Have you met/spent time with Mika? AKA The Really Really Really Lucky Person's Thread

QueenBigFat

1 hour ago, QueenBigFat said:

Yeah, I also tried to upload a picture of my rescue dog as my official photo (he is ever so much prettier than I am!!) but the app refused it as being too big a file, and I have no idea how to shrink it.

You can try this one to resize the photo, it worked for me 🙂

https://www.lunapic.com/editor/?action=resize

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

but the app refused it as being too big a file, and I have no idea how to shrink it.

Hi @QueenBigFat:bye:

Here in France, there is an application called "Photo Compressor" to shrink the size of an image. It's simple and free. And if you can't find this one specifically, I'm sure there are plenty of others like it. :wink2:

If you really can't do it, don't hesitate to send me your photo by email, and I'll be happy to shrink the size for you. :original:

Above all, can't wait to see your pretty rescue dog! 🐶:wub2:

See you soon and have a nice day! :mika1:

Bye

Sorry! I didn't see Vero's reply when I replied to you...:doh:

Edited by Happymika_by_celine
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Happymika_by_celine said:

Hi @QueenBigFat:bye:

Here in France, there is an application called "Photo Compressor" to shrink the size of an image. It's simple and free. And if you can't find this one specifically, I'm sure there are plenty of others like it. :wink2:

If you really can't do it, don't hesitate to send me your photo by email, and I'll be happy to shrink the size for you. :original:

Above all, can't wait to see your pretty rescue dog! 🐶:wub2:

See you soon and have a nice day! :mika1:

Bye

Sorry! I didn't see Vero's reply when I replied to you...:doh:

The more solutions, the better 😉☺️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Yeah, I also tried to upload a picture of my rescue dog as my official photo (he is ever so much prettier than I am!!) but the app refused it as being too big a file, and I have no idea how to shrink it.

The gifs you have no real control over and they are larger than you might like to have in the middle of a sentence or paragraph.

If you'd like to use something smaller, we do have the old-fashioned smileys :)  which you can find along the top of your text box when you're posting. We have quite a few and they are smaller like this :lol3:  and this :yay: and this  :usa: and not forgetting this :mikadas:

As far as your photo -- you would need to reduce the file size using a photo editing program.  If you aren't sure how to do that, you could send me the photo and I could upload it for you. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love this thread! I always love reading about people’s experiences of meeting Mika- especially for the first time. As Melody and Deb have said - those of us who have been around ‘forever’ have been extremely lucky in this respect. The very first time I met Mika - in 2007 I forgot how to spell my name when he asked! And it’s only got four letters! 

And on another occasion, in Amsterdam, I totally lost the ability to speak! 🤣 But I have also had some lovely conversations with him. One of the most memorable was when we were sitting in an airport eatery, in Portugal and he walked in. We had quite a long chat and he told us he liked meatballs. That gave us quite a laugh for months! And also when we went to Moscow to see him and we had a very British chat about the weather! 🤣 But more recently, and I know that Deb has shared the video from Bristol Sounds this June - that  was a lovely one. 

Good luck to anyone who is yet to meet him. It really is a fantastic experience and I think it is amazing that he is still finding the time to spend with his fans. 

• Like 12

Oh, how I love these reports :wub2: 

To answer, yes, I had  the luck to meet  him, though briefly, and long ago. It was in 2010, at Colmar. I didn't know it when I was on my way to my second Mika's concert, but this day, a Meet and greet would be organised. I never talked about it on this forum, I think, it's the occasion.

Just after the gig, my mother told me we should stay here, because she saw someone talking to the first row fans and they were very happy, so she thought something would happen, and for something, it was something. At that time, I was 16, I didn't even imagine it was possible, but I had the conditions for being authorized at this Meet and Greet. Before I could process what happened, I had a little bracelet around my arm. 

I was extremely lucky this day. I don't think there was so much of this, it should have been a nightmare for people who organised these events, though I wasn't in any fan forum at that time, (despite being a fan since 2007), so I don't know. This evening we could take individual photos with all the musicians and drink crémant d'alsace (well, not me, I was still minor and I'm very rapidly drunk so it wasn't the best idea :lol3:). It was the evening Mika told us how he named his new puppy dog, Melachi. It was an evening where everyone could give him his birthday presents and sing happy bithday to him. It was simply a crazy night. 

And me... I was at the same time in an irreal, but extremely happy mood like you can imagine, but also a little anxious because I didn't know what to do, as you can imagine too for a very, very shy and insecure 16 years old. What will I say ? How should I behave ? What if I make something totally idiot ? And before all, how is he in real life ? Is he as nice as he seems ? 

In fact, he was even nicer. He came, a little embarassed and shy, but with a sweet smile. He really seemed nice, and he was, more than I could have imagine, without being in any forum or fan club.  At the same time, it was a little strange to see him like that, I mean, we know artists we love are normal persons, but it's something else to see it with our own eyes. Ah, also, I thought something like "OMG, he's really that tall ? It's like I'm 6 y.o beside him" :lol3:   Strangely, I didn't feel as nervous when he came. I felt more at ease, probably because I was happy to see he was really as nice as he seemed. :wub2:

And so, like that, it came. I was calmly waiting my turn, who came way more soon that I thought. I was in the first he stopped near, in fact he didn't even stop because I was there since the beginning, I didn't know he would stop precisely where I was...And so, our eyes met. :wub2: 

It was the first time I had a real eye-to-eye contact with him, I mean, when he really looks at us. It's hard to explain what it feels like for those who didn't live it, but he's really looking at us, it's not just a little gaze. I don't know how to explain it, really. It's just an incredible sensation. It happened since then at gigs and made me the same effect, but I will never forget this first time. 

It was strange, because I just spent 30 minutes to think anxiously about what I would say, and when the moment came, when I was there, all seemed incredibly simple. In less than one second, I saw all the times his music made me happy, made me dance, or cry, or playing piano, or feel better, in a flash-back. I still don't know today how it happened. Never had something like that before or after. It just happened at the second our eyes met, and so, I immediately knew what I wanted to say. So, I just said very simply :  "Thank you for all", hoping I could make all my heart in those words. 

And then, always looking at me, he smiled to me. A big smile.  :swoon:

Then, I wanted to wish him a happy birthday, but apparently, I couldn't make anymore so all that came out of my mouth was something like : "Hum... Yeah... Eh... Ha'y bi'th'dy", :facepalm: 

I don't remember the rest. I think this smile took all the place in my memory. Any way, I told what I had to tell. I didn't search to speak to him anymore, just letting him talking with the others, enjoying the moment and deciding I should join a fan club because I knew I really admired him even more now.  

When I think of that moment, I still feel the feelings. I never forgot that smile, and even if I have the occasion to meet him once more, I think it will never erase that feeling. It's rare I can wait after gigs (well, now I normally can), and when I wait, he doesn't come or it's chaos and he can't spent time with us, so I never could speak to him again, but I honestly can't complain, and I don't, with so great memories in my head. :cloud:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Presci1108 said:

It was the first time I had a real eye-to-eye contact with him, I mean, when he really looks at us. It's hard to explain what it feels like for those who didn't live it, but he's really looking at us, it's not just a little gaze. I don't know how to explain it, really. It's just an incredible sensation. It happened since then at gigs and made me the same effect, but I will never forget this first time. 

Absolutely this. :yes: I got this eye contact with him at the very first gig I went to, in my hometown Munich in April 2007, during My Interpretation. I remember this moment so well, how he completely caught me with his eyes and from that moment I was lost in Mika's world. :wub2: And still am now, over 16 years later. I didn't meet him after this gig because I thought he was already gone (he always took very long to come out after a show back then, but I didn't know that...), but that eye contact, together with the general awesomeness of a Mika gig, made me check right away which of his concerts I could attend next. :lol: :mikalove:

• Like 6

I don’t know if you have read the post I made to introduce myself but it was s kind of travelogue of my journey of discovery of Mika, and indeed it was his eyes—-and his smile (smiles, two types) that made me totally fall in love with him. I mean, I loved his music, but it was the human he is—warm, intense, appreciative, connected—expressed through that smile and that locked in, I- really-see-you gaze—that reached inside of me and grabbed me and won’t let go. And that was through the TV. I cannot imagine what this would have been like for me if I had been 16, and being the person the gaze was directed to. Or at. Whatever.:hypo:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

I don’t know if you have read the post I made to introduce myself but it was s kind of travelogue of my journey of discovery of Mika, and indeed it was his eyes—-and his smile (smiles, two types) that made me totally fall in love with him. I mean, I loved his music, but it was the human he is—warm, intense, appreciative, connected—expressed through that smile and that locked in, I- really-see-you gaze—that reached inside of me and grabbed me and won’t let go. And that was through the TV. I cannot imagine what this would have been like for me if I had been 16, and being the person the gaze was directed to. Or at. Whatever.:hypo:

I totally get you on this, it's exactly why I'm fan of Mika, and I just "like" some other artists. It's becaus he's... well, who he is. ^_^

As for how it is when his gaze is directed to you, I think your emoji is pretty much accurate. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

Oh, how I love these reports :wub2: 

To answer, yes, I had  the luck to meet  him, though briefly, and long ago. It was in 2010, at Colmar. I didn't know it when I was on my way to my second Mika's concert, but this day, a Meet and greet would be organised. I never talked about it on this forum, I think, it's the occasion.

Just after the gig, my mother told me we should stay here, because she saw someone talking to the first row fans and they were very happy, so she thought something would happen, and for something, it was something. At that time, I was 16, I didn't even imagine it was possible, but I had the conditions for being authorized at this Meet and Greet. Before I could process what happened, I had a little bracelet around my arm. 

I was extremely lucky this day. I don't think there was so much of this, it should have been a nightmare for people who organised these events, though I wasn't in any fan forum at that time, (despite being a fan since 2007), so I don't know. This evening we could take individual photos with all the musicians and drink crémant d'alsace (well, not me, I was still minor and I'm very rapidly drunk so it wasn't the best idea :lol3:). It was the evening Mika told us how he named his new puppy dog, Melachi. It was an evening where everyone could give him his birthday presents and sing happy bithday to him. It was simply a crazy night. 

And me... I was at the same time in an irreal, but extremely happy mood like you can imagine, but also a little anxious because I didn't know what to do, as you can imagine too for a very, very shy and insecure 16 years old. What will I say ? How should I behave ? What if I make something totally idiot ? And before all, how is he in real life ? Is he as nice as he seems ? 

In fact, he was even nicer. He came, a little embarassed and shy, but with a sweet smile. He really seemed nice, and he was, more than I could have imagine, without being in any forum or fan club.  At the same time, it was a little strange to see him like that, I mean, we know artists we love are normal persons, but it's something else to see it with our own eyes. Ah, also, I thought something like "OMG, he's really that tall ? It's like I'm 6 y.o beside him" :lol3:   Strangely, I didn't feel as nervous when he came. I felt more at ease, probably because I was happy to see he was really as nice as he seemed. :wub2:

And so, like that, it came. I was calmly waiting my turn, who came way more soon that I thought. I was in the first he stopped near, in fact he didn't even stop because I was there since the beginning, I didn't know he would stop precisely where I was...And so, our eyes met. :wub2: 

It was strange, because I just spent 30 minutes to think anxiously about what I would say, and when the moment came, when I was there, all seemed incredibly simple. In less than one second, I saw all the times his music made me happy, made me dance, or cry, or playing piano, or feel better, in a flash-back. I still don't know today how it happened. Never had something like that before or after. It just happened at the second our eyes met, and so, I immediately knew what I wanted to say. So, I just said very simply :  "Thank you for all", hoping I could make all my heart in those words. 

And then, always looking at me, he smiled to me. A big smile.  :swoon:

Then, I wanted to wish him a happy birthday, but apparently, I couldn't make anymore so all that came out of my mouth was something like : "Hum... Yeah... Eh... Ha'y bi'th'dy", :facepalm: 

I don't remember the rest. I think this smile took all the place in my memory. Any way, I told what I had to tell. I didn't search to speak to him anymore, just letting him talking with the others, enjoying the moment and deciding I should join a fan club because I knew I really admired him even more now.  

When I think of that moment, I still feel the feelings. I never forgot that smile, and even if I have the occasion to meet him once more, I think it will never erase that feeling. It's rare I can wait after gigs (well, now I normally can), and when I wait, he doesn't come or it's chaos and he can't spent time with us, so I never could speak to him again, but I honestly can't complain, and I don't, with so great memories in my head. :cloud:

Thanks a lot for posting, it's a lovely story.

Here is some videos at the birthday party at Colmar on 16/08/2010.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Here is some videos at the birthday party at Colmar on 16/08/2010.

Oh, yeees ! You're great ! That's just so good to see that again !  :wub2::cloud: 

Thank you !  

• Like 1

These are just so great. I really can't stand how adorable he can be. And he always looks like Gulliver in Lilliput. 
i have also seen the videos of the birthday when MFC gave him that magnificent scrapbook and the year you bought him his own seat at —was it the Opera House in Versailles? Both fantastic, and, the latter, when he was speechless, quite moving. 

He is really a darling darling man. With the fans he deserves.

oh, wait. I just realized how I would describe him in these interpersonal events: gracious.

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

the year you bought him his own seat at —was it the Opera House in Versailles?

Close - it was the Royal Opera House in London, where he first went on stage and started his professional singing career. 

50 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

He is really a darling darling man. With the fans he deserves.

:yeah::wub2:

• Like 3

On 8/26/2023 at 3:49 AM, NaoMika said:

Just found this thread and here is my report about M&G at Opera Di Frenze on New Year's eve in 2016

Is it just me, or the link for the pics is not working?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, krysady said:

Is it just me, or the link for the pics is not working?

8 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Yes, it doesn't work. Photobucket made some changes lately and now the account is not for free anymore. So maybe this is the reason.

Yes, unfortunately most of the old photo links are broken, as the photo hosting sites that used to be free now blocked the free access to photos. Now we can upload the pix directly to MFC, but for the old photos we'd have to do it all individually.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mellody said:

Yes, unfortunately most of the old photo links are broken, as the photo hosting sites that used to be free now blocked the free access to photos. Now we can upload the pix directly to MFC, but for the old photos we'd have to do it all individually.  :rolleyes:

It's a shame that we lost so many important photos on this forum, and many of the fans who posted them are not here anymore :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, krysady said:

It's a shame that we lost so many important photos on this forum, and many of the fans who posted them are not here anymore :sad:

Yes, so true. All the lost photos and videos, too. And even MySpace messages...  I try to add back photos/videos when I run across them and have time, but as you can imagine, it's a time-consuming process. I have tons of the old photos and videos stored, but I don't always remember who they originated from.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all….

I am reading your excited plans to go to the new batch of concerts that are now scheduled….I hope they present you with many opportunities to share wonderful stories in this conversation in the next year!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hello :) it was so nice reading all your lovely stories!!

I'm still bummed I couldn't wait for him to come out after the Tarvisio gig :tears: it would have been such a great opportunity...

But only 5 months from now, we'll get the chance to see him again!! I'm asking everyone who usually stays after a concert: what are the odds of seeing him? I mean does he come out to greet fans or to sign things after almost every event (even if it's only a few minutes) or is it a rare occasion? Based on your stories, he does this most of the time, but I'm not sure :)

So, "experienced Mika fans":lol:, what do you think?

Edited by Tori13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tori13 said:

But only 5 months from now, we'll get the chance to see him again!! I'm asking everyone who usually stays after a concert: what are the odds of seeing him? I mean does he come out to greet fans or to sign things after almost every event (even if it's only a few minutes) or is it a rare occasion? Based on your stories, he does this most of the time, but I'm not sure :)

So, "experienced Mika fans":lol:, what do you think?

It depends on which concert you are planning to go to? At some places there will be a higher chance that he will greet the fans and sign things after the concert. Where are you planning to go? :original:

7 minutes ago, Tori13 said:

I'm asking everyone who usually stays after a concert: what are the odds of seeing him? I mean does he come out to greet fans or to sign things after almost every event (even if it's only a few minutes) or is it a rare occasion? Based on your stories, he does this most of the time, but I'm not sure :)

You can never be sure. He does meet fans often, but definitely not every time. Especially not at Festivals. Even in Tarvisio we weren't sure if he'd stop, but we were very lucky there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Prisca said:

It depends on which concert you are planning to go to? At some places there will be a higher chance that he will greet the fans and sign things after the concert. Where are you planning to go? :original:

Brussels :)

I wouldn't consider it a huge venue, but definitely more people than in Tarvisio

10 minutes ago, mellody said:

You can never be sure. He does meet fans often, but definitely not every time. Especially not at Festivals. Even in Tarvisio we weren't sure if he'd stop, but we were very lucky there.

Yess I read your report, you were so lucky and he was such a sweetheart! It was a special gig for many reasons :lustslow:

• Like 2