Out of tune?

Douleur

Well, I tried to write a song once or twice. I couldn't remember all the lyrics of my own songs! And I doubted about the tune the first 15 times I sang it. I wonder how Mika can do it with so many of them :naughty: I guess EMD, Karen and the new ones are, precisely new. They are open to eventual changes as well (just look at I'm falling/ I see you). He has to get used to sing them of stage. My brother is a musician and it is hard for him too, he needs a lot of practice to domain his own songs.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I tried to write a song once or twice. I couldn't remember all the lyrics of my own songs! And I doubted about the tune the first 15 times I sang it. I wonder how Mika can do it with so many of them :naughty: I guess EMD, Karen and the new ones are, precisely new. They are open to eventual changes as well (just look at I'm falling/ I see you). He has to get used to sing them of stage. My brother is a musician and it is hard for him too, he needs a lot of practice to domain his own songs.

excellent points!

last night i was wondering if his dyslexia has anything to w/ why he forgets lyrics? :dunno:

i've listened to EMD in English at least three or four times a day since he first performed it live and i still mess bits of it up all the time!

Thanks for your post, Sienna, I agree with what you said there. And, you know, not only has he listened in the past, but he's actually asked people directly for feedback/criticism sometimes. Without prompting, just him asking.

Sari, has any of you asked him if he has a vocal coach? I always wondered...:blush-anim-cl:

He or she could be the right person to tell him how to make his song sound better, to tell him he's out of tune without putting his/her life on a risk...:aah:

Sometimes they are like therapists: if you're anxious, they have tricks to make you relax before a show. Some of them hurt a little, but I swear they work! Hahahaha.

And they don't need to be like Alla Ardakov. So he has nothing to be afraid of :teehee:

I still have no time to reply to all the recent posts yet, so let me just answer one of the latests on this thread:

Everyone wants different things from him. You hate his flowery set but at the same time he should not use his time for visual things. Some people want new songs, some wants them raw and some want them only totally perfect. The list is endless. He just can't please everyone. So he makes his own decisions, we make ours.

I don't think that people not liking his flower set, him performing new songs or singing flat occasionally are related at all:dunno: It's not that he decides that one day he is going to please Sara and not wear an orange jacket and the next he decides to please you and hang fake paintings behind him.

Like it was mentioned and accepted here before, he is a musician and most people want him to put that in focus. Whether people like the set when at the gig is irrelevant to the way the music is perceived. However, when there is clearly more attention paid on the sets and costumes than making sure he knows how and what he is going to sing, some fans start asking questions.

ok, one more post before I turn off my computer. Again from @tiibet as they have such clear points and are easy to answer quickly to add to the points / arguments here:

He could have refused to sing his new songs in Compiegne (I don't think it was his idea alone, we can guess the timing had something to do with ticket marketing) because he wasn't totally prepared especially with BIOTW but

a) he knew people are looking forward to his new music

b) those three songs fit well with his show

c) he must know many fans appreciate hearing "raw" versions for his songs.

a, it was him / Universal that created the expectations - it was not really him doing a favour (basically, they were promoting the show with the promise of the new songs, so he had to sing new songs)

b, 'fit well' with what? unless you mean French songs in France, of course. BIOTW was the odd one out.

c, the raw version of the song does not equal an out of tune one. :teehee:

I do understand, however, that he wanted to sing a new English song, too, to 'please' non-French audience but perhaps without revealing any of his already existing, great songs he has for the album. I prefer to live in that belief, anyway :roftl:

I don't think that people not liking his flower set, him performing new songs or singing flat occasionally are related at all:dunno: It's not that he decides that one day he is going to please Sara and not wear an orange jacket and the next he decides to please you and hang fake paintings behind him.

:roftl: That was NOT what I meant, of course. What I meant was that because he knows he can't please everyone in any case, he takes risks and he makes his decisions based on his own ideas, thoughts and motives. And whatever he does, someone is complaining and not happy :wink2: (btw, of course those paintings are fake. You don't expect him to put real paintings in wind and rain? :teehee:)

a, it was him / Universal that created the expectations - it was not really him doing a favour (basically, they were promoting the show with the promise of the new songs, so he had to sing new songs)

b, 'fit well' with what? unless you mean French songs in France, of course. BIOTW was the odd one out.

c, the raw version of the song does not equal an out of tune one. :teehee:

I do understand, however, that he wanted to sing a new English song, too, to 'please' non-French audience but perhaps without revealing any of his already existing, great songs he has for the album. I prefer to live in that belief, anyway :roftl:

Well, I saw the show several times and I thought every time that the new songs "fit well" with the set, especially BIOTW. It's not the same when you see only videos, but that's how it felt when I experienced it and I heard other people saying the same. BIOTW is theatrical, it's not a natural/delicate love song if it is performed that way. Feel free to disagree, but that's how I thought when I saw it live (that it wasn't a bad decision to combine the song with the set/costumes).

I think it was you who told us that not enough practicing can either cause or make singer worse out of tune or at least not confident enough to handle those situations (lol, very bad English, I hope you can understand). So I thought raw/early version -> not much rehearsing behind -> more easily problems with the tune. But this was only how I understood some posts earlier, and maybe it wasn't you who said it. Sorry if I'm using wrong terms, please just correct me!

Btw, good to have you back! :biggrin2:

Edit: And I guess we all agree that it was a good decision to save his best songs for album releasing and not to reveal them too early. The French songs are supposed to be bonus tracks.

I think "you can't please everyone" is a total copout. 6 million people went out and bought LICM before he was putting on theatrical shows and singing French songs. I don't understand how singing in English and wearing jeans/t-shirt (for example) could displease any of his fans.

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but I want to say, that I agree, that Mika doesn't sing EMD live very well.. And it's not just at Bestfest, and other gigs/festivals where he was dancing and jumping around. The premiere performance on NRJ radio for example. He was standing almost still (if it's even possible in his case:wink2:) but he didn't sing well. I suppose it's really hard song to sing. I tried singing it too, but wouldn't say it's a good reason to excuse him:aah: i mean, he's a musician, singer, he records songs and releases albums. His work is to sing. We all know 'artists' who are famous but they don't really have good voices. That's not what Mika is. He's really talented, he CAN sing, but not 'Elle me dit'. If it was written by him (or for him) he should be able to sing it right. And we shouldn't say "be satisfied, at least you can hear that he's singing live, not lip syncing" because he can do more than that.

I hope you understand my point. I don't wanna offend Mika or any of you. I love him like we all do, and I'm absolutely obsessed with his voice, music, personality and what he does:teehee:. But I'm also trying to be objective. I love the song, but it's quite clear to me, that he doesn't sing it well.

I think "you can't please everyone" is a total copout. 6 million people went out and bought LICM before he was putting on theatrical shows and singing French songs. I don't understand how singing in English and wearing jeans/t-shirt (for example) could displease any of his fans.

He could do songs I like, at gigs I'm not at.

That wouldn't please me.

Reading again many of these posts... maybe there are songs written to sing live, and many others are just to be recorded...

Have you ever thought of Kick Ass? Well, I already tried to explain this months ago but I´m not sure if I can do it fine... That song is recorded in a different speech, as if his voice is a bit fastforward... like... more quickly?? :aah: anyway, that song is powerful and stuff, but he CAN´T sing it live. Not that he´s a bad singer, obviously he is a great singer, but that song... Now I can´t remember where it was, but there is a good video of thim singing it live, and you perfectly can hear his voice. It´s not that his voice is bad, but it sounds totally flat. I know it´s great to dance and jump, but if you pay attention to his voice, it´s :aah:

I guess it´s not the same as for EMD, since he already sang it live at Radio Whatever, but... well, I don´t know. It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

About the flowery set... Well, as I said, I saw the show 6 times now and I expected something new. In my defense I´d say that he only sang EMD in my two last gigs. No Karen and no BIOTW (THANK GOD!), so, the only knew for me was EMD and in french.... :dunno: I expected anything new... In the other hand, Tiibet was right. With the flowery set he has nothing to focuse in than his songs and that show was far better than the one in Porto with the MA set...

So, next time Mika, I want you without any distractions. No set, no costumes, no clothes, no.... oh well, you can wear your pants and a t-shirt :shun:

Erm... Mika is focused in recording, isn´t he? He´s not stalking now... is he??

Hi Mika!!! :pinkbow: forget everything I said. I love you!! :pinkbow:

:roftl::roftl:

I used that expression because I can't explain his acts (as neither of us can), he has his own motives and I don't think he owes anything to people. Well, yes, people pay for his shows, and I'm sure he want always offer a good show. But he is an artist and he makes his decisions.

I LOVE it when he wears jeans/t-shirt but he had this Napoleon idea and maybe he thought this was a suitable time/moment to use it. He sings almost always in English, these French songs are only bonus tracks.

Copout is a very difficult word, I had to google it :teehee:

Well, I saw the flowers in Hungary, and for me the old flowery set and Mika in simple clothes was that "basic" Mika I had missed so much... I could purely enjoy the show and his relaxed performance :mf_lustslow:, it was awesome, one of the highlights for the tour. Compiegne was chaotic and not his best show at all, but I was happy to see the new set at that special venue, and hear the new songs for the first time. After that the show just got better and better, so I really can't complain. It's not that I'm blind or so stupid that I can't see things clearly, but I've learnt to enjoy many different things. For me it's interesting to see him in different situations/see different versions.

My friends were surprised that I went to so many dates on the last tour - surely it's the same show, they said. Well yes it was, and no it wasn't. It was all the little variations in performances that I enjoyed too

Everyone wants different things from him. You hate his flowery set but at the same time he should not use his time for visual things. Some people want new songs, some wants them raw and some want them only totally perfect. The list is endless. He just can't please everyone. So he makes his own decisions, we make ours. So far I have been more than happy and for me it's absolutely worth it.

Very true. I would love him to hit the right notes and be word perfect, but I think you can't expect that live - otherwise you might just as well stay at home and listen to the records :dunno: And I can't remember a live performance at a gig when he didn't fluff the lyrics somewhere along the line. I think that's just how he is.

Btw, the amount of fans who tour with him is always small compared to the whole audience. Most people see Lollipop, BIOTG etc for the first time. For them it doesn't look boring, only practiced :wink2: There is no point to change it too much. I still think he does a lot of small changes to his songs and I always love it, it's worth several watching :wub2:

Yes, I think we tend to forget that most of the audiences are Mika virgins.

Though I have to say, there are some of his hits he could drop now as far as I'm concerned :naughty:

BTW I recall now in Murcia, last summer, when they lost the set in the airport or sthing like that, I think I wrote it in my report, Zuleika and Yasmine were painting that circle Mika had in his astronaut set, you remember? the one in the floor... well, I guess they ordered a new one in the city, and when it arrived, his sisters were painting it at 2pm, under the sun, at 35ºC (he ruined his shirt that night, he laid on it while singing and the paint was still fresh), MamaP asked for fans to help them to glue flowers to the set. Well, Mika arrived like at 5pm with Andy, and he just got stuck in his room and didn´t do anything :roftl:

So, I don´t know this time, but in Murcia, when all his family was working (seriously, it was hard to see Yasmine and Zuleika working while 20 men (sound engineers or sthing like that I guess) were looking at them arms crossed, under the shadow, and the two poor girls there, painting under the sun) he was comfy with Andy in an air-conditioned room :roftl::roftl:

But I was also there. He did the soundcheck while his sisters were painting that thing, didn't he?

[YOUTUBE]aSCrEwUvL7U[/YOUTUBE]

Well, I saw the flowers in Hungary, and for me the old flowery set and Mika in simple clothes was that "basic" Mika I had missed so much... I could purely enjoy the show and his relaxed performance :mf_lustslow:, it was awesome, one of the highlights for the tour.:

Exactly how I felt about Bucharest.

OK, one more post to reply tiibet and then I'll read the posts from others, too :teehee:

:roftl: That was NOT what I meant, of course. What I meant was that because he knows he can't please everyone in any case, he takes risks and he makes his decisions based on his own ideas, thoughts and motives. And whatever he does, someone is complaining and not happy

No, when he sings brilliantly, no-one is complaining. That was my point :wink2: Whatever clothes he is wearing is completely irrelevant when he does a good performance.

(btw, of course those paintings are fake. You don't expect him to put real paintings in wind and rain? :teehee:)

I don't expect him to hang paintings on stage at all. :dunno: The adjective I chose to use was merely to illustrate what I thought of the idea.

Well, I saw the show several times and I thought every time that the new songs "fit well" with the set, especially BIOTW. It's not the same when you see only videos, but that's how it felt when I experienced it and I heard other people saying the same. BIOTW is theatrical, it's not a natural/delicate love song if it is performed that way. Feel free to disagree, but that's how I thought when I saw it live (that it wasn't a bad decision to combine the song with the set/costumes).

You have a point here. The performance looked fake theatrical, so in that way it fit the set. It does come across from videos, too. :naughty:

I thought raw/early version -> not much rehearsing behind -> more easily problems with the tune. But this was only how I understood some posts earlier, and maybe it wasn't you who said it. Sorry if I'm using wrong terms, please just correct me!

No, when someone can sing in tune they sing in tune first time as well. Mika sings flat occasionally because he is nervous not to have prepared and is unsure about the song. You mentioned that you liked to hear his songs 'evolve', whilst to me, singing flat first and then less flat next before performing it properly is just not an evolution. Basically, the argument that an out of tune version can be beautiful sounds so wrong :aah: Even thinking about it feels like scratching nails on a chalkboard. Most definitely, the 'first' version of a song does not mean a version that has to be flat. If one can't do it properly for whatever reason first, they should rehearse it more.

And I guess we all agree that it was a good decision to save his best songs for album releasing and not to reveal them too early. The French songs are supposed to be bonus tracks.

yes, that's what I think, too. And I hope he'll change BIOTW. I really cannot see it appear on the album in this format and lyrical content, especially because of all the producers he is said to be working with.

I used that expression because I can't explain his acts (as neither of us can), he has his own motives and I don't think he owes anything to people. Well, yes, people pay for his shows, and I'm sure he want always offer a good show. But he is an artist and he makes his decisions.

I LOVE it when he wears jeans/t-shirt but he had this Napoleon idea and maybe he thought this was a suitable time/moment to use it. He sings almost always in English, these French songs are only bonus tracks.

Copout is a very difficult word, I had to google it :teehee:

Nina I think this is why our conversations go round and round. It goes like this:

Side 1: Mika didn't spend enough time preparing for the music.

Side 2: Mika is distracted so it's hard for him to concentrate on his music. I liked the show anyway.

Side 1: Yes but he needs to concentrate on the music. This is his job.

Side 2: Mika is very creative so it's hard for him to concentrate on the music. I liked the show anyway.

Side 1: Yes but he needs to concentrate on the music. This is his job.

Side 1: Mika needs to concentrate on the music. This is what music fans want.

Side 2: Mika can't please everyone so there's no point in prioritizing his music because someone will be unhappy regardless. I liked his show anyway.

Side 1: But everyone would be happy if Mika prioritized his music. That's what he was doing when he had 6 million people buying his albums and 50,000 people turning up at his gigs.

Side 2: Mika is an artist and doesn't have to try to please everyone. I liked his show anyway.

Do you see how the responses of Side 2 are not really addressing the points made earlier? If Mika doesn't WANT to please everyone that's an entirely different matter from Mika not being able to please everyone because fans are just too fickle.

The bottom line I'm hearing from Side 2 is that Mika is going to do whatever the hell he wants and we will like anything and everything he comes up with and we don't care what any of his (other) fans think. :roftl:

You know, which is fair enough. :wink2: But you (and I mean generally "you") can just say that instead of coming back with reasons why Mika CAN'T or even SHOULDN'T prioritize his music. Because all those other reasons don't hold any water IMO (which is why Sara calls them "excuses"). The real reason Mika doesn't prioritize his music is because Mika has chosen not to prioritize his music.

Of course you can go ahead and continue the discussion, but I am getting off this merry go round now and leaving you all to it because I'm getting dizzy! :insane::biggrin2:

The thing is .. we can discuss this all we like, but if Mika was actually standing here and we told him all our suggestions for changing/improving his performances, would he actually take any notice anyway? :dunno:

The thing is .. we can discuss this all we like, but if Mika was actually standing here and we told him all our suggestions for changing/improving his performances, would he actually take any notice anyway? :dunno:

He is interested in some people's opinion - basically all those who have one, I guess. :dunno:

Before the Dublin show, for example, he did send Andy out to interview some fans about the concert the day before and I remember stories when certain people's opinion was asked about the new songs..etc. He also said at an earlier m&g that he was interested in what reviews his gig got locally...etc. He does take note.

I don't want to discuss this particular issue of the performances anymore, but I'd like to say something about discussions on MFC in general.

Mika is not standing here. This is a forum for fans. Not Mika's letterbox, not Mika's wall, not even his @replies on Twitter that probably get lost in the ether as soon as they're tweeted. It's a fan forum for fans to discuss things with each other, not to address Mika.

I agree with Suzie that Mika does seek out opinion but that has nothing to do with the discussions we have on MFC. When I've got something to say to Mika I tell him directly or via people who work with him.

I don't know why I can't say, for example, that I don't care about costumes and would rather go to a concert that's focused on music and performance without excuses being made about why Mika CAN'T focus on the music or having words put in my mouth that I'm calling him lazy, etc. Mika doesn't need to be defended against imaginary attacks. He's not here and no one is talking to him.

If you do care about the costumes and enjoy the shows just the way they are then that's great, go ahead and say so. There is no argument against that so everyone can agree to disagree. I want to hear what everyone thinks about these issues because I think it's a great way to get to know people and maybe learn some things. I don't think the point of any discussion on MFC is to change Mika's behaviour. It's to communicate with each other. Many of my friendships were forged through discussions like these that were not just "Mika's so amaaaaaazing and perfect just the way he is :wub2:"

The so-called negative comments are continually reiterated because people feel the need to respond to the excuses that are made, the "bad fan" accusations that are thrown around, etc.

No, when he sings brilliantly, no-one is complaining. That was my point :wink2: Whatever clothes he is wearing is completely irrelevant when he does a good performance.

I don't see it this way at all. If he sings brilliantly in French someone is complaining because he doesn't use English. Some people may say "but he never sings brilliantly in French" but I don't believe so. Of course it can be more difficult for him. There is always someone who wants more.

Thanks for correcting me with musical facts, I take your word because you know much more about music than I do.

Do you see how the responses of Side 2 are not really addressing the points made earlier? If Mika doesn't WANT to please everyone that's an entirely different matter from Mika not being able to please everyone because fans are just too fickle.

The bottom line I'm hearing from Side 2 is that Mika is going to do whatever the hell he wants and we will like anything and everything he comes up with and we don't care what any of his (other) fans think. :roftl:

You know, which is fair enough. :wink2: But you (and I mean generally "you") can just say that instead of coming back with reasons why Mika CAN'T or even SHOULDN'T prioritize his music. Because all those other reasons don't hold any water IMO (which is why Sara calls them "excuses"). The real reason Mika doesn't prioritize his music is because Mika has chosen not to prioritize his music.

Of course you can go ahead and continue the discussion, but I am getting off this merry go round now and leaving you all to it because I'm getting dizzy! :insane::biggrin2:

That's what I've tried to explain all the time. I have a feeling no one is listening to or that I can't explain it properly. Of course he doesn't prioritize his music because he has chosen not to. That's the whole point, it is his decision. We don't know his motives. Maybe he finds all new ideas around him too distracting. He wants to do many things. Maybe he had a childhood dream to create huge colorful things like his sets? Maybe he doesn't understand how talented he really is and how worth while it would be to prioritize music?

So he is using his time creating sets and designing costumes and making theater plays. Doing less routine practicing? He makes everything so big he is forced to run and jump around and his voice is not as brilliant as it is when he is sitting at his piano, playing and singing.

I still think he is doing all that jumping around and singing quite well :wink2: It also looks he is having fun and that makes me enjoy his shows. He is still young, this can be only a short phase. I have a lot of faith in him, so I just watch and look what he is doing next. When he purely concentrates on music (again?) it should be _his_ decision.

But you are absolutely right. This discussion is a circle like most discussion. I feel no one cares or appreciates what I'm trying to say, so I take it that people have showed me my place and I just concentrate on waiting for the new album.

If he wants opinions he can ask them. I really hope for his sake that he doesn't care or know what happens on his fan club. It's unbelievable how much time and energy people with small lives can use for nothing (I'm mostly referring to myself, don't want to insult anyone).

Edit: I sound really frustrated, don't I? :roftl: I didn't actually mean to sound that frustrated. I'm just tired because whatever I try to say it sounds stupid in the end and I don't feel discussing gives me any good energy. I had a good feeling after the summer tour, and now I just want to look forward to the new album. I hope there will some interesting news while waiting.

Don't feel frustrated Nina! you are expressing your point of view brilliantly, and your english has improved so much. I always read your posts with interest, as I read Sara's or Christine's, cause I partly share all of your opinions. Actually, I'm happy you went to so many gigs cause now you are more confident in expressing how you see things, while you seemed to me a little shy in the past.

We are used to read 'circles' in the MFC, so don't worry, never shut up just because you don't feel understood or feel crossed by some fan's opinion. Your opinion counts as much.

It's all about fun in the end, so when you see you can have no fun here, take a break and breathe some fresh air. But be reassured that even the fans who disagree with you (and maybe they more than others) will always welcome your posts and ideas, cause they keep this forum alive and worthy.

We all love Mika, we simply have different perceptions and attitudes towards what happens around us.

Relativism is an important factor, no one owns the truth.

:huglove:

You sound clever and sweet to me, Nina! :huglove:

Thank you :huglove:

Don't feel frustrated Nina! you are expressing your point of view brilliantly, and your english has improved so much. I always read your posts with interest, as I read Sara's or Christine's, cause I partly share all of your opinions. Actually, I'm happy you went to so many gigs cause now you are more confident in expressing how you see things, while you seemed to me a little shy in the past.

