Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

How about this one:

Patre deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

I ode matre deus machismo

deus extus (?) santu spiritus ....

There is definitely a twist in there I want to figure out and I don't think he actually means that 'I hate my mother' but more likely, I hate "Mother Jesus"

- would that make sense ? (I think I'll go to hell now for having that written down in any case :naughty:

:mf_popeanim:

The last line also does not make sense (God outside the Holy Spirit) except considering the lines before / the lyrics of the song itself... :teehee:

What do you think?

oh, and I hear another line as the first one from Denmark but that was a recorded part and in Tallinn it was all live, I think.

Does it this machismo?

Definition of MACHISMO

: a strong sense of masculine pride : an exaggerated masculinity

Anyway, it doesn't sound like Latin word, especially the ending -o.

Does it this machismo?

I think he puts this Spanish word that translates to but means more than 'machoism' in this Latin chant to point out the power and control the church / God (i.e. Deus) is exerting on his disciples.

So, the way I hear and interpret it is that in the second part he is using the complete opposite words (instead of 'love' he says 'hate' and most importantly, puts God in feminine) I could have misunderstood that, of course (I never even studied Latin, to begin with) but since no-one has said otherwise yet you'd have to go with my transcription and interpretation for a while. :teehee:

Edit: oh, just saw the reply from @DerMoment1608 - it is the two of us who hear more or less the same

Edited by suzie

wow, I started quoting and ended up with 48397598324573498 quotes :mf_rosetinted:

About the latin part... let´s see... I´m not sure Mika studied Latin in school :aah:

It´s mater and pater (instead of matre and patre) and I ode... Are you using "I" as in "me"? Cause for what I recall "I" is the imperative form from "eo".. as "go!".

"Ode" doesn´t exists... it could be "odi" which yes,means to hate. But it would be the infinitive form, so it´s not valid as in... "I hate anything" :aah:

And I have a doubt with the word "machismo" and so I resurrected my old latin-spanish dictionary and searched. And no, that word is not there. Not even a similar one...

Mika, guy... where did you studied Latin??:mf_rosetinted:

wow, I started quoting and ended up with 48397598324573498 quotes :mf_rosetinted:

About the latin part... let´s see... I´m not sure Mika studied Latin in school :aah:

It´s mater and pater (instead of matre and patre) and I ode... Are you using "I" as in "me"? Cause for what I recall "I" is the imperative form from "eo".. as "go!".

"Ode" doesn´t exists... it could be "odi" which yes,means to hate. But it would be the infinitive form, so it´s not valid as in... "I hate anything" :aah:

And I have a doubt with the word "machismo" and so I resurrected my old latin-spanish dictionary and searched. And no, that word is not there. Not even a similar one...

Mika, guy... where did you studied Latin??:mf_rosetinted:

So how would this translate then?

To be honest, that way, it has no translation... at least from Latin.. since it´s not Latin... :lmfao:

The sentence "I ode mater deus machismo" is SO wrong... First of all, everyone could think that "I" it´s "me" but no... LOL so, it could be something like "GO HATE MOTHER GOD MACHISM" not mother of God, because deus is the nominative (which means it must be the subject). Another wrong thing, is that in Latin, the verb is always at the end of the sentence, never after the subject... so if you wanted to say something like "I HATE THE MOTHER OF GOD BECAUSE OF THE MACHISM" it should be something like "ego mater dei machismum (?) odeo (I can´t remember how to form this verb)"

"Machismo" *is* a word in Portuguese, so maybe he decided to put everything together. :mf_rosetinted:

It´s Spanish also.

Oh dear :lmfao:

@andydermanis

Check out this live version of Origin of Love. Has to be one of the best pop songs of recent years

@Skeptique

@andydermanis We're trying to work out the Latin bit. Any clues?

@andydermanis

@Skeptique Ha! Me too! Let me know when you figure it out!

I could help you... i've studied Latin and Greek at school for 5 years (I was at Grammar School) :aah:

Do we have a very good audio of the latin part?

watch the live version in Denmark, you can see him speaking this part as well

How about this one:

Patre deus machismo

So, listened the latin part and i'm not sure about the world machismo...i think the part "i ode matre" it's an assonance to another little phrase and "exctus" could be "pectus"

Unfortunately the audio is not so good so i have to listen it again and again and again :doh:

@andydermanis

Check out this live version of Origin of Love. Has to be one of the best pop songs of recent years

@Skeptique

@andydermanis

Ah, nice! We can't count on anyone, can we? :doh:

:aah:

@andydermanis

@Skeptique

@andydermanis

:floor::floor: he never has the possibility to ask Mika so we should do it :naughty:

I thought, what's it like? no no no nooo no happy ending no no no nooo no happy ending. These melodies are is identical.

Why be so literal what I'd like a new song, like Happy ending?

So, listened the latin part and i'm not sure about the world machismo...i think the part "i ode matre" it's an assonance to another little phrase and "exctus" could be "pectus"

Unfortunately the audio is not so good so i have to listen it again and again and again :doh:

Ok i think it's "magistro" and "pectus" :wink2:

"Machismo" *is* a word in Portuguese, so maybe he decided to put everything together. :mf_rosetinted:

Hsve you considered that 'machismo' does not translate to Latin as Latin is a dead language and you do not have the equivalent of certain words like feminism, electricity or iPad? :rolls_eyes: :roftl:

It could be a totally different word though

That's why I asked if a Spanish speaker, whose language basically roots in Latin , can transribe it-

So any suggestionss what he says then? :teehee:

Edited by suzie

Hsve you considered that 'machismo' does not translate to Latin as Latin is a dead language and you do not have the equivalent of certain words like feminism, electricity or iPad? :rolls_eyes: :roftl:

It could be a totally different word though

That's why I asked if a Spanish speaker, whose language basically roots in Latin , can transribe it-

So any suggestionss what he says then? :teehee:

I wasn't asking about that specific word, I was asking about the lyrics as a whole, as Rosa seemed to have a working knowledge of Latin. I was already aware that machismo wasn't a Latin word.:wink2:

I wasn't asking about that specific word, I was asking about the lyrics as a whole, as Rosa seemed to have a working knowledge of Latin. I was already aware that machismo wasn't a Latin word.:wink2:

oh ok. Sorry. misread it then. That's what I'm asking, too. :teehee:

It does seem to me that it is a mix of Spanish and Latin in any case, and as far as Mika's creativity goes I can totally see him write padre deus - (Spanish-Latin mix) :roftl:

I did think of words like 'magne deus' at first but it really does not sound like he is singling all in latin and I still hear machismo . (well, not right now as I can'tlisten to anything at the moment)

I am patiently awaiting for someone to find the right words - I want to correct those before I get accused of blasphemy

Edited by suzie

How about this one:

Patre deus machismo

There is definitely a twist in there I want to figure out and I don't think he actually means that 'I hate my mother' but more likely, I hate "Mother Jesus"

- would that make sense ? (I think I'll go to hell now for having that written down in any case :naughty:

:mf_popeanim:

The last line also does not make sense (God outside the Holy Spirit) except considering the lines before / the lyrics of the song itself... :teehee:

What do you think?

oh, and I hear another line as the first one from Denmark but that was a recorded part and in Tallinn it was all live, I think.

Maybe it could be:

Patre deus magistro or magistrus

Patre deus, deus magistro or magistrus

domine matre deus magistro or magistrus

domine .....(?) santu spiritus

Edited by Lucrezia

Maybe it could be:

Patre deus magistro or magistrus

Patre deus, deus magistro or magistrus

domine matre deus magistro or magistrus

domine .....(?) santu spiritus

Thank you! :flowers2: