Tour Rumours - 2013!

dcdeb

Aren't promoters more or less hired rather than the "backer"? :dunno:

I think that must be the case for most of this North American tour because as far as I know the only promoter for many of these shows are Live Nation/Ticketmaster. They send out a couple of emails to their millions of members and the shows are sold out in 5 minutes. I was getting all kinds of notices before the Toronto show from them and a Live Nation presale was arranged. But now the tickets are gone and they don't even have to include him on their list of upcoming events. Their job is done.

I guess there are far more complicated arrangements than that with multiple sponsors/promoters for a large arena tour and honestly I don't know how these things work. But I would have thought Mika is incurring more of the financial risks than the promoters.

As far as I know are the " promoters " in Europe the ones who organize the tours, rent the venues pay for everything and have to take the risk when the tour doesn´t sell. The promoters have to invite the artists to tour in their countries. We have a few of them in Germany. That´s the reason why we shouldn´t spam Mika with our wishes him to come to...... we all should spam the promoters of our countries!

What Sabine said. Not sure how it works in the US, but most tours here are promoted and organised by a company called Mojo. I've been told the record company has nothing to do with it and that a tour is only possible if there is one of these companies backing it. Unless the artist pays for it him/herself, as M did with the 2009 acoustic tour.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know are the " promoters " in Europe the ones who organize the tours, rent the venues pay for everything and have to take the risk when the tour doesn´t sell. The promoters have to invite the artists to tour in their countries. We have a few of them in Germany. That´s the reason why we shouldn´t spam Mika with our wishes him to come to...... we all should spam the promoters of our countries!

Maybe you need a massive monopoly on these things like we have here :naughty: I suspect the reason that Philadelphia is not sold out yet is because it's not a Live Nation show, rather than the fact that he is more popular in Toronto or DC than Philadelphia.

I think spamming Mika and his FB probably helps too. :naughty: I can't believe it's an "invite only" situation. Maybe he can't tour somewhere without promotional backing but I'm sure he's got booking agents, etc. making inquiries rather than just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

I am amazed though that some promoters contact us looking for information on how to book Mika. Sounds like they have no idea what they're doing. :doh:

Maybe you need a massive monopoly on these things like we have here :naughty: I suspect the reason that Philadelphia is not sold out yet is because it's not a Live Nation show, rather than the fact that he is more popular in Toronto or DC than Philadelphia.

I think spamming Mika and his FB probably helps too. :naughty: I can't believe it's an "invite only" situation. Maybe he can't tour somewhere without promotional backing but I'm sure he's got booking agents, etc. making inquiries rather than just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

I am amazed though that some promoters contact us looking for information on how to book Mika. Sounds like they have no idea what they're doing. :doh:

Oh yeah over at the Katy forum we also get emails asking how to book Katy or if she could do a free gig for so and so cause the family's dog died.

What Sabine said. Not sure how it works in the US, but most tours here are promoted and organised by a company called Mojo. I've been told the record company has nothing to do with it and that a tour is only possible if there is one of these companies backing it. Unless the artist pays for it him/herself, as M did with the 2009 acoustic tour.

But smaller artists than Mika are touring all the time. So isn't it just a question of how small of a scale the artist is willing to tour on? Like if Madonna could only sell 1000 tickets to a gig would that mean that no one is willing to be Madonna's promoter? Or does it mean that Madonna can't be arsed to go here or there because she can't make enough money off of 1000 tickets to bother?

Live Nation (and others) are the promoters for these NA shows with only 550 tickets in some venues. Would Mika really not sell 550 tickets in Germany? I find that hard to believe. Someone is promoting these small scale tours. But does Mika want to do them...?

Oh yeah over at the Katy forum we also get emails asking how to book Katy or if she could do a free gig for so and so cause the family's dog died.

Oh yeah the dog died. That is a whole other story. :lmfao:

Liederberg, who is responsible for Mika´s tours in Germany is the biggest promoter agency in Germany and they know exactly what they do and how to do it, most of all tours in Germany are done by them and as long as they don´t see the money streaming they won´t plan any new tour for Mika in Germany after only one sold out show ( out of two ) last November. Maybe Mika will come and do the one or the other acustic gig on his own risk but for a proper tour we have to show Liederberg our interest. :wink2:

Liederberg, who is responsible for Mika´s tours in Germany is the biggest promoter agency in Germany and they know exactly what they do and how to do it, most of all tours in Germany are done by them and as long as they don´t see the money streaming they won´t plan any new tour for Mika in Germany after only one sold out show ( out of two ) last November. Maybe Mika will come and do the one or the other acustic gig on his own risk but for a proper tour we have to show Liederberg our interest. :wink2:

In Korea, major promotors host foreign artist's show.. and I bet Mika gig in Seoul is guaranteed hit one for all the promotors who compete each other. At least in Korea, Mika sells out more tickets and albums than any other billboard top placed stars. But the problem is.... Mika's not visiting us ... :( think he still does not know how well known popstar he is here...

But smaller artists than Mika are touring all the time. So isn't it just a question of how small of a scale the artist is willing to tour on? Like if Madonna could only sell 1000 tickets to a gig would that mean that no one is willing to be Madonna's promoter? Or does it mean that Madonna can't be arsed to go here or there because she can't make enough money off of 1000 tickets to bother?

Live Nation (and others) are the promoters for these NA shows with only 550 tickets in some venues. Would Mika really not sell 550 tickets in Germany? I find that hard to believe. Someone is promoting these small scale tours. But does Mika want to do them...?

I´m sure with the right promotion Mika would sell enough tickets. Cologne was sold out but Munich only 75%

In Korea, major promotors host foreign artist's show.. and I bet Mika gig in Seoul is guaranteed hit one for all the promotors who compete each other. At least in Korea, Mika sells out more tickets and albums than any other billboard top placed stars. But the problem is.... Mika's not visiting us ... :( think he still does not know how well known popstar he is here...

Isn't that venue he usually plays in Korea rather small? Or is that the norm for popular foreign artists and they can't fill big arenas?

I´m sure with the right promotion Mika would sell enough tickets. Cologne was sold out but Munich only 75%

But how big were those venues? I just got an email from Live Nation for an artist who is playing a venue that only sells 250 tickets. As long as the popularity of the artist can meet the capacity of the venue someone is going to promote it and make money off it. It's only a loss if they book a huge venue and don't sell enough tickets.

I can't believe there's anywhere Mika can't sell 250 tickets but I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want to tour some places for that.

Tours are usually backed by promoters, and the lack of promoters backing him is the reason why there is no massive tour. Or at least that's what I think.

I think you're right! I can only speak for my own country - but in Norway only keen fans, who follow MIKA here or at Mikasounds, can know about TOOL!! :shocked: That's the brutal fact I'm afraid - cause there was zero promotion!! No TV promotion, no reviews In mags or newspapers - NOTHING :sneaky2: Only "Celebrate" had radioplay some few times - and that was it! I almost lost my nightsleep!! - such a great album, and people don't know about it!? It's crazy - LICM was no.1 here for weeks - he was a megastar, and the most played artist at one of the biggest radiost. troughout 2007. Then the 2nd alb. had poor promotion, and the 3rd nothing. How can we then expect to be added to his tourlist!? MIKA should get rid of the people working so bad with this part of his carriere, and take command himself :wub2:

I also get pre info from Live Nation, cause I want it. The last big artist annonced by them is Bon Jovi at Valle Hovin, this arena takes 30.000 people - he'll be back in May :fisch:

Love,love

me

think he still does not know how well known popstar he is here...

I remember an interview back in 2009 when he said South Korea is, with Belgium, the country where he is the most successful, proportionally between the number of inhabitants and the number of albums/tickets sold. And with the amazing gigs he gave there I'm sure he knows how much Korea loves him :wink2:

BTW when he signed the lollipop you gave me, he exclaimed 'that's from South Korea!', I think if I was Korean he would have talked to me a bit more :teehee: Just like with you in Vienne and with Jieun in Paris; he loves you I'm telling you :biggrin2:

Isn't that venue he usually plays in Korea rather small? Or is that the norm for popular foreign artists and they can't fill big arenas?

The Olympic hall is about 6,000 ppl around venue and he can easily sell out that... only Maroon 5, Muse, Lady Gaga, Jason mraz and few others can fill bigger venue - 13,000 the olympic gymnastic arena. This time he's gonna play as headliner in olympic gymnastic stadium as well.. it's a festival but it means something.

I remember an interview back in 2009 when he said South Korea is, with Belgium, the country where he is the most successful, proportionally between the number of inhabitants and the number of albums/tickets sold. And with the amazing gigs he gave there I'm sure he knows how much Korea loves him :wink2:

BTW when he signed the lollipop you gave me, he exclaimed 'that's from South Korea!', I think if I was Korean he would have talked to me a bit more :teehee: Just like with you in Vienne and with Jieun in Paris; he loves you I'm telling you :biggrin2:

Thank you so much for your sweet words... I just felt gutted and a bit surprised, because there's no local promotional activities just after TOOL's releasing... while Europe and US is partying - at least Mika try to party and give attention and cheers there.. but we had nothing and felt so isolated. I can see the chart goes well, even better than any other popstars.. but no attention or collaborated promotional work with Universal Music from Mika.. felt so ignored you know... :naughty:

The Olympic hall is about 6,000 ppl around venue and he can easily sell out that... only Maroon 5, Muse, Lady Gaga, Jason mraz and few others can fill bigger venue - 13,000 the olympic gymnastic arena. This time he's gonna play as headliner in olympic gymnastic stadium as well.. it's a festival but it means something.

Oh that's good news. Maybe he'll be back to do his own show soon.

but no attention or collaborated promotional work with Universal Music from Mika.. felt so ignored you know... :naughty:

I don't know if there's any promotional work or Universal backing in the US either. At least not in October. I think that's why he was so chuffed that it was sold out. :naughty:

Or at least with a little tiny promotion! I was so confused last November when I arrived in Vienna one day before the concert,and didn't see any kind of advertising for him,nowhere,not even a poster on the venue's door :blink: On the gig's day,we have no idea where we were suppose to queue.And the same situation in Zurich,I had to ask Mika's truck driver where's the entrance,there was no clue,nothing.No wonder why the tickets wasn't sold out,how come random people were supposed to know about his concert? :dunno: I really think something is wrong regarding his promotion,and I have no idea who was to blame :huh:

Oh that's good news. Maybe he'll be back to do his own show soon.

I don't know if there's any promotional work or Universal backing in the US either. At least not in October. I think that's why he was so chuffed that it was sold out. :naughty:

there's not much Universal backing promotion in US, but he did as much as he can do in US this time... put more effort than TBWKTM I think... Maybe Universal Music US doesn't pay enough attention to him cuz too many artists to care...

But in Korea it's different.. if Mika asked something Universal Music Korea could have helped him.. they admit Mika is main artist of their label... donno how it works but in Korea Mika sells more album than Bieber or Kesha, but far less promotional work than them. I thought it's really weird.. :( I think that's the reason why Mika's songs have been much more famous than his name 'Mika' since debut.

Ppl know the songs and love it, cuz they listen them hundreds of times before from radio or TV, but don't know who sing it. It's the image of 'MIKA' in Korea.... still....

Edited by Yuna

Or at least with a little tiny promotion! I was so confused last November when I arrived in Vienna one day before the concert,and didn't see any kind of advertising for him,nowhere,not even a poster on the venue's door :blink: On the gig's day,we have no idea where we were suppose to queue.And the same situation in Zurich,I had to ask Mika's truck driver where's the entrance,there was no clue,nothing.No wonder why the tickets wasn't sold out,how come random people were supposed to know about his concert? :dunno: I really think something is wrong regarding his promotion,and I have no idea who was to blame :huh:

I was wondering the same thing in several cities. Not even a poster on the venue door, nothing. And so many people missed the releasing of TOOL. It's a shame, it's such a good album!

I was wondering the same thing in several cities. Not even a poster on the venue door, nothing. And so many people missed the releasing of TOOL. It's a shame, it's such a good album!

If they have done some promotion all over the media,and the album would have proved to be a flop,it would have been understandable,but IMO they gave up on Mika's music before giving it a chance,and this is sad.

I have no clue. Just sharing what I know. I do know artists like Amanda Palmer use kickstarter to get funding for albums and tours.

there's not much Universal backing promotion in US, but he did as much as he can do in US this time... put more effort than TBWKTM I think... Maybe Universal Music US doesn't pay enough attention to him cuz too many artists to care...

No there was a much bigger push in the US when TBWKTM was launching than for TOOL. He was playing much bigger venues and doing a lot more TV.

I guess he's getting a second shot now with TOOL. Maybe because of Ariana? :dunno:

I have no clue. Just sharing what I know. I do know artists like Amanda Palmer use kickstarter to get funding for albums and tours.

Yes I don't know either tbh which is why I wanted to discuss it :naughty:

I used to work for Canada's biggest booking agency but mostly dealt with my boss's side business of procuring songs for movies/television and his artist management. And I'm sure like all other aspects of the music industry over the past 20 years, everything is different now anyway.

I could ask again. Rather curious now.

Okay please report back. :naughty:

I would think it's a combination of things and if Mika wanted to do a small venue tour he would have no trouble getting a promoter. But maybe he is not getting the kind of promotional backing he needs in certain countries to play big enough venues that would make it worth his while to go there.

The thing with the US (and I suspect that this is why they are always talking about the US and not Canada or North America even though there are Canadian dates) is that it's not so important for him to do a profitable tour here. But to make a presence here and try to build a following. Because the payoff potential is so huge. If someone breaks in the US it pretty much breaks them worldwide, whereas the same is not true for Germany, etc.

But I'd be curious to hear the details if you know someone who knows how it all works.

Yup. If he get some good offers, he should grab it. :mf_rosetinted:

The problem is, most of offers are from France...

The funny thing is (not :aah:) that every time a gig in France is announced,many french fans on twitter are like: OH,no! :throw: NOOOO,Mika!! :chair: WHY??? Why are you doing a gig on the street next to me? :hair: WHY?? :banghead: I want a gig on MY STREET,dammit!!! :furious: On my backyard!!! Pleaseeeee!!! :pray:

:mf_rosetinted: