First journalists review of TOOL

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was already a translation of this?

Translation :wink2:

Mika is still the same. He promises it. 'The Origin of Love', to be released on September 17, initiates a change of direction for the singer of 'Relax' though. Today at lunch time, in a trendy café in St Germain, the singer had invited programme planners and journalists to listen to his 3rd album. 9 songs. Not all finished.

The song that opens the album gives its name to it. 'The Origin of Love', written in Montreal a year and a half ago when Mika started. A very electro dance title, without a real chorus but with surprising bridges. We are far from the pop songs from LICM but the production is remarkable. Perfect introduction, the title makes 'cigarette' and 'nicorette' rhyme with the vocoded voice of Mika, who offered himself the services of Empire of the Sun for the production.

The following title is 'Celebrate', launched on the radio today, which could have the same destiny as EMD did last Summer. Produced with the complicity of Pharrell Williams, this dance/disco title is ultra effective but will unsettle the admirers of the nice piano melodies of the Francophile man.

The two following titles won't reassure them much more. Mika yields to the electro trend with the exhilarating 'Overrated', cut out for the clubs, the explosive 'Stardust' or the dark and nebulous 'Make You Happy' already revealed. In all these songs, Mika worked with real musicians, no computers. The production was made only after recording, he swore.

We have to wait for 'Underwater' in order to hear some piano again. This title is a caesura in the album and opens the way to a more 'pop' second part. "Cause all I need is the love you breathe. Put your lips on me, and I can live underwater" sings the young Lebanese man in a quite catchy song. (I corrected their lyrics which looked strange) Much more pop, 'Lola' is the 6th title. A true hit. A potential single which will please - this time - Mika fans. A title written and produced in less than 4 hours as the singer told us. A beautiful ballad with a catchy introduction where hand clapping and choirs are mixed.

The two following titles also caught our attention. 'Step With Me' in which Mika asks himself some questions and answers to himself in a genius game of opposition between back vocals and vocals. 'Step 1 Step 2 Step 3' he counts in a title based on a guitar melody.

'Popular' closes the album. Another hit. Amazing title where we find a feminine voice, allusion to his first album. 'Cause my song is popular' he chants on a lively piano rhythm. He is a popular, pop, general public artist. His wealth is that he has ingested 50 years of the history of pop music.

Only the 3 French titles including EMD which will probably be on a second disc are missing. Mika is going one step forward, half-opens a door on the dancefloor without throwing himself wholeheartedly in it. It's in the bag (lol I don't know the exact translation, it means literally 'won bet')

I think there was already a translation of this?

Thank you Cristine and Camille :huglove:

And I also hope Overrated has not changed too much :aah:

I loved it as a demo :wub2:

We can still listen to the demo anyway :naughty:

As with I see you and I'm falling ...I love both :wub2:

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/news-80259.html

Mika had a few journalists listening to nine songs of TOOL.

Here is the review. It is in French , I will post the translation asap

Thank you so much :thumb_yello:

yes, that's the translation.

my oh my... overrated worries me :naughty:

Me, too...:sad:

Mika yields to the electro trend with the exhilarating 'Overrated', cut out for the clubs

seriously what has he done to the song I love so much? :blink:

"Much more pop, 'Lola' is the 6th title. A true hit. A potential single which will please - this time - Mika fans. A title written and produced in less than 4 hours as the singer told us. A beautiful ballad with a catchy introduction where hand clapping and choirs are mixed."

I have a feeling I'm gonna love this Lola song :swoon:

from a Dutch blogger:

http://www.josbisschop.com/?p=2696

Mika – Celebrate (CDS 2012)

Posted on 17/06/2012 by jos

Het nieuwe album van Mika komt uit in september, The Origin Of Love wordt de titel en hierop werkt hij samen met niet minder dan Benny Benassi, William Orbit en Pharrel Williams. De laatste doet ook mee op de single, Celebratie die op uitkomen staat. Klinkt alvast veelbelovend dit.

This entry was posted in Dance Pop, electro pop, single review and tagged Mika by jos.the permalink.

Comments are closed.

The new album, The Origin of Love by Mika will be released in September. He works with no less then Benny Benassi, Wiliam Orbit and Pharrel Williams. Pharrel is also on the single Celebrate wich will be released soon. Sounds promising.

Thanks for posting Anne:thumb_yello:

"Much more pop, 'Lola' is the 6th title. A true hit. A potential single which will please - this time - Mika fans. A title written and produced in less than 4 hours as the singer told us. A beautiful ballad with a catchy introduction where hand clapping and choirs are mixed."

I have a feeling I'm gonna love this Lola song :swoon:

me too:wub2:

this reviewer is obv. coughstupidcough. why would mika and pharell try to sell a song they co-wrote for mika's album to adam lambert or usher???:blink:

IGNORE.

He's not saying they tried selling it to Lambert or Usher at all :roftl: He's just saying that it's a single that sounds like it could have been turned down by them because of the elements used in the song. No different to saying, for example, "The song sounds like it belongs to Madonna but perhaps she turned it down, cos Lady GaGa got it instead" :naughty:

EDIT: And no, the reviewer didn't like it, but at the end he did state that both "Mika and Pharell deserve better", which goes to show that the reviewer recognises the fact that they both CAN produce better music than Celebrate, cos he knows there's talent there. At least he didn't go "it's a pile of sh*t, what else can we expect from this unexpected, dreaded duo?" :naughty:

Edited by CazGirl

He's not saying they tried selling it to Lambert or Usher at all :roftl: He's just saying that it's a single that sounds like it could have been turned down by them because of the elements used in the song. No different to saying, for example, "The song sounds like it belongs to Madonna but perhaps she turned it down, cos Lady GaGa got it instead" :naughty:

I got exactly what Nas did out of it. I think it's pretty clear " In fact, there’s a good chance Lambert turned this down."

I think there are some fair points in the article but Mika is a songwriter and Adam Lambert is a talent contest winner. I don't think it's fair to imply that there are songwriters shopping around songs to male singers and Mika is just picking up Adam Lambert's leftovers because Adam Lambert has better judgement. I'm sure that's not what happened at all.

I got exactly what Nas did out of it. I think it's pretty clear " In fact, there’s a good chance Lambert turned this down."

I think there are some fair points in the article but Mika is a songwriter and Adam Lambert is a talent contest winner. I don't think it's fair to imply that there are songwriters shopping around songs to male singers and Mika is just picking up Adam Lambert's leftovers because Adam Lambert has better judgement. I'm sure that's not what happened at all.

Yeah I did read that. but I took in the way that he was just joking.

Yeah I did read that. but I took in the way that he was just joking.

That's not how I took it because I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Adam Lambert makes his records. My favourite song of his was written by Pink.

Here's a great, very very positive article about Mika's single and new album:

http://www.redrivernoise.com/2012/06/mika-releases-new-single-celebrate-from.html#.T-jEfDsH8Lk.twitter

Mika releases new single "Celebrate" from 'The Origin Of Love'

Written by Trevor Talley.

You know Mika, yeah? Wait, you ain't know Mika? Well, if you don't, you're gonna. The already massive British pop star is about to come out with his third full album, called The Origin of Love, and it's set to be a big damn deal. Mika has been making it big in Europe since 2006, and the modern-pop-meets-Queen singer is going for the musical jugular with this release. With his freaky-dynamic

vocal range, universally approachable good looks and a thumb on the pop universe, Mika is set to crack the U.S. pop charts in no time flat.

Mika's one of a recent slew of pop vocalists that have fully recognized the potential for their sound to merge with electronic music, and that's exactly what you'll here with the first single off his hugely anticipated near album, called "Celebrate." The track is a straight up summer club-killer, and it's not hard to see that this track is gonna get the endless producer rework à la La Roux in no time flat (and if we're wrong about that, we'll eat our headphones).

Mika's obviously got some smart fools on his payroll, as The Origin of Love is almost mind-ruiningly filled with guests and co-stars that are guaranteed to bring this worthy songster an even larger audience. To list just a few, Benny damn Benassi, FrYars, William Orbit and some dude called Pharrell worked on the album. Get on this, you music listeners you, because if the single is any sign, this album is about to drop huge. Like Guetta huge. And in this day and age, there really ain't much huger.

:shocked::thumb_yello: