"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

I'm buying the UK version. I want Mika to be number 1 in the UK again. That's not going to happen if we listen for free.

I can buy other versions later.

That is true, but I don't exactly have alot of money (literally about 5p at the moment), so I shall spend it wisely :naughty:

But if Mika really needs a bit of help, I may reconsider. :teehee:

I could do without the artwork, to be honest. But I'm afraid we have picked a pop star with an overly creative mind, which is not suitable for focusing on any one thing. :yay:

I guess I think that people should do what they are good at instead of being a jack of all trades (and master of none. :mf_rosetinted:)

The reason I want to go to the theatre to see theatre is because the people who produce Broadway and West End shows are the best in the world at it. Mika's music is good enough for a West End show for sure. Toy Boy, Billy Brown, etc. sound like they have been written for a musical. But putting on a bowler hat and pretending to shoot your band doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

And if Mika's French songs were of the standard of La Solitude of course I would love them. But they're not. I am not even convinced he has some drive to make French music since he needs someone else to write it for him. Someone else who is nowhere near as good as writing songs as Mika is from what I've heard.

It just seems like pandering to the French audience to me. And if he wants to pander to France, whatever, but I don't live in France so I resent having to go to another country to get the best edition of this album. :sneaky2:

I'm buying the UK version. I want Mika to be number 1 in the UK again. That's not going to happen if we listen for free.

My thoughts exactly Marilyn. :thumb_yello:

I guess I think that people should do what they are good at instead of being a jack of all trades (and master of none. :mf_rosetinted:)

The reason I want to go to the theatre to see theatre is because the people who produce Broadway and West End shows are the best in the world at it. Mika's music is good enough for a West End show for sure. Toy Boy, Billy Brown, etc. sound like they have been written for a musical. But putting on a bowler hat and pretending to shoot your band doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

First time he did that with the new band and they didn't get it, I totally understood why they didn't. Here they were on stage with someone that said he had grown up and wanted to act more mature, and then he started shooting them?!?

About the 'people should do what they're good at' thing... I don't know if he'd be better at pop music if he dropped everything else. In my job, what happens a lot is that people sort of get locked in a room and have to work on one thing. While that might work for some people, it definitely doesn't work for me. I was fortunate to get the possibility to do some other things next to my main topic, but I see people that work the same was as me and do not get this opportunity. They just end up being very unhappy and thus unproductive, and probably worse at their job than they would have been had they been allowed to do some other things as well. Focus doesn't work for everyone.

In my job, what happens a lot is that people sort of get locked in a room and have to work on one thing. While that might work for some people, it definitely doesn't work for me. I was fortunate to get the possibility to do some other things next to my main topic, but I see people that work the same was as me and do not get this opportunity. They just end up being very unhappy and thus unproductive, and probably worse at their job than they would have been had they been allowed to do some other things as well. Focus doesn't work for everyone.

But Mika is never locked in a room. He doesn't have a 9 to 5 office job. Most of his life he is free to do whatever he wants. I don't see why everything a musician has a passing interest in needs to make it onto their album or into one of their shows. Mika was doing just fine with his live performances before he started shooting his band.

I have found a way to incorporate Photoshop, web design, etc. into what was once a basic administration job but that doesn't mean I can faff around on Twitter all day because it's more fun than some of my core responsibilities. (Not that I don't try. :mf_rosetinted:)

In any case if Mika wants to indulge himself in some French songs he can knock himself out. But don't make me buy it instead of some good acoustic versions of songs that I actually like! :naughty:

My both parents work in artistic fields and they don't restrain to their major art. Of course, you shouldn't forget your major field (I agree with you, music has to be the priority here) but I believe being an artist means to constantly look for new ways to express something, which can be anything. The purpose of art is making us feel something, it's not scientifical and there are plenty of ways to get there. So, I don't think it's bad if Mika wants to be personaly involved in the artworks of his Cd/shows... It shows a willingness to deliver something that comes as sincere as possible.

And if Mika's French songs were of the standard of La Solitude of course I would love them. But they're not. I am not even convinced he has some drive to make French music since he needs someone else to write it for him. Someone else who is nowhere near as good as writing songs as Mika is from what I've heard.

Are you talking about Barbara's song ? :) Well, the thing with French song is that you can't have a nice French song without good lyrics, while you can in English. And up to now, I think Mika have done pretty weel with Doriand with Karen & Elle me Dit... I understand that Mika might want to sing in French as he grew up with French music and France is a kind of 2nd homeland for him.

Even if he sings in French, you can tell it isn't a basic French song and he's aware of it. He reminds me a bit of Michel Berger's work (for Karen) and I must say that I really like it.

I don't think Mika tries to make classic "French song" as Barbara's, he just does his thing and it's pretty bold, I think. A native French speaker wouldn't use the same words and would probably try to compete with huge song writers such as Gainsbourg or Brel, he needn't and anyway, the people that do great French music do the same, they do their own stuff and it's great. You can tell the influence of old classics but it's different and good.

Doriand has worked with lots of great French artists (Bashung, Françoise Hardy, Sylvie Vartan, Camélia Jordana, ...) so, he must be at least a bit good for nothing...

[YOUTUBE]thbIj7ClWPQ[/YOUTUBE]

It just seems like pandering to the French audience to me. And if he wants to pander to France, whatever, but I don't live in France so I resent having to go to another country to get the best edition of this album. :sneaky2:

Indeed, Canada should get the 2 versions, that'd be more logical... :'/

I hope you can, in the end, get the version you like :o

My both parents work in artistic fields and they don't restrain to their major art. Of course, you shouldn't forget your major field (I agree with you, music has to be the priority here) but I believe being an artist means to constantly look for new ways to express something, which can be anything. The purpose of art is making us feel something, it's not scientifical and there are plenty of ways to get there. So, I don't think it's bad if Mika wants to be personaly involved in the artworks of his Cd/shows... It shows a willingness to deliver something that comes as sincere as possible.

That is all well and good for the artist but I am the consumer of the art. I'm not interested in substandard theatre just because Mika (or anyone else) wants to express themselves that way. I'm sure Mika wouldn't pay money to see me shoot his band and I'd be no worse at it than he is. :naughty:

I will take your word for it that the French songs are up to par. But I'm still not interested in them because it's not my language and more importantly it's not my culture. I don't see why I should have to pay a premium to import the album I want so Mika can indulge himself or some other country that has nothing to do with Canada.

That is all well and good for the artist but I am the consumer of the art. I'm not interested in substandard theatre just because Mika (or anyone else) wants to express themselves that way. I'm sure Mika wouldn't pay money to see me shoot his band and I'd be no worse at it than he is. :naughty:

Actually, I saw him shooting his band in Antwerp and I found it pretty cool but I agree, it doesn't stick with the new image he seems to be looking for. Actually, I tend to like the idea of an artist who does not only try to please his audience so.. I don't know xD You're tautly right , though ;) The consumer doesn't have to care about what the artist intended to do, he just judges what he gets in front of him and that's normal.

I will take your word for it that the French songs are up to par. But I'm still not interested in them because it's not my language and more importantly it's not my culture. I don't see why I should have to pay a premium to import the album I want so Mika can indulge himself or some other country that has nothing to do with Canada.

I completely understand and agree :) Actually, even for me, it sounds pretty obvious that Canada is rather close to US when it comes to culture... I speak French and I live in Belgium which make me pretty close to the French culture (it's still different, though) and some friends of mine went to Canada for a while so I know it's completely different there~

I don't know what that marketing office had on his mind when they made this decision... Hopefully, you will maybe be able to order it through your record shop. :'/ Are the US far from where you live ? :S

Actually, I tend to like the idea of an artist who does not only try to please his audience so.. I don't know xD You're tautly right , though ;) The consumer doesn't have to care about what the artist intended to do, he just judges what he gets in front of him and that's normal.

When I first saw Mika he effectively didn't have an audience (well a short time later anyway). I mean he just had to please himself since he didn't have any fans when he first made LICM. So I agree that's a good thing and obviously I found it appealing since I became a fan.

I just feel like it's a bit of a bait and switch for him to suddenly become a French artist or one that is more interested in the theatrics on stage than the music. That's not who he was when I became a fan and I'm not his mother. I don't feel like it's my duty to indulge him in anything he wants to do whether I like it or not.

Of course he doesn't care what I like or don't like either so we're even. :wink2:

I don't know what that marketing office had on his mind when they made this decision... Hopefully, you will maybe be able to order it through your record shop. :'/ Are the US far from where you live ? :S

I guess it doesn't matter much since English speakers will just buy the regular CD and not the deluxe. The difference in price is negligible and it won't hurt his album sales figures. Only hardcore fans are going to know another deluxe version even exists muchless want to buy it.

Anyway I am going to a few shows in the US in October so I will pick it up there hopefully. I just hope it's out in time because we still don't know the US release date.

i want the album to be high in the German album charts too that´s why I buy the album three times in Germany

i want the album to be high in the German album charts too that´s why I buy the album three times in Germany

Same reason why, although I ordered the CD through MikaSounds because of the screenprint (does anyone know exactly what it is?), and also pre-ordered the French version, especially hoping "L'Amour Dans Le Mauvais Temps" IS "Blame It On The Weather", since I LOVED that song last summer, I'm positively buying it as well from my local store on the day it's released.

Same reason why, although I ordered the CD through MikaSounds because of the screenprint (does anyone know exactly what it is?), and also pre-ordered the French version, especially hoping "L'Amour Dans Le Mauvais Temps" IS "Blame It On The Weather", since I LOVED that song last summer, I'm positively buying it as well from my local store on the day it's released.

I ordered the CD through MikaSounds because of the screenprint (does anyone know exactly what it is?), and also pre-ordered the French version

Me too :thumb_yello:

I don't know about screenprint :teehee:

Please no more versions Mika, not that I dislike, worth it! but my pocket hurts :aah:

Ah I found about TOOL on Daily Star

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/269989/Mika-Origin-Of-Love/

"He’s given us reason to celebrate all right – it’s his strongest album by a mile."

:biggrin2:

Today! is september :dance_man:

I ordered the CD through MikaSounds because of the screenprint (does anyone know exactly what it is?), and also pre-ordered the French version

Please no more versions Mika, not that I dislike, worth it! but my pocket hurts :aah:

"He’s given us reason to celebrate all right – it’s his strongest album by a mile."

I loved what they wrote on the Daily Star review. Even better since it is a UK thing.

great review, but... since when is step with me a ballad? :blink::aah:

i did that the last time and it didn't help. :aah: this time i have no money to buy it several times, but for the same reason you mentioned, i'll also buy the (deluxe) german version. also because i want the acoustic versions that aren't on the french cd.

Edited by mellody

great review, but... since when is step with me a ballad? :blink::aah:

i did that the last time and it didn't help. :aah: this time i have no money to buy it several times, but for the same reason you mentioned, i'll also buy the (deluxe) german version. also because i want the acoustic versions that aren't on the french cd.

I ordered three German versions yesterday :wink2: but they are not only for me. I need two of them as a gift I made to two friends last christmas and my friends had to wait for so long :floor:. So I´ll have for me the French and the German Deluxe version. Let´s see if the UK one is different to the German one.....

I don't remember this interview being posted anywhere, so I'll just leave it here :thumb_yello:

[YOUTUBE]yrmo9hinpVU[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks so much Milda :huglove: it's really a pleasure for all our sences hear Mika talks about his music, feelings and emotions:wub2:

I don't remember this interview being posted anywhere, so I'll just leave it here :thumb_yello:

[YOUTUBE]yrmo9hinpVU[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you,Milda! :flowers2: Great interview,I really like the way he's talking about the songs! I guess this was recorded just before the pre-listening session in Milan.