I'd quoted a bunch of people and written a response last night but I think I failed to hit the actual submit button as my reply is not there.:sneaky2:

I watched this last night. I've not been game to watch it again at this point. It did very little for me. I do like all the different interpretations people have been putting up on here though and maybe that will make me watch it through different eyes when I do see it again.

I didn't notice the bad lip synching (I'll put that down to me being in shock as I watched) and I have no idea what this product placement is that you're all talking about. Someone has mentioned the company by name but I've never heard of them so nothing would have registered with me. It's not like he held up a can of baked beans and gestured to the label or something. THAT would have gotten my attention!

I agree with what a lot of people have said so far re the fabric sea (:thumbdown:), the size of the boat (:thumbdown:), the bad acting (:thumbdown:), and the fact that that second part in the boat through the storm went on too long (:thumbdown:).

I'm also not that enamoured of the part underwater. It's too murky for me to see it well. I realise it's underwater, hence it's meant to look murky, and I know I just got glasses, but I'm really starting to feel my age here and feel like I'm some complaining old granny. :old:

Having said all that... there are some parts of it that I really like. I love the glowing bag. How weird is that? :aah: But I really love how it looks. Maybe I'm just a magpie too, attracted by all the shiny. And I actually loved the candlesticks on the boat. Not only do I want that candelabrum, but, along with the other weird odds and ends of detritus in the boat, it really does feel like he just grabbed what he could manage to salvage before he had to make a run for it (thanks to DCDeb for this idea).

That's not all that I liked, but I can't remember the other bits atm. My headcold makes my brain feel like it's trying to think through jello. Sluggish!

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And here are my two cents:

Cent #1: Maybe some random people might NOT like the video, find it ridiculous, overdone and bad. But that hasn't to be a bad thing. Isn't one task of music videos to be like an advert? Good adverts can be of very low quality, the best ones just stay in your head. Could be because they're brilliant and you love them but it could be because they're that bad. When you wake up the next morning and think "God, this advert yesterday was so horrible!" the responsibles can open a bottle of champaign because that was there goal. I'm not saying that this video is horrible but if some random people think it is and thereby remember Underwater (or Mika :aah:) I don't complain.

Cent #2: I lovelovelove MFC for all the interpretations. It's like always: Mika gives us 3 minutes something of material and we can discuss it to pieces and for hours or days. I haven't read the whole thread but I loved the few new ideas I've seen. Because when *I* watched the video all I could think was "erm... what?!" (couldn't even unerstand anything of a story because there was so much going on) and then I came here, read your thoughts and now I want to watch the video again. To spot the little mistakes and basically to focus on the story. I want to see the romantic approach there. And I will! Pity, it's blocked in Germany already again. :aah:

Maybe she's right, we are BAD fans. :crybaby: But it doesn't matter, bad fan is better than nothing. :mf_rosetinted:

No we aren't bad fans , she's a bad fan for calling others bad fans who love Mika. We are all equally the same, we love Mika with all our hearts so it makes us great fans who love Mika from the bottom of our hearts :sneaky2:

Does the fact it is on wiewing necessarily implies it will be released? Can't anybody tell him not to release it? Does he often read this forum? Oh please Mika, have a second thought!

I really hope not. Still praying for lywid :pray:

Someone, perhaps Marilyn, wrote about the theatrical side of the first part and that’s what I saw there. In the first part he is in a theater with the artificial water, painted sky, overacting like in a drama. I think that that’s the way they wanted it to be. Then once in water, it’s more realistic (the way it is filmed I mean, not the mermaids :)) because he is focused on his love, he isn’t acting any more. First, the first part really annoyed me, because of the too theatrical acting and the tiny boat that didn’t even move when the see was agitated, but now I like it a lot, because I feel like having understood the whole thing. But that’s only my point of view... :fisch:

Someone, perhaps Marilyn, wrote about the theatrical side of the first part and that’s what I saw there. In the first part he is in a theater with the artificial water, painted sky, overacting like in a drama. I think that that’s the way they wanted it to be. Then once in water, it’s more realistic (the way it is filmed I mean, not the mermaids :)) because he is focused on his love, he isn’t acting any more. First, the first part really annoyed me, because of the too theatrical acting and the tiny boat that didn’t even move when the see was agitated, but now I like it a lot, because I feel like having understood the whole thing. But that’s only my point of view... :fisch:

That's how I see it too after watching it a few times. There must be a reason for his over-acting and theatrical gestures, and the atmosphere is totally different in the second part. It fits the story.

No we aren't bad fans , she's a bad fan for calling others bad fans who love Mika. We are all equally the same, we love Mika with all our hearts so it makes us great fans who love Mika from the bottom of our hearts :sneaky2:

Who the heck are ya calling bad fan? Me???

Me who spent the whole night watering my fresh products so i could deliver it fresh and nahce to Mika this afternoon???:sneaky2:

:mf_rosetinted:

:tears: You're not nice with me wonka :tears: Please don't ban me mods, I swear it looks all real. :crybaby:

I couldn't focus on the story because I was laughing so much about Mika's making up with the boat. :mf_rosetinted:

:shocked:

:lmfao:

underwaterm.jpg

underwatero.jpg

Why does he look so vengeful and angry after looking at the bag of light/love?

I'll dramatize the concept and think that he's on a quest on his little boat to take revenge on the people who took his lover's life :naughty: Except he rocks his boat too hard and falls overboard lol

Nah...

True story is the bag has his dirty laundry (ok dirty grey underwear)and then he finally realises MommaP forgot to wash it for the day after...that's what that face is all about!:mf_rosetinted:

Who the heck are ya calling bad fan? Me???

Me who spent the whole night watering my fresh products so i could deliver it fresh and nahce to Mika this afternoon???:sneaky2:

:mf_rosetinted:

:shocked:

Nah...

True story is the bag has his dirty laundry (ok dirty grey underwear)and then he finally realises MommaP forgot to wash it for the day after...that's what that face is all about!:mf_rosetinted:

Underwear Underwear

where is my Underwear

can you tell me where is my, where is my Underwear :roll1:

:sorry:

:naughty: so the underwear isn't peaceful anymore now? :lmfao:

i showed the UW video to my fiancé yesterday, and he liked it. :thumb_yello: he commented a few times during the video though, first was "i thought it was UNDERwater?!" (me: "just wait..."), second was when mika started breathing underwater "yeah, sure! shouldn't he be drowning?!" (:sneaky2:) - and then i told him about the bag of light representing the love (he never listens to lyrics unless you tell him what the song's about :aah:) - and then in the end he said he liked it... and he meant that, because you can bet that if he had found it ridiculous, he would've joked about it. :naughty: but then, maybe he was just happy that mika *did* drown in the end, like he had predicted. :lmfao:

and here's a positive review that i found on the web, dunno if it has been posted yet? i guess they're fans of mika. :teehee:http://popbytes.com/mika_underwater_music_video/

Edited by mellody

I haven't even read yet what Christine has to say about the special effects, but my guess is I wholeheartedly agree with her :lmfao:

As a positive note though, I must say that this is the first video where I find his acting actually ok. And of course the song is still beautiful :mf_rosetinted:

I like this vid. :thumb_yello: Especially I love his hair underwater.. how they float. :wub2:

totally agee... :teehee: the moment when they float into his face underwater is just :fangurl:! :naughty: his hair looks so fluffy even underwater! :swoon:

totally agee... :teehee: the moment when they float into his face underwater is just :fangurl:! :naughty:his hair looks so fluffy even underwater! :swoon:

Lol! These words are so totally "mellody" :naughty::huglove: I really like the under water part too, it looks good.

totally agee... :teehee: the moment when they float into his face underwater is just :fangurl:! :naughty: his hair looks so fluffy even underwater! :swoon:

Aaa :wub2:

My mother has watched the vid with my brother and they didn't like the 1st part ("confusing, what is he doing with these curtains waving around ?") but really liked the second one. They're not fans so they're quite neutral...

It doesn't reassure me :fisch:

Although the video is growing on me :teehee:

"confusing, what is he doing with these curtains waving around ?"

"It's like he's sailing on curtains. It's just weird." :D I can totally imagine their train of thought.

I love the vid. It's hilarious (like, why would he choose a blanket for an ocean, and especially if the second part is situated in REAL water?), but yet serious at the same time. There's a storm, and it's so bad he falls into the water and he drowns and stuff :-(

It got me staring at my screen. And then in awe.

:wub2: