Out of tune?

Douleur

Nina you don't need to be politically correct. As long as no one is telling others what they should or shouldn't think it's all good. :naughty:

BUT

overall, when i started to listen to mika, i watched his clips and went to live performance of him on youtube..

and i was blown away!!

I wasn't blown away by YouTube performances (there weren't many good quality ones in January 2007 anyway), but I was blown away from the first note he sang live (in person).

Even now most of these YT videos don't cut it and you are going to be more blown away in reality, I promise. :naughty: That video Rosa posted may be pitch perfect but it is so muted compared to actually being there.

I think the Happy Ending from the points gig gives you some idea, but again the microphones are way up in the ceiling in the corners of the room so it's still not quite the same as being there.

http://mikasounds.com/video

ive seen quite alot of artists live (and maybe i just love artists that suck live) but seriously, none of them sound like they do on the record... except for mika..

He mostly can sing everything he records... The only other person ive seen live being able to do this is Josh Groban.. and lets say that he doesnt jump on stage:mf_rosetinted:

Michael Buble and Adele also sing well live and in fact Adele's live vocals are far better than the recorded tracks. Maybe it's just because of the mp3 quality these days but the tracks sound like 50% of the quality has been stripped versus her live vocals.

That's why I was blown away when Mika started to sing as well. Because those first notes on Relax are really muted on the track (intentionally so, I guess), but he just belts them out live. I don't think Mika realizes that he can fill up an arena with his voice alone. Adele played the Air Canada Centre and she had the audience in the palm of her hand. They were giving her standing ovations every 15 minutes and she wasn't even standing herself, but sitting on a stool. :roftl:

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nina you don't need to be politically correct. As long as no one is telling others what they should or shouldn't think it's all good. :naughty:

I wasn't blown away by YouTube performances (there weren't many good quality ones in January 2007 anyway), but I was blown away from the first note he sang live (in person).

Even now most of these YT videos don't cut it and you are going to be more blown away in reality, I promise. :naughty: That video Rosa posted may be pitch perfect but it is so muted compared to actually being there.

I think the Happy Ending from the points gig gives you some idea, but again the microphones are way up in the ceiling in the corners of the room so it's still not quite the same as being there.

http://mikasounds.com/video

Michael Buble and Adele also sing well live and in fact Adele's live vocals are far better than the recorded tracks. Maybe it's just because of the mp3 quality these days but the tracks sound like 50% of the quality has been stripped versus her live vocals.

That's why I was blown away when Mika started to sing as well. Because those first notes on Relax are really muted on the track (intentionally so, I guess), but he just belts them out live. I don't think Mika realizes that he can fill up an arena with his voice alone. Adele played the Air Canada Centre and she had the audience in the palm of her hand. They were giving her standing ovations every 15 minutes and she wasn't even standing herself, but sitting on a stool. :roftl:

yeah, ill fangurl alot for sure:teehee::wub2:

:roftl::roftl:yes, i totally agree.. thats excatly what i mean:biggrin2:of course ive never heard him for real, but OMS or Relax really sound amazing, even on youtube. Very impressive to be able to sing that every night:wub2:

I feel bad in so many ways. I feel also bad because I shared the EMD video from the last festival because it caused a lot of negative talking and accusations. I was a bit afraid that the vid might get some negative comments from some random people, but then I thought it's mostly mfc/his fans who see it. And what happened? His fans used it against him, and no one cared how much I tried to explain the situation behind it.

Where did people use it against him? :blink: We're talking about BIOTW here (both the forgotten lyrics and the flat notes). Unless Mika changes BIOTW substantially it is always going to get a thumbs down from me. I think the lyrics are terrible, I think the duet concept is cheesy and Mika singing in this range makes him sound mediocre. So even a studio recording is not going to sort that out and it has nothing to do with yours (or anyone else's) videos. Some of Mika's songs I love, song of them I like okay and there are just one or two that I think are really not worthy of him and he should drop them. I think this is perfectly normal and you don't need to love every single thing he does with the same intensity in order to call yourself a fan.

