Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

@rosa: I'll be honest with you, I'm not liking the new stuff so far. From what I've heard there isn't any song that sparks the same enthusiasm as I had before. Not underwater, not karen, not myh, not tool... I really liked celebrate at first, I guess it's still my favorite of the new stuff, but it's not like I'll get the sudden urge to play it a lot.

The worst thing about it is that I wish it was different. I wanted to like the new stuff but I got disappointed. And with every new song I hope that it will be different and that I will love it immediately like I did with most of the old stuff. So here's me looking forward to Lola, and hoping that will be the song...

Anyway, even if I don't like this album, that's not the end of the world imo. I expect more albums to follow + maybe the studio versions of these songs are totally different, time will tell. :wink2:

Can't wait to hear the next song , also cant wait until September 16th :swoon:Wait , I can't wait that long :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

:jawdrop:

Youngling # 142

Queeniac # 92

SmileLikeYouMeanIt!!!

Thanks for posting!!! This is a good one! So far I'm really liking this, Elle Me Dit, and Underwater. :clap:

The xylophone at the end reminds me of the tune from Coldplay's "Clocks" :teehee:

I really like it. He's still MIKA. Evolving, which is great, but in this song, he's staying true to himself from what I can hear. I will never get tired of the choir-ish sound he puts in some of his songs.

I quite like TOOL, but I am not super thrilled like I have been in previous years when I first heard new music from Mika. Very strange feeling. :(

Also with Lola...no one will believe me, but my husband and I have always sung, "Oh, Lola!" to our dog since we first got her more than a year ago. As I was listening to it, I was shocked cos it sounded just like what we sing! Weird.....

I quite like TOOL, but I am not super thrilled like I have been in previous years when I first heard new music from Mika. Very strange feeling. :(

Also with Lola...no one will believe me, but my husband and I have always sung, "Oh, Lola!" to our dog since we first got her more than a year ago. As I was listening to it, I was shocked cos it sounded just like what we sing! Weird.....

:naughty: Mika played Lola today & both of my neighbors asked me to keep an eye on their dogs Saturday night/Sunday... both dogs named Lola... coincidence? i think not! :fisch:

:naughty:

It's just occurred to me that this song sounds a bit like Life by Des'ree in places :shocked: Well to me it does, anyway.

Which part exactly? We normally hear similar things, that's why I'm asking...

Funny because this morning I woke up with the melody for "I gave you all that you feel and everything you hold dear" and trying to figure out why it sounded familiar and I suddenly remembered "No emotional ties

You don't remember my name I lay down and die I'm only to blame" - :teehee: I love that song, too. :roftl:

OMFG:shocked:

This is the one. The CORE of the 3rd album for real! I ABSOLFUXCKINGLUTELY LOVE IT!

It certainly has great flow.. very well 'constructed' I can say.. (maybe not appropriate word in English:mf_rosetinted:) Has up-and down in right places... well.. It has all factors which Single cut song should have! :aah::aah:

Listening this song, Celebrate seems like a 'test' or something.. :naughty:

In this thread I saw there's some divided opinion about this song...but For Me, it is the best single song ever heard from Mika. :thumb_yello: My Fave song so far was 'Good Gone Girl' ,but I always thought it lacks something that Single cut songs must have. The Origin of Love, it has all. Completed and Perfect ! Second single song should be this one! :thumb_yello: (should have been released as 1st single before this summer, Mika! :doh:)

I think he says : "your love is air I breathe it all around me, don't know it's there but without it I'm drawning" here:

Some love is pain, some love is a candy cane

Tastes so sweet but leave you feeling sick of pain

Your love is air I breathe it in and out dear

You're always there...

Love, you're the origin of love

You're the origin of love

You're the origin of love love love love

Thank god that you found me

From the air I breathe to the love I need

Only thing I know is that you're the origin of love

From the god above to the one I love

Only thing that's true the origin is you

This is soooo much better. He seemed to be singing out of sync with the rhythm at Nibe (or maybe it's just the videos), but this sounds so much more polished. I still don't like the Nicorette lines but it's easier to imagine how this could be a single/dance track.

[YOUTUBE]gCkiPBlWi4w[/YOUTUBE]

For Me, it is the best single song ever heard from Mika. :thumb_yello:

I feel the same, especially as I am now listening to the latest version from Tallinn. I will update the video in the first post.

I have to say that after I've listened to the Tallinn version I like it a lot better! .

They added some new layers / parts to the sound. The baseline is really strong now, you can feel the 'groove' much more now. :groovy:

But as someone already have said, it sounds a bit like underwater in the beginning.

Both start with a keyboard / piano riff but that is completely different in its melody from the other one :dunno:

It's just occurred to me that this song sounds a bit like Life by Des'ree in places :shocked: Well to me it does, anyway.

I would post a video of that song but I seem to have completely forgotten how to embed videos here :blink::blink::blink::lmfao:

Haha, you're right.

