XL REPUBBLICA - how Mika keeps himself busy ;-) - part 2

robertina

I also prefer his columns in which he speaks about personal experiences. Basically this column was ok but it's really just stating the obvious. I have yet to speak to a person who says "Omg I totally hope the government had a look at the chat I had with my mum last night via Facebook!!!!111!!!"

I must say I prefer when he writes about more personal issues, or when he let us discover something that few of us know (like with his tweets sometimes), but like some of you said, it's always interesting to know what Mika thinks about different subjects imo. Even if this one is obviously not very original :aah:

As I said before, I really don't care about this subject (skipping articles about Snowden and so in the news), but this time (as it was Mika writing :teehee:) I read it and it let me think about it a bit.

But I can understand that for most people this column is a bit boring or disappointing

With this article he made me think about the whole thing more, I admit when I heard about Snowden I really thout " O.K., I can´t change anything so let´s ignore the fact " . Also I think Mika told in this article people to look more what they write openly without being a teacher.

I really like this article :teehee:

To be honest, there is nothing in the column that I wasn't already aware of. As my nephew who is a computer consultant, is constantly banging on at me about internet security, and how I should stay off social networking as it's the spawn of the devil securitywise, don't open this email as it may have a Trojan virus.

It is good really, as he's better at keeping viruses off my computer than Norton is:naughty:

Also I think Mika told in this article people to look more what they write openly without being a teacher.

But he has completely glossed over the flip side of this. That people are using anonymity to stalk and harass others online with impunity or at least perceived anonymity/impunity. Teens are not committing suicide because they are revealing too much information about themselves online. They are being bullied because their tormentors are able to hide namelessly and facelessly behind a computer screen.

I guess we have to wait for the original article but I am getting the impression that Mika thinks the collection of data on Mikasounds is some kind of evil he would avoid if he could. But identity information is a way to protect people from those who wish to do harm and not just on a macro scale like governments vs terrorists. But, for example, between individuals in Mika's online community.

As you know but perhaps some others don't - it was just last week that some of us were being harassed by an anonymous account on Twitter and once I was able to identify this person's location by the technological footprints they left and expose their identity the harassment stopped. This lead to much moaning by an observer who claimed that I was publishing information illegally because it was an invasion of privacy, blah, blah. But not surprisingly this observer leaves her own technological footprint that proves she is online 16 hours a day lying to Mika fans about her whereabouts. She enjoys lying to people to get attention and try to create trouble for me and others and obviously doesn't want to be exposed for the liar that she is.

I think that whipping up paranoia by painting the government as a tyrant out to harm all its citizens (Big Brother) is as much simplistic propaganda as telling everyone we must all forgo basic rights for our own good. It's a lot more complicated than that and as long as people are using technology to plot and carry out harm to others then the technology is going to be used against them if we want any kind of safe and civilized society. I don't think many people want to live in a completely libertarian society because the result is total anarchy and you're going to end up with far more tangible problems than the government reading your email. It's not a black and white issue.

As for the point he is trying to make...I guess we will have to wait for the original text since a twice translated article is probably not reliable.

i'm hoping this is the case...though translations in the past have been pretty spot on...

It's not that it's beyond his competence but that he doesn't have any more insight into this topic than the thousands of other people who are opining on it at the moment. We all know about this story. No one wants the government spying on them. It goes without saying. There is direct information coming from Snowden and indirect information coming from journalists researching and editorializing. Unless Mika has some sort of explicit plan about how citizens like himself and us can effect change then he is simply stating the obvious - that the government is spying and no one should be okay with their privacy being invaded.

I also prefer his columns in which he speaks about personal experiences. Basically this column was ok but it's really just stating the obvious. I have yet to speak to a person who says "Omg I totally hope the government had a look at the chat I had with my mum last night via Facebook!!!!111!!!"

yup exactly...i do think this is all just stating the obvious...well obvious to me at least :aah:

EDIT: looking at christine's last post - i would've been way more interested on his take on private persons using internet anonymity for bad and he could've then tied this into the whole datagate thing...would've made for a better column IMHO

Edited by nas

I agree with Christine. Anonimity is not always such a good thing. People need rules and there have to be consequences when the rules are broken. It works out fine in real life so we shouldn't aim to make the virtual world some sort of Lord of the Flies-esque environment.

What I find though, with all the articles Mika writes, is that while we have the most amazing translators and are so grateful to them, it is only when we see the actual article in Mika's own words, that it becomes more REAL to us.

I've thought for ages that he should be made a Goodwill Ambassador to the UN, or something like that. He really could be awesome. He is already.

Yes! Both statements are so right Marilyn ! :thumb_yello:

EDIT: looking at christine's last post - i would've been way more interested on his take on private persons using internet anonymity for bad and he could've then tied this into the whole datagate thing...would've made for a better column IMHO

I found Christine`s post way more interesting in general.

I agree with Christine. Anonimity is not always such a good thing. People need rules and there have to be consequences when the rules are broken. It works out fine in real life so we shouldn't aim to make the virtual world some sort of Lord of the Flies-esque environment.

Yes no one wants innocent people to be thrown in jail but our solution is to create checks and balances in the justice system to try to avoid that as much as possible while keeping the rest of the population safe from criminals. The only way to prevent it absolutely is to completely dispense with the justice system and let everyone do whatever they want without punishment. So we all live with the very miniscule chance of being wrongly convicted of a crime because the alternative is almost certainly having your property and person threatened constantly by a handful of people who are allowed to act with impunity.

So, as Mellody mentions, this issue comes down to how much you trust your government with this information. Is it trying to stop terrorists or is it trying to install some sort of tyranny over all its people?

The use of this data by corporations is a whole different issue and a completely voluntary one. It is not just the greed of corporations that is at the root of their creepy data mining but the greed of the people using it. If we paid for the use of Google and Facebook instead of expecting to use it for free then all this targeted advertising and the data required to fuel it would not be necessary.

But he has completely glossed over the flip side of this. That people are using anonymity to stalk and harass others online with impunity or at least perceived anonymity/impunity. Teens are not committing suicide because they are revealing too much information about themselves online. They are being bullied because their tormentors are able to hide namelessly and facelessly behind a computer screen.

I guess we have to wait for the original article but I am getting the impression that Mika thinks the collection of data on Mikasounds is some kind of evil he would avoid if he could. But identity information is a way to protect people from those who wish to do harm and not just on a macro scale like governments vs terrorists. But, for example, between individuals in Mika's online community.

As you know but perhaps some others don't - it was just last week that some of us were being harassed by an anonymous account on Twitter and once I was able to identify this person's location by the technological footprints they left and expose their identity the harassment stopped. This lead to much moaning by an observer who claimed that I was publishing information illegally because it was an invasion of privacy, blah, blah. But not surprisingly this observer leaves her own technological footprint that proves she is online 16 hours a day lying to Mika fans about her whereabouts. She enjoys lying to people to get attention and try to create trouble for me and others and obviously doesn't want to be exposed for the liar that she is.

I think that whipping up paranoia by painting the government as a tyrant out to harm all its citizens (Big Brother) is as much simplistic propaganda as telling everyone we must all forgo basic rights for our own good. It's a lot more complicated than that and as long as people are using technology to plot and carry out harm to others then the technology is going to be used against them if we want any kind of safe and civilized society. I don't think many people want to live in a completely libertarian society because the result is total anarchy and you're going to end up with far more tangible problems than the government reading your email. It's not a black and white issue.

Of course I know about the harrassing and it was good you could stop it ( hopefully forever ).

But I also think it´s important that some people think about the stuff they post and think it´s harmless. Some people I know in real life posted every few minutes in which shop they were right now, when they went away on holiday, they post their adresses too. This is an invatation for thieves to get whatever they want. I would never post pictures of my kids openly on FB or when I want to use the bathroom and stuff like that. One of my " FB friends " posted where I work and I deleted it at once because this is something no one needs to know about me. This is my choice. If I would decide to be a troll and be mean to other people I know there are possibilities to get caught :wink2:. I hope what I wrote makes any sense because I think it´s a little bit difficult to express my feelings in English.

And yes, we need rules to make a communitiy ( here or all over the world ) work!

Mika can write a column about whatever sh*t he wants to, of course... but just because it is written by him it doesn´t mean it´s going to be interesting :aah:

There must be like 8934758937589327589375893475 things he could give us a personal opinion about. Or as it has been pointed, he had some issues not that far ago about internet privacy. Mika himself posted on Facebook about the harassment Christine has talked about. He could have made it something personal, but it just seems he´s been watching the news lately and decided to gather some general aspects about it and put all them together in a column.

Anyway, probably he´s busy multitasking a lot with gigs and X Factor auditions and stuff these days, so... I hope he will go back to some really interesting subjects soon.

