MIKA @ Oxegen Festival - Dublin

Yoppappop

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think is bothering violet_sky is that even if it's Mika's management who's calling all the shots here and Mika can't do anything about it, it goes against what he said about it being important to him to be able to determine his own career and not sell out or be someone's pawn, just doing what other people want him to do. And if not, well.

Here's my best breakdown of the situation:

1. Either he's just been overbooked and his health is (mostly) ok--I say mostly because I'm pretty sure he's exhausted and strung-out and his voice is strained either way--and they're cancelling shows to save his energy due to marketing considerations. (Ie, "we can spare a festival in a less-important country but he has to make the next UK show.")
    • a) In which case, if he has any real control over the situation, I think it sucks that he and his camp would be all right treating some countries as "unimportant" and some fans as "disposable."
    • b) If he doesn't have any real control--if he's just so overtired that he can't possibly fulfill his bookings, and he asks to pull out but the management will only let him cancel the previously-mentioned gigs--then that's a different sort of disgrace.

• i)They should be more concerned about his health and cancel a whole bunch of shows at once, since his schedule is no easier for the rest of the summer--and that would at least let the fans know ahead of time.
      • ii)They should also not make up any sicknesses and just own up to the fact that he's exhausted--it's a fair enough excuse! Lying and stringing fans along by waiting until last minute to cancel is not cool. Though maybe the cancellations come at last minute because rather than realizing that he really, really needs a break, they keep pushing him and cancel only when it's obvious he can't do it. In which case, back to i).

[*]The second, even worse case, is that he really is as sick as we've been told, with pneumonia and everything. (EDIT: SEEMS THIS IS NOT TRUE) In which case, he should cancel/postpone a whole leg of his tour at once, and rest. But it seems like this is not happening.

• a) If it is his management or whoever that are forcing him to perform even when he's sick, by stuffing him with meds and cancelling the odd gig in the hope that a day off will prepare him to go again the next day, no matter how he's feeling--that is amazingly cruel. It's already causing his PR to suffer, since fans whose gigs have been cancelled can't believe he's really sick when he performs a day later, and it's only making his health worse to push himself this hard, and he will collapse eventually! And may even lose/break his voice permanently!
  • b) If it's him who's insisting on pushing himself like this because he thinks he can pull it off, and is too driven to allow himself any rest, someone needs to tell him he's being 23 and stupid and not making good decisions. Because, well, back to the second part of point 2a).

...and of course, none of us really have any solid information, which makes all this speculating a bit ridiculous.

--Jack

What I think is bothering violet_sky is that even if it's Mika's management who's calling all the shots here and Mika can't do anything about it, it goes against what he said about it being important to him to be able to determine his own career and not sell out or be someone's pawn, just doing what other people want him to do. And if not, well.

Here's my best breakdown of the situation:

1. Either he's just been overbooked and his health is (mostly) ok--I say mostly because I'm pretty sure he's exhausted and strung-out and his voice is strained either way--and they're cancelling shows to save his energy due to marketing considerations. (Ie, "we can spare a festival in a less-important country but he has to make the next UK show.")
    • a) In which case, if he has any real control over the situation, I think it sucks that he and his camp would be all right treating some countries as "unimportant" and some fans as "disposable."
    • b) If he doesn't have any real control--if he's just so overtired that he can't possibly fulfill his bookings, and he asks to pull out but the management will only let him cancel the previously-mentioned gigs--then that's a different sort of disgrace.

• i)They should be more concerned about his health and cancel a whole bunch of shows at once, since his schedule is no easier for the rest of the summer--and that would at least let the fans know ahead of time.
      • ii)They should also not make up any sicknesses and just own up to the fact that he's exhausted--it's a fair enough excuse! Lying and stringing fans along by waiting until last minute to cancel is not cool. Though maybe the cancellations come at last minute because rather than realizing that he really, really needs a break, they keep pushing him and cancel only when it's obvious he can't do it. In which case, back to i).

[*]The second, even worse case, is that he really is as sick as we've been told, with pneumonia and everything. In which case, he should cancel/postpone a whole leg of his tour at once, and rest. But it seems like this is not happening.

• a) If it is his management or whoever that are forcing him to perform even when he's sick, by stuffing him with meds and cancelling the odd gig in the hope that a day off will prepare him to go again the next day, no matter how he's feeling--that is amazingly cruel. It's already causing his PR to suffer, since fans whose gigs have been cancelled can't believe he's really sick when he performs a day later, and it's only making his health worse to push himself this hard, and he will collapse eventually! And may even lose/break his voice permanently!
  • b) If it's him who's insisting on pushing himself like this because he thinks he can pull it off, and is too driven to allow himself any rest, someone needs to tell him he's being 23 and stupid and not making good decisions. Because, well, back to the second part of point 2a).

...and of course, none of us really have any solid information, which makes all this speculating a bit ridiculous.

--Jack

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Looks like it's the only reaction i can have lately :boxed:

I feel like reading and writing the same things over and over... And i already wrote that last sentence today :boxed:

Well I didn't read the 25 pages I missed, only 10, but....

:jawdrop:

WHAT'S THAT?????? A CIRCUS OR WHAT??????????

IT'S UNBELIEBLE!!!

yeah! we're a circus!! :punk: :punk: and apparently a not important one :mf_rosetinted:

I'm so sad!But I forced myself to stay calm and don't think bad!

I would like to listen Mika to understand what's happening now with the whole situation.....let's wait then *hope for good news*

It's the worst situation: standing in front of his crowd & not being abble to sing!!!! (this is what I understood)

It's Ridiculous!!!!!:thumbdown:

Luckily nobody's thrown tomatoes or peanuts....

How can they let him do that!!!

...or is it just a way to make people understand he's really ill & cant sing???

But in this case, it's an extrem solution!!!

I'm very confused...dunno what to think...is there someone to blame?:boxed:

But here again we don't have all the elements, the infos....

It's the worst situation: standing in front of his crowd & not being abble to sing!!!! (this is what I understood)

No, no, no... That's what we first thought listening to the online radio... But reading the last Oxegen festival website update, it doesn't seem that we heard the exact performance but just the end of it, when he sort of let the crowd sing as an "encore"... And that his performance tonight was amoung the most "enegetic and memorable" ones :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: :lmfao: peanuts :lmfao: (sorry)

we're all confused and dunno what to think! but, as far as i'm concerned, there's only one thing that you have to keep in mind now: BUTTER! :mf_rosetinted:

From what i know (not much) Universal gives him advance on what he will probably sell later... For him to produce this album and do everything related to it (i guess) : promotion, booking, appearances, etc. Otherwise, nobody could do an album, and that's why it's so hard for people without any music company to support them... At least at the beginning...

What will arrive in 2 years or so is royalties : money HE touches out of the album... Benefits if you want... His salary. And that's why he couldn't buy this phone a few weeks ago...

And for the voice aspect : OF COURSE, SURE, WHATEVER YOU WANT if it was me/you/us/Mika... But Universal thinks about money first...

I agree he has such a beautiful instrument. :das:

:lmfao: :lmfao: peanuts :lmfao: (sorry)

we're all confused and dunno what to think! but, as far as i'm concerned, there's only one thing that you have to keep in mind now: BUTTER! :mf_rosetinted:

Exactly what I thought. :roftl: *sorry*

Ok, I read all the pages and wonder when the day will come when I won't say "I don't know what to say" anymore.

Strange. Confusing. Annoying. Whatever

I also think that Grace Kelly was only a tiny part of his performance and that the rest was as energetic as usually. It would have been too strange otherwise. Hopefully there'll be some news tomorrow although I think that we can wait for a statement from the man himself about all this fuss forever :blink:

Mika did a quite good performance at Oxegen this year. :thumb_yello:

So he has no pneumonia :yay:

So he may be sued by Nibe for cancelling for nothing...

Such pleasant news to come back to, isn't it, Sivan? :wink2:

Someone left a comment on his Myspace saying:

"Get Well Soon =)

Oooooh..I Thought U Were Great On That Gig I Saw Today <3 LOVE IT!

And Big Girls..Great Song ♥ It Really Puts Me In The Mood.

LOVE YOU LOTS <3"

Hmmmmm....

I guess she could be talking about any gig though so I guess ignore this haha