Mikasounds, Twitter and Facebook updates - Part 12

silver

Maybe I'm wrong because my English is so poor and I'm not a native speaker but in my vocabulary "hot" means almost same as "sexy" or "physically attractive" unless we are using it in totally different meaning. Also, having a "crush" on someone means (for me) quick falling in love, finding that particular person attractive in every sense.

And when I look at Mika on stage I feel pure joy and happiness, magic, positive energy and a warm, proud feeling because he is so talented and so good at what he is doing. I love reading/listening in his thoughts because I find them interesting and intelligent and they makes me understand his work better. Isn't that what fans often feel and do?

I understand some people have a crush on him, for young people it's safe and easy to have feelings like that to someone distant, for someone adult it can simply be escaping :dunno:

Oh, and I forgot to say thank you to everybody who shared the story of the first effect Mika had on them :wub2:

:huglove:

This is my first Mika encounter.

[YOUTUBE]1qUbUJ_pQhE[/YOUTUBE]

I had only heard this song once, sang by a girl in my son's "Year End show" and i LOVED it and i told my son. He said..."Oh a new singer named Mika sings it" & he put on the above video on his computer. I almost passed out when i saw it was a guy and not a girl singing it :naughty:

Then a few days later, my other son's girlfriend came over with the CD, i loved it and the rest is history.

And just so you all know... i skipped "Erase" after 30 seconds that day... and i still do :aah:

"Grace" seems to be a lot of people's first encounter with the Mika-man. Mine too.

If you can't handle personal details, stop here, because this story is going to be quite personal, indeed.

I was in the process of recovery from a very bad 2006. I won't even go into details beyond the fact that I had plunged into this terrible, endless abyss of pain and my depression, already an everyday part of my chemistry, had resulted in a suicide attempt. I was barely functional over the holidays and the new year, quite frankly, sucked so far.

My oldest daughter had me go out with her for a while, and I went, even though I hated the idea of being around anyone else. Surely they all could feel my hurt, but did they care? Oh heck no. So few people did then.

We were walking through a department store downtown, through the teen section to pass through the skywalks on that floor. And that's where I met Grace Kelly and Mika. My head turned toward the television screen that was playing music videos, and I stopped, mid-aisle.

Something in the performance struck me to the core, in a way no one had since Queen, in 1978. I'd had my Richard Marx fixation in the late 80s, early 90s, but this wasn't the same at all. I stood there listening, not fixated on the kid singing in red beyond his movements, which I could see in a blur because tears were streaming down my face faster than I can describe. Discovering him as a person, his facets, slowly over time, I found much there to admire and appreciate. Still do.

Still, my fandom was low key, and remained so until about a year ago. Thus I missed his performances in the area where I live, but I have gotten tickets to Montreal. I am going to make it happen, as my birthday gift to myself for surviving to half a century!

Edited by Kezza

Maybe I'm wrong because my English is so poor and I'm not a native speaker but in my vocabulary "hot" means almost same as "sexy" or "physically attractive" unless we are using it in totally different meaning. Also, having a "crush" on someone means (for me) quick falling in love, finding that particular person attractive in every sense.

And when I look at Mika on stage I feel pure joy and happiness, magic, positive energy and a warm, proud feeling because he is so talented and so good at what he is doing. I love reading/listening in his thoughts because I find them interesting and intelligent and they makes me understand his work better. Isn't that what fans often feel and do?

I understand some people have a crush on him, for young people it's safe and easy to have feelings like that to someone distant, for someone adult it can simply be escaping :dunno:

Your English is fine!

I always kind of saw him more like a brother than someone to drool over, even when I was 15. I wouldn't say he is a sex symbol but then again the men I think are sexy are way different looking. :naughty:

This is my first Mika encounter.

[YOUTUBE]1qUbUJ_pQhE[/YOUTUBE]

I had only heard this song once, sang by a girl in my son's "Year End show" and i LOVED it and i told my son. He said..."Oh a new singer named Mika sings it" & he put on the above video on his computer. I almost passed out when i saw it was a guy and not a girl singing it :naughty:

Then a few days later, my other son's girlfriend came over with the CD, i loved it and the rest is history.

And just so you all know... i skipped "Erase" after 30 seconds that day... and i still do :aah:

Love the video :wub2:

"Grace" seems to be a lot of people's first encounter with the Mika-man. Mine too.

If you can't handle personal details, stop here, because this story is going to be quite personal, indeed.

I was in the process of recovery from a very bad 2006. I won't even go into details beyond the fact that I had plunged into this terrible, endless abyss of pain and my depression, already an everyday part of my chemistry, had resulted in a suicide attempt. I was barely functional over the holidays and the new year, quite frankly, sucked so far.

My oldest daughter had me go out with her for a while, and I went, even though I hated the idea of being around anyone else. Surely they all could feel my hurt, but did they care? Oh heck no. So few people did then.

We were walking through a department store downtown, through the teen section to pass through the skywalks on that floor. And that's where I met Grace Kelly and Mika. My head turned toward the television screen that was playing music videos, and I stopped, mid-aisle.

Something in the performance struck me to the core, in a way no one had since Queen, in 1978. I'd had my Richard Marx fixation in the late 80s, early 90s, but this wasn't the same at all. I stood there listening, not fixated on the kid singing in red beyond his movements, which I could see in a blur because tears were streaming down my face faster than I can describe. Discovering him as a person, his facets, slowly over time, I found much there to admire and appreciate. Still do.

Still, my fandom was low key, and remained so until about a year ago. Thus I missed his performances in the area where I live, but I have gotten tickets to Montreal. I am going to make it happen, as my birthday gift to myself for surviving to half a century!

:huglove::huglove:

I find it incredibly bizarre that 5 people are in total agreement with Marta's post even though anyone who is fully fluent in English can see that one of her reasons for disagreeing with me is based on a misunderstanding of what I said.

Bizarre yet not surprising at all unfortunately.

As one of the bizarre five, I just happened to like what she said. I didn't even notice the misunderstanding and am still not sure where it lies. I just thought it was a very thoughtful post. And I'm with Kezza. I have said all I will about this topic.

I always kind of saw him more like a brother than someone to drool over, even when I was 15. I wouldn't say he is a sex symbol but then again the men I think are sexy are way different looking. :naughty:

First things first: I demand a pic of a according-to-Ingie-standards-hot man. You have my facebook and my e-mail. :mf_rosetinted:

When it comes to how I happend to stumble on Mika/how did I feel.....

:baghead: :baghead: :baghead:

It feels so awkward to read my own words again. The very first ones. It feels like a century passed by and I feel totally different right now.

Totally lame: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964143&postcount=1

I didn't even want to meet him, cause I thought it was mostly frustrating

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964155&postcount=6

But I started to bond with MFC:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964221&postcount=23

And MFCers made me to change my mind:

"You all are making me willing to meet him .... I don't know if I have to hate you or love you I'm trying so hard to choke my wish to go and see him..... "

[...]

"All your stories did make me change my mind. I wish to come and see him and you guys."

Aaaaand crush it was:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964558&postcount=31

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3965182&postcount=48

Farsighted moment: "I could go to Milan for signing sessions, but I think it would just be frustrating"

Blind moment: "I'm a little be afraid to have a blue time when I won't be able to see any new interview about him. I guess it will happen soon, since his life isn't always so TV oriented like now."

So, when it comes to me, now that I have cooled down I can see that it was definitely a crush. Hell, I was pretty self aware of it even at the very beginning and honest enough to admit it, even if I was a bit uncertain whether it was about craving to have him as a friend or whatever.

It was mostly a crush on the whole character, though, it wasn't just about his look (I never fell for a pretty face in my whole lfe). And yes, it was drawn out of XF.

How I feel right now? On one hand, I really think I chilled out for good. I like him, I love his music and I want to keep following him but I'm not loosing my mind again over him. I sometimes got bored with the Voice and I'm no longer missing my lunch to listen to him talking to the radio. I'm no longer obsessed with not missing a word of his. On the other, I still wish I could meet him, getting to know him, he still makes me happy and you all know my adventures to go and see him as much as I can. This is why I have inconsistent thoughts and behaviours. It's like I jumped the gun in my fan growing. I believe I experienced in a bunch of months all the feelings that usually need more time to be processed and the product of this is my confused, still merry, a bit more critical, self.

Edited by Elwendin

First things first: I demand a pic of a according-to-Ingie-standards-hot man. You have my facebook and my e-mail. :mf_rosetinted:

When it comes to how I happend to stumble on Mika/how did I feel.....

:baghead: :baghead: :baghead:

It feels so awkward to read my own words again. The very first ones. It feels like a century passed by and I feel totally different right now.

Totally lame: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964143&postcount=1

I didn't even want to meet him, cause I thought it was mostly frustrating

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964155&postcount=6

But I started to bond with MFC:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964221&postcount=23

And MFCers made me to change my mind:

"You all are making me willing to meet him .... I don't know if I have to hate you or love you I'm trying so hard to choke my wish to go and see him..... "

[...]

"All your stories did make me change my mind. I wish to come and see him and you guys."

Aaaaand crush it was:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3964558&postcount=31

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3965182&postcount=48

Farsighted moment: "I could go to Milan for signing sessions, but I think it would just be frustrating"

Blind moment: "I'm a little be afraid to have a blue time when I won't be able to see any new interview about him. I guess it will happen soon, since his life isn't always so TV oriented like now."

So, when it comes to me, now that I have cooled down I can see that it was definitely a crush. Hell, I was pretty self aware of it even at the very beginning and honest enough to admit it, even if I was a bit uncertain whether it was about craving to have him as a friend or whatever.

It was mostly a crush on the whole character, though, it wasn't just about his look (I never fell for a pretty face in my whole lfe). And yes, it was drawn out of XF.

How I feel right now? On one hand, I really think I chilled out for good. I like him, I love his music and I want to keep following him but I'm not loosing my mind again over him. I sometimes got bored with the Voice and I'm no longer missing my lunch to listen to him talking to the radio. I'm no longer obsessed with not missing a word of his. On the other, I still wish I could meet him, getting to know him, he still makes me happy and you all know my adventures to go and see him as much as I can. This is why I have inconsistent thoughts and behaviours. It's like I jumped the gun in my fan growing. I believe I experienced in a bunch of months all the feelings that usually need more time to be processed and the product of this is my confused, still merry, a bit more critical, me.

oh wow! that's prehistoric!!! that's even BEFORE the honeymoon stage of fangirling :lmao:

I feel bad that you had to suffer through such a terrible time in your life. I just find it amazing how music can heal us to an extent. I hope life is better for you now.

It is strange how Mika's voice can just "capture" you. Pre-Mika, I was in another room in our house when the video for Grace Kelly came on. I heard his voice, came running to the television and stood there with my mouth open, thinking all the time "he has the most amazing voice I have ever heard". The video was also original and not cookie cutter like most other music videos at that time.

LOL! I had a Richard Marx fixation as well in the 80's! And I'm not ashamed to say it but I have been a huge fan of Barry Manilow since 1975 and have seen him in concert twice. Once in Vegas (awesome show)! Barry has the same sort of charisma like Mika has that captures you when he is on stage. And I discovered Barry the same way I discovered Mika. I was watching American Bandstand (March 22,1975) when I first heard him. Bad thing was that we didn't have the internet back then to find out about artists or watch you tube videos. You just had to hope and pray that you heard them on the radio!

Also, having a "crush" on someone means (for me) quick falling in love, finding that particular person attractive in every sense.

No one seriously falls in love with someone they don't know (IMO anyway). A crush is a temporary and not very serious thing and it can happen even to 4 year olds.

But the question is why? I love Paolo Nutini's music, much of it even more than Mika's. I love his gigs. He's also very talented, etc. He's even hot! :naughty: But I couldn't care less what he's doing if he's not singing. :dunno:

I also feel the same way about Mika now but there was a time when I was obsessed with everything about him. It's not that he is more interesting, talented and intelligent and better at what he does etc. than every other human who has ever walked the face of the earth. Why not obsess over other people if that's what it is? Melanie says there are thousands of better looking men. The same goes for intelligent people, etc., people who are good at their jobs, etc.

I had a crush on Rick Springfield when I was 13-14 years old. I was not much more than a child so it wasn't some perverse obsession about getting him in the sack or something. It was very chaste. :angel_not:

When I first discovered Mika I heard a DJ on London radio making a fuss over him, saying he was the second coming of Freddie, operatically trained, etc. so I took notice and loved Grace Kelly the minute I heard it. I was going to see lots of British artists as they were trying to break in North America at that time so I went to see Mika in a small club, not expecting much to be honest.

I was impressed with him because he swore on stage (which I wasn't expecting) and said something naughty about Montréal which I thought was very astute for someone who had only been in Canada for 2 days in their entire life. (Of course now I would call this manipulative/pandering and it's a trait I've come to loathe, but that's what happens when they honeymoon is over isn't it? :teehee:)

Anyway later that week I saw Sivan's video where Mika said he was reading MFC and I liked this idea so I came to check it out. I was really surprised when I got here because everyone was talking about how hot Mika is and I didn't find him physically attractive at all and it seemed absurd to me personally because he's 15 years younger than me. :naughty:

But you know the months went on and Mika started changing dramatically much like he has changed this past year. He gained weight, he changed his style, he really started loosening up in his performances. He had sort of been this awkward newborn colt in the beginning, barely able to stand on his legs, but by mid-2007 he was much more self-assured, less awkward.

And I was like is it just me or is Mika becoming hot? :naughty: I got wrapped up in MFC and in Mika's world (the gigs, etc.). I used to ask myself when? WHEN is staring at pics of him or learning the most mundane and stupid things and repeating the same gossip over and over going to become boring? How can I be so fascinated by something that is not really fascinating at all? :naughty:

People have often said that discovering Mika and going to gigs is a way to relive their teenage years and they feel 14 again. And that described what I was experiencing perfectly. I don't know why it took me so long to notice but eventually I realized that Mika was a replacement for Rick Springfield in my mind. He's tall, big brown eyes, dimples, a singer, etc. The difference was that Mika was so accessible. Interacting with fans on and off the stage. I was living out all my 14 year old dreams that were impossible in 1982 because famous singers lived in an ivory tower and didn't even interact with people in the front row.

Yada yada yada anyway...it is 7 years later so even my ridiculously immature self is 21 now and I am no longer fascinated by Mika's every giggle and wringing my hands with worry over his every sniffle as I'm sure you've all noticed. :mf_rosetinted:

Are we doing our first Mika moments?

November 2006, driving my van somewhere or other, listening to Scott Mills one of the decent R1 djs), and he played this song Relax as his record of the week, and as I am a fairly keen dance music fan, it got my attention, he announced it was Mika, who I vaguely remembered was on the listings for Bestival that year. I thought at the time that it must have been the name of a group like Basement Jaxx or Groove Armada, until I heard it again on Jo Whileys show the next day, and she said it was a new singer songwriter, who was emerging from London.

I got into listening to Relax a lot at the time, but as it was on limited release, couldn't get hold of a copy.

Roll on January 2007 and Grace Kelly started to be played heavily by Jo and Scott, again I was hooked. That was when I started to see pictures of Mika, and I was very surprised, he wasn't how I expected him to look at all!

He was a very tall, handsome guy with thick curly hair, not the medium height short haired person I thought he would be.

Still his voice and quirky hooks in his music completely overwhelmed me, and I was a fan from the very start back in 06.

Am I in the Mikasounds, Twitter and Facebook updates thread?

lost-it006.giflostthread.gif

:lmfao:

Well, just to sort of bring it all back on topic... at least, talking about that Facebook update, as we were...

I personally don't like it when the FB page posts something like the sign that says Mika's hot. Or when they post a photo of him with some similar comment. And here's why. :grandma:

Because I think of how it would be if Mika was a woman, and we were all men, drooling over "her". Just imagine. Women everywhere would be outraged. We'd be branded as sexist, misogynistic Neanderthals. A person is surely more than their outward appearance, right? Why would we want to reduce someone to just how sexy they are, as if that even mattered? Haven't we as women strived to overcome this sort of objectification, this backward thinking? Why on Earth would we want to then impose that on another human being? :blink:

Maybe I'm just :old: but that's how I think.

Mika is an attractive man. Without a doubt. I have eyes in my head, I can see it. But do I want to encourage people from all over the world to sit there and just stare at him because of how he LOOKS, hoping that they'll care enough to find out more about him and buy his music? :no:

Anyhow, that's why I don't care for it when people who are supposed to be promoting Mika as an ARTIST, instead portray him as nothing more than a pretty face... or a hot body.

You can justify it all you want, and talk about how it brings people here so that they can learn more about him, but it's not for me. :dunno:

There you have it. The day dcdeb went off the rails. :roll1:

Edited by dcdeb

Just my two cents to Mika's hot discussion

When I found Mika's music (it was quite quickly, bought my first album in march 2007 and the second in september 2009), I abso****ingly didn't care about his look. It didn't matter for me. Tbh, I wasn't interested in him, those first years. I just loved the music.

Then there was the gig in Vienna in march 2010. It changed everything. And I started to find him really handsome.

But what really counts for me is the music. And his shows...and his kind manner, and...

No one seriously falls in love with someone they don't know (IMO anyway). A crush is a temporary and not very serious thing and it can happen even to 4 year olds.

I know, I just wasn't sure which word to use so said "quick falling in love" because many times people imagine they are in love when they have this quick crush. It can happen to people in any age but there's always something romantic in a crush.

But you know the months went on and Mika started changing dramatically much like he has changed this past year. He gained weight, he changed his style, he really started loosening up in his performances. He had sort of been this awkward newborn colt in the beginning, barely able to stand on his legs, but by mid-2007 he was much more self-assured, less awkward.

I so wish I had seen all this!! But I know what you mean, of course I've seen photos and videos of his performances.

Yada yada yada anyway...it is 7 years later so even my ridiculously immature self is 21 now and I am no longer fascinated by Mika's every giggle and wringing my hands with worry over his every sniffle as I'm sure you've all noticed. :mf_rosetinted:

It sounds like those ups and downs people often mention :naughty: I've never experienced that, not if I like someone/something enough (doesn't happen often though). I'm definitely not interested in his every giggle (not sure I ever was) but it's easy for me to be patient if I like someone enough.

Because I think of how it would be if Mika was a woman, and we were all men, drooling over "her". Just imagine. Women everywhere would be outraged. We'd be branded as sexist, misogynistic Neanderthals. A person is surely more than their outward appearance, right? Why would we want to reduce someone to just how sexy they are, as if that even mattered? Haven't we as women strived to overcome this sort of objectification, this backward thinking? Why on Earth would we want to then impose that on another human being? :blink:

I agree with you, Deb. That's exactly what I tried to say earlier. It's offensive to suggest he is just an object with a pretty face. I don't want to spoil it for people who love watching his beautiful pictures (he is beautiful!) but I wish his official FB didn't tag his photos with words like "hot". There are artists who want show an image like that but I never thought Mika is one of them. It's part of his charm that he seems so unaware of his good look (hahah, I'm sure he is aware of it but he doesn't show it).

Edited by tiibet

At the moment I have a crush on

kit-harington-birthday.jpg

First time I saw him. During the Grace Kelly clip they showed at the start of the show I became interested. Then I watched it. The rest is...history!:mf_rosetinted:

[YOUTUBE]-5-0oJalvi0[/YOUTUBE]

First time I saw him. During the Grace Kelly clip they showed at the start of the show I became interested. Then I watched it. The rest is...history!:mf_rosetinted:

[YOUTUBE]-5-0oJalvi0[/YOUTUBE]

:blush-anim-cl: You saw MIKA for the first time 2 days before me!! Funny !! :teehee: For me it was the talkshow "Skavlan" - 9.3.07, a 10 minutes interview, which got me hooked, but I had heard "Grace Kelly" several times on the radio already. It became the most played song on radio here in 2007, and both the single and the alb. LICM got to no. 1 in this country - just like in UK and France! :fisch: Apart from these dates, there's a huge difference - as you've been to tons of gigs, while I've just seen him live twice! :doh: Maybe we'll meet one day ...:wink2:

Love,love

me

First time I saw him. During the Grace Kelly clip they showed at the start of the show I became interested. Then I watched it. The rest is...history!

What???

John Snow was in Grace Kelly clip? Never noticed it!!!

Oh my.

:floor:

Ok. I'm done. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm so glad that finding Mika helped you through that really bad time in your life. Thank you for sharing your story.

Because I think of how it would be if Mika was a woman, and we were all men, drooling over "her". Just imagine. Women everywhere would be outraged. We'd be branded as sexist, misogynistic Neanderthals.

For calling a woman hot and appreciating her looks? I don't think that would happen at all. I have an Adele video on my channel as well and there was actually an interesting discussion about how beautiful she is and there were a couple of men quite smitten with her just as we see with Mika. They weren't vulgar and disrespectful about it and compared to some of the rude things that people will say about her size I found it quite touching.

Of course there are some really disrespectful people who tweet explicit things to Mika that no normal human being would ever say to a stranger. And I also find it a bit gross when women my age are saying lustful things. But back in 1982 no one I knew used the word "hot", men were "cute" or "gorgeous". If 16 year olds were making signs that said "Mika is gorgeous", would that really be so offensive?

Mika is an attractive man. Without a doubt. I have eyes in my head, I can see it. But do I want to encourage people from all over the world to sit there and just stare at him because of how he LOOKS, hoping that they'll care enough to find out more about him and buy his music? :no:

Isn't this Mika's strategy though? He needs to give people something other than posing on TV non stop for that to happen. It's all well and good for the handful of people here to put themselves forward as an example that Mika has shown he has more to offer. But all you have to do is read the comments of "I love you" and "you're so hot" all over Twitter, YT, FB to know that is not the effect on the majority. My timeline, Mika's timeline, just non stop pics of Mika. FB gets the most likes with hot pics of Mika.

The most disappointing thing about the FB post to me is that it is just a sign of the (Mika) times since there is no music to talk about. And even if he does get himself involved in some smaller more dignified projects like Dario Fo, this is never going to have the same mass appeal as music does and many will still only be interested in watching and sharing screencaps etc. because they want to moon over his pretty face or his new suit or his latest hairstyle.

I don't mind that Mika's FB posts a lot of beautiful photos of him, I expect them to do it. I love beautiful photos. I don't even mind them pointing out they are beautiful, it only sounds they are proud of him and it's a fact. He looks gorgeous, I sometimes even tell that in comments. Also, I don't mind them telling about his style, I was looking forward to every new Valentino suit, I took it as a detail and a show element (I actually really liked those suits).

But there's a big difference if his FB tags him "hot" because it makes him look like a sex object and it's just not his style, imo. Also, even he looks pretty people can still se his personality, he is not empty inside, he is an interesting and talented artist. It's all about words and tones we (or his FB) use or encourage people to use.

But there's a big difference if his FB tags him "hot" because it makes him look like a sex object and it's just not his style, imo. Also, even he looks pretty people can still se his personality, he is not empty inside, he is an interesting and talented artist. It's all about words and tones we (or his FB) use or encourage people to use.

I don't equate "hot" or "sexy" with someone being empty inside. Honestly I think Mika being on a reality TV show is worse for his image as a musician and an artist than people thinking he's sexy. George Michael was a huge sex symbol and it never did him any harm.