking of you even we are not there).

I can understand that people want to have a connection with him, we all do. But he has done many private things, even company things, in different countries, and he doesn't usually tell about it. (I know some artists tell they are doing private gigs even if they don't give any details.)

He has been distant lately. I feel I'm already used to it that he is doing this with his own terms. He gives a lot when he is on tours, doesn't he? And after that he hides from his fans for months when he is working. He will be back. And we all know it would be useful to his career to keep average fans informed and core fans happy even during breaks etc, but he is quite stubborn :teehee:

I would love to know more about economics behind his tours. I mean real numbers. We can't know, of course, but it would be very interesting. This is a funny thread indeed, now I'm thinking of new shoes too. For myself, not him. :roftl:

I said it, just wih a tweet or something like that to show we care about his projects, gigs, music and everything. But it's hard to do that if you're not supposed to know about what he's doing...!

when Imma wrote about Milan I saw many tweets with messages and there was a connection with her...people told her good luck, have a nice day etc..this is what I mean..

I understand what you mean, Sarina :thumb_yello: Unfortunately Mika chooses not to interact with us in that way.

I can understand that too, since the more he tweets, the more he is deluged with stupid comments which must make it hard for him to see genuine expressions of goodwill and support.