MIKA as a judge at "THE VOICE" France 2014

Sweetieval

Okay I have a million comments/questions but can't remember most of them. :naughty:

The format of The Voice is a thousand times better than all these Simon Cowell shows. Obviously all the worst rejection is done prior to the show - as it should be, instead of bringing people out to humiliate them for entertainment purposes. Even watching the two people who were not "wanted" by any of the judges was heartbreaking and the boy should not have been brought to that stage. But at least everyone handled it properly and there was no "willy" moment. :aah:

I think I was more impressed with the other judges than I was with Mika, just because Mika acted how I would expect him to so it was nothing noteworthy for me. :naughty: Garou is a bit obnoxious for my tastes but I still like him and was impressed with Jenifer and Florent. I think they all make a great team and Mika seems to be the more eccentric of the bunch whereas on X Factor he looked like the only halfway normal person in a cast of clowns. :teehee:

Leila is lovely, she reminds me of our own Mariposa! :wink2:

The Fever guy - what was his name? I don't know if it was cut from the file I was watching or they just didn't show a preview for him before he sang but I didn't get his name? He is my favourite I think. He has the same kind of music sensibility as Paolo Nutini and I really love it.

Manon - why didn't Mika pick her??? :aah: I don't think I understood what he was saying. She was one of my favourites. She had this Amy Winehouse thing without trying to be Amy Winehouse, she was just really great.

Marina - I don't understand why they were all fighting over her. She seemed somewhat medicore to me and so lacking in personality I couldn't concentrate on anything she was saying in her interview. But I know first impressions change over the course of these shows so maybe she has something I'm not seeing yet. Also I don't know the original version of the song she sang so maybe her interpretation was exceptional and I can't hear it.

Spleen - OMG he was so out there. :lmfao: I can understand why Mika was fascinated with him and for sure he has amazing vocal skills and he is "an artist" as Mika says. But I don't think he's a good choice for this kind of competition and I don't see the point in Mika trying to coach someone like this. The guy is going to do whatever the hell he wants and I just can't imagine anyone else is going to be able to tame him. :naughty: Because really for this guy to get any kind of a mainstream audience he is going to have to tone it down a little bit. Mika has always said he would not be a good contestant on one of these shows and I think Spleen is even more extreme than Mika.

The Underwater girl - She was quite good but I can understand why Mika didn't chose her and I think it was a wise choice. It probably hurt her a little bit but hopefully she can see when she watches the show how much he appreciated her performance.

One thing I liked about the contestants in general is that they just look like normal people. There is this thing on these shows where they choose people who look like they came from a trailer park or escaped from the grunge era or are just trying-too-hard-freaky and then they dress them up like dolls with clothes that don't suit them and excess hair and makeup, etc. The contestants looked presentable for TV but totally natural at the same time and I hope it stays that way.

I am not really looking forward to battling and people being voted off or whatever is going to happen in the later stages but these auditions are interesting.

Okay I have a million comments/questions but can't remember most of them. :naughty:

The format of The Voice is a thousand times better than all these Simon Cowell shows. Obviously all the worst rejection is done prior to the show - as it should be, instead of bringing people out to humiliate them for entertainment purposes. Even watching the two people who were not "wanted" by any of the judges was heartbreaking and the boy should not have been brought to that stage. But at least everyone handled it properly and there was no "willy" moment. :aah:

I think I was more impressed with the other judges than I was with Mika, just because Mika acted how I would expect him to so it was nothing noteworthy for me. :naughty: Garou is a bit obnoxious for my tastes but I still like him and was impressed with Jenifer and Florent. I think they all make a great team and Mika seems to be the more eccentric of the bunch whereas on X Factor he looked like the only halfway normal person in a cast of clowns. :teehee:

The Fever guy - what was his name? I don't know if it was cut from the file I was watching or they just didn't show a preview for him before he sang but I didn't get his name? He is my favourite I think. He has the same kind of music sensibility as Paolo Nutini and I really love it.

Manon - why didn't Mika pick her??? :aah: I don't think I understood what he was saying. She was one of my favourites. She had this Amy Winehouse thing without trying to be Amy Winehouse, she was just really great.

Marina - I don't understand why they were all fighting over her. She seemed somewhat medicore to me and so lacking in personality I couldn't concentrate on anything she was saying in her interview. But I know first impressions change over the course of these shows so maybe she has something I'm not seeing yet. Also I don't know the original version of the song she sang so maybe her interpretation was exceptional and I can't hear it.

Spleen - OMG he was so out there. :lmfao: I can understand why Mika was fascinated with him and for sure he has amazing vocal skills and he is "an artist" as Mika says. But I don't think he's a good choice for this kind of competition and I don't see the point in Mika trying to coach someone like this. The guy is going to do whatever the hell he wants and I just can't imagine anyone else is going to be able to tame him. :naughty: Because really for this guy to get any kind of a mainstream audience he is going to have to tone it down a little bit. Mika has always said he would not be a good contestant on one of these shows and I think Spleen is even more extreme than Mika.

The Underwater girl - She was quite good but I can understand why Mika didn't chose her and I think it was a wise choice. It probably hurt her a little bit but hopefully she can see when she watches the show how much he appreciated her performance.

One thing I liked about the contestants in general is that they just look like normal people. There is this thing on these shows where they choose people who look like they came from a trailer park or escaped from the grunge era or are just trying-too-hard-freaky and then they dress them up like dolls with clothes that don't suit them and excess hair and makeup, etc. The contestants looked presentable for TV but totally natural at the same time and I hope it stays that way.

I am not really looking forward to battling and people being voted off or whatever is going to happen in the later stages but these auditions are interesting.

The fever guy is called Igit:thumb_yello:

What Mika said about Manon is that he couldn't see what he would bring her, especially vocally.

Marina is personally one of my favorite so far with Leila and Pierre... Her interpretation of the Stromae song was very good (and the song is brilliant to start with)

I give a bonus point to Garou for keeping his Quebec accent:teehee:

The fever guy is called Igit:thumb_yello:

What Mika said about Manon is that he couldn't see what he would bring her, especially vocally.

Marina is personally one of my favorite so far with Leila and Pierre... Her interpretation of the Stromae song was very good (and the song is brilliant to start with)

I give a bonus point to Garou for keeping his Quebec accent:teehee:

Oh thanks about Igit. I didn't think much of Pierre but it's hard to judge just from one audition.

I'm glad you like it, it means a lot as I know you usually don't like these shows :wub2::wub2:

About Marina, when I heard her interview I was a bit disappointed but to me she is really amazing when she sings.

Here is the original song by Stromae:

About Mika choosing people or not, the program of yesterday was edited and it's not in the chronological order. I remember that after the 2 first recordings Mika had already too many talents in his team so he had to be really carefull for the next ones and couldn't push the button as often as he wished, because people were very often choosing him. So maybe it was the case with Manon, I don't remember well when this part was recorded.

Am watching some clips now as my Wetransfer thing is sending stuff. I already knew the concept of The Voice was much better than Xfactor (it's Dutch, so you know, if it isn't Dutch it isn't much) but I kinda enjoy what I'm seeing so far. At least these people have proper talent. From what I heard of the Xfactor contestants, I was not even remotely impressed, but there are some great contestants in this show.

I still want him to focus on new music but if he feels like he has to do this kinda sh*t, I prefer the Voice a million times over the Freakshow that is Xfactor.

Just wanted to add that the boy who was not chosen (Alejandro @AlejReyes92) has received tons of great comments on Twitter and even articles on Swiss newspaper if I good understand, so even if he wasn't chosen I think it's a good thing they kept his part at the editing, it may bring him something good :thumb_yello:

Ok, I don't even remotely want to start the same old argoment again, but I just wanted to say that it is kinda getting on my nerves that people (not everyone of course), in order to say they enjoyed this programme, compare it to X Factor, calling it a 'freak show', calling the judges (the Italian ones at least) clowns and calling all the contestants talentless. Thing is, if people who say these things had actually watched XF -and when I say watch I don't mean having watched that stupid willy clip on YouTube, but all the episodes, all the dailys, all the rehearsals, all the journeys the contestants and the judges went through - well, if they had properly watched it I would have no problem with it. But it gets on my nerves that people who have only watched a few minutes of it feel like they have the means to judge it all. I never judge something I do not fully know, otherwise I'd judge it out of prejudice. That's just something I needed to point out, that's all.

About the concept of the format, I have to say I find it quite cruel and nonsensical, I mean, these people are singing, are looking for a life-changing opportunity through music, and they have to sing to chairs!? Seriously? With the fear not to be chosen? It just feels like a superfluous dramatization of the situation for me. If I'm auditioning for whatever at least I want to see the people that judge me in the eyes. And also, what people praise about it (at least here in Italy about the Italian edition, which is really horrible) is that you don't judge a singer by his looks. That's true, and in some ways right, but in a pop artist I am not looking for 'the voice' , otherwise I'd go listening to Maria Callas, I am looking for emotions, for interpreting skills, for, basically, a personality, and a personality is linked to the person, to how he/she is (not pleasant or not pleasant, but just 'him/her') the charisma, to the way he/she is onstage.

These are maybe 'overthoughts' about the whole concept, but having said these things, if I watch it without hyper analyzing something that is not meant to be analyzed, but only enjoyed as a show, it is indeed an enjoyable show! Unfortunately I don't have much time to follow it properly and my French is near the zero level XD but from the few clips I saw it really is enjoyable, the judges seem nice and well, Mika is being Mika :), and I'm very happy that French people will appreciate him even more after this (btw, 11 millions of audience is a HUGE number!! I hadn't realized it was so popular in France!). So that's all I wanted to say, sorry if I wrote too much XD

Bad guys are my weak point:naughty:

Yes he has a certain appeal, I just don't think he's going to win a show like this. But we'll see. :naughty:

I've watched the performance of Marina and I must say I love her :teehee::wub2:

With that name you were destined to love her :teehee:

Oh yes of course. :lmfao:

About Marina, when I heard her interview I was a bit disappointed but to me she is really amazing when she sings.

Here is the original song by Stromae:

Oh well I think I like the original better. :naughty: She does a good job on the chorus but the verses are weak. I was really surprised that Mika chose her before she started the chorus because up to that point I was actually thinking she was pretty awful. I think she and Leila have a similar appeal but Leila is more interesting and unique.

About Mika choosing people or not, the program of yesterday was edited and it's not in the chronological order. I remember that after the 2 first recordings Mika had already too many talents in his team so he had to be really carefull for the next ones and couldn't push the button as often as he wished, because people were very often choosing him. So maybe it was the case with Manon, I don't remember well when this part was recorded.

Yes I was wondering about the logistics of that and what they were going to do as no one was picking Florent. :naughty: I guess it's inevitable that most young people are going to be drawn to Mika and Jenifer. That's a bit of a flaw in the show and I think it must bias the viewers to see, for example, all the judges fighting over Marina but rejecting some others. She really isn't that much better than all the other auditions we've seen but people are swayed by that type of reaction.

Just wanted to add that the boy who was not chosen (Alejandro @AlejReyes92) has received tons of great comments on Twitter and even articles on Swiss newspaper if I good understand, so even if he wasn't chosen I think it's a good thing they kept his part at the editing, it may bring him something good :thumb_yello:

Maybe, but I still thought it wasn't proper to bring him to this stage of the auditions. It felt a bit manipulative since he wasn't on par with the other singers. I was waiting for him to break out in the chorus like Marina did and show that he actually had something but it wasn't there.

Ok, I don't even remotely want to start the same old argoment again, but I just wanted to say that it is kinda getting on my nerves that people (not everyone of course), in order to say they enjoyed this programme, compare it to X Factor, calling it a 'freak show', calling the judges (the Italian ones at least) clowns and calling all the contestants talentless. Thing is, if people who say these things had actually watched XF -and when I say watch I don't mean having watched that stupid willy clip on YouTube, but all the episodes, all the dailys, all the rehearsals, all the journeys the contestants and the judges went through - well, if they had properly watched it I would have no problem with it. But it gets on my nerves that people who have only watched a few minutes of it feel like they have the means to judge it all. I never judge something I do not fully know, otherwise I'd judge it out of prejudice. That's just something I needed to point out, that's all.

About the concept of the format, I have to say I find it quite cruel and nonsensical, I mean, these people are singing, are looking for a life-changing opportunity through music, and they have to sing to chairs!? Seriously? With the fear not to be chosen? It just feels like a superfluous dramatization of the situation for me. If I'm auditioning for whatever at least I want to see the people that judge me in the eyes. And also, what people praise about it (at least here in Italy about the Italian edition, which is really horrible) is that you don't judge a singer by his looks. That's true, and in some ways right, but in a pop artist I am not looking for 'the voice' , otherwise I'd go listening to Maria Callas, I am looking for emotions, for interpreting skills, for, basically, a personality, and a personality is linked to the person, to how he/she is (not pleasant or not pleasant, but just 'him/her') the charisma, to the way he/she is onstage.

These are maybe 'overthoughts' about the whole concept, but having said these things, if I watch it without hyper analyzing something that is not meant to be analyzed, but only enjoyed as a show, it is indeed an enjoyable show! Unfortunately I don't have much time to follow it properly and my French is near the zero level XD but from the few clips I saw it really is enjoyable, the judges seem nice and well, Mika is being Mika :), and I'm very happy that French people will appreciate him even more after this (btw, 11 millions of audience is a HUGE number!! I hadn't realized it was so popular in France!). So that's all I wanted to say, sorry if I wrote too much XD

The point is, the coaches have their backs to the singers so that they can just concentrate on listening to the voice, not looking at the singer, which can be distracting. So it's not really a ridiculous concept, it's focusing on the thing most important to being a singer, which is their voice.

The singers are aware of this hence why they enter, to be judged on their singing technique, and not what they look like.

Ok, I don't even remotely want to start the same old argoment again, but I just wanted to say that it is kinda getting on my nerves that people (not everyone of course), in order to say they enjoyed this programme, compare it to X Factor, calling it a 'freak show', calling the judges (the Italian ones at least) clowns and calling all the contestants talentless. Thing is, if people who say these things had actually watched XF -and when I say watch I don't mean having watched that stupid willy clip on YouTube, but all the episodes, all the dailys, all the rehearsals, all the journeys the contestants and the judges went through - well, if they had properly watched it I would have no problem with it. But it gets on my nerves that people who have only watched a few minutes of it feel like they have the means to judge it all.

I saw dozens and dozens of photos and screencaps of the judges looking like clowns. If you don't agree with me that wearing garish outfits and wigs, etc. is clownish that is your right but I don't need to watch hours and hours of X Factor to form my own opinion one way or another. I thought Mika looked ridiculous on a number of occasions and I don't see how I am any more or less qualified than anyone else to think so.

I didn't watch every minute of X Factor so I don't know everything there is to know about the show and contestants but I saw several clips of the contestants singing and I didn't find any of them exceptional at all. The girls on Mika's team came across to me like Marina - marginal singers with no personality. If I can form an opinion on the singers of the Voice after seeing them sing for 3 minutes I can form an opinion on the singers of X Factor by the exact same measure.

It's rather ironic that one of my criticisms of these shows is that the judges are determining the fates of the contestants based on a 3-minute audition and nothing else, but apparently I am not even allowed to form an opinion on the same basis. I am just a viewer and what I think doesn't matter.

I understand you feelings totally:huglove:

I enjoyed watching XF tremendously during the fall but, as a francophone and someone who prefer less to more, The Voice is more my cup of tea. It gives a chance to people to highlights what is the most important part of show business: their voice!

Each show has its pros and cons:thumb_yello:

I didn't have to watch Xfactor Italy religiously to come to the conclusion that it was exactly the same as all other XFactor shows. They are not really looking for talent, but for entertainment and someone to mold into what the producers want.

I know that one singer here was asked to work on the concept of a new talent show and he said he only would if the focus was on the voice and not on whether someone was good looking or not which is often the case. Hence the chairs. You may find that a cruel concept but honestly, allowing people who can't sing to audition just so they make a fool of themselves for entertainment value is far more cruel to me.

And at least here in Holland, almost all winners and runner-ups had great success after the show. Can't say the same about Xfactor contestants here.

Watched the show on Saturday and I absolutely loved it!!

Mika did an excellent job! He really is a brilliant coach, always honest, kind, serious about music and with a sense of humour as well. For example loved the "je n'ecoute qu'Aqua" comment, made me laugh.

Hearing Bohemian Rhapsody and Everybody's Talking was amazing too! Such beautiful performances:wub2:

My favorite of the contestants so far is Marina, liked her performance very much. Very glad she's on Mika's team.

Cant wait to watch the next episodes of the show!!!

I saw dozens and dozens of photos and screencaps of the judges looking like clowns. If you don't agree with me that wearing garish outfits and wigs, etc. is clownish that is your right but I don't need to watch hours and hours of X Factor to form my own opinion one way or another. I thought Mika looked ridiculous on a number of occasions and I don't see how I am any more or less qualified than anyone else to think so.

I agree with you that wearing these costumes looks clownish. But it doesn't say anything about what the person has to say, how he worked with the contestants, what songs he did choose, what he values... I have to say that I really learned to appreciate Morgan as a judge because of these things. Nobody has to share this opinion about him of course, but I just wanted to point out that judging from the costumes may doesn't do the whole Morgan justice.