XL REPUBBLICA - how Mika keeps himself busy ;-) - part 2

robertina

Thank you Maurizia for the scan!

So, here's a little summary about what he wrote:

Dear Mika, even if you have 80 years I hope you are still eccentric

Mika wrote a letter on August 17 to himself more adult. In fact, he can not read it unless the eve of his 80th birthday.

He starts writing that he does not know where in the world he will be because in recent years so many things have happened that there is no way to predict, however, he hopes that he is still alive.

Surely he will wonder why and the reason is simple: 30 years in the past wanted to say that life was almost over (a sort of "Twilight"). The only reason why he believes that they are important is because when you've 30 years, you become you become aware. The boundaries that demarcate the difference between childhood and adolescence are very labile and thus people live as though adulthood and childhood were the same thing.

He writes from the basement of the house in London with his dog that has just fallen asleep in a corner and his mother who asked him if he wanted a cup of tea. He says that surely they will be dead at that age and he thinks that surely he will know for sure what it means to lose someone dear and probably the he will think that he is very lucky but they both know that in the end they are not so perfect up close.

He is also sure that over time he will have made real friends and he does not speak of the famous ones because they come and go. he prays that he will remain so eccentric as he is now and that his friends will be a bit crazy.

Then he talks about the world situation by saying that the U.S. and the UK are guarding us, the Middle East is in turmoil, the city of Aleppo that he had visited at 25 is completely destroyed, Russia is anti-gay but the marriage in Europe and America is seen in a positive way except in Italy.

He also wonders if he had children and how because he knows he is not never been with a girl. However, he hopes that he has them and they will look like him. Then he asks how the music will be in the future and that he would really like to know it now...

He concludes by saying that he could write till to infinity but he must stop. He reminds him that in the end they are not so different and if he does not recognize himself in these words, unfortunately, something went wrong. Only one thing he hopes, that he has not become bald because in that case he hopes that he will bring a hat.

The last words are: "With all the love in the world...me, you."

Thank you Lucrezia :thumb_yello:

Thank you,Lucrezia! :huglove:

Thank you for this summary :wub2:

Thanks so much Lucrezia and Maurizia :flowers2:

Interesting what he says. Always a memory or a mention to his mother, isn't it nice? :wub2:

*waiting for the full english transcript*

Thank you Lucrezia!

Thank You Lucrezia!!

Excellent teaser, now looking forward to read the original!

Thank you Lucrezia :thumb_yello:

You're welcome!! :huglove:

Thank you Lucreiza!

Really nice one this time :)

Grazie mille for the summary! :wink2:

Can't wait to read the full version :boing:

Thank you very much for posting and for the summary :thumb_yello:

Looking forward to the full English version too :teehee:

You're welcome! :wink2:

Mika wrote a letter on August 17 to himself more adult. In fact, he can not read it unless the eve of his 80th birthday.

He starts writing that he does not know where in the world he will be because in recent years so many things have happened that there is no way to predict, however, he hopes that he is still alive.

Surely he will wonder why and the reason is simple: 30 years in the past wanted to say that life was almost over (a sort of "Twilight"). The only reason why he believes that they are important is because when you've 30 years, you become you become aware. The boundaries that demarcate the difference between childhood and adolescence are very labile and thus people live as though adulthood and childhood were the same thing.

He writes from the basement of the house in London with his dog that has just fallen asleep in a corner and his mother who asked him if he wanted a cup of tea. He says that surely they will be dead at that age and he thinks that surely he will know for sure what it means to lose someone dear and probably the he will think that he is very lucky but they both know that in the end they are not so perfect up close.

He is also sure that over time he will have made real friends and he does not speak of the famous ones because they come and go. he prays that he will remain so eccentric as he is now and that his friends will be a bit crazy.

Then he talks about the world situation by saying that the U.S. and the UK are guarding us, the Middle East is in turmoil, the city of Aleppo that he had visited at 25 is completely destroyed, Russia is anti-gay but the marriage in Europe and America is seen in a positive way except in Italy.

He also wonders if he had children and how because he knows he is not never been with a girl. However, he hopes that he has them and they will look like him. Then he asks how the music will be in the future and that he would really like to know it now...

He concludes by saying that he could write till to infinity but he must stop. He reminds him that in the end they are not so different and if he does not recognize himself in these words, unfortunately, something went wrong. Only one thing he hopes, that he has not become bald because in that case he hopes that he will bring a hat.

Thank you !!! Hate the fact that i'm half Sicilian and i still cant speak italian i need to get working on it ! Grazie !

Thanks! Really looking forward to read it:thumb_yello:

Thank you Maurizia for the scan! ."

Thanks so much Lucrezia and Maurizia :flowers2:

Interesting what he says. Always a memory or a mention to his mother, isn't it nice? :wub2:

*waiting for the full english transcript*

Prego :wink2:

Thank you so much Maurizia and Lucrezia :flowers2::huglove:

I knew he wanted babies :naughty:

That was my birthday wish for him in the photo album :wub2:

What he wrote is so sweet and intimate :swoon:

I love his blog :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks again, Lucreazia :flowers2: I'm so looking forward to reading this one :wub2: Is it really as intimate as the translation sounds? Still waiting for the original, his columns usually make more sense after reading the original, the Italian one is often a bit shorter.

You're welcome girls :huglove:

Thanks again, Lucreazia :flowers2: I'm so looking forward to reading this one :wub2: Is it really as intimate as the translation sounds? Still waiting for the original, his columns usually make more sense after reading the original, the Italian one is often a bit shorter.

Yeah I'm agree with you...it's very intimate :wub2:

Can't really wait for the original!!

That all seems awesome! Can't wait for the real thing.

I think he'd make a great Dad. I hope one day he will have kids. He could have some. Elton John, MJ, and Perez, have all fathered children. So can Mika.

That all seems awesome! Can't wait for the real thing.

I think he'd make a great Dad. I hope one day he will have kids. He could have some. Elton John, MJ, and Perez, have all fathered children. So can Mika.

He wrote about it in such a delicate way...

I loved that part, and the part about losing people you love, of course.

And the signature. :naughty:

MIKA, POP UP XL 89 (ENGLISH VERSION): “AN OPEN LETTER TO MY OLDER SELF (TURNING THIRTY)” (SEPTEMBER 2013)

XL-Mika-30-80-illustration2-654x404.jpg

On the eve of my 30th birthday, I decided to write an open letter to my older self. I can not read this letter again until the eve of my 80th birthday.

Dear Mika, I hope this finds you well. I have no idea where in the world you will be when you read this. My life so far has been made up of so many twists, turns and contradictions, that there is no way of predicting where or how you will be. For starters, I just hope you are alive! Even if the world has become a terrible or hostile place, without water and without seasons, I still hope you’re in it. Not because I want to maintain my presence for as long as possible, but just because I’m curious and you’re my only way of finding out.

You may wonder why I’m writing this, but the reason is quite simple. A lot of noise is made about someone turning 30. Yes, you can laugh, you’re about to turn 80. The only reason why I think we care is that childhood along with adolescence has been eroded. The normal transitions of life before adulthood don’t exist any more. We live a sort of ‘kidulthood’ for far too long and suddenly we hit 30 and have no more excuse. A 30 year old, a hundred years ago, was approaching the twilight era. You however, at 80, are probably not even considered old any more. I wonder how your health is and how long you might actually live? 100? 120? Perhaps you live in an augmented reality, which covers up all the destruction of the last 100 years. I hope that’s not the case. I hope things are still green and there is still winter and summer. What scares me the most, is that now as I turn 30, I don’t believe things as basic as seasons and fresh air are guaranteed in the future.

As those around me have been making a fuss about my 30th, this is my retaliation. As a boy, the only secret power I ever wanted was to freeze time. In order to relish a little longer in moments I loved and to reap vengeance on those who hurt me. This is me freezing time just for a moment. Like a capsule or a message in a bottle. Beyond that I don’t care about my age, as long as I am free.

I am writing this from the basement of my house in London’s World’s End. There’s a car engine outside making noise. My mother has just popped over to have a cup of tea and my dog is asleep in the corner. They will all be gone when you read this. I have never faced death, you have. How lucky you must think I am to have those I love around me in the flesh. Don’t romanticise too much however. They are not so perfect up close you know? So far I have seen terrible things happen to people I love dearly, but I’ve never lost any of them. You have and I’m sorry for the pain it caused you. I’m sure you’ve made some pretty amazing friends though. Not just the glamorous famous ones. Those ones I know already, come and go so fast, but real friends. I hope they are strange and keep you weird. Please stay weird.

In the world right now, the US and the UK are spying on us and no one can do anything about it. Even Obama is unable to take a hard line on the subject. The Middle East is in turmoil and the incredible city of Aleppo which you visited at 25 is pretty much destroyed. In Russia, the government is turning viciously and bizarrely anti gay, as a result of the bigotry of the powerful orthodox church, but marriage in Europe and America is looking positive. Except in Italy, God knows about that! I wonder if you have children and how you got those, as I already know for sure that you haven’t hooked up with a chick. I hope you have kids, I hope they look like me. And what about Music!? OH GOD I wish I knew what that would sound like in the future.

I could go on for ever, but I must stop. Please remember, we are not so different you and I. If you read this, and do not recognise the hand or the voice, something has gone terribly wrong. If you feel a little embarrassed, that’s OK. In the words of Doris Day, “che sera sera”. That’s true, but I can’t help but feel, that in the chaos of cause and effect that forms our future, the tiny action of writing this letter might change something further down the line. One thing, I hope your not bald, if so, wear a hat.

With all the love in the world,

You x

(Illustration by DaWack)

MIKA, POP UP XL 89 (ENGLISH VERSION): “AN OPEN LETTER TO MY OLDER SELF (TURNING THIRTY)” (SEPTEMBER 2013)

On the eve of my 30th birthday, I decided to write an open letter to my older self. I can not read this letter again until the eve of my 80th birthday.

Dear Mika, I hope this finds you well. I have no idea where in the world you will be when you read this. My life so far has been made up of so many twists, turns and contradictions, that there is no way of predicting where or how you will be. For starters, I just hope you are alive! Even if the world has become a terrible or hostile place, without water and without seasons, I still hope you’re in it. Not because I want to maintain my presence for as long as possible, but just because I’m curious and you’re my only way of finding out.

You may wonder why I’m writing this, but the reason is quite simple. A lot of noise is made about someone turning 30. Yes, you can laugh, you’re about to turn 80. The only reason why I think we care is that childhood along with adolescence has been eroded. The normal transitions of life before adulthood don’t exist any more. We live a sort of ‘kidulthood’ for far too long and suddenly we hit 30 and have no more excuse. A 30 year old, a hundred years ago, was approaching the twilight era. You however, at 80, are probably not even considered old any more. I wonder how your health is and how long you might actually live? 100? 120? Perhaps you live in an augmented reality, which covers up all the destruction of the last 100 years. I hope that’s not the case. I hope things are still green and there is still winter and summer. What scares me the most, is that now as I turn 30, I don’t believe things as basic as seasons and fresh air are guaranteed in the future.

As those around me have been making a fuss about my 30th, this is my retaliation. As a boy, the only secret power I ever wanted was to freeze time. In order to relish a little longer in moments I loved and to reap vengeance on those who hurt me. This is me freezing time just for a moment. Like a capsule or a message in a bottle. Beyond that I don’t care about my age, as long as I am free.

I am writing this from the basement of my house in London’s World’s End. There’s a car engine outside making noise. My mother has just popped over to have a cup of tea and my dog is asleep in the corner. They will all be gone when you read this. I have never faced death, you have. How lucky you must think I am to have those I love around me in the flesh. Don’t romanticise too much however. They are not so perfect up close you know? So far I have seen terrible things happen to people I love dearly, but I’ve never lost any of them. You have and I’m sorry for the pain it caused you. I’m sure you’ve made some pretty amazing friends though. Not just the glamorous famous ones. Those ones I know already, come and go so fast, but real friends. I hope they are strange and keep you weird. Please stay weird.

In the world right now, the US and the UK are spying on us and no one can do anything about it. Even Obama is unable to take a hard line on the subject. The Middle East is in turmoil and the incredible city of Aleppo which you visited at 25 is pretty much destroyed. In Russia, the government is turning viciously and bizarrely anti gay, as a result of the bigotry of the powerful orthodox church, but marriage in Europe and America is looking positive. Except in Italy, God knows about that! I wonder if you have children and how you got those, as I already know for sure that you haven’t hooked up with a chick. I hope you have kids, I hope they look like me. And what about Music!? OH GOD I wish I knew what that would sound like in the future.

I could go on for ever, but I must stop. Please remember, we are not so different you and I. If you read this, and do not recognise the hand or the voice, something has gone terribly wrong. If you feel a little embarrassed, that’s OK. In the words of Doris Day, “che sera sera”. That’s true, but I can’t help but feel, that in the chaos of cause and effect that forms our future, the tiny action of writing this letter might change something further down the line. One thing, I hope your not bald, if so, wear a hat.

You x

(Illustration by DaWack)

Thank you so much sweetheart :huglove::flowers2:

You x

(Illustration by DaWack)

Thanks a lot Alba!! :huglove: This is a personal and touchy letter - and imo, a new reminder why we all love this man sooo much :wub2: It's also funny that he refers to the Doris Day song, which was played a lot, with poor and bad sound, on the radio - in my childhood... :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

This is the best column he's done since the one on punchinello (hope I got that right), imo...:clap:

However...! Disappointed to see he thinks his older self won't have hooked up with a girl (even for a night! :aah:) this means he thinks he's a Kinsey 6 ( a person who is exclusively homosexual on the scale of sexual attraction - which is comparatively rare) which means that whole thing he used to say about being able to 'fall in love with anybody' was a total line of BS :aah:tsk tsk :shun:

This is the best column he's done since the one on punchinello (hope I got that right), imo...:clap:

However...! Disappointed to see he thinks his older self won't have hooked up with a girl (even for a night! :aah:) this means he thinks he's a Kinsey 6 ( a person who is exclusively homosexual on the scale of sexual attraction - which is comparatively rare) which means that whole thing he used to say about being able to 'fall in love with anybody' was a total line of BS :aah:tsk tsk :shun:

I think he was too shy , too insecure and that it was too early in his career to come out earlier but his songs have always been clear enough in my opinion.

Look at it that way maybe he did try it for a night but it didn't work out :teehee:

I know that happens :wink2:

I don't see him hooked up with a girl either but the good news is he can get married with his boyfriend and have babies since the laws have changed for the better :biggrin2::thumb_yello: and that was my wish for him on his 30th birthday that I wrote along with the pic I took of three naked babies at the beach :wub2:

I'm so sure he'll be a wonderful daddy and I'd love to look after his babies :mf_rosetinted: that's my job after all :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

You x

(Illustration by DaWack)

That is so thought provoking. What a lovely piece. I don't know whether to laugh, or cry about it.

Come on Nas I've been telling you this forever. :teehee:

However I don't think it's necessarily true that he has never ever felt any attraction whatsoever. Maybe he has felt it/tried it/whatever but at this point in his life he knows there is no future in falling in love with and having babies with a woman.

I have never been one to subscibe to the theory that you can't help who you fall in love with. I think at some point you make a decision (conscious or otherwise) to sort of let yourself fall in love. I am certain I would never fall in love with a married or gay man for instance. I just wouldn't give myself permission to do that because I know it would lead to unhappiness. It has nothing to do with sexuality.