Mika and Dario Fo on "Francesco. Lo Santo Jullare" - RAI1 (Italian TV) 22nd June 2014

Lucrezia

Can I just say a huuuuuge thank you to the Italian team for all the transcriptions, translations, and now even a video with subtitles, I loved watching it thanks to you. You are amazing!!!

Girls, you deserve standing ovation!

Standing-ovation-o.gif

Let me add my thanks and congratulations to all of you involved. I'm sure it was a massive effort and I really appreciate it! :flowers2:

Girls, you deserve standing ovation!

Standing-ovation-o.gif

:thumb_yello: INDEED !!! :wub2: Thanks a million for your amazing work, and for using your time - such a huge work, to please all of us MFCers :huglove: MIKA ought to be SO proud of you all :mikadas:

Love,love

me

I suppose I'm in :aah:

:wink2:

I know it's not your cup of tea to translate but I love it, so would you be able to take the original video in Italian and add the subtitles in French, as I'm absolutely not tech enough to do it? (and also upload it?)

I know it's not your cup of tea to translate but I love it, so would you be able to take the original video in Italian and add the subtitles in French, as I'm absolutely not tech enough to do it? (and also upload it?)

Sure. Don't know how to do it yet, but I will find (will ask to Der Moment / Elwendin / Eriko / Melyssa / anyone who is better than me :wink2:).

By the time you will be finished with the translation I will have found how to do :wink2:

Edited by Alireine

Sure. Don't know how to do it yet, but I will find (will ask to Der Moment / Elwendin / Eriko / anyone who is better than me :wink2:).

By the time you will be finished with the translation I will have found how to do :wink2:

That's a deal :thumb_yello:

Sure. Don't know how to do it yet, but I will find (will ask to Der Moment / Elwendin / Eriko / Melyssa / anyone who is better than me :wink2:).

If you need anyone to revise/proofread, I'm in:thumb_yello:

I finally watched again the conversation WITH subtitles this time, and I could much better understand of course, thank you again :thumb_yello:

The descriptions, explanations of Dario are actually not very clear imo, I'm not surprised that Mika was lost :naughty: It's more as if he was giving "hints" for a more deep conversation to come later (or not :teehee:).

It was very interesting for me to hear Mika's position about religion, especially because I'm a "believer" myself. He seemed quite sincere when talking about the church "protecting" him, or telling that he often goes there when he needs to think a bit...

And everytime he talked about the contradiction in the Church or with the Pope, we could feel that it was really something important for him and quite painful. Did you feel that too?

But one thing quite disturbed me, it is that they were always talking about the Church, and not about God, even while explaining why they were or weren't believer. That's quite strange for me :wink2:

But I really loved that conversation, I wish we could have more "interviews" or conversations like this, and getting to know more about Mika and his thoughts this way :wub2:

I finally watched again the conversation WITH subtitles this time, and I could much better understand of course, thank you again :thumb_yello:

The descriptions, explanations of Dario are actually not very clear imo, I'm not surprised that Mika was lost :naughty: It's more as if he was giving "hints" for a more deep conversation to come later (or not :teehee:).

It was very interesting for me to hear Mika's position about religion, especially because I'm a "believer" myself. He seemed quite sincere when talking about the church "protecting" him, or telling that he often goes there when he needs to think a bit...

And everytime he talked about the contradiction in the Church or with the Pope, we could feel that it was really something important for him and quite painful. Did you feel that too?

But one thing quite disturbed me, it is that they were always talking about the Church, and not about God, even while explaining why they were or weren't believer. That's quite strange for me :wink2:

But I really loved that conversation, I wish we could have more "interviews" or conversations like this, and getting to know more about Mika and his thoughts this way :wub2:

I agree with you. I'm a Christian myself. Alan and I used to go to church until very recently. I feel, however, that God's church has been corrupted by man.

There are several reasons why Alan and I have dropped out of organized religion. One of the biggest reasons why, is their stand against gay people.

One time recently, our pastor said gay people need to go and get treatment for it. It's some kind of disorder, like a mental illness. Alan and I strongly disagreed, but the pastor is also a doctor, and reckoned he knows best.

He is of the opinion that gay people will corrupt his children, and also try and make HIM gay. Nothing Alan and I said could convince him otherwise.

I've prayed about it, and listened for God's voice in my head, and as He is my witness, I firmly believe people like Mika are not offending him.

People who sleep around, people who are unfaithful to their partners, whatever their sexuality, are offending God. Unnatural relationships can mean anything, but if two men, or two women, are in love and want to express their love, for them, it's a perfectly natural thing.

The Bible says nothing about Homosexuality in terms of loving relationships. It speaks of lust, or forms of rape (conquering soldiers used to rape men, and women as a form of humiliation, or anal sex used to happen in pagan rituals as part of the rite) that's nothing to do with homosexuality.

I do believe the church has become corrupt. I'm really sad for people like Mika. It needs for Christians to stand up for gay people and not let these churches get away with treating a group of people that way.

I really hope this pope grows a pair, and makes some positive changes.

I think that Mika and Dario were just talking about this. On the one hand there is the Christian message, the true essence, the true roots of the message of Christ: tolerance, compassion, joy of life, humility, learning how to be together. On the other hand, there's the superstructure: power, corruption, ignorance, fear, centuries and centuries of human history, which led the Church far away from the original and powerful message, a message that is becoming more and more difficult to maintain alive.

And this is a huge problem. They were just saying this: that it is a huge problem, because the "essence" of Christianity, the true message of Christ continues to attract them and other people into the Church... but at the same time, all these rules and contradictions, reject them out. :aah: :aah:

I think it was also the thought of Saint Francis and it has been over the years also the message of Dario Fo. Both in their time, they were two "dangerous" men ...always looking for the essence of things...and no fear to scream it.

They screamed it for their entire life :wink2:

Edited by Marta.

I think that Mika and Dario were just talking about this. On the one hand there is the Christian message, the true essence, the true roots of the message of Christ: tolerance, compassion, joy of life, humility, learning how to be together. On the other hand, there's the superstructure: power, corruption, ignorance, fear, centuries and centuries of human history, which led the Church far away from the original and powerful message, a message that is becoming more and more difficult to maintain alive.

And this is a huge problem. They were just saying this: that it is a huge problem, because the "essence" of Christianity, the true message of Christ continues to attract them and other people into the Church... but at the same time, all these rules and contradictions, reject them out. :aah: :aah:

I think it was also the thought of Saint Francis and it has been over the years also the message of Dario Fo. Both in their time, they were two "dangerous" men ...always looking for the essence of things...and no fear to scream it.

Jesus taught about love, and warned us not to judge. He died that all may be saved.

That is the essence of the Christian message.

Alan and I got sick of the judgemental, self-righteous, attitude in churches. We stuck it out for a long time, hoping to change their minds by giving our point of view, "that gay people are born that way and Leviticus talks about many things being wrong." Why only focus on one bit, that isn't even about loving relationships between gay people, but about lust and pagan rituals?

The thing about The Bible is, for one thing, it's a translated text, translated by people, and you also have to look at what was happening at the time the books were written. There were pagan rituals which included people behaving against their nature. That was wrong. But as I said in my last post, it is natural for a gay person to fall for their own gender. Anything else is wrong for them, hence the Billy Brown scenario of the family man leaving his wife and kids. This wouldn't happen if society and the church would just let people love who they're meant to love.

I couldn't sleep with a woman, because it's not my nature. If someone tried to tell me it was wrong to love my Alan, I couldn't leave Alan and marry a girl.

That's how the church should think of it. What if it was the other way around and it was considered a sin for them to be with their wives. They had to leave their relationship and enter a gay one with a man?

Alan and I have often had discussions about Homosexuality with other Christians, but they don't accept any other point of view. It's so entrenched in their minds that being gay is a sin.

But actually, we're all sinners in one way or another. None of us is perfect, but only God should judge humanity.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I enjoyed hearing the talk about his beliefs, even as a non-religious person. I don't mind religion as long as it's not being pushed into my life, with someone telling me I will go to Hades if I don't believe as they do. Many are raised in faith - I know I was - and simply accept it, without really exploring why they believe as they do. I may not be a believer any more, but I realize that we all have our own journeys in life, and all of our choices are not going to be the same. Right? Wrong? I suspect that depends on your perspective.

I lost a lot of the faith I used to have when I saw so much hypocrisy and judgment taking place. The God I grew up knowing was a god of love, not condemnation and hatred of others. Being bullied for years by so-called Christians didn't help much either.

I agree with you. I'm a Christian myself. Alan and I used to go to church until very recently. I feel, however, that God's church has been corrupted by man.

There are several reasons why Alan and I have dropped out of organized religion. One of the biggest reasons why, is their stand against gay people.

One time recently, our pastor said gay people need to go and get treatment for it. It's some kind of disorder, like a mental illness. Alan and I strongly disagreed, but the pastor is also a doctor, and reckoned he knows best.

He is of the opinion that gay people will corrupt his children, and also try and make HIM gay. Nothing Alan and I said could convince him otherwise.

I've prayed about it, and listened for God's voice in my head, and as He is my witness, I firmly believe people like Mika are not offending him.

People who sleep around, people who are unfaithful to their partners, whatever their sexuality, are offending God. Unnatural relationships can mean anything, but if two men, or two women, are in love and want to express their love, for them, it's a perfectly natural thing.

The Bible says nothing about Homosexuality in terms of loving relationships. It speaks of lust, or forms of rape (conquering soldiers used to rape men, and women as a form of humiliation, or anal sex used to happen in pagan rituals as part of the rite) that's nothing to do with homosexuality.

I do believe the church has become corrupt. I'm really sad for people like Mika. It needs for Christians to stand up for gay people and not let these churches get away with treating a group of people that way.I really hope this pope grows a pair, and makes some positive changes.

I was on holiday last week, and I was able to watch the whole Dario Fo-Mika conversation only yesterday.

I’m still moved by Mika’s statement about not being religious “because of who I am”: I think he’s still struggling between his need to be accepted and loved and his awareness of Catholic Church rules.

Now, I’m not religious but I’ve been raised in a Catholic environment and I think it’s really sad that (a lot of) priests still focus such a big part of their energies on people’s sexual behaviours (not only against gays, if you just think about the birth control or the AIDS exposure issues but I could add more topics), while the core of Christ’s message is just to love each other, not to judge and remind that every human being is created as an image of God itself.

It really makes me sad seeing a young guy, who is in love and has a stable relationship, who feels rejected because he’s not compliant to religious rules totally created by men.

I don’t know exactly if the Bible and the Gospel openly speak about homosexuality as a sin, but as matter of fact the Scripture are written by men and are full of outdated notions. If we are meant to read about Adam and Eve as a rhetorical tale, then I feel authorized to give a new interpretation on all the statements about sex. Not to mention all the situations within the Bible itself which are clearly not allowed by the Church teaching (Jacob giving birth to a son with a housemaid, Loth sleeping with his daughters and probably other more that I cannot recall at the moment).

I hope Mika eventually gets rid of his burdens, he has nothing to be ashamed of and he deserves to be at ease with his own nature. And his partner deserves to enjoy a happy and free relationship as well.

Unfortunately the situation in Italy is far more complicated because of the Vatican and also because people tend to mix religion to national identity.

I was in Assisi and then in La Verna last week and I bet poor Francis would not be happy of today's economic exploitation on his life and teachings. His message has been completely distorted :tears:

I’m still moved by Mika’s statement about not being religious “because of who I am”: I think he’s still struggling between his need to be accepted and loved and his awareness of Catholic Church rules.

Now, I’m not religious but I’ve been raised in a Catholic environment and I think it’s really sad that (a lot of) priests still focus such a big part of their energies on people’s sexual behaviours (not only against gays, if you just think about the birth control or the AIDS exposure issues but I could add more topics), while the core of Christ’s message is just to love each other, not to judge and remind that every human being is created as an image of God itself.

It really makes me sad seeing a young guy, who is in love and has a stable relationship, who feels rejected because he’s not compliant to religious rules totally created by men.

I don’t know exactly if the Bible and the Gospel openly speak about homosexuality as a sin, but as matter of fact the Scripture are written by men and are full of outdated notions. If we are meant to read about Adam and Eve as a rhetorical tale, then I feel authorized to give a new interpretation on all the statements about sex. Not to mention all the situations within the Bible itself which are clearly not allowed by the Church teaching (Jacob giving birth to a son with a housemaid, Loth sleeping with his daughters and probably other more that I cannot recall at the moment).

I hope Mika eventually gets rid of his burdens, he has nothing to be ashamed of and he deserves to be at ease with his own nature. And his partner deserves to enjoy a happy and free relationship as well.

Unfortunately the situation in Italy is far more complicated because of the Vatican and also because people tend to mix religion to national identity.

I was in Assisi and then in La Verna last week and I bet poor Francis would not be happy of today's economic exploitation on his life and teachings. His message has been completely distorted :tears:

I felt much the same. It must be hard to be so internally conflicted, simply because you love someone differently than the way that your faith says is acceptable. As a longtime ally, I can only imagine what people go through in this situation.

I enjoyed hearing the talk about his beliefs, even as a non-religious person. I don't mind religion as long as it's not being pushed into my life, with someone telling me I will go to Hades if I don't believe as they do. Many are raised in faith - I know I was - and simply accept it, without really exploring why they believe as they do. I may not be a believer any more, but I realize that we all have our own journeys in life, and all of our choices are not going to be the same. Right? Wrong? I suspect that depends on your perspective.

I lost a lot of the faith I used to have when I saw so much hypocrisy and judgment taking place. The God I grew up knowing was a god of love, not condemnation and hatred of others. Being bullied for years by so-called Christians didn't help much either.

Exactly my point too. People who would join a church are put off by the hypocrisy.

For one thing, the church is too obsessed with sex, no matter who is doing it.

Alan and I also got upset because we've often felt left out of things. The people in churches are often, what the British call, middle class. This is doctors, lawyers, accountants, people like that, with professional careers, cars, big houses. We never really fitted in because we weren't the right sort. It wasn't that they were nasty, but they were dismissive of us. Alan used to be a binman (someone who collects the refuse and takes it to the tip in a wagon) to many people it's considered low on the scale of desirable jobs.

But someone has to do it, and Alan did the job well.

I used to work in a factory. I was a bench worker. I assembled electronic devices. But I had no formal qualifications.

The people at church used to treat us like we had no brains. They treated us like children and we were never included in anything that happened outside of the church. We'd hear about outings, spar holidays, different things, but no one invited us. It used to really hurt.

There are many hypocrisies in churches that we've come across. I haven't mentioned them all or I'd be writing a book, but suffice it to say, church isn't the loving, caring place that Jesus wanted it to be.

Exactly my point too. People who would join a church are put off by the hypocrisy.

Alan and I also got upset because we've often felt left out of things. The people in churches are often, what the British call, middle class. This is doctors, lawyers, accountants, people like that, with professional careers, cars, big houses. We never really fitted in because we weren't the right sort. It wasn't that they were nasty, but they were dismissive of us. Alan used to be a binman (someone who collects the refuse and takes it to the tip in a wagon) to many people it's considered low on the scale of desirable jobs.

I used to work in a factory. I was a bench worker. I assembled electronic devices. But I had no formal qualifications.

The people at church used to treat us like we had no brains. They treated us like children and we were never included in anything that happened outside of the church. We'd hear about outings, spar holidays, different things, but no one invited us. It used to really hurt.

There are many hypocrisies in churches that we've come across. I haven't mentioned them all or I'd be writing a book, but suffice it to say, church isn't the loving, caring place that Jesus wanted it to be.

I think churches are very different, depending on the place you live: I lived once in a quite expensive area, church was full of quite rich people (with lovely old ladies, they were really nice to me actually :teehee:), then I moved to another city, in a cheaper neighbourhood, with many people from all countries. And our church is exactly like that, very multicultural, open to dialog... When I married to my (ex)husband, who is muslim, the priest was really nice to me, we talked a lot about that and he was really open-minded, never judging me. And I really think the priests of our church are not judging, that is what is the most important for me. Of course, they tell us that there are rules, but you don't feel like you are "WRONG" :wink2:

I will tell Mika and Dario to come to my church :mf_rosetinted: Mass will be much more fun with them around :naughty:

:thumb_yello:

I deeply respect religious feelings whenever they are real, but I absolutely cannot stand the idea of someone else telling me what's right or wrong in my life.

I understand every single word you say: I come from a working class family and my parents were determined to give my sister and me a good instruction because they didn't want us to be underestimated or isolated as they felt they were

I think churches are very different, depending on the place you live: I lived once in a quite expensive area, church was full of quite rich people (with lovely old ladies, they were really nice to me actually :teehee:), then I moved to another city, in a cheaper neighbourhood, with many people from all countries. And our church is exactly like that, very multicultural, open to dialog... When I married to my (ex)husband, who is muslim, the priest was really nice to me, we talked a lot about that and he was really open-minded, never judging me. And I really think the priests of our church are not judging, that is what is the most important for me. Of course, they tell us that there are rules, but you don't feel like you are "WRONG" :wink2:

I will tell Mika and Dario to come to my church :mf_rosetinted: Mass will be much more fun with them around :naughty:

I think that most of the priests in the parishes are tolerant, because they are used to live among real people with a real life and actual problems, but I'm not sure this makes things easier for some categories (be it gay or divorced people, or women) because they may perceive tolerance as personal attitude by a specific person while institutions still neglect them

:thumb_yello:

I deeply respect religious feelings whenever they are real, but I absolutely cannot stand the idea of someone else telling me what's right or wrong in my life.

I understand every single word you say: I come from a working class family and my parents were determined to give my sister and me a good instruction because they didn't want us to be underestimated or isolated as they felt they were

I think that most of the priests in the parishes are tolerant, because they are used to live among real people with a real life and actual problems, but I'm not sure this makes things easier for some categories (be it gay or divorced people, or women) because they may perceive tolerance as personal attitude by a specific person while institutions still neglect them

Sometimes change needs to come from the top of the hierarchy. For example, if Pope Francis, or The Archbishop of Canterbury would speak up about the intolerance and prejudices in the church, the priests would probably take more notice.

They tend to follow blindly, what their bosses are saying. Expecting them to be the only ones with knowledge of what God really wants. But actually, everyone has the same direct line to the Almighty. The priests, vicars, pastors, are not Devine. They are humans like the rest of us.

The pastor I mentioned earlier, who said gay people should be treated for it, said that if a gay person came into the church, he or she would be welcomed. But then we would all pray together for the person to be cured. We would get them to seek help.

What gay person would set foot in a church, knowing what was in store for them. How humiliating and unnecessary!

It's not just about being gay though. I'm disabled! The number of people who say that disability is connected to sin, and if I believed enough, I would be healed! If I believed their BS I'd be deeply depressed, but I don't. I believe whatever obstacles we go through, build our characters and, as the Bible states. People need to take the planks out of their own eyes, before searching for specks in someone else's.

I had a similar reaction. I found his thoughts really touching and I felt ashamed I hadn't realized how much it must mean to him and how hurt he feels. I'm not religious myself at all, maybe a bit spiritual and love churches as calm places and like some religious traditions because they bring people together. I'm still moved after hearing his words.

Sometimes change needs to come from the top of the hierarchy. For example, if Pope Francis, or The Archbishop of Canterbury would speak up about the intolerance and prejudices in the church, the priests would probably take more notice.

They tend to follow blindly, what their bosses are saying. Expecting them to be the only ones with knowledge of what God really wants. But actually, everyone has the same direct line to the Almighty. The priests, vicars, pastors, are not Devine. They are humans like the rest of us.

The pastor I mentioned earlier, who said gay people should be treated for it, said that if a gay person came into the church, he or she would be welcomed. But then we would all pray together for the person to be cured. We would get them to seek help.

What gay person would set foot in a church, knowing what was in store for them. How humiliating and unnecessary!

It's not just about being gay though. I'm disabled! The number of people who say that disability is connected to sin, and if I believed enough, I would be healed! If I believed their BS I'd be deeply depressed, but I don't. I believe whatever obstacles we go through, build our characters and, as the Bible states. People need to take the planks out of their own eyes, before searching for specks in someone else's.

:thumb_yello: You're a very wise woman Marilyn! :wub2: After listening to what MIKA said during the conversation with Dario Fo, about being religious or not, and looking at his face while talking, the lyrics of some songs got an even stronger meaning than before - and I had to think about one of my favs. "Toy Boy" - the whole lyric is so amazing, and sad - "it's a serious thing in a grown-up world, maybe you'd be better with a Barbie girl". I do hope MIKA feels more free and happy nowadays, than he surely did, while writing this song ...:blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me