This is why I don't understand the accusations here that there is a campaign to take Mika down with negative criticism. I and others spent days transcribing the lyrics of the English EMD (based on your video I think?) and talking about how much we would love to hear the studio version, etc. What is the problem?

Nina your posts are not "all for nothing"! :blink:I am impressed that you spent so much time explaining your thoughts in English, and I appreciated reading them, as I said earlier, because I cannot be there at the live shows. I appreciate you posting the video, even if the song is not to everyone's taste, or even if people criticize Mika, or parts make me cringe a little inside.

I cannot stop you from feeling bad about the way this thread has gone, but I have enjoyed the discussions, both positive and negative. It would be good if the negative could be viewed as "constructive criticism" but as Mika is not exactly sitting here amongst us reading and discussing, we won't really be contributing anything actually constructive to his future shows....:teehee: but we can at least express the desire that Mika focus on his voice rather than his sets and whatever was on the rest of the list of demands that Robi posted earlier:roftl:

whatever was on the rest of the list of demands that Robi posted earlier:roftl:

Masterpieces. She wants masterpieces. :roftl:

I think if he can knock EMD out in 48 hours then there might be a masterpiece or two in the works. :fisch:

Anyway, don´t feel bad :huglove:

I usually feel either really good or really bad, I'm sure this won't last long :roftl: Thank you :huglove:

Oh, that's a relief, thanks! :naughty: Btw, thanks for linking HE from the MP gig. I remember the feeling when he did that song. You know, that "OMG he is GOOD" feeling. :wub2:

Where did people use it against him? :blink: We're talking about BIOTW here (both the forgotten lyrics and the flat notes). Unless Mika changes BIOTW substantially it is always going to get a thumbs down from me. I think the lyrics are terrible, I think the duet concept is cheesy and Mika singing in this range makes him sound mediocre. So even a studio recording is not going to sort that out and it has nothing to do with yours (or anyone else's) videos. Some of Mika's songs I love, song of them I like okay and there are just one or two that I think are really not worthy of him and he should drop them. I think this is perfectly normal and you don't need to love every single thing he does with the same intensity in order to call yourself a fan.

This is why I don't understand the accusations here that there is a campaign to take Mika down with negative criticism. I and others spent days transcribing the lyrics of the English EMD (based on your video I think?) and talking about how much we would love to hear the studio version, etc. What is the problem?

Actually, EMD in English was mentioned in this thread a few times as an example how he taped his lyrics sheet on the stage, because he didn't know the lyrics. I quoted it at least twice (or three times) in my own posts and tried to explain how it was a last minutes decision, that he did a couple of lines during the sound check and people loved it, and he was "oh, you like it?" and we started to hope he would do it later in the evening and he did. And he explained how he don't even know the lyrics yet but he is willing to try. And we all loved it, and I thought it was such a sweet thing to do, but later (in this thread) it was mentioned as an example how he is not prepared/not doing his job.

So I feel guilty for uploading the vid, but I don't think I'm the only one to blame because the vid was linked on mfc several times (even by moderators) and as you said, several people used a lot time for the lyrics and seemed to be interested in it.

Nina your posts are not "all for nothing"! :blink:I am impressed that you spent so much time explaining your thoughts in English, and I appreciated reading them, as I said earlier, because I cannot be there at the live shows. I appreciate you posting the video, even if the song is not to everyone's taste, or even if people criticize Mika, or parts make me cringe a little inside.

I cannot stop you from feeling bad about the way this thread has gone, but I have enjoyed the discussions, both positive and negative. It would be good if the negative could be viewed as "constructive criticism" but as Mika is not exactly sitting here amongst us reading and discussing, we won't really be contributing anything actually constructive to his future shows....:teehee:but we can at least express the desire that Mika focus on his voice rather than his sets and whatever was on the rest of the list of demands that Robi posted earlier:roftl:

I understand that desire very well, I love his voice more I can describe :wub2:

So to me, this thread shows that a large chunk of MFC members are open-minded and ready to discuss things in a clever way, so MFC is not only about fans adoring Mika endlessly.

No doubt about it. But I’d like to add something to that observation...

I’ve noticed you (generally speaking) often make that distinction between fans who offer "constructive" criticism and therefore are smart, and those who don't, who drool over anything he does no matter what instead, and therefore are dumb. I know none of you have used those concrete words, but I think you all know what I mean – I try to do my best to make myself understandable.

Well, I don’t think it’s that easy, that clear. I’m sure there are many clever fans on here with strong personalities and ideas of their own, who do not enter these tricky discussions, or do it only briefly, for reasons which have nothing to do with them being fangurling all the time. In many cases, it may be not about maturity, intelligence or having/not having anything interesting to say, but rather about having a different sensitivity and different values.

Btw, thanks for linking HE from the MP gig. I remember the feeling when he did that song. You know, that "OMG he is GOOD" feeling. :wub2:

Yes that is the song that really stuck with me - it was really, I don't know, almost shockingly powerful for such a small room. I thought Love Today was really good too and sorry they didn't post the professional video. :sneaky2:

but later (in this thread) it was mentioned as an example how he is not prepared/not doing his job.

Well he wasn't prepared to do it, whatever the reason. But that doesn't mean people weren't glad to watch the video.

So I feel guilty for uploading the vid, but I don't think I'm the only one to blame because the vid was linked on mfc several times (even by moderators) and as you said, several people used a lot time for the lyrics and seemed to be interested in it.

Blame for what? Everyone knowing that Mika didn't know the words to EMD by heart? Why is this such a problem for people to know this, it's the truth. :blink: In any case we all knew he had the lyrics taped to the floor before there was a video so it's not your doing.

I’ve noticed you (generally speaking) often make that distinction between fans who offer "constructive" criticism and therefore are smart, and those who drool over anything he does no matter what, and therefore are dumb. I know none of you have used those concrete words, but I think you all know what I mean – I try to do my best to make myself understandable.

I think you'll understand what I mean when I say that there is an underlying dynamic at play during these conversations that has nothing to do with whether anyone likes everything Mika does or whether they criticize things.

In fact I'm pretty sure the only reason this thread was started is because someone detected the tension in some of the other discussions about the new songs and the video and thought it would be fun to carry it on here.

When this thread was opened I noticed some people agreeing that Mika was out of tune and I had a good laugh thinking that if one of a few other people had chosen to open this thread the response would have been very different. Sure enough as soon as Sariflor posted in the thread someone jumped on her saying the exact opposite of what they had said earlier in the thread, just to be contrary to her.

This kind of reaction goes both ways so I am not blaming one person over another. But this was just so blatant to me because I had predicted it before it even happened.

I think there are personality conflicts on MFC that have nothing to do with people's opinions about Mika even if that's how they end up manifesting themselves. That's what I was getting at earlier when I said that if there is a negative vibe on MFC it is not because some people like Mika's video and some people do not.

I don't understand how you think you are in any way to blame. You merely uploaded a video. You were only the messenger, so to speak.

And I don't think blame is really the word. We're just having a discussion.

Usually I think/see all concert videos either memories (for those who were there) or "clips" for those who were not there, just to watch and have a taste.

And now some people have commented how he was not prepared enough this summer/how he is not doing his job/how his festival goers maybe didn't get what they paid for and they base their opinions a few vids etc. I disagreed with those claims. So I explained that actually I saw several concerts/festivals live, and those examples were only tiny details in his shows, and that he did very good performances and every audience was happy and satisfied.

Those explanations were ignored, so I guess that's why I feel bad I was one of those people who shared material from the summer gigs, it was taken out of context. They were just clips to give a taste of his very new songs (and everyone can like them or not, that's not the point).

I’ve noticed you (generally speaking) often make that distinction between fans who offer "constructive" criticism and therefore are smart, and those who drool over anything he does no matter what, and therefore are dumb. I know none of you have used those concrete words, but I think you all know what I mean – I try to do my best to make myself understandable.

I can't deny that is one reason I'm so upset. I have given a lot of thought and effort to these things and every time I post I'm classified to a fan who is not interested in music or who is in love with his fake paintings (so that's why my opinion of his shows this summer has no value). I mean, I don't love those paintings that much I don't care about his singing... :roftl:

I think you'll understand what I mean when I say that there is an underlying dynamic at play during these conversations that has nothing to do with whether anyone likes everything Mika does or whether they criticize things.

