Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - Theatre Corona, April 6, 2013 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

guylainem123

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to break it to everyone but I think Max and Curtis are totally faking their "fun" on stage. :teehee: Just to give you an idea of how terrible the sound was from the front row in Toronto, we could hear Max and Curtis talking louder than the music they were playing. The whole thing was really awkward because the crowd could not get into this music that they could not hear. I was really trying to avoid eye contact with Max because he seemed to notice every time I looked in his direction and it was so weird. :aah:

The music is so clearly chosen by Mika (Dolly Parton, etc.) and for those who have been on previous tours you may understand when I say that this is basically the same type of music that was played between the opening act and Mika's set. I guess Mika thought it would be better to have them on stage pretending to be DJing it instead of just having music on the speakers since there's no actual opening act. We were discussing writing a note to them and telling them we're sorry Mika made them do it. :lmfao:

Anyway thanks so much for this reports. They are wonderful. Toronto was such a bust for us but I'm glad to hear Montreal was amazing because I feel like that's my home gig too even if I can't be there. :fangurl:

Whether they're faking, playing music not chosen by them or not, I still enjoy it...

Thank you for the video Krys (and Crazyaboutmika :wink2:)! I like the song!

Each time I'm reading a report I'm getting more and more excited to go to my first Mika's gig soon :fangurl::fangurl::fangurl:

Even if I think Bourges will not be very intimate... :teehee:

I don't know how this song can come across as personal when it was clearly written by someone else and he needs to read the lyrics from a piece of paper as if he's never even sung it before. :aah: Contrast that with the Make You Happy performance in LA that was utterly heartbreaking in its sincerity and Mika doesn't appear to connect with this song at all.

Thanks for the lyrics and translation Camille/Macboll. It does make a beautiful poem but I am never going to understand the point of Mika getting someone like Doriand to write lyrics for him.

But maybe we should have a song thread to discuss the song in detail and not do it in the gig thread.

I don't think you can hear the presentation of the song in the videos. He said he wanted to have something new in French just for this show and had work with Doriand by emails in the last days. So yes, I think it's pretty new. He aslo said Curtis learned to play it at soundcheck.

Even if he needs help to formulate his thoughts, I still have no problem of seeing it as personal. Some of the most famous and acclaimed singers in this world spend their lives singing other peoples' words. Because a song is not just words, it's how you carry it across. And Mika did it beautifully last night. Even with a sheet of paper in his hand. I'm willing to give him time to work it out a bit and it can become something big. And the crowd loved it too. He aslo get bonus points fir thinking about doing this.

Finally, people requested Karen and he sang it. Without any sheet. Without any mistakes and it was great.

PS: I agree with you with the LA reddit of Make you happy, but do you remember the first time he tried to sing it at Lovebox?

Last anecdote xD

While trying to remember the chords to rain, he played them down before. And went:

Mika:Wait. No. Those are the chords to Karen..

*plays again*

Mika:Well, i only know 4 really..

*plays a bit of karen with lyrics*

Mika:Omg!! Its the exact same chords!!! Thats ****ing stupid!

:lmfao:

Because a song is not just words, it's how you carry it across. And Mika did it beautifully last night. Even with a sheet of paper in his hand. I'm willing to give him time to work it out a bit and it can become something big. And the crowd loved it too. He aslo get bonus points fir thinking about doing this.

I am just never going to like songs like Karen and this one. I listened to them once and don't ever want to hear them again.

I'm glad you enjoy them since they are meant for a French speaking audience but they don't sound like Mika to me.

