Mika rarely premiers new songs live

dcdeb

This is such a tiny item, I didn't really want to give it its own thread, but I couldn't find a better place to put it... and I was really curious as to which song you think it is that Mika's referring to here? Heroes? :blink:

blog.Mika_.jpg

Mika is sticking to the old stuff in concerts.

Speaking before last night’s performance at the Mawazine Festival in Morocco, the Lebanse-born English singer recalled a bad live experience during a recent European tour.

“I wrote this song which I thought was amazing and I played it that night and there was absolutely no response from the crowd,” he said.

“I was shocked. I felt stuck and I remember looking at the band as I didn’t know what to do.”

His Moroccan fans didn’t mind his safe musical choices, however.

Mika tore through a hit-laden set including the hits Grace Kelly, Blame it on the Girls and the French favorite Elle me dit.

http://blogs.thenational.ae/lifestyle/scene-heard/mika-rarely-premiers-new-songs-live

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a tiny item, I didn't really want to give it its own thread, but I couldn't find a better place to put it... and I was really curious as to which song you think it is that Mika's referring to here? Heroes? :blink:

In one of the videos with the press conference or one of the interviews he tells the EMD story, that he didn't get any reaction from the crowd the first few times he sang it, so I think they are referring to that.

In one of the videos with the press conference or one of the interviews he tells the EMD story, that he didn't get any reaction from the crowd the first few times he sang it, so I think they are referring to that.

Yeah. That's what's going around. But goodness, the way he describes it here is quite scary! I didn't think the reaction to EMD could have been that bad. I mean, it's a very upbeat song...Something like Heroes I could imagine because it warrants a more thoughtful ear. But EMD? I can only imagine EMD would flop due to a language problem.

Yes,I remember him telling this,so I think it refers to EMD too.

Yeah. That's what's going around. But goodness, the way he describes it here is quite scary! I didn't think the reaction to EMD could have been that bad. I mean, it's a very upbeat song...Something like Heroes I could imagine because it warrants a more thoughtful ear. But EMD? I can only imagine EMD would flop due to a language problem.

A language problem? He premiered it in France!

He doesn't always sing it very well though :fisch:

And he does have a bit of a flair for the art of exaggeration :blush-anim-cl:

I meant if it was somewhere other than France that he played it, not necessarily the very first time. :blush-anim-cl: And yes, he does exaggerate!

I'd be interested to know what he considers a "bad response" to a song. He's admitted before that he's mistook a "bad response" for people just properly listening and trying to take it in.

Although I probably don't want to know. It sounds terribly awkward. :aah:

I'd go for Rain at PDP. A lot of people loathed it, so presumably were a bit quiet on the night (though I can't remember) And it was later reworked and promoted as the big single in the UK- where it flopped again.

It's not as recent as all that- but then he's always ready to improve on reality if it suits the moment.

Yes,I remember him telling this,so I think it refers to EMD too.

Yes I read it was about EMD too. It may be from the first Summer festivals of 2011, he had only performed it on the radio at that time and for example in Compiègne it was clear that the majority of people didn't know the song yet and maybe didn't get 'into it' enough. He sang it in other countries before France though (Romania as far as I remember)

I really don't think it's about Heroes, there was a good reaction from the audience on that one and I can't remember him looking at the band as he describes.

Think the first time he sang Elle me dit was in Romania not in France:thumb_yello:

maybe it's step with me? :dunno: there must be a reason why he doesn't sing it more often. :rolls_eyes: if he says "recent european tour" (assuming that this is true :teehee:), i wouldn't think of something like EMD or rain.

Think the first time he sang Elle me dit was in Romania not in France:thumb_yello:

It was :thumb_yello: And Compiegne after that. He is probably talking about EMD but I can remember Heroes too. And he asked so many people on stage... It was sweet, of course, but actually really difficult to enjoy a new song that way, to many things distracting (so I can't remember it well). I wish I could hear it live again, it's one of my favorites from TOOL :wub2:

It was :thumb_yello: And Compiegne after that. He is probably talking about EMD but I can remember Heroes too. And he asked so many people on stage... It was sweet, of course, but actually really difficult to enjoy a new song that way, to many things distracting (so I can't remember it well). I wish I could hear it live again, it's one of my favorites from TOOL :wub2:

Well now I remember, if the article Deb mentionned is from Mawazine, he was specifically talking about EMD, I heard him say it somewhere

I really don't think it's about Heroes, there was a good reaction from the audience on that one and I can't remember him looking at the band as he describes.

I didn't think the reaction was that great to Heroes -- and he's only ever sung it the one time, right? I don't remember ever hearing it more than that. :dunno:

maybe it's step with me? :dunno: there must be a reason why he doesn't sing it more often. :rolls_eyes: if he says "recent european tour" (assuming that this is true :teehee:), i wouldn't think of something like EMD or rain.

Well, that's what I was thinking -- EMD and Rain are both several years old, so I was assuming he meant more recently than that.

Well now I remember, if the article Deb mentionned is from Mawazine, he was specifically talking about EMD, I heard him say it somewhere

The article is from Mawazine, but if he was talking in a French interview, obviously it went right over my head. I can usually get the gist in a French conversation, but I definitely don't catch all the details. :blink:

Hmm I assumed it was ma jeunesse the first time I read this article cos he said the recent European tour and that he wrote it the night before... Ahh well :dunno:

Edited by nas

It's not as recent as all that- but then he's always ready to improve on reality if it suits the moment.

Improve on reality... I think I'll stick to that expression from now on :lmfao:

But I was there when he premiered SWM and although there were some people in the back that weren't interested in the gig at all, the crowd in front totally went for it. And he mentioned EMD during that interview, so I'm pretty convinced that was it. I don't remember him saying recent either. Although it could always be Mikarecent...

But he sung Ma Jeunesse for the first time in Canada... didn't he?

And this song was so beautiful!

I can't believe there was no response! :aah:

He sang that song for the first time in Montreal! I was there and the reaction was really good:thumb_yello:

He sang that song for the first time in Montreal! I was there and the reaction was really good:thumb_yello:

Yeah I took a vid of the moment and the reaction is perfect. And he didn't look at his musicians.

I agree that it's about Elle me dit. Pretty sure...

Blame It On The Weather? :naughty:

That's the first song i thought of :naughty:

But he sung Ma Jeunesse for the first time in Canada... didn't he?

no, the reaction was fine... since nobody knew the words, we were all listening attentively but the applause and reaction was good

I seem to remember the first time he sang EMD at a gig, he messed up the words.

I always thought he was looking at his band to save his life :naughty: