"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

I think any song from the album is a better choice than Celebrate . :dunno:

Mika said in Milan that local labels wanted different singles to be released - most likely based on their gut feel about what is going to work in a particular country.

:lmfao: I seriously thought someone maybe threat him to release celebrate as a single... (pharrell?:mf_rosetinted:)

New thing... Could the local labels ask an artist to release different songs in their country? :shocked: wonder in which country celebrate most works then... :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: I seriously thought someone maybe threat him to release celebrate as a single... (pharrell?:mf_rosetinted:)

:

:roftl: yes, it is just so strange Celebrate was chosen as the lead single despite it clearly being the weakest chain. I mean, we all have different tastes but it was so clear from first reactions as well as our internal survey that this song just didn't match expectations. Even Mika admitted being aware of fan reactions to it and he keeps mentioning other songs being his favourites. So it must be record company 's choice and most likely a forced one, unless they really tried to pitch it for the Olympics and it didn't work. :dunno:

I think any song from the album is a better choice than Celebrate . :dunno:

Mika said in Milan that local labels wanted different singles to be released - most likely based on their gut feel about what is going to work in a particular country.

Well the only songs I'd heard to so far is MYH Celebrate and TOOl, but I think Celebrate was the right choice to choose if Mika wants to get more publicity and make people aware of him.

Well the only songs I'd heard to so far is MYH Celebrate and TOOl, but I think Celebrate was the right choice to choose if Mika wants to get more publicity and make people aware of him.

how can a mediocre song with plain lyrics bring him publicity? This song does not even sound 'current', whilst Stardust and Overrated do, actually, and still sound stylish.

I have never heard Celebrate on the ratio / tv and I have several European music channels, so to me it doesn't seem to work but maybe I am impatient and this song will pick up :dunno:

Edited by suzie

how can a mediocre song with plain lyrics bring him publicity? This song does not even sound 'current', whilst Stardust and Overrated do, actually, and still sound stylish.

I have never heard Celebrate on the ratio / tv and I have several European music channels, so to me it doesn't seem to work but maybe I am impatient and this song will pick up :dunno:

Surprise, surprise, I heard Celebrate on Serbian radio stations several times, at hairdressers, in a taxi, in a car, at home. :thumb_yello: I was really shocked and pleasantly surprised every time, though it's not my favourite song. :aah: I really like to hear it publicly.

And I have to say, even if no one cares,:aah: Make You Happy is still my favourite. I know it wouldn't be a smashing hit but I don't care. It's a G R E A T song!

how can a mediocre song with plain lyrics bring him publicity?

Because it has two additional words you're overlooking: "featuring Pharrell."

Pharrell is pretty much revered here in the US. He's even a frontrunner to become a new judge on American Idol next season:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/pharrell-williams-a-top-candidate-a-new-judge-american-idol-article-1.1132109?localLinksEnabled=false

His association with Celebrate will definitely work in its favor, at least here in the States. Which I suspect may be behind its release as a single. Just speculating. :pinkbow:

:roftl: yes, it is just so strange Celebrate was chosen as the lead single despite it clearly being the weakest chain. I mean, we all have different tastes but it was so clear from first reactions as well as our internal survey that this song just didn't match expectations. Even Mika admitted being aware of fan reactions to it and he keeps mentioning other songs being his favourites. So it must be record company 's choice and most likely a forced one, unless they really tried to pitch it for the Olympics and it didn't work. :dunno:

I was totally agree with your words, and once wrote the same (but a bit more mean), though my internet jumped, and my post died...

But now I see that people like it! I searched in Russian analog of Facebook for MIKA, and I can see what songs of him are popular there. So, Celebrate starts to get points! I haven't seen posting MYH, but Celebrate - a lot. Moreover, the song sounds accordingly to people's tastes as I can observe listening to the FM stations. It suites radio very well.

When I heard Celebrate for the first time, I was hugely disappointed. It is not my cup of tea. But finally I got used to it. And after watching such a brilliant vid I started even to like it.

So, I didn't ever expect to like it, but I started to think about Celebrate positively and it makes me smile. So no wonder if common listeners will like it as well. I believe it will be very very popular.

Because that's what people want. And this is just personal references, but

1.) I know that my friend thinks Celebrate is one of Mika's best songs, and yes I have showed her Lola and TOOL.

2.) On Spotify Celebrate is the 3rd most played Mika song, only Grace Kelly and Happy Ending is played more times.

3.) People Celebrate is played on the radio, and in some countries very often.

That's why I think Celebrate is a good choice, it's right in time, and we have to give it some time and it needs publicity. But yeah I think they did something right when they chose Celebrate as a single.

Because it has two additional words you're overlooking: "featuring Pharrell."

Pharrell is pretty much revered here in the US. He's even a frontrunner to become a new judge on American Idol next season:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/pharrell-williams-a-top-candidate-a-new-judge-american-idol-article-1.1132109?localLinksEnabled=false

His association with Celebrate will definitely work in its favor, at least here in the States. Which I suspect may be behind its release as a single. Just speculating. :pinkbow:

:thumb_yello: Same here....:naughty:

I'm not even happy about Celebrate being the first single :dunno:

don't worry, celebrate don't reflect the album in my opinion!!! it's just a teaser for the new mika's electro sound... as always with all the new albums available now. we'll see when the album will be available

Because that's what people want. And this is just personal references, but

1.) I know that my friend thinks Celebrate is one of Mika's best songs, and yes I have showed her Lola and TOOL.

2.) On Spotify Celebrate is the 3rd most played Mika song, only Grace Kelly and Happy Ending is played more times.

3.) People Celebrate is played on the radio, and in some countries very often.

That's why I think Celebrate is a good choice, it's right in time, and we have to give it some time and it needs publicity. But yeah I think they did something right when they chose Celebrate as a single.

:thumb_yello:

i didn't love celebrate at first listen but i definitely liked it and now it's grown so much on me! every non-mika fan i've played it for has liked it and it will definitely do well on radio - it just needs to get out on radio more :wink2:

:thumb_yello:

i didn't love celebrate at first listen but i definitely liked it and now it's grown so much on me! every non-mika fan i've played it for has liked it and it will definitely do well on radio - it just needs to get out on radio more :wink2:

That's why I've been emailing and writing on the Facebook pages of local radio stations, giving them the link to the video... It can't hurt. :dunno:

BTW, did you hear the acoustic version of Celebrate on iTunes? It's not bad.

:original:

I really hope you are right about that song being a favourite on European radio playlists and especially about Pharrell's name being able to 'sell it' or at least create some interest in Mika in the US. It is not representative of the album though and I do think it is a compromise he had to make but he'll never admit it, of course. Like I said before, whatever works for him. I hope it will. The results will be measurable soon. It is the UK and US playlists and charts that will really count, anyway, so this song still has some time to get played on MTV and other larger music channels.