I hate to break it to everyone but I think Max and Curtis are totally faking their "fun" on stage. :teehee: Just to give you an idea of how terrible the sound was from the front row in Toronto, we could hear Max and Curtis talking louder than the music they were playing. The whole thing was really awkward because the crowd could not get into this music that they could not hear. I was really trying to avoid eye contact with Max because he seemed to notice every time I looked in his direction and it was so weird. :aah:

The music is so clearly chosen by Mika (Dolly Parton, etc.) and for those who have been on previous tours you may understand when I say that this is basically the same type of music that was played between the opening act and Mika's set. I guess Mika thought it would be better to have them on stage pretending to be DJing it instead of just having music on the speakers since there's no actual opening act. We were discussing writing a note to them and telling them we're sorry Mika made them do it. :lmfao:

Anyway thanks so much for this reports. They are wonderful. Toronto was such a bust for us but I'm glad to hear Montreal was amazing because I feel like that's my home gig too even if I can't be there. :fangurl:

The expressions on their faces on this pic makes sense now. :naughty:

293308_478129368903181_38774300_n.jpg

Christine, as I am a very very new Mika fan I'm a bit lost in all his songs: can you give me examples of what are real Mika style songs for you?

Hmm...pretty much all of them except Karen, this new one, Blame it on the Weather, Kids, Erase, maybe By The Time. Mika has collaborated with many producers/songwriters on the arrangements but I think at their heart the majority of his songs all have his trademark. But there is something about these ones that just sound like someone else's songs altogether. Cath is right that other singers spend their lives singing other people's words but when Mika is selling his own songs to pop superstars and Hollywood movies it seems absurd for him to sing what sound like cover songs (and mediocre ones at that).

JMO though. :wink2:

Anyway we should probably talk about the songs in the song threads and leave this for the reports.

thanks everyone for the reports/pix/videos! :flowers2:

Just for fun, I have a VERY funny picture. He made this face when he tells us that it was very wierd because he was speaking french but sings in english. It's a screenshot and it worths the look. I think I'm gonna do a gif with this, it's priceless.

mika1_zps5ca43412.jpg

lol, he looks like a picasso painting there! :lmfao: (sorry mika :teehee:)

Last anecdote xD

While trying to remember the chords to rain, he played them down before. And went:

*plays again*

someone should tell him about the four chord song:

:lmfao: (which in fact includes happy ending too! :naughty:)

You were beside me!!!!!

I saw him starting to sign and you: NOOO

ITS A GIFT

Him: aww for me!?!?

And then he kinda hugged it. Lmfao

Amazingly cute ^^

Im sorry i had no idea where u were allie :( i actually asked like 10 girls if they were u before giving up:aah:

awww really!? my brain was blank when he was in front of me n i didn't even know what i was saying... just saw his pen above my gift n i got all like "NOOOOO!!!!"

i saw someone said he did that once (or more!?) n i was preparing that but... anyway... he's adorable :wub2:

btw do u have blond hair by any chance? i only saw a girl at my front-left side n that was the only one i noticed except him... i didn't even notice my friend was taking photos just next to me... :fisch:

i'm really not at communicate w/ people... n i get nervous easily:(

What an amazing day!!

I arrived around 1:00 pm. A few minutes after the owner of a furniture shop asked us to separate the line so we wouldn't block the view. A member of the security staff later came to push us further back at least twice :wait:

06042013210_small_zpse89dce7f.jpg

It was so cold ... 2 degrees ... my feet were freezing and my back was killing me but it was so worth it!! I met lovely people in line, including Guylaine and Cathouzouf which was nice since I came alone.

They let enter only a few people at a time so it wouldn't be chaos inside and I got 2nd row near the center, just behind Roxanne and Véronique (? I'm not sure about your name :blush-anim-cl:).

06042013218_small_zpscace3faa.jpg

The DJ set warmed me up but I would have love to be able to hear what Curtis and Max were saying, they seemed to have so much fun!

06042013222_small_zps3fd829f3.jpg

Then Mika arrived and the place ignited. I could only see the top half of his face when he was on the piano, but luckily he came on the front of the stage often.

06042013247_small_zpsd9cb5a6e.jpg

He said, about the new french song that Doriand thought it would be nice to talk about the fact that he was getting older and that it was probably some sort of vengeance since Doriand is even older, so I dont think Mika is really that anxious about turning 30. :naughty:

He messed up his set list and asked what he sould play next. He then proceeded in doing Karen and Rain like asked ... and completely forgot Rain's 2nd verse like the others said already.

Stardust and Happy Ending ... :swoon:

At the end the crowd was so loud, Mika had to remove his ear pieces.

He of course ended with Over my shoulder, wich is not my personnal favorite, but was a nice ending anyway (There are several slow paced song, my personnal favorites, that he never sings :sneaky2:)

After the show we went outise to wait for him. There were A LOT of people and I got nervous I wouldn't be able to give him my gift, but luckily the security staff kept people somewhat in line and Mika passed the whole line.

06042013249_small_zpsdc47a860.jpg

When he got to me I had to tell him twice not to sign my gift and remove it from under his pen but he finally took it. At first he took it without really looking but then he had a second look, touched it and said it was really beautiful. And then I :fangurl: and forgot to thank him or say anything and he was gone :blush-anim-cl:

Here is me earlier with my gift, a card made with fabric (Thanks Cathouzouf for the picture!! :huglove:) I hope he'll read it, I made sure it was not too long :naughty:

DSCN0568_small_zpsc1493251.jpg

Like I said before, what an AMAZING day!!!!!

hey i was just in front of u when we were waiting!! i saw ur gift n thought tats absolutely adorable!! i even told my friend about this adorable little hat (i only saw ur gift out of the corner of my eye while i was talking to my frined in line ;P) on the cover of a notebook or a card tat must be a gift to mika after the meet & greet XD so it is a card XD great job!! love it!!

(good for u warned him TWICE... cause he signed on my gift... *puff*:doh:)

Last anecdote xD

*plays again*

hahaha xD

Here we go, I told you I was going to do a gif with my wierd picture.

mikawierdface.gif

:naughty: Mika, if you see this, I'm very sorry. :aah:

Awwww WELL DONE !!! Great GIF ever !! :clap:

Could you link to the video for us ? I'd love to see it so much !!!!! :das:

Awwww WELL DONE !!! Great GIF ever !! :clap:

Could you link to the video for us ? I'd love to see it so much !!!!! :das:

Okkkkkk just for you :teehee:

fLIqfrcxAw0

Edit: Heyyy I FINALLY have a picture of me from this day. It was after the M&G, you can see my album with HIS autograph. :fangurl:

me-2_zpsde3c7121.jpg

Edited by Alie

Okkkkkk just for you :teehee:

fLIqfrcxAw0

Merci beaucoup !!!!! Fantastic video you've taken !!!! :huglove::flowers2:

:pray: Hope somebody translate it.... ( I can't understand anything he speaks :blush-anim-cl: )

Merci beaucoup !!!!! Fantastic video you've taken !!!! :huglove::flowers2:

:pray: Hope somebody translate it.... ( I can't understand anything he speaks :blush-anim-cl: )

"It's a change, I speak French tonight !

In fact, it's really different in French.

First because my muscians are English, they don't speak French.. so if they have an expression like this *lost face*, it's completly fair.

Secondly because I have no idea what I'm gonna say.

I'm talking in French, I'm singing in English. *wierd face*

It makes a mess. (not sure how to translate that, "Ça fout tout en l'air")

But there're some lyrics that we can understand in every language."

And then he starts singing LYWID. :wub2:

"It's a change, I speak French tonight !

In fact, it's really different in French.

First because my muscians are English, they don't speak French.. so if they have an expression like this *lost face*, it's completly fair.

Secondly because I have no idea what I'm gonna say.

I'm talking in French, I'm singing in English. *wierd face*

It makes a mess. (not sure how to translate that, "Ça fout tout en l'air")

But there're some lyrics that we can understand in every language."

And then he starts singing LYWID. :wub2:

Thanks a million again !!!! :wub2:

Google translates "Ça fout tout en l'air" to "It screws up in the air" !! Nice words !! :teehee: