Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Maybe, but that's for "live" effect. Most electronic music can be created without any musicians, mostly on a computer. And besides, I don't want Mika to sound like Robyn. I want him to sound like Mika, and this type of stuff doesn't make use of his talent.

I suppose you can argue that everything that happens on stage is for live effect. Otherwise we could all sit at home and listen to it on our CDs.

I get your point about Robyn's sound though. It's not exactly where I would have expected Mika to go and I think he could also use his vocals to better effect in the kind of stuff I really like. But it's his music so I don't expect him to do exactly what I like, especially since my preferences are also nothing like his earlier music :naughty: I am just glad he's shaking things up because what he was doing in 2007 is too dated now and I'm bored of it.

Maybe, but that's for "live" effect. Most electronic music can be created without any musicians, mostly on a computer. And besides, I don't want Mika to sound like Robyn. I want him to sound like Mika, and this type of stuff doesn't make use of his talent.

I agree,I'm not here for Robyn,I like Mika's music.He is too good for this weird mixture in his songs IMO.

The short film is absolutely magical!! :wub2: Loved it from the first moment. Well Done Andy!

Hahah, all this looks like a well-planned strategy to me :teehee: Looks it's working too!

I agree. Mika's chuffed-to-little-mintballs about this, I'm sure.

I suppose you can argue that everything that happens on stage is for live effect. Otherwise we could all sit at home and listen to it on our CDs.

I get your point about Robyn's sound though. It's not exactly where I would have expected Mika to go and I think he could also use his vocals to better effect in the kind of stuff I really like. But it's his music so I don't expect him to do exactly what I like, especially since my preferences are also nothing like his earlier music :naughty: I am just glad he's shaking things up because what he was doing in 2007 is too dated now and I'm bored of it.

Don't get me wrong, of course it's up to him what he does, and if I personally don't like it, well he won't be losing too much sleep... I know he needed to move on, and all artists change, but for someone who has such immense vocal talent, not to mention his piano-playing and ear for a wonderful melody, this change to me is a total waste of that unique talent, and a change borne far more out commercial/financial consideration than artistic integrity.

Don't get me wrong, of course it's up to him what he does, and if I personally don't like it, well he won't be losing too much sleep...

Yes of course, I just meant for me it doesn't have to be "perfect". None of Mika's music has suited my tastes exactly, but I was really impressed with his live performance when I saw him and that's when I became a "fan". I really loved GK but wasn't especially impressed with the album until later.

When I say I'm bored with what he was doing in 2007, I don't mean bored of the songs. They still hold a lot of sentimental value from all the gigs and other special moments. But Rain was pretty much Relax Part II and even though Relax Part III probably would have sounded just as great, I just don't want to keep hearing the same song over again. It doesn't have the same value as the original.

this change to me is a total waste of that unique talent, and a change borne far more out commercial/financial consideration than artistic integrity.

Perhaps but I'd like to think that's not the case. Mika LIKES Robyn, he always has so it doesn't surprise me that he wants to express himself this way. I still would have expected him to go a more dancey pop route, but he would have been accused of selling out with that as well, because that's what's in the charts. I think if he was just trying to make money it would be more standard pop.

But I guess we're getting ahead of ourselves here because we haven't heard the single yet.

This song and video=:wub2::excite:!

Look, it's the 1st time we've heard him since last summer and we still don't know what the album itself sounds like. He even said himself on twitter that this song is not a single but because it was leaked to the internet he had to show it. Let's just wait for the OFFICIAL singles to come out mmk?

But I guess we're getting ahead of ourselves here because we haven't heard the single yet.

Yes, I live in hope that either the single, or the rest of the album (or both) will be utterly fabulous, with soaring vocals, some piano, and superb catchy melodies, and a distinct lack of sounds that have been created by knobs (I use the word dubiously :teehee:). Then I will eat my words and go and sit on the naughty step for ever having doubted him!

Let's just wait for the OFFICIAL singles to come out mmk?

Ooooorrr...we can just let people express their opinions. :wink2:

Yes, I live in hope that either the single, or the rest of the album (or both) will be utterly fabulous, with soaring vocals, some piano, and superb catchy melodies, and a distinct lack of sounds that have been created by knobs (I use the word dubiously :teehee:). Then I will eat my words and go and sit on the naughty step for ever having doubted him!

