Ok, I must admit I didn’t find the time to re-watch it over the weekend, either, so I have just done it now. :teehee:

In summary, I find that the video is not in harmony with the lyrics and the music of the song and the technical aspect ( acting and eding) of it is rather weak as well.

In fact, it pretty much destroys the song to me, especially the beginning, in which the more ’universal’ feel to a beautiful song is overshadowed by some awkward pantomime. It’s not that I don’t like panto style videos. They are perfect to tell stories, so a similar approach would have been wonderful for Toy Boy, for example. In songs where there are feelings you want to show or evoke this melodramatic theatre just does not work, especially when combined with such amateur acting, I am sorry. :no:.

Whilst the song starts with movement and emotions: picturing a landslide and leaving the troubled world behind by sailing away on a ship, in the video you can see a non-moving, fake boat and someone posing. :blink: In the song the piano does a perfect job in evoking the waves when you listen but when you watch , all you can see is a chandelier on a boat and wave simulation as sophisticated as you’d expect from any high-school theatre performance... :doh:

The underwater part is quite ok and correstponds with the song more in a way that it lacks the fakeness of the first part, especially in colours and movements. However, I can’t see the clear contrast vs the first part and even the story with the mermaids attacking him and one of them taking away his love in the end looks a bit odd. I mean, he is free to come up with any story to have some mermaids dance in his video but to me the song’s meaning is that he escapes from the cruel outside world by submerging into the serene underwater with his lover, whilst in the video he falls into the sea accidentally only to find out that he can actually survive there with his life support bottle (i.e.lover). He even literally takes a long breath under the water to show he can breathe. :aah:

To me the video’s biggest fault is that it attaches a story to a song that is about emotions. In theatre it would be ok but not in a music video and not with these techniques. There are so many tools in cinematography that he could have used, helped by the right professionals.

As for this video being a good promotional tool I’m not sure, either. His curly hair is on display a lot – clearly an important factor for women in many diffrent age groups – but I can’t see its appeal to a mainstream adult audience, an appeal the song itself does have, in my opinion. So I view it as an opportunity missed in that respect and as far as I am concerned, I’d rather just listen to the song and imagine my own visuals to it.

I think this sums all our feelings...

This vid and the OOL one are the most awkward things he´s ever done :aah: At least, he appears in this one...:teehee:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I must admit I didn’t find the time to re-watch it over the weekend, either, so I have just done it now. :teehee:

In summary, I find that the video is not in harmony with the lyrics and the music of the song and the technical aspect ( acting and eding) of it is rather weak as well.

In fact, it pretty much destroys the song to me, especially the beginning, in which the more ’universal’ feel to a beautiful song is overshadowed by some awkward pantomime. It’s not that I don’t like panto style videos. They are perfect to tell stories, so a similar approach would have been wonderful for Toy Boy, for example. In songs where there are feelings you want to show or evoke this melodramatic theatre just does not work, especially when combined with such amateur acting, I am sorry. :no:.

Whilst the song starts with movement and emotions: picturing a landslide and leaving the troubled world behind by sailing away on a ship, in the video you can see a non-moving, fake boat and someone posing. :blink: In the song the piano does a perfect job in evoking the waves when you listen but when you watch , all you can see is a chandelier on a boat and wave simulation as sophisticated as you’d expect from any high-school theatre performance... :doh:

The underwater part is quite ok and correstponds with the song more in a way that it lacks the fakeness of the first part, especially in colours and movements. However, I can’t see the clear contrast vs the first part and even the story with the mermaids attacking him and one of them taking away his love in the end looks a bit odd. I mean, he is free to come up with any story to have some mermaids dance in his video but to me the song’s meaning is that he escapes from the cruel outside world by submerging into the serene underwater with his lover, whilst in the video he falls into the sea accidentally only to find out that he can actually survive there with his life support bottle (i.e.lover). He even literally takes a long breath under the water to show he can breathe. :aah:

To me the video’s biggest fault is that it attaches a story to a song that is about emotions. In theatre it would be ok but not in a music video and not with these techniques. There are so many tools in cinematography that he could have used, helped by the right professionals.

As for this video being a good promotional tool I’m not sure, either. His curly hair is on display a lot – clearly an important factor for women in many diffrent age groups – but I can’t see its appeal to a mainstream adult audience, an appeal the song itself does have, in my opinion. So I view it as an opportunity missed in that respect and as far as I am concerned, I’d rather just listen to the song and imagine my own visuals to it.

Can't agree more :thumb_yello: I even gave up on watching the video.But now,every time I'm listening to the song,my brain show me the boat scene :aah:

Well,I'm hoping for a better one next time,maybe for The Origin Of Love.

:hi5: I mark today as 'agreement day'. :mf_rosetinted: It must be because Xmas is approaching... :roftl:

:lmfao: And Mika needed to do this vid to make us agree.... :mf_rosetinted: We should have talked to him, maybe such a hard work wasn´t necessary... we could have reached an agreement without it.

Can't agree more :thumb_yello: I even gave up on watching the video.But now,every time I'm listening to the song,my brain show me the boat scene :aah:

Well,I'm hoping for a better one next time,maybe for The Origin Of Love.

You won´t believe it, but at the gig, we also thought of making something when he sang Underwater. We wanted to make that scene he does while grabbing the rope, as if he was falling, with his hand on his forehead, very dramatic :mf_rosetinted:... so we wanted to do it, but holding the barrier instead of a rope :mf_rosetinted:

But since he was ill, we rejected the idea :aah:

:lmfao: And Mika needed to do this vid to make us agree.... :mf_rosetinted: We should have talked to him, maybe such a hard work wasn´t necessary... we could have reached an agreement without it.

You won´t believe it, but at the gig, we also thought of making something when he sang Underwater. We wanted to make that scene he does while grabbing the rope, as if he was falling, with his hand on his forehead, very dramatic :mf_rosetinted:... so we wanted to do it, but holding the barrier instead of a rope :mf_rosetinted:

But since he was ill, we rejected the idea :aah:

Then he was so lucky being ill :naughty:

:mf_rosetinted:

I remember myself being in that phase....

... ages ago :aah:

You know even back in the days when I thought Mika was so perfect I could stare at his pretty face all day long I still couldn't abide his less than stellar videos. :naughty:

I can listen to a great vocalist sing just about anything and really enjoy it but bad visuals are so distracting from the music. I guess you can say that it's all subjective and it's not my place to determine what is good or bad visual art but one thing is for certain. While I think my taste and Mika's in all things audio is matching at around 80%, our visual tastes are more along the lines of 20%.

You know even back in the days when I thought Mika was so perfect I could stare at his pretty face all day long I still couldn't abide his less than stellar videos. :naughty:

I can listen to a great vocalist sing just about anything and really enjoy it but bad visuals are so distracting from the music. I guess you can say that it's all subjective and it's not my place to determine what is good or bad visual art but one thing is for certain. While I think my taste and Mika's in all things audio is matching at around 80%, our visual tastes are more along the lines of 20%.

In my case our visual tastes are more along the lines of 0%. I can´t stand his artwork :mf_rosetinted:

About this vid... of course there are people who like it, and it´s up to anyone. But if we made a poll I think this vid wouldn´t be in the top. Art is art, and someone can see art where others just see an overacting Mika :aah:

All I got from this vid was a good laugh. And I´m not laughing at Mika, never. I think he´s directed and he was just following the director´s orders. And maybe with a different editing, it could have end up being a great vid, cause he looks really nice!

I think Mika is more professional than what that vid shows.

In my case our visual tastes are more along the lines of 0%. I can´t stand his artwork :mf_rosetinted:

I'm talking about shared tastes and not just Mika's own artwork. Like I can appreciate Jim Woodring's and Sophie Blackhall's work even if I'm not crazy about Mika's drawings. And for the most part I really like Mika's personal fashion sense.

I get the artistry in the video, but that's because I am used to Mika's ideas and tastes. But I don't know that random people are going to think its any good.

The first bit reminds me of a school play, where two children are waving strips of cloth, for the sea and the child actors are struggling with the boat that isn't really moving.

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of people will see it.

I think with a pop vid, its best not to get too artsy about it, because what people want from a pop vid these days is just something simple to sell the song, and if it is going to be a Special Effects video, its best to have proper computer generated images right through, rather than a half&half effort.

I get the artistry in the video, but that's because I am used to Mika's ideas and tastes. But I don't know that random people are going to think its any good.

If random people don't get the artistry then it's not good art as far as I'm concerned. You shouldn't have to be inside the artist's head or listen to them explain it in great detail to appreciate it if it's truly brilliant.

If random people don't get the artistry then it's not good art as far as I'm concerned. You shouldn't have to be inside the artist's head or listen to them explain it in great detail to appreciate it if it's truly brilliant.

I've always felt the exact opposite. If it's brilliant, then inevitably there will be people who don't get it.

I've always felt the exact opposite. If it's brilliant, then inevitably there will be people who don't get it.

I don't mean everyone has to get it. But if it has to be explained for anyone to understand it then how effective is one in expressing their ideas in art form?

I understand it and I think it's beautiful.

I understand it too. Because Mika has been explaining the concept behind the song for months and he's explained his reasoning behind having handmade things (like the waves) for years.

I think parts of it are beautiful and parts of it are laughable. But that's another story :naughty:

The film director : Alex Southam uploads the video on VIMEO by himself https://vimeo.com/oofvideo/videos .

https://vimeo.com/54515531

376984911_295.jpg

Director: Alex Southam

Producer (UK): Amber Millington

Producer (US): Sloane Skala

DP: Patrick Scola

Art Director: Ethan Feldbau

Dancer Stylists: Candice Brittain & Michael Comrie

Hair/Make-Up: Maxi

Editor: Dan Sherwen @ Final Cut

Post Producer: Luis Martin @ The Mill

Matte Painter: Can Y. Sanalan @ The Mill

Flame Artist: Chris Scott @ The Mill

Animator: David Horsburgh @ Agile Films

Colourist: Aubrey Woodiwiss @ The Mill

Director's Rep: OB Management

Commissioner: Ailsa Robertson

I don't mean everyone has to get it. But if it has to be explained for anyone to understand it then how effective is one in expressing their ideas in art form?

I think it`s impossible to combine pop music and art perfectly, to express a visual side of pop music by means of arts. This combination will never become a perfect "alloy". Pop music & show business are usually the synonyms for "fast", "quickly" , "commercial". Things must be done fast there in order to hit charts and increase sales. Art is never fast, never mass....

UW is so perfect as a song that, imho, it needs no art form for the video.

I think it`s impossible to combine pop music and art perfectly, to express a visual side of pop music by means of arts.

I don't think it is impossible. It also depends on what you call 'art'. Pop art can be a perfect medium to transfer meaning in pop music, for example and is widely used as well. Fine art may not be used that often.

As far as I can see, the main 'gap' in the video is that this particular theatrical performance at the beginning does not work for that song and especially not for a music video. Maybe with different techniques and for another song or another singer / actor it would have. Kate Bush has that well-choreographed, brilliant video for Running Up That Hill, for example. I doubt anyone finds that one laughable.

I think it`s impossible to combine pop music and art perfectly, to express a visual side of pop music by means of arts. This combination will never become a perfect "alloy". Pop music & show business are usually the synonyms for "fast", "quickly" , "commercial". Things must be done fast there in order to hit charts and increase sales. Art is never fast, never mass....

I wouldn't say it's impossible. But Mika said right from the beginning that he was trying to remake an old Levi's commercial so is this even an attempt to produce "art"? Obviously there is a lot of craft involved producing a film with sets and costumes, etc. The effect can even be beautiful. But does that make it art?

UW is so perfect as a song that, imho, it needs no art form for the video.

I agree. I think the purpose of a music video should be to showcase the song. The song shouldn't be used as a soundtrack to a piece of film.

I wouldn't say it's impossible. But Mika said right from the beginning that he was trying to remake an old Levi's commercial so is this even an attempt to produce "art"? Obviously there is a lot of craft involved producing a film with sets and costumes, etc. The effect can even be beautiful. But does that make it art?

I agree. I think the purpose of a music video should be to showcase the song. The song shouldn't be used as a soundtrack to a piece of film.

I think if the UK had been more into Mika all of this time, they'd realise that art is vitally important to him and would get the video better. As I said before, I get what he's about but I've been around all things Mika since 2007. I've seen how he's evolved, but still obsessed with the art of a thing.

My hope is that people who haven't been around for a long while will get what he's doing, but I think it would have been better if the boat had been in something that, at least, looked like water. I think people would be okay with it. I don't think the product placement, or the fact that his acting is a bit forced, would matter, if the scene looked more real. The problem is, if the scene looks fake, then viewers will be concentrating on the fake scene, and not on listening to the song! Its the song that is of vital importance, aned the video should enhance the song, not distract people from it.

The Uw scenes are great though. I actually think Mika was right to not kiss a merman or something like that. It was more unexpected that the ball of light was representing his lover.

I think that music and pop art can be perfectly transported to images, in my concept one of the best videos ever made that expresses the "marriage" of art video and pop music, in my oppinion :wink2:

[YOUTUBE]GQ95z6ywcBY[/YOUTUBE]

hm, not sure what i think of this video. i find it beautiful and disturbing at the same time, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was mika's intention. :naughty: what bothers me most is that it's on a fine line between artistic and trashy/cheap and unfortunately because of 2 little details the cheap part is taking over. :sad: first and foremost, like robi mentioned, the wrong words that mika sings. i hadn't noticed the "bursting" first, as i concentrated on other things in this image, but the "your" where the lyrics say "my" is just too obvious! :aah: the second thing that looks really cheap imo is the "franklin marshall" product placement at 00:43 - seriously, WTF?! :sneaky2:

but besides that, i also think the fabric being used as water is on purpose, to make it look "hand made", and the whole image of the boat, the fabric water and the painted sky look really artistic. it might just have been the cutting that ruined the video, but then i wonder, didn't mika see and have to give his ok to the final version before it got published? :dunno:

the other thing that personally disturbs me (but this probably doesn't hurt the public's view of the video, unlike the other things i mentioned) is that mika drowns in the end of the video - and they don't just steal his bag of light but also his jacket, wtf?! :sneaky2::naughty: nah really, it's a ballad, ok, but it's a love song with rather happy lyrics, compared to others of mika's songs, so why does the video have to turn that around and have such a sad ending?! :sneaky2: it's like the movie "the storm", i really really hate this movie because you watch for hours how they fight and fight and you hope at least some of them will make it, and then they all die. :aah:

so well, i definitely like the celebrate video more than this one, but it does have some beautiful scenes. and it's different, not what you normally see in music videos, so if that makes people have a closer look and then maybe decide they like the song, then it does what it's supposed to do.[/Q

Underwater is one of my favorite Mika's songs , but even though it is very conforting to me, it has an inner sadness , in my opinion Mika had Paloma and her accident in mind when he composed it and it's a song about love, life and death as she was very near to it. So the video makes sense to me. It reminds me of Happy Ending video which is also about a tragic lost love and in that case Mika flies in the sky instead of falling into the sea , they are both beautiful and sad , but at the same time they fill your heart with hope because they are so beautiful that they rock your sorrow away like lullubies.

I'm also happy that Mika is filmed a lot in this video and I like the way the movie is shot and the universe of it, I missed him so much in Elle Me Dit video and in The Origin Of Love video. I still hope there will be another TOOL video because the movie doesn't fit at all with the song as I see it, but in Underwater case I think the video fits perfectly the song :wub2: and I love both :wub2: On a personal level the video was released two days after my dad left this word and I see a living soul in the light so it moves me a lot. The song itself was aired for the very first time on Virgin Radio in France and I heard it in the car while we were going to hospital as we had been called . My husband didn't change the radio station because he doesn't know Underwater yet. "All is need is the love you breathe" reminds me of my father, I had the song in my head when we were with him in hospital. When I had a part of my pinky cut off accidently and my kids were saying to me no matter what happens you will always have Mika that was true, I listened tp Dr John all the time I was being operated and it helped me so much. And now Mika is helping me with Underwater too , I'm so glad and grateful for that :wub2: That video will always remind me of my wonderful dad now :wub2:

hm, not sure what i think of this video. i find it beautiful and disturbing at the same time, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was mika's intention. :naughty: what bothers me most is that it's on a fine line between artistic and trashy/cheap and unfortunately because of 2 little details the cheap part is taking over. :sad: first and foremost, like robi mentioned, the wrong words that mika sings. i hadn't noticed the "bursting" first, as i concentrated on other things in this image, but the "your" where the lyrics say "my" is just too obvious! :aah: the second thing that looks really cheap imo is the "franklin marshall" product placement at 00:43 - seriously, WTF?! :sneaky2:

but besides that, i also think the fabric being used as water is on purpose, to make it look "hand made", and the whole image of the boat, the fabric water and the painted sky look really artistic. it might just have been the cutting that ruined the video, but then i wonder, didn't mika see and have to give his ok to the final version before it got published? :dunno:

the other thing that personally disturbs me (but this probably doesn't hurt the public's view of the video, unlike the other things i mentioned) is that mika drowns in the end of the video - and they don't just steal his bag of light but also his jacket, wtf?! :sneaky2::naughty: nah really, it's a ballad, ok, but it's a love song with rather happy lyrics, compared to others of mika's songs, so why does the video have to turn that around and have such a sad ending?! :sneaky2: it's like the movie "the storm", i really really hate this movie because you watch for hours how they fight and fight and you hope at least some of them will make it, and then they all die. :aah:

so well, i definitely like the celebrate video more than this one, but it does have some beautiful scenes. and it's different, not what you normally see in music videos, so if that makes people have a closer look and then maybe decide they like the song, then it does what it's supposed to do.[/Q

Underwater is one of my favorite Mika's songs , but even though it is very conforting to me, it has an inner sadness , in my opinion Mika had Paloma and her accident in mind when he composed it and it's a song about love, life and death as she was very near to it. So the video makes sense to me. It reminds me of Happy Ending video which is also about a tragic lost love and in that case Mika flies in the sky instead of falling into the sea , they are both beautiful and sad , but at the same time they fill your heart with hope because they are so beautiful that they rock your sorrow away like lullubies.

I'm also happy that Mika is filmed a lot in this video and I like the way the movie is shot and the universe of it, I missed him so much in Elle Me Dit video and in The Origin Of Love video. I still hope there will be another TOOL video because the movie doesn't fit at all with the song as I see it, but in Underwater case I think the video fits perfectly the song :wub2: and I love both :wub2: On a personal level the video was released two days after my dad left this word and I see a living soul in the light so it moves me a lot. The song itself was aired for the very first time on Virgin Radio in France and I heard it in the car while we were going to hospital as we had been called . My husband didn't change the radio station because he doesn't know Underwater yet. "All is need is the love you breathe" reminds me of my father, I had the song in my head when we were with him in hospital. When I had a part of my pinky cut off accidently and my kids were saying to me no matter what happens you will always have Mika that was true, I listened tp Dr John all the time I was being operated and it helped me so much. And now Mika is helping me with Underwater too , I'm so glad and grateful for that :wub2:That video will always remind me of my wonderful dad now :wub2:

Sorry to hear about your loss:huglove:

For me, the song I associate with my dad, is Blue eyes... I was dumbstruck when I heard it the first time, because it related so much of what my father went through and he had the most beautiful blue eyes:blush-anim-cl:

Sorry to hear about your loss:huglove:

For me, the song I associate with my dad, is Blue eyes... I was dumbstruck when I heard it the first time, because it related so much of what my father went through and he had the most beautiful blue eyes:blush-anim-cl:

Thank you sweetheart :huglove:

:hug: to you too :wub2:

My daughter studies in an English college in Spain. So, today she said that their teacher (who usually reads lessons with music) was showing them several times Underwater video!!!! Just while classes! I was totally stunned :kachinga:

BTW my daughter and my husband are totally crazy about this vid.