But I also think it´s important that some people think about the stuff they post and think it´s harmless. Some people I know in real life posted every few minutes in which shop they were right now, when they went away on holiday, they post their adresses too. This is an invatation for thieves to get whatever they want. I would never post pictures of my kids openly on FB or when I want to use the bathroom and stuff like that. One of my " FB friends " posted where I work and I deleted it at once because this is something no one needs to know about me. This is my choice.

Yes I agree with you. I don't understand why people want to post their every movement online. What other purpose does it serve except to feed the narcissism of the people who do it? If someone's on holiday I might find that interesting but I couldn't care less if they have checked into Starbucks for the fourth time this week.

But that's not really the point of Mika's article is it? He seems to be railing against Big Government and corporations in control of Big Data. Warning against their Orwellian propaganda to convince us we are invisible drops of water in an ocean in order to distract us from their plans to violate our privacy for their own nefarious purposes.

"Each of us must get angry because the details of our lives, our habits no longer belong to us and the choice of what to share with the rest of the world is not ours."

He seems to be saying that it's your data being shared against your will that is the problem, not your own carelessness in voluntarily broadcasting things you shouldn't.

Personally I am far more concerned about what Mika fan stalkers and ex-boyfriends and potential employers, etc. have access to than I am about the US government reading my emails.

Sure it does not help that Google and Facebook are motivated to make my data as available as possible in order to collect advertising revenue from it. That means if I put things online that Google and Facebook may make these things available to the individuals who are trying to find information about me that I may want to keep from them. But there is still a choice involved. Google and Facebook do not have video cameras and microphones set up in my living room. If I don't want random people on the internet to have certain information it is my choice to keep it off the internet.

Before Snowdon revealed the secret 'monitoring' of the government on civilian internet use, I was still deeply worried about the internet. It's great for resource for research and learning, as well as keeping up to date with current affairs. However, sometimes it seems that internet communication is taking over real-life communication and conversation. So much gossip and nastiness goes on through social networking, as well as encouraging narcissistic tendencies (I forget who made this valid point). Cyberbullying aside, people often seem to be more willing to tweet about themselves or snapchat 'selfies' than actually have a real conversation. It is particularly frustrating for me as a conscientious objector to social networking!:aah:

I do feel uncomfortable about being spied on over the web, and think that maybe other methods of terrorist prevention could be used to better effect- call me old fashioned and naive, but it seems that insufficient monitoring of travelling to other countries and bag searching tend to be responsible for many of recent terrorist attacks. Having said that, I do somewhat disagree with Mika: it's not that GCHQ appear interested at all collect data on our personal lives or anything, they just want to try to detect extremist people before they do something nasty. Where they draw the line at intrusion of privacy vs. public safety is another matter entirely though...

Why do I feel so uncomfortable about posting on this subject? It just seems risky somehow!:shocked:

a mi me encanta MFC. Y si para formar parte tengo a veces por descuido desvelar links de mis paginas de Facebook o Space y se me roban la cuenta la primera culpable soy yo. Pero la cosa no va solo ahí si creo cuentas ficticias y enlaces ficticios a veces pierdo oportunidades mayores.. Yo se que hay mucha gente sin escrupulos, o acosadores de cuentas pero es inevitable siempre que se pueda hay que proteger nuestros datos y nosotros somo los principales responsables de nuestros LOADS o de lo que entre en los sitios.

Me extraña que Twiter no sea un principal enlace para estudiar por los agentes de cazaa de información personal porque es la más actual. También cuando entramos a una red de ordenadores compartidos podemos perder nuestra seguridad.

O sea hay tantos responsables indirectos que es dificil controlar o castigar a las empresas y directivos que te roban la informacion para adherirte o sumarte a sus clubs"" por allamarlo de alguna manera.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9334&stc=1&d=1374231620

I love to MFC. And if I have to be part sometimes inadvertently reveal links to my Facebook pages or Space and stolen the account the first blame me. But it does not go there if I just fake accounts and fictitious links sometimes lose opportunities greater .. I know there are many people without scruples, or stalkers but inevitably accounts whenever possible we must protect our data and we somo primarily responsible for our LOADS or so between sites.

I wonder Twiter not a primary liaison for private study hunting agents personal information because it is the most current. Also when we enter a shared computer we can lose our security.

So there are many indirect responsibility is difficult to control or punish companies and executives that steal the information to adhere or Login to join their clubs "" by give it any name. somehow.

is like a use of Copyright for all the users...

attachment.php?attachmentid=9335&stc=1&d=1374231803

GCHQ didn´t flout law with email intercepts

pARLIAMENTS SPY WATCHDOG CALLED FOR AN INVESTIGATION INTELLIGENCE into Britains´s law on intelligence EAVESDROPPING YESTERDAY AS IT CLEARED GCHQ OF FLOUTING THE EXISTING RULES.

The intellligence and Security Commitee ruled that the listenig sstation in Cheltenham acted with ministerial backing when it requested elecronic intercepts from the US National Security Agency´s Prism programme.

But the committee raised questions about whether the rules governing intercepts are fit for purpose and whether there is a need for new laws.

GCHQ faced criticism after NASA whistleblower Edward Snowden claimed that British spies used te Prism system to by-pass British Laws. The committee saisd the claims were unfounded" and that in each case where GCHQ sought information from US an intercept warrant signed by a minister was already in place.But crucially it has not yet investigated what happened when the NAS handed over unsolicited intelligence.

And in dealing with only the content of private communications."" the commitee hasn´t examined the vast majority of the intelligence generated by PRISM.

This comunications data, or metadeat reveals who sendes emails and other messazges, to whom they send them, at what time and from where.

Findings´provide litle reassurance"

While GCHQ hsan´t broken existing law, the watchdog sugested that the law hasn´t caught up with changes in technology that allow the listening post to tap into millions of electronic messages travelling down fibre optic cables.

the committee said "its proper to consider whether the c urent statutory framework governing access to private communications remains adequate."

Shami Chakrabarti direc tor of civil rights group Liberty said the committee ´s findingwopuld do little reassure people that their data wasn´t being improperly accessed.

Daily Mail 18th July 2013

Keeping our society safe and successful in the Internet age. GCHQ provides intelligence, protects information and informs relevant UK policy to keep our society safe ...

www.gchq.gov.uk

And other things::: i love the respect for humans rights for freedom of expression and dthis right is violate in other countries Árabes- so i damn it.. PLS not more...

post-20706-142983700662_thumb.jpg

post-20706-142983700664_thumb.jpg

Edited by mer

it makes much more sense to me now. all he really asks of the individuals is to respect the privacy of others online, and he's certainly right with that. it might even be a hint to the recent happenings regarding cyber-bullying against his fans.

it makes much more sense to me now. all he really asks of the individuals is to respect the privacy of others online, and he's certainly right with that. it might even be a hint to the recent happenings regarding cyber-bullying against his fans.

I don't think this or the examples he gives are problems because of privacy violation per se. And I don't see how it ties in with corporatations collecting data and the government acting Orwellian. Yes if someone in your high school outs you online it is a violation of your privacy. But they can achieve the same ends by spreading a rumour around school, writing it on the bathroom wall, etc. I think using the internet to reveal someone's private information and using the internet to obtain someone's private information are two entirely different things.

I`ve noticed that each time I wait for a new XL column, I also can`t wait to see an artwork by DaWack illustrating it))) I like how they supplement each other. It`s like a complete impression for me.

This drawing - the waves - reminds me of Hokusai, it`s very Japanese)

My dream is to illustrate Mika`s columns too

Edited by Julia Welcomes

I really don't wish to be controversial, so please don't take my post badly, but I just stumbled upon this article (English version) after not reading his column for a while, and I have to say that it left me decidedly underwhelmed.

In my opinion, it is a half arsed attempt at writing something, like he just needed to fill the page and found something that he could jot down quickly without much thought: I don't find any real feelings or opinions behind it, just a few facts mixed with a few stereoptypical statements, all very lukewarm and meh, and not really much of substance. Like he's just putting down a few initial lines of thought but not going into any of them.

Anyway, that is just what I see in it :wink2:

I`ve noticed that each time I wait for a new XL column, I also can`t wait to see an artwork by DaWack illustrating it))) I like how they supplement each other. It`s like a complete impression for me.

This drawing - the waves - reminds me of Hokusai, it`s very Japanese)

My dream is to illustrate Mika`s columns too

In this drawing I see "troubled water" ( and no bridge over ) We're all thrown helpless around :blink: DaWack illustrations are mostly very good, must be a great co-operation, between brother and sister :wub2:

Love,love

me

In this drawing I see "troubled water" ( and no bridge over ) We're all thrown helpless around :blink: DaWack illustrations are mostly very good, must be a great co-operation, between brother and sister :wub2:

Love,love

me

Who is DaWack actually?