HRC announces 15th annual National Dinner line-up

dcdeb

You make it sound like his opinion is less valid than the random person you quoted who said "Now I'm at the afterparty with some band called Mika(?). They're all wearing Victorian costumes." They don't sound very interested in the music.

None of these opinions are more or less valid. The proof is in the pudding. I do not think that the average American pop music record buyer/concert goer is going to find the white tights appealing. I hope Mika proves me wrong because as Kath said he will do what he wants and I would love for him to conquer/reestablish himself in North America and the UK.

Anyway it is nice to hear he has people blowing off gift bags to queue up to the front even at a s****y gala :roftl: The Amercans that love him are just as passionate as they are in Europe from what I've experienced.

Well, for what it's worth, I never saw a big connection of the death march to his music either (unless I focus on the fact that the participants are Big girls and Lollipop Girls...) :naughty: Same with the circus, it was pretty, colourful, made some really nice pics, but...connection to the music? :dunno:

In fact, the only set that made sense to me was the Imaginarium tour one... (excluding the march, that is) :teehee: There was a story being told, and it was logical, even if it wouldn't exactly be directly related to the lyrics, or at least to most of them.

The MA set probably makes a lot of sense in his head, otherwise he wouldn't have spent so much of his (and his family and staff) time putting that together. And he surely didn't want to waste it (ie use it just for Compiegne) and used it for the other shows too. AND, in my opinion, he did very well... It wouldn't be such a great thing to see him returning to some countries doing the exact same show he did the year before. :wink2:

Anyway, he'll continue doing what he feels like, no matter what, and I think we all know that, right? :naughty:

Edited by Mary

Well, for what it's worth, I never saw a big connection of the death march to his music either (unless I focus on the fact that the participants are Big girls and Lollipop Girls...) :naughty: Same with the circus, it was pretty, colourful, made some really nice pics, but...connection to the music? :dunno:

In fact, the only set that made sense to me was the Imaginarium tour one... (excluding the march, that is) :teehee: There was a story being told, and it was logical, even if it wouldn't exactly be directly related to the lyrics, or at least to most of them.

The MA set probably makes a lot of sense in his head, otherwise he wouldn't have spent so much of his (and his family and staff) time putting that together. And he surely didn't want to waste it (ie use it just for Compiegne) and used it for the other shows too. AND, in my opinion, he did very well... It wouldn't be such a great thing to see him returning to some countries doing the exact same show he did the year before. :wink2:

Anyway, he'll continue doing what he feels like, no matter what, and I think we all know that, right? :naughty:

Hmm reading the comments, I would give my little opinion :naughty: I agree with you, not at all, but in parts, the death march makes sense to me, something like dying and then celebrate life with the wonderful Love Today, it makes sense to me and in the context of lyrics that is refreshing, something like raised, resurrected :biggrin2:

I don't know if this is my one "big trip" imagination or make any sense to anyone here :naughty:

I loved the scene of Imaginarium Tour 2009-10, and the MA is beautiful, cool, but in the end what really matters are the beautiful songs and incredible voice da man right :teehee: everything else is a complement, that's all, and I think very good :thumb_yello:

sorry if my words were a bit rough, was not intended, everyone has their opinion and respect all :thumb_yello:

Finally I want to complement on the "death march" and LT is a very precious song to me :mf_lustslow:

Love Today is LIFE :mf_lustslow: something like “Carpe Diem” :wink2:

ahh I also found that articles americans don't mention anything about the music :mf_rosetinted: but also the great political event and the whole atmosphere of the place was not the appropriate place for this, only for fun and his music was not properly observed, I think :aah: or maybe I'm wrong and will show different I don't know :dunno:

"There was an after party, too, with glowsticks, a photo shoot with a Lexus convertible,

and a performance by Mika. Many of the event’s younger attendees rushed out of the ballroom at the end of the official event to score a good spot for Mika’s show, bypassing the lines of volunteers handing out gift bags with small tokens from many of the HRC’s corporate donors

(such as a stuffed pony from Wells Fargo)."