:lmfao:

You're still going to Lovebox? I think you will be persuaded by his physical charms. :mikacool:

yeah for me, it's pretty much the same .. especially when I listened to it for the first time.:teehee: I didn't expect to hear that kind of electro but I think it's really amazing song .... and it made me sooooo happy:wub2:

yeah, i almost cry when i imagine that mika would sing this song just for me.. :wub2:

He needs to change if music changes.... and I don´t mean "his" music, but music in general

I know. But I mean, I kinda like the song. I love it when he sings, but that robot voice is so very much present :aah: He might to something special with it live though so it's less electronic. After all I liked elle me dit live too.

I'll just have to sleep on it :mf_rosetinted:

I know. But I mean, I kinda like the song. I love it when he sings, but that robot voice is so very much present :aah: He might to something special with it live though so it's less electronic. After all I liked elle me dit live too.

Imogen Heap used that vocoder sound on one of her songs, but not on every one. I wouldn't worry that every song is going to have a robot voice on it :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]UYIAfiVGluk&ob[/YOUTUBE]

You're still going to Lovebox? I think you will be persuaded by his physical charms. :mikacool:

Yep, got ticket, still going! I hadn't noticed his physical charms, but the delights of Victoria Park are simply too plentiful for me to consider not going!

Video is lovely, it's very commercial if you allow me.

And I did notice the song is different from his usual. He said it was gonna be different though, but it's still surprising since the other songs we've heard are not different.

I also think the sound of the song feels a little bit commercial too. And I miss his voice in a more pure way as we are used too, I don't think he needs any modification.

Anyways, I'm loving it :mikalove:

I do agree with that, I'm fine with roboty snippets or samples but this one does take up a lot of the song.

AND for musicians, what time signature do you think is this in? It's kind of bugging me because the chorus doesn't fit in a time signature in my head. :aah:

Imogen Heap used that vocoder sound on one of her songs, but not on every one. I wouldn't worry that every song is going to have a robot voice on it :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]UYIAfiVGluk&ob[/YOUTUBE]

I think the voice works at some times in the song, but at other times it's all you can here :aah:

But yes indeed, I don't think he'll use it in every song.That would be a bit too much of the same. :aah:

wow! what a day!

woke up only thinking about my exam - checked twitter to find it had imploded with this news..thanks a bunch!!:aah::aah:

i hated the electronic voice on first hear..but now it's grown on me..and from the very FIRST listen it was stuck in my head - distractingly so!:naughty:

so a definite big like! whether it grows to love we'll see...:wub2:

I thought it was:

Maybe I knew, hardly a bolt from the blue.

Actually, you could be right. Really hard to hear if it's "maybe" or

"baby", but the "hardly a bolt from the blue" is right, I think.

Also, at the end I'm not sure it's "Never gonna give you up" but I

can't exactly make it out. Then "never gonna sort you out"... and

When's it gonna hit ya?

I'm never gonna let you down.

I guess I'll have to listen to it 100 more times or so, just to be sure. :wub2:

Finally I'm back from work and can listen to this! We've been waiting for so long! :boing:

I've listened to it 3 times only at the moment

1st listen (without video) : Ok, that's quite a change, what is this electronic voice as a chorus?? Oh but it sounds very nice in between. I can hear a bit of MJ even if I don't know his work that well.

2nd listen (with video) : Still a bit annoyed by the robotic chorus voice, but I'm completely transported to somewhere else watching the video at the same time. Beautiful work

3rd listen : I'm smiling. A lot. I think I like it. :wub2:

ah, now i know what it reminds me of... owl city, fireflies.

I thought the same when I was listening to it the second time :thumb_yello:

You know, I almost feel the song sounds better with the film... I really like the video and it's nice to watch it while listening to Mika's voice.

Yes I agree, I don't know if I'll watch it again and again but really it's a beautiful piece of work mixing these images to this sound

Where's it gonna end up?

This part sounds different, but I can't be sure. Anyone has an idea?

EDIT: When's it gonna hit ya? sounds ok

Edited by nenartus

I remember my first reaction on Elle me Dit... it was like wow! I like this song, but it's not "wow" for me... but, just give me some time))) I didn't like Karen from the first listening, but later i absolutely loved it. It sounds not like "usual" Mika...interesting sound.