Je sais que je t'aime - song & lyrics discussion

Hero

17 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I can't wait to hear the whole song!!!!!!!!!!

The French language which plays on the sounds - some words you pronounce in the same way but you write it differently and the meaning is different - it's a poetry for my ears. 

In this part we can see the loving part. What about anger? We have to wait till Friday.

My guess is that the song is about his love for his mum but anger at her illness and its consequences ...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Presci1108 said:

And me who was a little afraid about an entire french album

Same, I didn't want to set up my expectations too high and be disappointed later, but it seems he really did a great work :thumb_yello:

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, mellody said:

You think so? My first thought when he introduced the song was that it's about Andy, kind of a follow up to Moi, Andy et Paris. Also this line about life and God, it made me think of Origin of Love. But yeah, maybe you're right. We might see it on Friday, or not... depending on whether Mika made the lyrics more personal or more general.

My instinct is telling me that.We'll find out on Friday :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I think it's because the song is about his mum and in front of such a situation even if you are not a believer you kind of hope for a miracle.

That's interesting but not how interpreted it.

For me it felt like OOL or NPIH or Promiseland, like he's asking for forgiveness for the way he's living his life (and his love) even though he thinks god doesn't approve.

But I agree with everyone saying it doesn't matter too much what this is about specifically, it's a touching and beautiful song that you can just FEEL! :wub2:

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, krysady said:

Same, I didn't want to set up my expectations too high and be disappointed later, but it seems he really did a great work :thumb_yello:

Oh gosh yes. I didn't think I would have been totally overwhelmed by his album in French but I am head over  heals with it. His music and his words totally won me over :cloud:

• Like 4

I guess it can be about whatever you want it to be about. But from the romantic feel of the song, and the line about life forgiving them even if god abandons them, I understood it to be about his relationship. Doesn't the track come after after Moi, Andy et Paris on the album? I can see it as a follow on after that, the reaction to the pain caused by the argument, his anger at Andy for going to Greece, and the realisation that despite it all his love is still the strongest emotion he has for his partner. I don't see how the line about god abandoning them would relate to his mum, that doesn't quite sit right for me. 

12 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Anyway these lyrics are killing me.

"May life forgive us if God abandons us": After all this time, 8 years after NPIH, he is still bargaining with god?! That breaks my heart.

And this is exactly why I can't listen to NPIH. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Hm, interesting that this thing about God doesn't hit me much, maybe because I'm an Atheist, so I'm like, well ok, Mika seems to care about what God thinks of anything, but I really don't, and I hope he'll get to the point where he doesn't care what some imaginary higher power thinks. I'm not sure how much he actually does, but Andy seems to be religious (they were at the Greek Easter celebration in Florence last year, right?), so maybe it refers to Andy's beliefs rather than Mika's. Or Joannie's, if the song is about her.
NPIH was half about his father, or actually I interpreted it to be about his father but just making it sound like a prayer to God, using this as a metaphor, so it's not as direct. From that point of view, the relationship to his father, the song really hit me as well, of course. But I think they got closer to each other at that time, so I guess it's ok now.

At his gigs of the NPIH tour, Mika joked about the crowd being Heaven, Purgatory and Hell, and us in the pit were in Hell with him, and that was the perfect place to be, haha! :lol3:

• Like 3

He was raised a Catholic, and even for non believers just having that background and teachings, particularly at a young age, can have long lasting effects. For one thing, it's heavy on the guilt. He grew up hearing that he was a sinner, even before his "forbidden" sexual preferences were recognised. Negative points. BUT... it was singing in the school choir that led him to make friends and be integrated socially again. And he enjoyed the singing, even if the mass got monotonous so they snuck comics in the prayer books. :teehee: And I think he does have a strong spiritual side, which finds its release in singing. His gigs, he gets the "communion of spirit" there  that others go to church for. Same with the crowd atmosphere at the football and rugby matches. It gives him that sense of belonging that was denied to him by organised religion. He is always keen to see religious places such as Santiago de Compostela, the Vatican museums, the chapel at Sforza. 

I hope he has reached a point where he is at peace with "god" (whatever that concept means for him), and can ignore the damage of the church teachings, but those early tendrils linger long in the soul, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still working things out. Heck, I think most of us are at some level. 

Um. Where did that come from? Longer than intended, and off topic. Sorry! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hero said:

He was raised a Catholic, and even for non believers just having that background and teachings, particularly at a young age, can have long lasting effects. For one thing, it's heavy on the guilt. He grew up hearing that he was a sinner, even before his "forbidden" sexual preferences were recognised. Negative points. BUT... it was singing in the school choir that led him to make friends and be integrated socially again. And he enjoyed the singing, even if the mass got monotonous so they snuck comics in the prayer books. :teehee: And I think he does have a strong spiritual side, which finds its release in singing. His gigs, he gets the "communion of spirit" there  that others go to church for. Same with the crowd atmosphere at the football and rugby matches. It gives him that sense of belonging that was denied to him by organised religion. He is always keen to see religious places such as Santiago de Compostela, the Vatican museums, the chapel at Sforza. 

I hope he has reached a point where he is at peace with "god" (whatever that concept means for him), and can ignore the damage of the church teachings, but those early tendrils linger long in the soul, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still working things out. Heck, I think most of us are at some level. 

Um. Where did that come from? Longer than intended, and off topic. Sorry! 

Well, it's not really OT, because we're trying to figure out where that lyric line comes from. (Maybe it's just by one of his cowriters...🙈) I also was raised Catholic, went to a Catholic elementary school and sang in the church choir. But I stopped going to Church as a teenager, left the Church in my mid-20s and now all it is for me is rituals, like celebrating Christmas. I do see with my kids now, that as soon as you get a little involved with it again, some of those people are trying to make you feel bad for missing the mass or things like that, good way to make me feel distanced from all that even more. However, Church and faith in God are 2 separate things, and from what Mika said in interviews, I think he's very aware of that difference meanwhile.

Anyway, you're right, now that I've started, I realize I could say so much about it that it would indeed make sense to open an extra thread for that discussion. 😅

• Like 3

I think this snippet he posted in May, that I loved so much, might be from Je sais que je t'aime. Love seeing that I'm consistent in my music taste, lol! :teehee:

9 hours ago, Hero said:

Try bringing the sound more to the front of the mouth, between the tip of the tongue and the teeth, and keeping it light. Only the "qu" sound needs to come from the throat. Voila! 

I can say it once or twice maximum, then I get mixed up with all the "qu" "j" "t" sounds. :facepalm: It's such a tongue twister!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mellody said:

it's relatable in every long-term relationship I think - not even just romantic ones, but also with family members or close friends.

Exactly, that was my first thought, that it sounds like a hymn of long-term relationships! :original:

Can't wait to hear the full song (and all the others) ❤️

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

That's interesting but not how interpreted it.

For me it felt like OOL or NPIH or Promiseland, like he's asking for forgiveness for the way he's living his life (and his love) even though he thinks god doesn't approve.

But I agree with everyone saying it doesn't matter too much what this is about specifically, it's a touching and beautiful song that you can just FEEL! :wub2:

Yes :wub2:

Has anyone written down the lyrics yet??

The only thing I understood was that he used the pronoun "elle" quite a lot so I immediately thought "Omg @crazyaboutmika was right that it's about his mum". Great instincts :clap:

Ah oops I was just informed the lyrics are all on youtube.

Edited by CharlotteL
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, krysady said:

This is the one for me, the masterpiece of this album.

Agree. But after hearing the full version of it, I'm not so sure if I really want to hear it live, the lyrics are so heartbreaking. :tears:

It's about his Mum, but I think also a little about himself, about acceptance, even if you're far from perfect. "Ouvre ton coeur quand même", and "NOUS pardonne", he includes himself there, because he realizes that just like his Mum he is a difficult person. At least that's my interpretation, also with regard to the other lyrics on the album.

But it's so SO beautiful, it makes my heart burst! :cloud: :tears: :huglove:

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

Agree. But after hearing the full version of it, I'm not so sure if I really want to hear it live, the lyrics are so heartbreaking. :tears:

I know what you mean, and I'm going to cry a lot if I have the chance to hear it live, but I ordered waterproof mascara so I'm ready :biggrin2: ... probably it will be the same with C'est la Vie for me :tears:

But I'm sure it would worth to live and share all together such a powerful experience, we will survive :yes:

41 minutes ago, mellody said:

It's about his Mum, but I think also a little about himself, about acceptance, even if you're far from perfect.

Yes, and also about their strong and peculiar relation, sometimes hard for strangers to understand.

46 minutes ago, mellody said:

But it's so SO beautiful, it makes my heart burst! :cloud: :tears: :huglove:

It's pure emotion :wub2:

• Like 5

One of my absolute favorites, a song that gives me goosebumps. Like I said in the "Passager" topic, the two songs are Number one ex-aequo for me, this song is just incredible. I'm not even sure I can find the words for describing it. 

• Like 4

JE SAIS QUE JE T'AIME

Elle se suppose héroïne de sa cause 
Dans une vie qu'elle
N'a même pas choisie
Elle s'imagine être la seule victime N'assume pas les crimes
Qu'elle a commis

Ouvre ton coeur 
Quand même, quand même
Je sais que je t'aime 
Je sais que je t'aime

Amour magique, amour qui saigne
Amour tragique, amour quand même
 Toi qui me laisses, toi qui me peines
 Toi qui me blesses même si je t'aime

Et je t'aime
Je t'aime plus que moi-même. 
Et je ne veux pas que la vie te blesse 
Oh je t'aime, et je t'aime
Je t'aime jusqu'à la haine
Et si un jour les dieux nous délaissent

C'est pour toi que je reste

Je sais que je t'aime
Je sais que je t'aime
Je sais que je t'aime
Je sais que t'aime

Que la vie nous pardonne si
Dieu nous abandonne

Elle est ramenée
Aux blessures du passé
A chaque fois qu'elle essaye d'avancer
 Elle est coincée, vit dans un corps brisé 
Et détruit tous ceux qui veulent l'aider

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

I was just informed the lyrics are all on youtube

Where? I found one 'transcript' that translated as it played, but not the original lyrics. And now I don't even see the transcript option. :blink:

The original lyrics for each video are listed underneath in the details box, I don't know about other browsers but Google chrome has an auto translate option which can let you switch text to English for you.

I know it's not quite the same as watching the lyrics come up on the screen, and it's also not 100% accurate either but at least it's an option! 😅

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hero said:

Where? I found one 'transcript' that translated as it played, but not the original lyrics. And now I don't even see the transcript option. :blink:

Every song has the lyrics written right below the info:

Screenshot (510).png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

The original lyrics for each video are listed underneath in the details box, I don't know about other browsers but Google chrome has an auto translate option which can let you switch text to English for you.

I know it's not quite the same as watching the lyrics come up on the screen, and it's also not 100% accurate either but at least it's an option! 😅

If you click on transcript youtube ap on phone gives you the transcript in English and the translation is a good one @Hero

Edited by crazyaboutmika