MIKA @ Oxegen Festival - Dublin

Yoppappop

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....and all that's happened is that he's accrued a lot of ill will in Denmark.

--Jack

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. It's the fact that Mika is never going to get a break-through here.. But that's OK, we're disposable anyways

I still don't get why them cancelled Roskilde! I mean, them must know how important Roskilde is!

He probably had an interview in UK or sth veeeeeeery important :sneaky2:

Frankly I think they just couldn't be arsed to get all their stuff with them to Denmark :sneaky2: If Oxegen had been friday then he'd have played it anyway - **** I hate these people right now :boxed:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. It's the fact that Mika is never going to get a break-through here.. But that's OK, we're disposable anyways

We don't care about Mika's infections :mf_rosetinted:

oh? ok,what`s the new oppinion and why? I might have missed some info

Oh come on !!! I won't say everything again !! I said it all yesterday : he performed an "energetic and memorable" performance... Why would i think that it was humiliating again ?

Do I need to post a summary on every page? I can...

What happened: he went, he played, he was energetic and "memorable" and sang pretty much like always.

Thus: pneumonia thing is likely a lie, along the lines of the "lost voice" statement.

Thus: the Scandinavian fans are super-pissed off now.

Likely: Mika really is sick, if not with pneumonia, but just with exhaustion, and is cancelling whatever shows he and his management think they can spare.

Most of us think: it's not fair that the shows in the smaller countries are the ones they think they can "spare." Also, Mika needs a lot more rest and not to keep on cancelling the odd show and then just killing himself with performing the next night anyway. He needs a break of a week at least.

However: his schedule for the rest of July seems a lot more manageable.

Unfortunately: that means we may never get answers or accountability from his management, and all that's happened is that he's accrued a lot of ill will in Denmark.

End of re-cap. Again.

--Jack

He probably had an interview in UK or sth veeeeeeery important :sneaky2:

Frankly I think they just couldn't be arsed to get all their stuff with them to Denmark :sneaky2: If Oxegen had been friday then he'd have played it anyway - **** I hate these people right now :boxed:

Amen - Are you feeling a little.. disposable today? (Can't help it, love that word and it really shows what I am)

He cancelled 2x Denmark, 1x Sweden and he is not coming to Finland. I travelled to Nibe, me and other Finns of MFC had planned a trip to WOW. If there is a list for disposable fans, I want a number... :punk:

Oh come on !!! I won't say everything again !! I said it all yesterday : he performed an "energetic and memorable" performance... Why would i think that it was humiliating again ?

I was probably asking because I didn not read the he performed an "energetic and memorable" performance part

I don`t have a complulsory need for repetitions :biggrin2:

I was probably asking because I didn not read the he performed an "energetic and memorable" performance part

I don`t have a complulsory need for repetitions :biggrin2:

Well, that's what i said : could PEOPLE (not you in particular) read the 2 or 3 last pages before asking, that would be great... And so economic in repetitions :wink2:

He cancelled 2x Denmark, 1x Sweden and he is not coming to Finland. I travelled to Nibe, me and other Finns of MFC had planned a trip to WOW. If there is a list for disposable fans, I want a number... :punk:

I'm #1, you can be #4 :mf_rosetinted:

no news

Welcome to the list :mf_rosetinted:

so so so.. I see news have kept flowing after I was off for bed and some of the most unexpected.. I have ceased expecting things from all this.. it never fails surprising me.. and I had thought I couldn't be surprised anymore. naive me..

what can I say..? nothing that's any importance or relevance.. maybe the fact michael stipe was in the audience caused a sudden recover from pneumonia slash ear infection..? :mf_rosetinted:

so so so.. I see news have kept flowing after I was off for bed and some of the most unexpected.. I have ceased expecting things from all this.. it never fails surprising me.. and I had thought I couldn't be surprised anymore. naive me..

what can I say..? nothing that's any importance or relevance.. maybe the fact michael stipe was in the audience caused a sudden recover from pneumonia slash ear infection..? :mf_rosetinted:

And the perspective of meeting Beth Ditto !! :thumb_yello:

Oooooooooooooooooooh !!! We hadn't thought about those !!! :blink: Silly us :doh: It's all clear, now ! :punk:

Oooooooooooooooooooh !!! We hadn't thought about those !!! :blink: Silly us :doh: It's all clear, now ! :punk:

Oh yeah, so very stupid I've been :doh:

Do I need to post a summary on every page? I can...

What happened: he went, he played, he was energetic and "memorable" and sang pretty much like always.

Thus: pneumonia thing is likely a lie, along the lines of the "lost voice" statement.

Thus: the Scandinavian fans are super-pissed off now.

Likely: Mika really is sick, if not with pneumonia, but just with exhaustion, and is cancelling whatever shows he and his management think they can spare.

Most of us think: it's not fair that the shows in the smaller countries are the ones they think they can "spare." Also, Mika needs a lot more rest and not to keep on cancelling the odd show and then just killing himself with performing the next night anyway. He needs a break of a week at least.

However: his schedule for the rest of July seems a lot more manageable.

Unfortunately: that means we may never get answers or accountability from his management, and all that's happened is that he's accrued a lot of ill will in Denmark.

End of re-cap. Again.

--Jack

Jack I so appreicate this last summary as I have been at work all day, and really wanted to catch up! You made it easy, and I can see we are no further than this morning!

Ah Yop, finger on the pulse as always. I bet it was the Beth Ditto thing!!:mf_lustslow:

Don't expect to ever get any answers from Mika. I'm sure his camp told these festivals whatever they needed to in order to extricate Mika from his legal obligations and they're not going to contradict those excuses publicly, especially when lawsuits are being threatened.

I still don't think this is a matter of Scandinavian fans = not important, other fans = important. The reality is that some gigs are more important than others and it's got nothing to do with which fans are perceived as more important. An appearance on North American television that is going to reach 6 million people is more important than playing day one of a Swedish festival.

I'm sure Mika doesn't like reneging on his commitments, but he's not a fool and I don't think he's a puppet for his management team. He's looked at the risk/benefit of pissing off some fans and setting a bad precedent with festival organizers against an opportunity to reach millions of potential fans and he's taking his chances on the latter.

As for the other cancellations, I think Mika is having some real health problems and it's not simply exhaustion. I know everyone is shocked and horrified at his schedule, but it's not *that* crazy. Other young artists like Paolo Nutini, Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen have been on this touring/promo blitz three times longer than Mika. And yeah they miss the occasional gig but it's not surprising since they drink their faces off night after night.

Whoever said he can't be arsed going to the Scandinavian shows is probably right but it's because he's not in top form and he's trying to balance getting as much rest as possible with fulfilling as many obligations as possible. It's a lot easier to play a small gig in Reading and be at home in bed a few hours later than it is fly to another country and pull out all the stops at a festival show.

I think these kind of logistical issues are probably why a show was added in Montreal when it was as well. He knew he couldn't possibly make WOW once he decided to do GMA so he booked a replacement gig in Montreal because it's so close. It's not a matter of blowing off Sweden because Montreal is more important.

There's no doubt some mistakes have been made here but Mika's game plan over less than a year has been changing dramatically as his career has skyrocketed, probably faster than anyone expected.

There are also things he has no control over, like if and when he's going to get a lot of radio airplay in the US, so he needs to focus a lot of attention on making it happen whenever he gets the opportunity. His appearances on US television could mean the difference between selling 3 million copies of LICM and selling 5 or 10 million copies.

As distasteful as that may seem to fans, the record company wants the commercial success of this album to match all the hype and expense that they have put into launching it. Mika needs this kind of support from his record company if his subsequent projects are going to get the same push to really launch him into superstardom.

I know this situation is really sucky, but I think Mika and his management are trying to look at the big picture here and fans should probably cut him some slack and do the same.

Don't expect to ever get any answers from Mika. I'm sure his camp told these festivals whatever they needed to in order to extricate Mika from his legal obligations and they're not going to contradict those excuses publicly, especially when lawsuits are being threatened.

I still don't think this is a matter of Scandinavian fans = not important, other fans = important. The reality is that some gigs are more important than others and it's got nothing to do with which fans are perceived as more important. An appearance on North American television that is going to reach 6 million people is more important than playing day one of a Swedish festival.

I'm sure Mika doesn't like reneging on his commitments, but he's not a fool and I don't think he's a puppet for his management team. He's looked at the risk/benefit of pissing off some fans and setting a bad precedent with festival organizers against an opportunity to reach millions of potential fans and he's taking his chances on the latter.

As for the other cancellations, I think Mika is having some real health problems and it's not simply exhaustion. I know everyone is shocked and horrified at his schedule, but it's not *that* crazy. Other young artists like Paolo Nutini, Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen have been on this touring/promo blitz three times longer than Mika. And yeah they miss the occasional gig but it's not surprising since they drink their faces off night after night.

Whoever said he can't be arsed going to the Scandinavian shows is probably right but it's because he's not in top form and he's trying to balance getting as much rest as possible with fulfilling as many obligations as possible. It's a lot easier to play a small gig in Reading and be at home in bed a few hours later than it is fly to another country and pull out all the stops at a festival show.

I think these kind of logistical issues are probably why a show was added in Montreal when it was as well. He knew he couldn't possibly make WOW once he decided to do GMA so he booked a replacement gig in Montreal because it's so close. It's not a matter of blowing off Sweden because Montreal is more important.

There's no doubt some mistakes have been made here but Mika's game plan over less than a year has been changing dramatically as his career has skyrocketed, probably faster than anyone expected.

There are also things he has no control over, like if and when he's going to get a lot of radio airplay in the US, so he needs to focus a lot of attention on making it happen whenever he gets the opportunity. His appearances on US television could mean the difference between selling 3 million copies of LICM and selling 5 or 10 million copies.

As distasteful as that may seem to fans, the record company wants the commercial success of this album to match all the hype and expense that they have put into launching it. Mika needs this kind of support from his record company if his subsequent projects are going to get the same push to really launch him into superstardom.

I know this situation is really sucky, but I think Mika and his management are trying to look at the big picture here and fans should probably cut him some slack and do the same.

I agree with everything that you said here, really.

They really have a big organisation and PR problem, though.

But then again:

Why lie to festival organisations about a lost voice/pneumonia/ear infection/etc. etc.? :blink:

I still don't get it, sorry.

I think "Because it's business" is the best answer we can get here...

I only hope he will not waste himself entirely to so-called 'superstardom' with all the sacrifices that have to be made on the way there, concerning physical and mental health as well as personality. I have the apprehension of him not being himself anymore before the next year will be over.