HRC announces 15th annual National Dinner line-up

dcdeb

and I'm afraid we cannot expect anything totally different from him, not after seeing as he developed his stages in the last 2 years.

I don't know Robi this is so far beyond what he's been doing. Yes he was dressed like an astronaut - for 60 seconds. Sure he was supposed to be an astronaut throughout the show but if you didn't know or care he was just a guy in pants and a shirt singing a song. Would anyone want to see him singing Happy Ending in that Michelin Man astronaut costume? Really?

Doing an entire gig in this irrelevant getup is just so over the top. I don't understand why you would want to take an audience out of your modern pop music by dressing like this. There is no story to be told. There is no theme that is congruent with the music. It's just random and distracting and IMO unflattering.

Sorry but this tweet I saw the other night sums it up :naughty:

"Now I'm at the afterparty with some band called Mika(?). They're all wearing Victorian costumes."

Now I can surely tell the difference between a Victorian costume and what Mika and co were wearing but I still do not see a Napoleon connection. I have never seen Napoleon wearing anything like what Mika has on. And why would they make any connection to Marie Antoinette either?

This whole theme has absolutely nothing to do with his music. We already had this discussion and it was argued that it was appropriate because of the historic French setting. So by the same token isn't Washington a totally inappropriate setting? :doh:

Why would anyone want to see a pop singer dressed up in 18th century tights to sing Relax or Love Today? *I* don't get it. Why do you expect Americans who don't even know who Mika is (nor, most likely, Louis XVI), muchless the fact that he had some gig at Compiegne several months ago, to get it. :aah:

Francoise, notoriety is a negative thing. I don't think we want to see his notoriety increased in the US. (although it might be with these tights.) :mf_rosetinted:

But surely everyone can recognize Marie-Antoinette from the paintings and dresses, he is even talking about Marie-Antoinette during the show?

When I was a child we had a book at home, with lots of paintings and pictures about Napoleon. Everything in this set reminds me of that book (colors, jackets, pants). But I guess I see the set from a different perspective, because I have seen him singing in this outfit under the statue of Napoleon in Corsica, it all just made perfect sense. And because he is in the middle of recording sounds sensible to use the same set at festival gigs etc.

I would have thought the Washington audience to appreciate theatrical costumes, it was not a proper US tour, only one show.

Love the interview. This is one change from 2007 I am happy to see. Thank you for your support Mika. We've been fighting for the right to say on MFC that you might marry a man for many years now. :roftl:

Yes, what came accross for me is that Mika would never have said that in 2007. He seems so much happier in his own skin now, and much more open compared to how he used to be. I'm thrilled for him. I do think he may be in-love.

I don't know Robi this is so far beyond what he's been doing. Yes he was dressed like an astronaut - for 60 seconds. Sure he was supposed to be an astronaut throughout the show but if you didn't know or care he was just a guy in pants and a shirt singing a song. Would anyone want to see him singing Happy Ending in that Michelin Man astronaut costume? Really?

Doing an entire gig in this irrelevant getup is just so over the top. I don't understand why you would want to take an audience out of your modern pop music by dressing like this. There is no story to be told. There is no theme that is congruent with the music. It's just random and distracting and IMO unflattering.

But there IS a story. Guillotine against M-A while BIOTG, Revolution after iMMa puts the horse mask on him - it's like Trianon games of M-A, and the killing scene with a rapier/ I see a sense in all these...

hmmmm :teehee:

I believe Marie-Antoinette was Austrian & married into the French royal family

So he should sing in German as well so that the songs will fit the set. :fangurl:

:teehee:

I also think this new look he has is brilliant. The slightly goofy and eccentric image from 2007 was great in it's day, but he's said himself that the new album is more mature, and it's about love, so this image he has now is right for what he's trying to convey, especially as he's now 28 years old.

I personally don't understand a reasoning how the alternative to his 2007 looks is for him to wear his father's old clothes he found in the attic.

Yes, he is 28 and is supposed to have matured but it does not mean having aged 20 years in only 2.

No-one here wants him to dress exactly the same way he used to. Some of us might simply miss the more genuine look he had at very beginning. I guess it just feels natural for an audience to expect an artist to convey a similar message in appearance as the songs he is singing and I must say that watching that little piece of video of him singing Relax in white tights and those shoes looked surreal.:blink: I think audience reaction (Mika who?; Mika=hot) sums up what impressed them most.

I think Christine meant no story related to his songs (lyrics) or any other musical elements of the show.

Yes and also the story of MA does not need to be told by Mika. It's not his story. Where is the creativity in that?

It never seemed to do Adam Ant any harm, and he's still dressing in costume even now, and selling out gigs.

PICTURES-WASHINGTONIAN MAGAZINE -HRC DINNER

http://www.washingtonian.com/PhotoGallery/410.html

President Barack Obama took time out from his wedding anniversary to

help raise some money for one of the best-known gay rights organizations

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/artsfun/afterhours/21054.html#.TonfoqI4xGI.twitter

"There was an after party, too, with glowsticks, a photo shoot with a Lexus convertible,

and a performance by Mika. Many of the event’s younger attendees rushed out of the ballroom at the end of the official event to score a good spot for Mika’s show, bypassing the lines of volunteers handing out gift bags with small tokens from many of the HRC’s corporate donors

(such as a stuffed pony from Wells Fargo)."

Edited by A. Clay

Thanks to everyone who has found and posted the vids.

Great to see.:thumb_yello:

As far as outfits/themes etc go..............Mika has always done exactly what he wanted when and where he wanted and I would imagine that he will continue to do so.

He certainly looks confident.

http://randasfans.wordpress.com/tag/mika/

cropped-dscn1399.jpg

We attended HRC‘s National Dinner on Saturday. More photos coming soon, but the new header is cropped from this picture of the after party stage, which featured Mika. I had heard of him, and I recognized one song. Otherwise, I am old. But the kids today seemed pleased, and we bopped along.

6207328875_8e6c69dbe0_z.jpg

The real highlights for me were Mr. President and Ms. Lauper, with an unexpected dash of SJP thrown in!

I’ll get to the main event soon, but here are a few more shots from the after-party; they look fancy, don’t they? The visual effects are not the result of any photographic talent on my part, rather due to my refusal to use a flash. I adored the Louis Seize theme of the thing –

6207329105_ecc602db3b_z.jpg

6207844696_578d285972_z.jpg

6207845194_0cb13b43f1_z.jpg

6207845434_32e34488db_z.jpg

6207332289_7966acd395_z.jpg

6207329653_d4f1b1207b_z.jpg

6207330515_1c7a8e56dd_z.jpg

And lastly, moi:

6207846126_bcc8b0b595_z.jpg

"I adored the Louis Seize theme of the thing – "

http://randasfans.wordpress.com/tag/mika/

cropped-dscn1399.jpg

We attended HRC‘s National Dinner on Saturday. More photos coming soon, but the new header is cropped from this picture of the after party stage, which featured Mika. I had heard of him, and I recognized one song. Otherwise, I am old. But the kids today seemed pleased, and we bopped along.

6207328875_8e6c69dbe0_z.jpg

The real highlights for me were Mr. President and Ms. Lauper, with an unexpected dash of SJP thrown in!

I’ll get to the main event soon, but here are a few more shots from the after-party; they look fancy, don’t they? The visual effects are not the result of any photographic talent on my part, rather due to my refusal to use a flash. I adored the Louis Seize theme of the thing

6207329105_ecc602db3b_z.jpg

6207844696_578d285972_z.jpg

6207845194_0cb13b43f1_z.jpg

6207845434_32e34488db_z.jpg

6207332289_7966acd395_z.jpg

6207329653_d4f1b1207b_z.jpg

6207330515_1c7a8e56dd_z.jpg

And lastly, moi:

6207846126_bcc8b0b595_z.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

Great to know that some guy who is not interested in Mika's music was pleased with the theme :rolls_eyes:

You make it sound like his opinion is less valid than the random person you quoted who said "Now I'm at the afterparty with some band called Mika(?). They're all wearing Victorian costumes." They don't sound very interested in the music.