We are used to read 'circles' in the MFC, so don't worry, never shut up just because you don't feel understood or feel crossed by some fan's opinion. Your opinion counts as much.

It's all about fun in the end, so when you see you can have no fun here, take a break and breathe some fresh air. But be reassured that even the fans who disagree with you (and maybe they more than others) will always welcome your posts and ideas, cause they keep this forum alive and worthy.

We all love Mika, we simply have different perceptions and attitudes towards what happens around us.

Such wise words, Robertina, as always :wub2: I guess these discussions go always circle, and we all need some time to breath at time to time, and actually I should use time for some other things, I have several books to read and films to watch (not to mention some more important things I should do :naughty:). Thanks for your words!

That's what I've tried to explain all the time. I have a feeling no one is listening to or that I can't explain it properly. Of course he doesn't prioritize his music because he has chosen not to. That's the whole point, it is his decision. We don't know his motives. Maybe he finds all new ideas around him too distracting. He wants to do many things. Maybe he had a childhood dream to create huge colorful things like his sets? Maybe he doesn't understand how talented he really is and how worth while it would be to prioritize music?

So he is using his time creating sets and designing costumes and making theater plays. Doing less routine practicing? He makes everything so big he is forced to run and jump around and his voice is not as brilliant as it is when he is sitting at his piano, playing and singing.

I still think he is doing all that jumping around and singing quite well :wink2: It also looks he is having fun and that makes me enjoy his shows. He is still young, this can be only a short phase. I have a lot of faith in him, so I just watch and look what he is doing next. When he purely concentrates on music (again?) it should be _his_ decision.

But you are absolutely right. This discussion is a circle like most discussion. I feel no one cares or appreciates what I'm trying to say, so I take it that people have showed me my place and I just concentrate on waiting for the new album.

I remember a long ago he talked about his fascination with theatre, and that he wants to do in future something like that (now this future came).

I think Mika will do what he personally wants. Big sales - it is great, but I think he prefers to make his dreams come true. He will choose not money but a fairytale, and will be right. He just doesn't lose himself.

I am still enjoying reading this discussion and people's opinions...even if they do get circular sometimes!

Sometimes an MFC break is a great way to escape from all the important things I have to do in daily life. I think making sets and dreaming up costumes and designs might be Mika's escape from having to sing and do voice exercises every day. And just like MFC occasionally takes over real life, maybe the sets and costumes take over Mika's life.

Just a passing thought.

I don't see it this way at all. If he sings brilliantly in French someone is complaining because he doesn't use English. Some people may say "but he never sings brilliantly in French" but I don't believe so. Of course it can be more difficult for him. There is always someone who wants more.

I think the problem that most people have is that he is releasing French music and not English music and they can't even buy it in their own country. I only recall one person saying that he doesn't sing well in French.

There is a difference between one person not liking his French singing and alienating all of the UK and US by not making his music available there. I love Elle Me Dit but I think it's crazy for him to waste his time focusing on 5 French songs while the rest of the world is waiting for him to drop an (English) album or at least a single.

That's what I've tried to explain all the time. I have a feeling no one is listening to or that I can't explain it properly. Of course he doesn't prioritize his music because he has chosen not to. That's the whole point, it is his decision.

Nina, I have understood this point since the beginning - it doesn't require an explanation. We all know that Mika does what he does because it's his decision. But some of us think he should rethink that decision and start prioritizing the music more because it's more important to his audience than some of the other things he is focusing his efforts on.

I simply do not agree that an artist should expect their audience to pay money for their total self-indulgence. If you promote yourself as a singer/songwriter year after year and sell tickets to a music concert then the majority of the people who turn up are there to hear you sing and not dress in costumes and play with props. If you charge people money for a service then you are obliged to provide it. That's how the world works and pop music is no exception.

Maybe if he had pitched himself as a theatrical Lady Gaga type from the beginning he would have solicited a different audience, but we were all convinced that Mika was serious about his music and that's what we've come to love about him and expect from him.

I still think he is doing all that jumping around and singing quite well :wink2: It also looks he is having fun and that makes me enjoy his shows.

Yes I think he does it quite well. I think the set for PDP was pushing it too far but 99% of the time the compromise is small and the result is a high energy show and it's worth it.

I am going to quote Robi because she has already expressed everything I wanted to say perfectly. Your posts are always welcome here and I think you express yourself very very well Nina. :huglove:

Archived