MIKA @ Oxegen Festival - Dublin

Yoppappop

Once again, we had only ONE song, on the RADIO, no images, etc. We don't know either if it was only one song or a set of song, that he performed then stopped singing for Grace Kelly to let the crowd sing... Since NME don't like Mika, their sarcasm would have fit in that situation too, but they would have been talking only about the last song, and we wouldn't have known, since we only heard that song...

Anyway, he shouldn't have been there, wether he could sing or not :

- if he was able to sing, then why cancel Nibe and Roskilde with such lies

- if he couldn't sing, what was the point of being there, and not in his bed, curing from his whatever

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... once again - I just don't believe (dont want to believe?) - that something special has happened there ( this particular event)... (Nibe and other ongoing stories are a separate case)

anyway - I wont be chatting with Beth backstage after such accident....(would rather lock myself somewhere)..though maybe "the meeting" took place before?...

anyway, lets wait for tomorrow (and tmrrws yellow press....)

but since he WAS there, I prefer him greeting the public some kinda way than being behind stage snooping and being interviewed.

not saying he HAD to go there, or was a good idea to go there if he was sick, but more what I feel about it since he actually WAS there :wink2:

I'm furious, disgusted, and heartbroken. Not at Mika, but at the bastards that made him go out there. That had to be humiliating.

:furious: :furious: :furious:

yeah... that's what I thought too :sad:

but since he WAS there, I prefer him greeting the public some kinda way than being behind stage snooping and being interviewed.

not saying he HAD to go there, or was a good idea to go there if he was sick, but more what I feel about it since he actually WAS there :wink2:

I get your point, and i kinda agree with the fact that SINCE he was there, it'd better be cheering than not being able to sing...

But i stick to the point that he shouldn't have been there :wink2:

yeah... that's what I thought too :sad:

I mean what the hell is wrong with people? IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THAT BIG A DEAL IF HE HAD CANCELLED IT! But instead they make him go out and have to endure something like that. I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far, this is what I'm sticking too.

I actually cried. :tears:

Once again, we had only ONE song, on the RADIO, no images, etc. We don't know either if it was only one song or a set of song, that he performed then stopped singing for Grace Kelly to let the crowd sing... Since NME don't like Mika, their sarcasm would have fit in that situation too, but they would have been talking only about the last song, and we wouldn't have known, since we only heard that song...

- if he couldn't sing, what was the point of being there, and not in his bed, curing from his whatever

1. ..may I just suggest the contractual obligations being different...and the forfeit penalty rates different too?

2. and he was indending to sing (on medication -or whatever - cos he couldnt cancel that one)..but smth happened...nervs or smth...

oh I agree 100%, if he's sick he should have not go. better rest or he won't get out of this negative spiral. :boxed:

my post was re. to what i said previously: since he WAS there, it was brave of him, it was indeed. i think he may want and greet fans some kinda way.

1. ..may I just suggest the contractual obligations being different...and the forfeit penalty rates different too?

Well... They have money. Since he performed, Nibe and maybe Roskilde will sue him... They could use their money better than that, couldn't they ?

It's so hard talking with IF everywhere, since we know basically nothing...

Well... They have money. Since he performed, Nibe and maybe Roskilde will sue him... They could use their money better than that, couldn't they ?

It's so hard talking with IF everywhere, since we know basically nothing...

...I know nothing about the industry....but... just heard in some interview that it actually takes 2 or 3 years for the real cash flow, even if an artist has gotten No1 ....dont think that the whole MIKA-project can afford much cancelling and sueing....

on the other hand - the voice!cant lose that one as well...

...I know nothing about the industry....but... just heard in some interview that it actually takes 2 or 3 years for the real cash flow, even if an artist has gotten No1 ....dont think that the whole MIKA-project can afford much cancelling and sueing....

I'm more worried about his voice than the money aspect of things...if he loses his voice I will honestly cry for months.

Very good questions!

I'm still in Denmark and trying to follow this situation with my handheld computer, isn't too easy :blink: Why on earth THEY made him do Oxegen appearance? Mika is widely known about his exciting and powerful live performances. In festivals there is large audience including lots of people who has never seen Mika before. He won't get any new fans and record buyers doing gigs when he is ill and tired. Many people will never know that he can do better :sad:

You are so right KiteKat! The money he's been getting is going to pay back the record company. I'm sure they were not counting on law suits and cancellations to take some of this money away.

You're also right about his voice. Money and business deals can't even compare to his health, and his beautiful instrument. You can't put a price on that.

From what i know (not much) Universal gives him advance on what he will probably sell later... For him to produce this album and do everything related to it (i guess) : promotion, booking, appearances, etc. Otherwise, nobody could do an album, and that's why it's so hard for people without any music company to support them... At least at the beginning...

What will arrive in 2 years or so is royalties : money HE touches out of the album... Benefits if you want... His salary. And that's why he couldn't buy this phone a few weeks ago...

And for the voice aspect : OF COURSE, SURE, WHATEVER YOU WANT if it was me/you/us/Mika... But Universal thinks about money first...

REM frontman Michael Stipe, supermodel Helena Christensen, and actor Josh Hartnett are among the 80,000 music fans who have been enjoying a raft of world class acts on the first day of OXEGEN.

Also soaking up the festival vibe at The Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Weekend of the Year was actress Susan Sarandon and her partner Tim Robbins plus Stephen Rae.

On the stages the likes of Mika, Kings of Leon, Gossip, David Kitt, The View, Biffy Clyro and The Maccabees have been thrilling festival goers with energetic and memorable performances.

New York indie band The Bravery stormed the Green Room tent, playing a blistering live set before frontman Sam Endicott launched himself off the stage and into the crowd.

Enter Shikari singer Rou Reynolds also joined fans in the front few rows, throwing himself into the crowd several times during their Green Room stage set, the band also bounced on a trampoline on stage, much to the delight of the crowd.

On the Pet Sounds stage Ireland’s own David Kitt had stewards pull his younger brother out of the crowd and up onto the stage so they could perform a song together. The singer also declared “It’s great to be back in Ireland playing to all you crazy people.”

During their set on Stage 2 The Gossip played an upbeat cover version of George Michael’s ‘Careless Whisper’. Singer Beth Ditto also told how she was enjoying the OXEGEN festival vibe, she said: “This is my first year for festivals, you can really feel the energy of the crowd, that’s what I love the most”, and she revealed: “I didn’t even know what wellies were until we got here, we call them galoshes at home – but I know now!”

Scots indie rockers The View arrived by helicopter just minutes before they were due to appear, and encouraged fans to jump along with them during their Main Stage set, prompting a mass sing along with their hit single Same Jeans, while Avril Lavigne also drew thousands of fans to the Main Stage with her set that included a cover of the Blink 182 song ‘All the Small Things’.

Maximo Park singer Paul Smith said he was delighted to be playing OXEGEN for the third year in a row, he said: “The sun always seems to shine on Oxegen. We’ve had some really nice times here, it has a great atmosphere and the crowd are so warm, there’s a sort of sparkle about them, they really seem to appreciate the music, it’s great.”

Acts still to take to the stage this evening include Muse, Snow Patrol, Scissor Sisters, Interpol, Wu Tang Clan, Queens of the Stone Age and 29 piece band I’m From Barcelona.

Festival goers have also made a good job of enjoying many of the other attractions apart from the music at OXEGEN. The tented Sonas areas of the campsite where people can chill out and enjoy a range of food are proving immensely popular with hungry campers. The 24 hour restaurant, hot showers and convenience stores are also keeping the campers happy. Coke’s fun activities across the site are also keeping the party rolling. Their Giant Twister and Campsite Karaoke are proving a hit as it the ClashFinder which creates a personalised timetable of band preferences.

People have also been flocking to the MySpace Summer Daze Bus where bands including The Fratellis, The Horrors and The Maccabees have been treating a select bunch of festival goers to guerrilla gigs throughout the afternoon.

:punk:

REM frontman Michael Stipe, supermodel Helena Christensen, and actor Josh Hartnett are among the 80,000 music fans who have been enjoying a raft of world class acts on the first day of OXEGEN.

Also soaking up the festival vibe at The Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Weekend of the Year was actress Susan Sarandon and her partner Tim Robbins plus Stephen Rae.

On the stages the likes of Mika, Kings of Leon, Gossip, David Kitt, The View, Biffy Clyro and The Maccabees have been thrilling festival goers with energetic and memorable performances.

New York indie band The Bravery stormed the Green Room tent, playing a blistering live set before frontman Sam Endicott launched himself off the stage and into the crowd.

Enter Shikari singer Rou Reynolds also joined fans in the front few rows, throwing himself into the crowd several times during their Green Room stage set, the band also bounced on a trampoline on stage, much to the delight of the crowd.

On the Pet Sounds stage Ireland’s own David Kitt had stewards pull his younger brother out of the crowd and up onto the stage so they could perform a song together. The singer also declared “It’s great to be back in Ireland playing to all you crazy people.”

During their set on Stage 2 The Gossip played an upbeat cover version of George Michael’s ‘Careless Whisper’. Singer Beth Ditto also told how she was enjoying the OXEGEN festival vibe, she said: “This is my first year for festivals, you can really feel the energy of the crowd, that’s what I love the most”, and she revealed: “I didn’t even know what wellies were until we got here, we call them galoshes at home – but I know now!”

Scots indie rockers The View arrived by helicopter just minutes before they were due to appear, and encouraged fans to jump along with them during their Main Stage set, prompting a mass sing along with their hit single Same Jeans, while Avril Lavigne also drew thousands of fans to the Main Stage with her set that included a cover of the Blink 182 song ‘All the Small Things’.

Maximo Park singer Paul Smith said he was delighted to be playing OXEGEN for the third year in a row, he said: “The sun always seems to shine on Oxegen. We’ve had some really nice times here, it has a great atmosphere and the crowd are so warm, there’s a sort of sparkle about them, they really seem to appreciate the music, it’s great.”

Acts still to take to the stage this evening include Muse, Snow Patrol, Scissor Sisters, Interpol, Wu Tang Clan, Queens of the Stone Age and 29 piece band I’m From Barcelona.

Festival goers have also made a good job of enjoying many of the other attractions apart from the music at OXEGEN. The tented Sonas areas of the campsite where people can chill out and enjoy a range of food are proving immensely popular with hungry campers. The 24 hour restaurant, hot showers and convenience stores are also keeping the campers happy. Coke’s fun activities across the site are also keeping the party rolling. Their Giant Twister and Campsite Karaoke are proving a hit as it the ClashFinder which creates a personalised timetable of band preferences.

People have also been flocking to the MySpace Summer Daze Bus where bands including The Fratellis, The Horrors and The Maccabees have been treating a select bunch of festival goers to guerrilla gigs throughout the afternoon.

so no one is dead!!!!

I told ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that maybe he wanted to greet his fans as first reason?I think YES.

I don't think is all money problem or sueing problems....even if those factors are important too...it's obvious!

But, if he's sick he should stay at home and don't stress his voice or damage it! THAT would be really a problem because he's working with it!

I can't understand this situation completely. I think is very sweet if he likes to greet his fans...but I think we need to wait to see what really happened there before saying he did good, he did bad!

sorry for the poor english but I'm a bit sleepy :blush-anim-cl:

From what i know (not much) Universal gives him advance on what he will probably sell later... For him to produce this album and do everything related to it (i guess) : promotion, booking, appearances, etc. Otherwise, nobody could do an album, and that's why it's so hard for people without any music company to support them... At least at the beginning...

What will arrive in 2 years or so is royalties : money HE touches out of the album... Benefits if you want... His salary. And that's why he couldn't buy this phone a few weeks ago...

And for the voice aspect : OF COURSE, SURE, WHATEVER YOU WANT if it was me/you/us/Mika... But Universal thinks about money first...

..well, I guess you are answering by yourself...some minimal "damages" might be included...but who's paying the rest if its too much?

anyway, after Kata's post this particular discussion becomes pointless....

as for the rest - reading-Nibe etc...lets wait for the comments from the man himself (if any)