2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

I travelled from Liverpool to London for Mika's show on Saturday I enjoyed the meet up and Mika's show was amazing show was worth the 3 year wait. was disappointed he couldn't meet n greet for longer but that wasn't Mika's fault though. the venue security did ask people to make space for him to be able to walk through nobody moved, I think it was because awkward as wasn't really space to line up or anything cos was so narrow and the road there to. got to say quick hi to Mika and he shook my hand and said hi to me that it was nice to see me again so that's really nice of him. soon after though I was got pushed by a few behind me and actually nearly fell over kerb do have dyspraxia though so my balance not always good didn't like one security man as he had arm around my neck I told him get off as felt too tight he did have other arm blocking 2 other girls from pushing I have a mild form of autism so don't really like people grabbing me or pushing but people get excited so that's ok. I hope he does more things in the UK as missed his shows here a lot.

• Like 3

So why not take a chance that it could work in London as well?  I'm sure there were also people in the Adelphi who were very glad that they could hear a live performance of BBB (as I was in Amsterdam).

Because it didn't go over well in New York either. If you are Dutch or Korean Mika is already a foreign language artist, to us he is not. When I first discovered Mika I had no idea that he even spoke French and, despite his later propaganda where he claimed he "always wanted to make French music", it was almost 5 years before he expressed any interest at all in making non English music. For many years and two albums he was a British artist singing English music and London is his home gig. Why is it so absurd to expect him to sing Rain (or any one of a dozen popular English songs) instead of a song that is not on any of his albums because even the record company has deemed it is not for UK audiences?

He bends over backwards to cater to local people everywhere except his home gig. And he knows they are not open to it. He prefaced the song by explaining some of the words and promising it was the only French song he would do. Why? If you know they don't know the song and will not understand it and are going to balk at the idea of multiple French songs during a gig then why go down that route? What is the point?

I'm a bit late (and will be even later) but I have some videos I'm going to post.

My seat was row N so the videos are not the best ones (I saw wonderful ones here), but still...

Thank you everyone who posted vids, pics and reports, it feels so good to read about the show, even though I was there too.

Everything was perfect: The MFC meetup (thank you for organizing it so perfectly), the fanactions, the show, the waiting after the show,... :wub:

I'll write my report and post my vids next week because I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow and I don't have a lot of time now.

I won't post my pics because they are blurred, I was too far away and a lot of fans posted awesome ones!

• Like 3

Because it didn't go over well in New York either. If you are Dutch or Korean Mika is already a foreign language artist, to us he is not. When I first discovered Mika I had no idea that he even spoke French and, despite his later propaganda where he claimed he "always wanted to make French music", it was almost 5 years before he expressed any interest at all in making non English music. For many years and two albums he was a British artist singing English music and London is his home gig. Why is it so absurd to expect him to sing Rain (or any one of a dozen popular English songs) instead of a song that is not on any of his albums because even the record company has deemed it is not for UK audiences?

He bends over backwards to cater to local people everywhere except his home gig. And he knows they are not open to it. He prefaced the song by explaining some of the words and promising it was the only French song he would do. Why? If you know they don't know the song and will not understand it and are going to balk at the idea of multiple French songs during a gig then why go down that route? What is the point?

It's not absurd to expect him to sing Rain. It just didn't happen because it's also not absurd of him to try a song that has been a public's favourite in his last shows. Especially not because he clearly loves making a whole act out of it and probably hoped that that act would also conquer the English fans.

The explaining of the words is part of the performance. He did it everywhere. The clip of BBB in Amsterdam had so many hits because of the interaction with a young fan that he used as a translator. Mika likes to be playful with words and movements on stage and this song is perfect for that. Okay, it didn't work so well in London (and in New York). Perhaps he gives up now and will not do it again which is a pity for some English people that can't travel to the rest of Europe to hear his french songs. But it sure will be a blessing for others. ;)

Edited by Pascale

Perhaps he gives up now and will not do it again which is a pity for some English people that can't travel to the rest of Europe to hear his french songs. But it sure will be a blessing for others. ;)

I am sure BBB will be long forgotten everywhere by the time he performs in the UK again. But I expect it will be replaced by yet another lame Doriand song. I now know that I can't go anywhere without having these songs I refuse to buy rammed down my throat and since I do not want to spend a gig in the toilets or heckling Mika I am just going to stay home.

I actually like Mika's French BBB songs and L'Amour and didn't mind him singing the BBB song if he had sang loads of French song wouldn't of liked that too much but 1 or 2 is ok.

• Like 3

I am sure BBB will be long forgotten everywhere by the time he performs in the UK again. But I expect it will be replaced by yet another lame Doriand song. I now know that I can't go anywhere without having these songs I refuse to buy rammed down my throat and since I do not want to spend a gig in the toilets or heckling Mika I am just going to stay home.

I chose the heckling route :fisch:

• Like 1

Here is my little (edit : long XD) contribution about this show.. I haven't posted reports for all the gigs I've been to recently but really wanted to say a few words on this one as it was so different.

I arrived in London on Sunday morning with other French fans from Paris. We had a very nice walk around the venue, from Covent Garden to Big Ben. My trip was already worth it up to that point :biggrin2: After getting prepared for the evening we went down to the bar where the MFC meeting was held. Thank you Deb for organising this, I'm really glad I attended, saw so many familiar faces and I felt I was where I belonged. Was particularly happy to meet Deb and Christine for the first time :)

I was in a perfect mood for the gig, it was actually hard to realise we were even going to see a Mika gig.. Because of the no queueing of course, but also because being in London with fan friends was already quite the adventure in itself.

Finally it was time for the show, Citizens first, really enjoyed their set throughout the tour and thought back to the first time I saw them and was a bit nostalgic already.. And then Mika. I was row N in stalls and I was a bit scared that we would stay seated all night or so. I was relieved when with Big Girl the whole area was standing up already! I was even surprised that during a few songs the whole back of the stalls was still standing up while first 10 rows were seating. It's like we were front rows for a bit :P I had the time of my life as always at Mika shows, dancing and jumping like I would do in any standing venue. The difference was that I could see more of the reaction from the crowd in front, and although I would not choose to do it normally because the view of the stage is obviously obstructed, I really enjoyed watching you all :biggrin2: Mika was great, I've seen him crazier and funnier but I could feel this was a 'serious' important show for him and musically I loved every single part of it (which is still the main thing fortunately) I was completely moved by OMS that I had only heard at my first gig and was so looking forward to hearing again; I remember being speechless and looking at ppl around me with disbelief back then.. I was not so surprised by his talent this time as I kind of know the guy a bit more :P but this really was a highlight once more and gave me chills. Just like Happy Ending a cappella :wub2: (I'll never get over this)

All the songs from NPIH I loved so much all along this tour and I really hoped this wouldn't be the last time I hear them. I even like SATS so much now! Hurts in its new version was very enjoyable as well, nice treat for the last show. BBB I used to dislike in its radio version last year but really started to like in its new NPIH version and now love live. I can understand that some were disappointed he would choose to sing it, first if he had to pick one French song I would have thought it'd be EMD. But I think he's really into this idea that the phrase 'Boum boum boum' is international and doesn't need translating and I have the impression he's quite 'proud' of it :teehee: And about the fact that he actually chose to sing in French, well I think I might not like it so much if he started singing in Italian in Paris so I understand all points of view. But at the same time from my point of view I feel like he truly wants to sing in French everywhere and it shows that what he repeats in French interviews about French being a part of him is not just words for pandering :dunno: What I find strange is that he almost excused himself by saying this would be the only French song that night. I don't know, either you go for it and sing as many French songs as you like or you know it won't be welcome and maybe choose not to do it. Really sounds like it was his guilty pleasure of the night (which I find maybe not effective professionally speaking but cute BTW :P)

After the gig we stayed a while in front of the theatre and then at the back. That's where I was when he came out. Just saw the top of his head from where I was but I thought it's nice to come and say bye at one side before leaving at the other :)

I left London the following evening with regret, regret not to be able to stay longer.. Next time Mika stops in London again, I might be up for it :original:

• Like 5

It's not absurd to expect him to sing Rain. It just didn't happen because it's also not absurd of him to try a song that has been a public's favourite in his last shows. Especially not because he clearly loves making a whole act out of it and probably hoped that that act would also conquer the English fans.

The explaining of the words is part of the performance. He did it everywhere. The clip of BBB in Amsterdam had so many hits because of the interaction with a young fan that he used as a translator. Mika likes to be playful with words and movements on stage and this song is perfect for that. Okay, it didn't work so well in London (and in New York). Perhaps he gives up now and will not do it again which is a pity for some English people that can't travel to the rest of Europe to hear his french songs. But it sure will be a blessing for others. ;)

:ot: Can you provide a link to that clip please :puppy_eyes:

Hello :biggrin2:

RL has been very busy for me since Sunday so this is my first visit to MFC.

Great to read all the reports and see the pics. Will catch up on the vids when I can. Thanks to everyone for sharing :huglove:

This was the first Mika tour that I have had to wait until the very last gig to see the show and it was driving me nuts. But it was fantastic.

So great to see so many old faces... But was sad to miss some too.

Thanks so much to Deb for organising the meet up... It was great.

Thanks also to everyone who organised the fan actions - they were very successful.

Thanks to Marilyn for the badges... Very kind of you. :huglove:

I loved the gig. Abby and I were in row C dress circle ( thanks Theresa for the tickets which turned out to be great ;)) Melody had a very tall person in Front of her and so did I, Mika's brother! Although he swapped seats and was then in front of Abby. Yes, the rest of the family were in a box to the side of the stage.

It was a pleasure to make the badges. It made me feel like I was a part of it all.

• Like 3

I wasn't at this show, but by reading this thread and all of it's lovely reviews, videos, pictures, controversies, etc.....I got a true sense of the feel of this last show of the tour and could feel the Mika Love from across the Atlantic. Thanks everyone for posting! :what:

• Like 1

:thumb_yello: Yes, indeed!  I liked BM as an important member of The Queen.  But after he went backstage to congratulate MIKA with a great show, and gave him a lot of credit for "Toy Boy" - many years ago, I started to really LOVE the man... :naughty:  :wub:  And it's fantastic that he appreciates "Last Party" - as much as he obviously does... :fisch: It must have been a very special experience - with this last performance of the wonderful  song, and pic of FM held up,  at Adelphi Theatre... :)  

Love,love

me 

• Like 1

I loved every minute of it, though I'd have liked him to do Rio. I also thought there was a naturalness about the whole thing - thought it about the album, but more live - that he's not hiding himself behind eccentricity any more. Also, the evening seemed to be much more about singing and music than previously (apart from with the King's singers), although he's still the outstanding performer he always was - maybe better.

I loved all the piano bits, the accappello bits, and Over My Shoulder. I thought his banter was funny and charming, I was pleased that there were bits where I could watch and listen to Mika rather than to singing and dancing fans as well as dancey bits.

I had a really good view (stalls row N, behind children) but - my only quibble - I found the sound quality poor and couldn't make out the lyrics, to the point that I didn't recognise some songs until he got to the chorus.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, I've been watching the vids and am still on a Mika high.

So thanks to everyone who's posted vids, pics, reports, and especially the set list. Thanks also to Deb for the great fun meet up beforehand. And I wish I could have seen the flags from the front.

• Like 6

A few words from me about the BBB discussion. In one point I agree with Christine: that Mika does everything to please the crowd in most countries. In amsterdam he sang in dutch, in france, italy and spain he speaks the language at gigs (at least a little bit in spain). Tbh, i was disappointed that at the only gig in the german speaking area, in zurich, he didn't even know the german words for "my german is not so good" anymore, which i think he has said at every gig in german-speaking areas so far. In the earlier days, he always said a few sentences in the local language, wherever it was. But in zurich now he chose to speak a mix between english and french, sometimes saying everything in both languages, sometimes using just one. I felt betrayed, because i had hoped (and knew from previous german-swiss gigs) he wouldn't speak french in an area where it isn't the main language. No idea if the german-swiss people minded, i don't know any except daeni, and she wasn't there. Anyway, french or not, i hated it that he hadn't even bothered to learn that one german sentence again for the gig, if he has forgotten it.

Now back to the topic, london... i'm not british and i've accepted over the last few years that mika isn't just a british artist anymore but that it makes my life as a fan easier to accept him talking and singing in other languages too, instead of trying to fight or to ignore it. Which ofc isn't the case for everyone, especially those who are not that interested in following most of his interviews etc.. so i understand jemma's point that if you still see him as a british artist, you won't be happy about a french song in london. There are british fans tho who didn't mind, or even liked, him doing BBB, and i don't think all of them follow his international career as closely as i do. You could also say about promiseland that it's just a bonus track, so why does he do it. He knows many of his fans like it, and maybe hopes other random gig-goers might like it too, when they hear it live. I don't know what his obsession with BBB is, but ever since it was released, tho it wasn't really a hit even in france, i got the impression that he loves this song for some reason. Maybe it's what camille said in her post above, that he likes the idea so much that "boum boum boum" has such an international meaning, in his opinion (but tbh, without the context of the other french words in the song, or his performance, cover artwork or videoclip, i'm not sure i'd have understood it...). Don't know if there was any gig since the release of the song where he didn't play it? :dunno: at least he did at all the gigs i went to, including italy, where i wouldn't have expected any french songs either.

Maybe to him playing a french song in the uk is as "punk" as playing billy brown in russia... if he ever got bullied as a kid in the uk for his french accent or french background, this might be his way to say 'see, i can get away with it!'. - it might not be what most of his uk audience likes, but i'm sure he knows this (last time at the roundhouse i wasn't sure, but now i am), and that he does it anyway probably means that he won't listen, whatever some people might say. For some reason, it's more important to him than the risk of disappointing anyone in the audience. :dunno:

Personally, i don't mind bbb - although there are a lot of songs i'd prefer to hear instead of it, but the same goes for over my shoulder. For me, it's just a question of my personal perfect setlist, which even might include 1-2 french songs, but not bbb. I'm just glad he didn't do that l'amour song - which might have nice lyrics, but the music is just... well, he even had to defend the song in luxemburg, guess that says it all. :teehee:

And I wish I could have seen the flags from the front.

I've found one photo online of the flags sort of from the front, looking back toward the audience -- it's not the best, but it's better than nothing. Sorry, I've forgotten whose FB I found it on...

12122795_10153307495253040_8950162889850473924_n.jpg

• Like 3

I loved every minute of it, though I'd have liked him to do Rio. I also thought there was a naturalness about the whole thing - thought it about the album, but more live - that he's not hiding himself behind eccentricity any more. Also, the evening seemed to be much more about singing and music than previously (apart from with the King's singers), although he's still the outstanding performer he always was - maybe better.

I loved all the piano bits, the accappello bits, and Over My Shoulder. I thought his banter was funny and charming, I was pleased that there were bits where I could watch and listen to Mika rather than to singing and dancing fans as well as dancey bits.

I had a really good view (stalls row N, behind children) but - my only quibble - I found the sound quality poor and couldn't make out the lyrics, to the point that I didn't recognise some songs until he got to the chorus.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, I've been watching the vids and am still on a Mika high.

So thanks to everyone who's posted vids, pics, reports, and especially the set list. Thanks also to Deb for the great fun meet up beforehand. And I wish I could have seen the flags from the front.

I agree - there was definitely more quality singing and less running about :teehee: but the sound was really bad - I was too near a speaker which was distorting the bass and vibrating :aah:

Here's my vids, that uploaded during the night: https://www.youtube.com/user/mellody76/videos

like i said, it's most of the talking bits. And some whole songs plus a bit of the fan actions, which I'll post here individually:

npih:

bit of TAY with houses/stars:

good guys:

talk & lollipop:

talk & OMS:

Hurts:

end of the show with flags:

My hair looks amazing from the back.