In fact I'm pretty sure the only reason this thread was started is because someone detected the tension in some of the other discussions about the new songs and the video and thought it would be fun to carry it on here.

When this thread was opened I noticed some people agreeing that Mika was out of tune and I had a good laugh thinking that if one of a few other people had chosen to open this thread the response would have been very different. Sure enough as soon as Sariflor posted in the thread someone jumped on her saying the exact opposite of what they had said earlier in the thread, just to be contrary to her.

This kind of reaction goes both ways so I am not blaming one person over another. But this was just so blatant to me because I had predicted it before it even happened.

I think there are personality conflicts on MFC that have nothing to do with people's opinions about Mika even if that's how they end up manifesting themselves. That's what I was getting at earlier when I said that if there is a negative vibe on MFC it is not because some people like Mika's video and some people do not.

There are some negative vibes behind the scenes and provocation everywhere (even on mfc it's impossible to avoid it) and I always try to ignore/avoid it.

I was one of those who answered to Sara's post (but I hope I didn't jump on her :naughty:) because I think it's totally different thing if one/some of his longtime fans says that he is not doing his job properly (I don't agree with that) than someone just mentions that he has sometimes been out of tune (well, things like that can happen live, it doesn't change the fact that he is absolutely mind-blowing live).

For me the reason I have discussed in this thread is purely because I wanted to share a positive view and it has nothing to do with any personal feelings. I'm aware sometimes threads like this are opened just to provoke people to write opposite opinions and I will avoid them in the future.

Masterpieces. She wants masterpieces. :roftl:

I think if he can knock EMD out in 48 hours then there might be a masterpiece or two in the works. :fisch:

and what I get in the meantime is just Andy slapping me! :sneaky2:

this thread is getting boring...and giving the first poster what she wanted: a riot in the MFC....and the hint to someone out of here to blame mods over and over.

yes, definitely boring.

Those explanations were ignored, so I guess that's why I feel bad I was one of those people who shared material from the summer gigs, it was taken out of context.

You really don't need to internalize other people's opinions so much. You can't feel responsible for other people's opinions about Mika or his work and you shouldn't let those opinions affect your enjoyment. There are all kinds of people slagging Mika off on YouTube but I just don't care. I actually find a lot of it amusing. When they are wrong I correct them. When they are just being nasty I mock them. (:teehee:) But for the most part I just ignore it because I don't care what other people think about Mika.

I was one of those who answered to Sara's post (but I hope I didn't jump on her :naughty:)

No you are always consistent in your views. But I do notice people completely contradicting their own posts in order to agree or disagree with someone or just selectively disagreeing with certain people and not others who have the same viewpoint.

Edited a bit - Robi is right :naughty:

this thread is getting boring...and giving the first poster what she wanted: a riot in the MFC....and the hint to someone out of here to blame mods over and over.

yes, definitely boring.

Who's the first poster???

Some troll we know???:mf_rosetinted:

yes, definitely boring.

You are absolutely right! Well, all I can say is that I definitely didn't want to be rude or argue with anyone, but now can I see I have already done a lot of harm. I won't read this thread any more (I think these kind of discussion are not for me, I will rather read news threads), and if I said something I shouldn't have said I hope people can send me a PM and talk about it privately and I apologize in any case.

You are absolutely right! Well, all I can say is that I definitely didn't want to be rude or argue with anyone, but now can I see I have already done a lot of harm. I won't read this thread any more (I think these kind of discussion are not for me, I will rather read news threads), and if I said something I shouldn't have said I hope people can send me a PM and talk about it privately and I apologize in any case.

Come to the Oldlings and you will enjoy the talk :wink2:

You've done no "harm" at all, Tiibet. It has been a good discussion and people have presented different points of view.You have seen more of Mika than most of us this summer and I value your opinion.

You did nothing wrong, it's just the opposite :huglove:

Blame it on the troll :sneaky2:

Archived