It's great to know that the audience was so interested in the gig!!!

t4p Alice:thumb_yello:

http://randasfans.wordpress.com/tag/mika/

cropped-dscn1399.jpg

We attended HRC‘s National Dinner on Saturday. More photos coming soon, but the new header is cropped from this picture of the after party stage, which featured Mika. I had heard of him, and I recognized one song. Otherwise, I am old. But the kids today seemed pleased, and we bopped along.

6207328875_8e6c69dbe0_z.jpg

The real highlights for me were Mr. President and Ms. Lauper, with an unexpected dash of SJP thrown in!

I’ll get to the main event soon, but here are a few more shots from the after-party; they look fancy, don’t they? The visual effects are not the result of any photographic talent on my part, rather due to my refusal to use a flash. I adored the Louis Seize theme of the thing –

6207329105_ecc602db3b_z.jpg

t4p Leire:thumb_yello:

Good to hear that this blogger adored the theme of the show, love it too!!! And most of all I love the fact that there's always a visual side to Mika's concerts. It's fantastic, in my opinion, that he presents the full show with the same costumes and set regardless of whether it is a festival like Les Ardentes, a gig of his own like in Seoul or an event like this one in Washington:wub2:

Edited by Louiza

"If I was going to...shouldn't I be able to?" is not the same thing as making a personal statement about what one could or would do, especially in the context of the interview.

I have made the exact same statement regarding why I support the issue; the last time I checked, nobody was assuming that I could or would do that because most people assume I am straight.

It's really nothing to get excited about.

I am excited that he got asked to participate. I am excited that he offered an interesting stage show with good music, as he always does. I am super duper excited that people had a good time. He is still getting steady work, so I am not worried about his career. He's going to be around for a long time to come. He's persistent that way :biggrin2:

Very well said, I feel the same way:thumb_yello::biggrin2:

Edited by Louiza

As far as outfits/themes etc go..............Mika has always done exactly what he wanted when and where he wanted and I would imagine that he will continue to do so.

...and people with an opinion have always shared their thoughts on MFC and I would imagine they will continue to do so.:thumb_yello:

Sometimes I have a feeling that people tend to forget that it is a forum for discussion among members and not an open letter to Mika. :dunno:

"If I was going to...shouldn't I be able to?" is not the same thing as making a personal statement about what one could or would do, especially in the context of the interview.

I have made the exact same statement regarding why I support the issue; the last time I checked, nobody was assuming that I could or would do that because most people assume I am straight.

I am excited that he got asked to participate. I am excited that he offered an interesting stage show with good music, as he always does. I am super duper excited that people had a good time. He is still getting steady work, so I am not worried about his career. He's going to be around for a long time to come. He's persistent that way :biggrin2:

That is exactely what my thoughts are about the subject, only you say/ write them in a much better way than I ever could!

Agree with everything you say.

:biggrin2:

...and people with an opinion have always shared their thoughts on MFC and I would imagine they will continue to do so.:thumb_yello:

Sometimes I have a feeling that people tend to forget that it is a forum for discussion among members and not an open letter to Mika. :dunno:

Indeed. Imagine if after every time someone said that they liked Mika's song or set or artwork or clothes or video or hair half a dozen people posted to say "Mika doesn't care if you like it because he is going to do what he wants anyway."

We all know that is the reality but no one here is speaking to Mika so it's an entirely moot point. We may as well not have a forum for discussion if everyone thinks that Mika doing want he wants means that no one is entitled to an opinion, because it applies to every opinion equally.

Indeed. Imagine if after every time someone said that they liked Mika's song or set or artwork or clothes or video or hair half a dozen people posted to say "Mika doesn't care if you like it because he is going to do what he wants anyway."

We all know that is the reality but no one here is speaking to Mika so it's an entirely moot point. We may as well not have a forum for discussion if everyone thinks that Mika doing want he wants means that no one is entitled to an opinion, because it applies to every opinion equally.

So why the hell I never revealed that I can't stand his Astroboy ideas?:naughty:

Coming out :mf_rosetinted:

I'm English, so I can't really speak for Americans, but for what what my opinion is worth. Here goes...

I've always been a fan of costume dramas, like the stories about Henry VIII or Marie Antoinette, and I know from reading stuff about them, that American's lap them up. They love, for example, the recent TV series The Tudors. Okay, maybe it doesn't get the amount of viewers that something like Law And Order, or CSI might get, but the historical dramas do well enough.

So the set and costumes were probably well received, and from the pictures, the set looks gorgeous, like it was put together with a lot of thought.

As for the people who are like, "I don't know Mika," "I only know one song," He's hot so it doesn't matter what his name is." I think some people on here are missing the point. Those people are going home knowing who Mika is and the next time his name is mentioned they will take notice.

Also, as Alice posted, young people were rushing out to get a good spot at his show and ignoring everything else. That will also leave an impression on observers.

Maybe some older people don't know him well yet, but remember, he doesn't get radio play in America, so he's not going to be as well known as someone who does, but that's why it's great that he's doing events like this, which gets his name better known.

People who don't know his music will write things about what they can see. like "He's hot and they're all in costumes." But the curious among them will seek out his music when they get home. The others, will simply go home, but if out of 100 people, 20 look him up, that's a victory in a country where radio stations conspired to keep him off the air.

Lastly, he's got a new album comming and if Underwater is anything to go by, he's going to appeal to all ages with his beautiful new songs.

He's doing very well. Let's all be happy, and as Alice pointed out, his following on Twitter has increased a lot! Well done Mika!!:thumb_yello:

True, but don't you think it also goes the other way, those who say he shouldn't do this or that, possibly like to think that he would see their point of view, and do things that way?

I'm not saying he reads anything here, but it has been hinted several times by some that someone in his team may look here occasionally and if that were the case, it's certain to find it's way back to him, and he may even mull things over. I'm just speculating here, clearly he's very busy right now, and may not even register with anything going on outside the studio.

Like you say, if he doesn't see or hear anything said here, it's a moot point.

Hmm reading the comments, I would give my little opinion :naughty: I agree with you, not at all, but in parts, the death march makes sense to me, something like dying and then celebrate life with the wonderful Love Today, it makes sense to me and in the context of lyrics that is refreshing, something like raised, resurrected

I don't know if this is my one "big trip" imagination or make any sense to anyone here

I loved the scene of Imaginarium Tour 2009-10, and the MA is beautiful, cool, but in the end what really matters are the beautiful songs and incredible voice da man right everything else is a complement, that's all, and I think very good

I have thought of that too, and it's the "version" that makes more sense, but at the same time it really doesn't fit MY interpretation of the whole Imaginarium tour story. :roftl: Don't know if I explained it well, but whatever. I just looked at it as another of Mika's weird-but-cool-to-watch things. :biggrin2:

I agree with you Mary. I expected him to use the set everywhere, I was just responding to the comments about why everyone does not find this fascinating or relevant.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding my two cents. :wink2:

IT'S NOOOOT? :shocked:

I don't see it that way. EVERYONE has the right to express their opinion, BUT Mika will end up doing what he wants. Like it has happened since...well, since the beginning! :aah:

I'm English, so I can't really speak for Americans, but for what what my opinion is worth. Here goes...

I've always been a fan of costume dramas, like the stories about Henry VIII or Marie Antoinette, and I know from reading stuff about them, that American's lap them up. They love, for example, the recent TV series The Tudors. Okay, maybe it doesn't get the amount of viewers that something like Law And Order, or CSI might get, but the historical dramas do well enough.

So the set and costumes were probably well received, and from the pictures, the set looks gorgeous, like it was put together with a lot of thought.

As for the people who are like, "I don't know Mika," "I only know one song," He's hot so it doesn't matter what his name is." I think some people on here are missing the point. Those people are going home knowing who Mika is and the next time his name is mentioned they will take notice.

Also, as Alice posted, young people were rushing out to get a good spot at his show and ignoring everything else. That will also leave an impression on observers.

Maybe some older people don't know him well yet, but remember, he doesn't get radio play in America, so he's not going to be as well known as someone who does, but that's why it's great that he's doing events like this, which gets his name better known.

People who don't know his music will write things about what they can see. like "He's hot and they're all in costumes." But the curious among them will seek out his music when they get home. The others, will simply go home, but if out of 100 people, 20 look him up, that's a victory in a country where radio stations conspired to keep him off the air.

Lastly, he's got a new album comming and if Underwater is anything to go by, he's going to appeal to all ages with his beautiful new songs.

He's doing very well. Let's all be happy, and as Alice pointed out, his following on Twitter has increased a lot! Well done Mika!!

:thumb_yello: Agree especially with the bolded parts.

I've seen it happen many times, as 4 of the 6 Mika gigs I've seen so far were in festivals, or similar events. People who had no idea who Mika was or who just knew Grace Kelly and Relax, went to see Mika perform, and there wasn't a single negative comment from the audience, except for some aspects of the visual show (read some comments about how weird it was to have band members with their faces painted or dressed as clowns). But they all liked it, and some even went to other Mika shows after.

On the other hand, I read one guy saying he went to the Lisbon gig to work (dunno what he did tho, maybe worked for some sponsor...), and he found the whole show incredibly boring. :teehee:

Edited by Mary

True, but don't you think it also goes the other way, those who say he shouldn't do this or that, possibly like to think that he would see their point of view, and do things that way?

I'm not saying he reads anything here, but it has been hinted several times by some that someone in his team may look here occasionally and if that were the case, it's certain to find it's way back to him, and he may even mull things over. I'm just speculating here, clearly he's very busy right now, and may not even register with anything going on outside the studio.

Like you say, if he doesn't see or hear anything said here, it's a moot point.

Well, he owns this place, so he probably has someone in his staff encharged of keeping an eye on what's happening here. :wink2:

If they read everything? Have no idea... But we're not going to avoid less positive thoughts just because he MIGHT be reading (when it's a constructive discussion, I mean, not dissing him just because we feel like it).

We are his fans, 99% of his hardcore fans are here, and he knows we support him, and when there are less positive comments, it just means we are concerned about what he's doing. He probably thanks that, because negative comments from non-fans are many times just plain mean.

Well, he owns this place, so he probably has someone in his staff encharged of keeping an eye on what's happening here. :wink2:

If they read everything? Have no idea... But we're not going to avoid less positive thoughts just because he MIGHT be reading (when it's a constructive discussion, I mean, not dissing him just because we feel like it).

We are his fans, 99% of his hardcore fans are here, and he knows we support him, and when there are less positive comments, it just means we are concerned about what he's doing. He probably thanks that, because negative comments from non-fans are many times just plain mean.

I'm agree with you in a whole, but my personal opinion is that even if he reads our critics (which I doubt, at least at this period), his personal wishes and ambitions will overweight our opinion, and if he is sure in what he's going to do, comments here won't influence his decisions.

I don't know about other fans but I never think I'm writing an open letter to Mika. I really can't imagine him reading mfc very often (I'm sure he has visited his own forum though, just for curiosity at least). Even if I tweet to him I don't usually think he reads it; I think it as a way to communicate with people who read his tweets (I still know it's possible he reads his tweets, I would never write anything I can't say him face to face).

I think people are just different. It's that simple. You know that "half full - half empty" issue. I'm usually aware if my glass is not totally full, but I like to think it's half full. I like to take inspiration where I can find it. I would feel silly to complain that I can't understand the lyrics for Karen (because it's in French) when I can concentrate on enjoying the melody and his voice in it (or concentrate on UW :mf_lustslow:). His music is still always the most important thing. Just a thought of Mika singing and playing piano without a huge circus around him makes me sigh :fangurl: On the other hand, it's interesting to think and wonder what made him create M-A theme (or something else). So while waiting and hoping for another acoustic tour I enjoy his costume drama :wink2: But that's just me, I like to do things that lift my spirit. I can understand we are all different and that many other people want to analyze every side of his songs/shows and tell if they don't like something and why. I don't mind it and I can respect people's opinions.

Do we know if he played UW there??

I would love know that too!! Someone please tell!! :aah:

Edited by tiibet

He's doing very well. Let's all be happy, and as Alice pointed out, his following on Twitter has increased a lot! Well done Mika!!:thumb_yello:

THE PROOF IS

IN THE PUDDING

pudding-face-2.jpg

SINCE EARLY SEPTEMBER,

MIKA HAS GAINED

ROUGHLY 3,790 NEW FOLLOWERS

ON TWITTER!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3563995&postcount=1673

Edited by A. Clay