From the air I breathe to the love I need

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

From the god above to the one I love

Only thing that's true the origin is you

reminds me of this part

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,

doo, doot doot dooo.

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,

doo, doot dooo

This is soooo much better. He seemed to be singing out of sync with the rhythm at Nibe (or maybe it's just the videos), but this sounds so much more polished. I still don't like the Nicorette lines but it's easier to imagine how this could be a single/dance track.

I have to say that after I've listened to the Tallinn version I like it a lot better!

But as someone already have said, it sounds a bit like underwater in the beginning.

True! Tool sounds better and catchier in this video.

Maybe listening to the live versions first wasn't such a good idea :huh:

after thinking about it for a day, i decided that i love this song. :wub2: i already had a better feeling with it from the beginning than i had with myh or celebrate on the first listening, but after listening to it 2 or 3 times in the versions from denmark and estonia, i decided that it's fantastic, and definitely my fave of the 3 new songs! i still like karen and underwater the most of all the new songs, but it's getting closer. :naughty:

there is only one little part in tool that disturbs me, and that's the background music to the "love is a drug..." part - especially that bit of instrumental you can hear before he starts singing. it reminds me too much of one of those sound presets of cheap keyboards... to be exact, it sounds much like the sound preset i have in my old cheap keyboard from the '90s. :aah: - and that reminds me of songs like this:

which are fun for an oktoberfest party when you're drunk, but not really what you'd call the high art of music. :naughty:

anyway, the origin of love has so many different parts, and i absolutely love all the other parts, and it looks so much fun when he does it live! :fangurl: i think my fave bit is this "ey-oh-ey-oh-ah!" he does once towards the end - i think for the live version he should do more with this bit, it'd be catchy and fun and easy to sing along. not that the "love, love, love,..." bit isn't catchy - imo tool is the catchiest song of all the new ones! - but this one ey-oh-bit just somehow makes me want to hear more of it. :teehee:

one song it reminds me a bit of is "honey honey" by abba... can't even say why, but my head keeps mixing this song into tool... :naughty: - but i love abba, so that's a plus really. :teehee:

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but I just read everything in this thread :aah:

I don't think even GK is an exception. It was "the" hit in the UK but not so in some other markets. Relax was bigger in Canada (and I think France) and Love Today was the song they really pushed in the US, etc.

GK was played a lot here as well, I remember it was on MTV 8746239 times a day, but Relax was THE hit. I still hear it on the radio sometimes, and pretty much everyone knows it even if they don't know who Mika is. While no one really knows GK.

The other song that was really played here was WAG.

About TOOL...my favourite new song. I absolutely love it, I have it on repeat since yesterday. I like that it's no electronic, it has this Mika vibe all over it. And I think it's amazing for concerts, really catchy and the "ey-oh-ey-oh-ah!" part gives me chills and it makes me want to scream and dance.

UW used to be my absolute favourite and I still love it, but I liked the Korea version way better, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet.

I have to say that after I've listened to the Tallinn version I like it a lot better!

i said that on the other thread... meanwhile i think it's because of the line "From the air I breathe to the love I need", because it has the same rhyme like in underwater "all i need is the love you breathe"... so it's more the lyrics that make it sound similar, than the music.

@Gatagordinha @Droopsy - oh, I see what you mean now.

It is that descending melody line that is not exactly the same but similar. I agree.

i said that on the other thread... meanwhile i think it's because of the line "From the air I breathe to the love I need", because it has the same rhyme like in underwater "all i need is the love you breathe"... so it's more the lyrics that make it sound similar, than the music.

yes, his vocabulary is becoming a bit predictable - I blame it on the... Mika (:naughty:)

PS is it '" 'Like stupid' or 'used to be' Adam and Eve " ?

I'd vote for the first as it goes well with God teaching them hate :rolls_eyes:

Edited by suzie

yes, his vocabulary is becoming a bit predictable - I blame it on the... Mika (:naughty:)

hey, but i never thought that BIOTW sounded like BIOTG, despite the similar lyrics! :lmfao:

It took me 2 minutes at 44seconds to realise he was topless under that blazer LOL.

I see his dance "skills" haven't changed LOL.

After listening to this video (haven't finished watching it yet) but I do like this song actually. Much better than the other two...but I kinda wish the production was a bit bigger, more energetic. I think the song is missing that extra oomph IMO.

Edited by CazGirl

It took me 2 minutes at 44seconds to realise he was topless under that blazer LOL..

:blink: You've grown up, Caz. :mf_rosetinted:

I see his dance "skills" haven't changed LOL. .

'old Mika' is back :yay:

After listening to this video (haven't finished watching it yet) but I do like this song actually. Much better than the other two...but I kinda wish the production was a bit bigger, more energetic. I think the song is missing that extra oomph IMO.

oh, I think it will be a large scale 'production' on the record. Wasn't it this the one he recorded at Abbey Road with a choir?