Okay MFC...Mika Only Sounds Like Freddie When He Sings "HEY" In Grace Kelly!

Lets Get One Thing Straight

Mika is Mika

Freddie is Freddie

END OF STORY

But Many Have Noticed (Including Your's Truly) That Our Dear Mika Sounds LIKE FREDDIE MERCURY IN "GRACE KELLY" WHEN HE SINGS THE LINE:

"Say What You Want, To Satisfy Yourself...HEY!"

Want Proof?

Listen To Freddie's "HEY, HEY, HEY" In "Don't Stop Me Now"

...Try It...It's Kind Of Scary...

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

If anybody could post the link to both songs that would be great!

:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

Hope This Starts Some Good Discussion

• Like 1

YAY! Totally 100% agree. :thumb_yello:

It's something in the tone of his voice during that line. I never quite understand the whole Freddie comparison. I mean, yes, it could spark SOME similarities, but not to the degree to where he gets asked about it in every interview. He sounds nothing like Mercury in any of his sounds except for that line...

yessss i agreee so much!!! it sounds a LOT alike, but thats like the only part in any of his songs that he sounds like freddie a lot ya know..

i think people keep saying that coz thats the only song theyve heard of mika, and theyre just assuming random things ya know.

mika does have amazing talent like freddie, but theyre not really that alike ya know?

yessss i agreee so much!!! it sounds a LOT alike, but thats like the only part in any of his songs that he sounds like freddie a lot ya know..

i think people keep saying that coz thats the only song theyve heard of mika, and theyre just assuming random things ya know.

mika does have amazing talent like freddie, but theyre not really that alike ya know?

OH I AGREE!!!

Great talents...but thats just about it when it comes to comparisons ...

Freddie's music was very very different...

it's true. that YEAH sound identical . this word sounds like freddie's yeah in don't stop me now. i've just listened. i belive that mika's album have some influences just like the influences from queen's JAZZ.

I actually think hes very much like him <Freddiesdouble:roftl: >

My reasons are , around December time Brian May posted on the Queen forum what a talent Mika is , next thing theres Mika and Brian May pictures everywhere.

He associates himself with Freddie in Grace Kelly , I think the YEAH is very much freddie but then again thats what he was trying to do.He also recorded Billy Brown on freds piano , so people are bound to say hes like Freddie.

His voice and style and range and early freddie are similar , but today Mika and Freddie during the later years are different totally

I do think Mika and Freddie are different , for me Mika even being compared to Freddie is a massive compliment , hes being compared to one of the best stars and live acts of all times.

Lets Get One Thing Straight

Mika is Mika

Freddie is Freddie

END OF STORY

But Many Have Noticed (Including Your's Truly) That Our Dear Mika Sounds ACTUALLY LIKE FREDDIE MERCURY IN "GRACE KELLY" WHEN HE SINGS THE LINE:

"Say What You Want, To Satisfy Yourself...HEY!"

Want Proof?

Listen To Freddie's "HEY, HEY, HEY" In "Don't Stop Me Now"

...Try It...It's Kind Of Scary...

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

If anybody could post the link to both songs that would be great!

:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

Hope This Starts Some Good Discussion

I totally agree :thumb_yello: When I heard that HEY for the first time I tought it was freddie :shocked: But appart from that they don't sound very similar... maybe the young freddie but not really.

My reasons are , around December time Brian May posted on the Queen forum what a talent Mika is , next thing theres Mika and Brian May pictures everywhere.

He associates himself with Freddie in Grace Kelly , I think the YEAH is very much freddie but then again thats what he was trying to do.He also recorded Billy Brown on freds piano , so people are bound to say hes like Freddie.

His voice and style and range and early freddie are similar , but today Mika and Freddie during the later years are different totally

I do think Mika and Freddie are different , for me Mika even being compared to Freddie is a massive compliment , hes being compared to one of the best stars and live acts of all times.

For "Grace Kelly", he accentuates the "HEY" because of the theme of the song. "So I try a little Freddie".

I agree :)

One thing they surely have in common.

Freddie knew how to get an audience excited. For me he was the best live performer ever (wow, Live Aid!!). And Mika's gigs are getting better and better, what will that be 10 years from now...

(for now I can only judge by seeing YouTube-videos, but hope I get to see him for real sometime. Thank God we have the internet!)

(bad English, I think..)

I think their voices are really different from one another, but IMHO it's their very dramatic way of singing that they have in common.

Even when Freddie was singing very dramatic, sad songs (take The Show Must Go On for example), he had this unexplainable thing in his voice, this over-dramatic way to deliver the lines, like he was being very serious *and* humorous at the same time... It's hard to explain this strange feeling Freddie's voice has always given me. You know what I mean? :blink:

Anyway, that's exactly what I feel in Mika's way of singing too.

By the way:

He also recorded Billy Brown on freds piano , so people are bound to say hes like Freddie.

In the Attitude interview Mika says the whole Freddie piano thingy is a rumor, right?

Agree with every word and like your new signiture. :thumb_yello: (One of my favourite songs)

One thing they surely have in common.

Freddie knew how to get an audience excited. For me he was the best live performer ever (wow, Live Aid!!). And Mika's gigs are getting better and better, what will that be 10 years from now...

(bad English, I think..)

You're absolutely right about that. I saw Paolo Nutini at the Mod Club on March 7 and the audience was very subdued. Mika played the same club on March 21 and it was a very, very different show. The audience was already pumped up before he came on because of the circus atmosphere, the balloons, lollipops, etc. And every time the audience got a bit quiet he went out of his way to get them jumping again and they responded every time. By the time they did Lollipop with the bubble machine everyone was going crazy.

I think if Grace Kelly had been on his third album there wouldn't have been so many Freddie comparisons. Most people had never heard of him before Grace Kelly was released and even sounding like Freddie for a line or two is pretty remarkable. I immediately made the connection and then learning of Mika's Middle Eastern/London background and his operatic training, it put me in mind of Freddie Mercury.

I changed my mind after listening to LICM though. Nothing else on the album bears a strong resemblance to Queen. A lot of Mika's music reminds me of the Beatles even though his voice is totally different from Lennon or McCartney's. His songwriting is very similar and it's easy to imagine him singing Beatles covers or vice versa.

Oh, meant to say - your English is great!

I agree with what Freddiesdouble has said. Mika has a magical "it" factor. Time will tell if it will be as Freddies' was. We will see when Mika is in front of a stadium crowd.

I see him on You Tube (haven't seen him live--yet) strutting on these little stages and I think...what would it be like to see him have the room to be free to really move about as he'd like?

When I first heard Grace Kelly, the piano in the song reminded me of Freddie, the vocal range reminded me of Freddie, the playfulness of the song reminded me of Freddie, the way Mika moved reminded me somewhat of Freddie. Mika's thin legs reminded me somewhat of Freddie. There was a great deal in that particular song that reminded me of Freddie. I can totally see where the comparisons came from.

However, knowing Mika more as I do now, I see Mika more as his own person, not a Freddie clone. No doubt in my mind that if he wanted, Mika could do a decent job of imitating Freddie...enough to make me, a nearly lifelong fan of him, swoon. But that isn't what he's about, and that's ok with me. I'm happy with Mika as he is, and seeing the flash of Freddie-esque nature every now and then makes me happy.

Mika IS Mika. And that is plenty enough. He's very talented. He does not have to copy Freddie to be talented and good. He's awesome as is.

No one could ever replace Freddie. No one. Not even Mika.

Cannot be 100% sure but I think I heard or read that Brian May is one of Mika's biggest fans and has said to him, "you are not like freddie, nobody ever could be, but you certainly have something that freddie had and that is apparent in so few performers" He has a sparkle and charisme on stage in my opinion to match Freddie's and yes I have seen both perform live. Mika has something that even freddie did not have and that is the one thing I can not name, it is just there whatebver it is. Mika is going to be around for a very long time IMHO and that can only be a good thing for real music like Queen played. It carries that to the future generations and as pointed out in this thread, the audience is always in a boyent mood before he appears on stage, but when those lights go blue and the relax intro starts, it reaches fever pitch and gives so much of an adrenaline rush, you want that moment to last forever:thumb_yello: :groupwave::sweatdrop:

I believe that Mika has a certain chameleon talent, the ability to switch gears and vocally imitiate a lot of people, with accent, intonation, voice quality and probably more that I can't name! He has regularly mentioned his airport accent, and with his a bility to pick languages up easily, is the talent to mimic voices and accents perfectly.

In Everybody's Talking, he does a very close version to the original, and I think his voice is flexible and skilled enough that he can do pretty much whatever imitations he wants, musically.

I think that in Grace Kelly, the Freddie similarity in that line is uncanny, and I also think that what we ave seen Mika do so far is a very small tip of a very large iceberg.

I look forward to having Mika surprise and delight me for many years to come!