XL REPUBBLICA - how Mika keeps himself busy ;-) - part 2

robertina

thanks for the translation lu! :flowers2:

hm, it's interesting that he says that people accept the spying because they feel worthless, one among many. he does have a point with some of the things he writes, but i can't agree with all he says. i know the dangers of using the internet. i suppose that not only the us and uk are spying on the internet users, but that it happens everywhere, in every country. i heard on the news yesterday that snowden has documents that would reveal much more than he has revealed so far - and really, the whole thing doesn't surprise me.

i know i can't trust facebook with my data, it's common knowledge. i do a few things, like putting my profile to private or turning off the face recognition function. but the only way how to be sure would be to stop using facebook, or better never have started using it at all, and i don't want that. i could encrypt every e-mail i send, surf the web only via proxy servers, and block any kinds of scripts or cookies. but this would make surfing the web a lot more difficult for me, i couldn't use every website like i do now, and i'd have to spend a lot of time and energy. and what for? yes, it might stop some random hackers from reading my e-mails, and some companies from collecting data - but for the government it wouldn't be a big obstacle, and it'd make my mails only more interesting to them if they're encrypted.

so complete boycot of the internet is the only thing i could do, that would actually help (if a lot of people do it). and to me, the benefits of the internet are important enough so i accept the downside. i try to publish as little personal data as possible - but in some cases i don't have a choice. for example, in german law you're obliged to publish your full name and address on a website you run. the reason for this is to protect internet users - for example, if i publish bad things about someone else on my website, they know who they can sue because my name and address is there. or if i have an online shop and don't deliver the products. so while this definitely makes sense for anyone whose rights are hurt on a website, for me as a website owner there is no way how to stay anonymous. would i want to stay anonymous? yes. would i want someone who cyber-bullies me on their website to stay anonymous? no. solution? don't run a website. and well, i don't want to stop doing that. :wink2:

maybe the reason why i accept the spying is because i'm not scared of a government. if i acted against the law, yes, then i'd be scared. but the way it is, the only thing that worries me if i have to publish my address online is that some random stalker turns up where i live, this would be a real life threat for me. but luckily, chances for that are low. if companies send me personalized e-mails, i can just ignore them. and the reason for the government's spying is probably the same like with the websites, guess it's necessary for people's protection. if that spying ever prevents another 9/11, it'd have been worth it. maybe i'm naive there, but i think that any modern, democratic government generally wants to protect their citizens, and wouldn't use the results of the spying against them - unless of course they break the law.

maybe they should just be more open about what they do - but then, this might also lead to unwanted results, if it means that the data can get into other hands than the government's. :dunno:

so it's all a very complicated thing. i agree with some of what mika writes, but i also know that you have to be careful what you wish for, and that like most things in life this isn't just black and white.

hm, it's interesting that he says that people accept the spying because they feel worthless, one among many. he does have a point with some of the things he writes, but i can't agree with all he says. i know the dangers of using the internet. i suppose that not only the us and uk are spying on the internet users, but that it happens everywhere, in every country. i heard on the news yesterday that snowden has documents that would reveal much more than he has revealed so far - and really, the whole thing doesn't surprise me.

i know i can't trust facebook with my data, it's common knowledge. i do a few things, like putting my profile to private or turning off the face recognition function. but the only way how to be sure would be to stop using facebook, or better never have started using it at all, and i don't want that. i could encrypt every e-mail i send, surf the web only via proxy servers, and block any kinds of scripts or cookies. but this would make surfing the web a lot more difficult for me, i couldn't use every website like i do now, and i'd have to spend a lot of time and energy. and what for? yes, it might stop some random hackers from reading my e-mails, and some companies from collecting data - but for the government it wouldn't be a big obstacle, and it'd make my mails only more interesting to them if they're encrypted.

so complete boycot of the internet is the only thing i could do, that would actually help (if a lot of people do it). and to me, the benefits of the internet are important enough so i accept the downside. i try to publish as little personal data as possible - but in some cases i don't have a choice. for example, in german law you're obliged to publish your full name and address on a website you run. the reason for this is to protect internet users - for example, if i publish bad things about someone else on my website, they know who they can sue because my name and address is there. or if i have an online shop and don't deliver the products. so while this definitely makes sense for anyone whose rights are hurt on a website, for me as a website owner there is no way how to stay anonymous. would i want to stay anonymous? yes. would i want someone who cyber-bullies me on their website to stay anonymous? no. solution? don't run a website. and well, i don't want to stop doing that. :wink2:

maybe the reason why i accept the spying is because i'm not scared of a government. if i acted against the law, yes, then i'd be scared. but the way it is, the only thing that worries me if i have to publish my address online is that some random stalker turns up where i live, this would be a real life threat for me. but luckily, chances for that are low. if companies send me personalized e-mails, i can just ignore them. and the reason for the government's spying is probably the same like with the websites, guess it's necessary for people's protection. if that spying ever prevents another 9/11, it'd have been worth it. maybe i'm naive there, but i think that any modern, democratic government generally wants to protect their citizens, and wouldn't use the results of the spying against them - unless of course they break the law.

maybe they should just be more open about what they do - but then, this might also lead to unwanted results, if it means that the data can get into other hands than the government's. :dunno:

so it's all a very complicated thing. i agree with some of what mika writes, but i also know that you have to be careful what you wish for, and that like most things in life this isn't just black and white.

i'd been thinking some of the same things so i agree w/ you on a lot of these points, maybe even more than i agree with Mika :teehee:

I was new to the internet when I joined this site, that's why I used my real name. But afterwards, for other sites, apart from ms, I didn't. I used abbreviated versions of my name.

I cancelled facebook after a while, I can't use it anyway, and though I have a twitter, it's obscure, and named after my small business.

I don't know if we can always be safe. But what I've learned is...

Don't click on an email if you don't know who the sender is.

If the email says "Dear Friend", or something like that, send it to the spam folder, because it's some person with a sob story, saying they are dying and want you to be their beneficiary, if you send x amount of cash for x,y and z so they can sort it out.

If an email says you've won the lottery, you haven't. They want money to release the funds and ask for your bank details. Then they empty your bank.

Never give your bank details, ever! If there an email that is from, what seems to be your bank and they say there's been activity in your account and need your bank details. It's not your bank! If you are worried, contact your bank yourself and check. Chances are they know nothing about it.

Emails from PayPal always have your name on. If the email says "Dear Paypal Customer," or something like that, that isn't actually your name, it's bogus. don't respond.

Those things may help some people. The scams are quite well known, but maybe not to everyone, so it was worth listing them.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

we are at war and you do not know (the “datagate” scandal and us)

You are not worth anything! You are just a drop in the most bigger ocean than you can imagine. No one remembers a drop, everybody remembers the waves. You're useless and forgettable as a grain of sand of last beach where you've been, or as a single drop of rain on the windshield during the last storm. It's in this way that they want make you feel. They make you feel like a useless piece of **** and you act exactly as if you were it. These are companies, enterprises, corporations, governments and individuals that collect information and patterns of behavior without you knowing it and without your permission. And we are the water droplets that form the ocean. When we speak about the violation of our privacy we justify the thing psychologically saying to ourselves that we are not so significant to be important. If our little indiscretions or our personal habits are recorded and spied on, what does it matter? Our whims or some secrets are not threats nor to national security nor even for life. I realize that we were dangerously desensitized about our privacy.

I was fascinated about the recent scandal of the "Datagate". Not only because the governments of the U.S. and the UK have intercepted our emails and our phone calls but also for the answer of the audience so quiet compared to the media response. And this is neither the first nor the last time we'll deal with similar scandals. The methods of ensure the privacy and the way to collect user data from Google and Facebook have been the subject of searches of the European Authorities.

On my site I am forced to collect the basic data of subscribers but also to inform users that this is the practice. It is a rule imposed by Universal who runs the site and it is the owner and this is beyond my control. On other sites I collect only the data of those who subscribe to the fan club. We are often told that posting the details of our daily lives on Twitter and Facebook we ourselves who chafe the boundaries of our privacy. The fundamental thing that we forget is the choice. We choose how much and what to share, what to show or what to bury in the closet.

We are not worth anything. It 's easier forget and forgive and let the problem get worse when we think that our lives and our communications are irrelevant. It’s not like that. Taken individually, our data may not be important but for those who collect them are a gold mine and we need to be aware of how valuable they are. Each of us must get angry because the details of our lives, our habits no longer belong to us and the choice of what to share with the rest of the world is not ours.

In this ocean of people and information is easy to forget the consequences that a user of the Internet, in the vast world of Web, can have on another person. How many other teens have to cry in secret after being humiliated via Facebook in front of the whole school? How many more guys risk to commit suicide after that their sexual orientation was publicly heralded by strangers online? The fact that we are a multitude cools our reactions to these events even if we are ready to warm up now for a gossip.

Nothing will be solved as long as each of us will not accept the reciprocal responsibility for the privacy of others. Only then we will be united against the government and against companies that now they seem to be more and more, as never before, the same thing. Only then we could stop this violent vortex in this crap Orwellian world.

And here's a pic of the column

http://t.co/O4KdaUyMra

thanks for translatating :flowers2:

he's so right, we don't care, but we really should care more about the fact that our privacy is invaded this way

You are not worth anything! . . . You're useless and forgettable as a grain of sand of last beach where you've been, or as a single drop of rain on the windshield during the last storm . . . They make you feel like a useless piece of **** and you act exactly as if you were it.

Hey! This is relevant to me! :aah:

On my site I am forced to collect the basic data of subscribers but also to inform users that this is the practice. It is a rule imposed by Universal who runs the site and it is the owner and this is beyond my control. On other sites I collect only the data of those who subscribe to the fan club.

If Mika is reading my emails, I'm in trouble. :naughty:

Nothing will be solved as long as each of us will not accept the reciprocal responsibility for the privacy of others.

But . . . what does that mean? How does one accept that responsibility, and how does that change anything? When I heard what the government was doing, I was angry, but not surprised. Still, what good does getting angry do when there's nothing you can do to fight? Demand the government change, they'll ignore you. Vote in different people, they'll do the same thing anyway, just maybe in a slightly different way. :banghead:

But . . . what does that mean? How does one accept that responsibility, and how does that change anything? When I heard what the government was doing, I was angry, but not surprised. Still, what good does getting angry do when there's nothing you can do to fight? Demand the government change, they'll ignore you. Vote in different people, they'll do the same thing anyway, just maybe in a slightly different way. :banghead:

Well that's just it isn't it? What's anyone going to do about it, including Mika? Pointing out the obvious in a magazine article is not going to change what goes on inside intelligence agencies. The US government assassinates people and incarcerates people without due process and people accept it because a) they are willing to sacrifice certain rights for security; b) they feel like it's not their rights that are being violated because they are not the ones under suspicion and c) they feel powerless to stop it.

If people will accept drone strikes on US citizens and incarceration without due process I don't know how upset they are going to get about metadata being collected from phone calls and emails. And really who didn't think this was going on anyway? Maybe I am cynical but it's not like this wasn't happening during the Bush administration and did anyone really think you could put that genie back in the bottle? All of that information exists. Of course the government is going to try to acquire it and use it. They've been at war for over 10 years.

I think it's extremely naive and ignorant to believe that what you voluntarily put out there on someone else's networks is "private". I think anyone who works for a corporation understands that whatever you say/write using company networks and equipment is subject to surveillance and can be used against you. We are not talking about people breaking into your house and setting up surveillance equipment inside your living room. We are talking about you sending data out into the world using networks and equipment that don't belong to you. If you don't want anyone using your data your only option is to stay off the grid.

I must admit, I can't say that I'm happy with governments grabbing data from people who are just going about their own day to day business, and not hurting anyone.

BUT, there are people out there who do want to hurt people like you and me, and their data is getting checked too, and yes, they have the right to be indignant at their data being monitored, just as we are, but they don't want governments finding out about their other activities, the activities that will cause harm to innocent people. And sometimes the harmless data puts authorities onto these activities via a paper trail. So what to do about that?

Do we accept governments getting hold of such data, and keeping us safe by using it to catch these people, or do we not accept it, defending their right to privacy, but possibly leaving ourselves wide open to extreme harm?

I REALLY don't like the fact that companies can be given access to our personal data, I don't see the need for them to have it. With the internet open to all, if I want a service, I know where to find it, I don't need hoards of companies jamming up my email account offering the same service, especially when I may not even need it.

It's annoying and it doesn't seem to serve any helpful purpose.

And some of these companies don't seem to have 100% airtight security, leaving data open to any Tom Dick or Harry Hacker to steal it and take our identity away, which to me is the biggest worry. Taking someones identity via their personal data is so violating to a person, just like getting home to find your house ransacked. But it seems harder to catch the identity thief, so you find yourself (via changing passwords, getting new credit/debit cards etc) having to change parts of your identity, something that was a part of you from maybe the start of your adult life, something you thought was safe for life, but now taken by someone else. It's upsetting, especially when you thought it was ironclad and untouchable, but you find it isn't.

As far as Snowden is concerned, all he has done is prove what many conspiracy theorists have been screaming about for years, so I don't think it's any real surprise to anyone that governments have been monitoring us. I'm just surprised that the governments think that we are stupid, and that we DIDN'T know they were doing it!

I think it's extremely naive and ignorant to believe that what you voluntarily put out there on someone else's networks is "private". I think anyone who works for a corporation understands that whatever you say/write using company networks and equipment is subject to surveillance and can be used against you. We are not talking about people breaking into your house and setting up surveillance equipment inside your living room. We are talking about you sending data out into the world using networks and equipment that don't belong to you. If you don't want anyone using your data your only option is to stay off the grid.

I agree, Christine. The corporation I work for monitors my emails, my phone calls, my Internet usage as well as having a camera aimed at me all day long. Supposedly the camera is for my protection since I work in banking but the area I work in is not accessible by non-employees so I don't think it is for my protection. But I do know it is there. And I know my communication is monitored. So I have to stop and think whenever I write an email or make a phone call. But it is the companies equipment and I am doing a job for them so I have to accept it.

And it is true, if you don't want anyone using your data your only option is to stay off the Internet. And everyone has that choice. It is not mandatory to be on Facebook or Twitter. It may make life more difficult to be off the grid because we use technology so much in our daily lives but it is still a choice. You can live without the Internet. I choose to use it and accept it...just like I do at work.

in china the administration don't really care whether your info is real or not,you can even create a fake one as long as you want when you need to sign up,that's a lot different from twitter or fb,companies prefer your phone numbers,which is a huge headache for everyone.it's easier to control here cos foreign networks are forbidden in china(politics problem,quite unfair).but as an international netizen it could be dangerous,especially in big websites as twitter and google.whether you are willing to take risks totally depends on whether it's worth sharing it or not.it's the same problem google glasses had met.completely convenient but it makes people annoyed,being spotted at any time?that's not a good idea at all.technology confuse people every time,but always we have to follow it cos techs is the trend of world.

it's about how deep you need to go,the surface is usually safe,but inside of an event?well that's what makes it dangerous.i totally agree to be aware,but nota bene,it doesn't mean using data needed networks is gonna destroy you.

Don't click on an email if you don't know who the sender is.

it can even be a virus if you know the sender... if they have the virus on their computer, and it sends e-mails automatically to everyone in the address book. so i also never click a weird link in an e-mail, if the friend who sent it doesn't explain what it is. and i have a non-existant e-mail-address saved as "aaaa" in my address book, so in case i have a virus i will get a failure notification if it tries to send an e-mail to this address.

i just read on the news today that the US spying program is likely to have prevented 2 terrorist attacks in germany. in 2007 and 2011, some men were arrested who had been building bombs, one of them had been in an al quaida training camp. and well, i don't know if the hints the german police got really came from the US spying program, like they say now, but i bet it was some sort of spying program, by whoever. :rolls_eyes: and well, they first observed these guys for several months before arresting them, probably to collect "real-life" proof that they were indeed planning something. guess you can't base a lawsuit on the results of these secret spying programs, they first need some proof they can use in a lawsuit.

I have no idea what Mika is talking about and morever I find it the less interesting column ever :aah:

come on!he's just showing his perspect on current affairs,don't tell me you don't really care:teehee:

well,better speak out if it's gonna explode in your mind:naughty:

I´m not the "keeping things for myself" kind... I just can´t see any of his creativity here, and I´m here for that, his creativity, his music... but his opinion in such a boring subject.... :aah: oh well... I don´t know... In my opinion (funny how we need to make it clear everytime we disagree, as if other times I was talking in someone else´s opinion... pfffff) this doesn´t add anything. I don´t see the link between Mika as an artist and this column, but hey! it must be me :teehee:

I´ll wait for the English version to see if it has any hidden aspect that will make me all fangurl over it :mf_rosetinted:

I´m not the "keeping things for myself" kind... I just can´t see any of his creativity here, and I´m here for that, his creativity, his music... but his opinion in such a boring subject.... :aah: oh well... I don´t know... In my opinion (funny how we need to make it clear everytime we disagree, as if other times I was talking in someone else´s opinion... pfffff) this doesn´t add anything. I don´t see the link between Mika as an artist and this column, but hey! it must be me :teehee:

I´ll wait for the English version to see if it has any hidden aspect that will make me all fangurl over it :mf_rosetinted:

I agree with you. I felt the same when he wrote a recent XL article about the US. I think the subject is wrong. The world doesn`t need another political "expert", it needs a good musician, imo.

I have no idea what Mika is talking about and morever I find it the less interesting column ever :aah:

:naughty:

I've been super duper busy irl but ofc I've been sneaking peeks at mfc, and when I read this column I thought :blink: i have no idea what the ultimate point of this piece was...thought maybe I read too fast and I really need to comb through it to get the bottom line... Obvs some points he makes, I get- and disagree with... Basically Christine said exactly what my thoughts are on the whole privacy issue...

I didn't care for the American column either...:aah:

I don't think there's anything wrong with him writing about subjects that are not creative since writing itself is a creative activity. The issue with this one is that I think it's unlikely that this is an area of Mika's expertise so I'm not sure the value of him opining on it in a general way. I can understand his discussions about the Catholic church or concern about what is happening in Syria or with gay rights especially since it affects him personally and may be ignored by the general public. But everyone is aware of this story and is likely getting their information from a more informed source than Mika. :naughty:

As for the point he is trying to make...I guess we will have to wait for the original text since a twice translated article is probably not reliable.

I don't consider this subject to be boring neither beyond Mika's competence. My husband worked with the security systems, and I am aware a bit more that other people of which things exactly can be used by Internet sharks, and in which way. Strangely, but recently I had a splash of worrying about such things, a week or something before this column! And I think that such Internet freak as Mika (his words, not mine :fisch: ) knows why he had chosen this topic.

Most of all I like the topics which are far from music. Because it shows more clearly his personality and his human interests and thoughts. Can't wait for the original, because his own structures add a lot of important subtleties.

I don't consider this subject to be boring neither beyond Mika's competence.

It's not that it's beyond his competence but that he doesn't have any more insight into this topic than the thousands of other people who are opining on it at the moment. We all know about this story. No one wants the government spying on them. It goes without saying. There is direct information coming from Snowden and indirect information coming from journalists researching and editorializing. Unless Mika has some sort of explicit plan about how citizens like himself and us can effect change then he is simply stating the obvious - that the government is spying and no one should be okay with their privacy being invaded.

When Mika wrote about Catholicism he spoke about how his own personal experience informs his opinions and explained how he was conflicted and why, etc. He is just speaking very generally here and not personally. And I think you have to be especially informed about a topic for that to be of use to others. At least on something that has been headline news for 6 weeks.

I agree with you. I felt the same when he wrote a recent XL article about the US. I think the subject is wrong. The world doesn`t need another political "expert", it needs a good musician, imo.

Well I love that he talks about global issues and stuff. Things like Identity Theft are worrying, and increasing all the time, because, while we're all shredding our papers and thinking we're safe, we can slip up so easily online.

What I find though, with all the articles Mika writes, is that while we have the most amazing translators and are so grateful to them, it is only when we see the actual article in Mika's own words, that it becomes more REAL to us.

There is something about the way Mika writes. It's like his soul is there in the text, and little things that translations can't pick up on, come out of the article.

If that makes any sense to anyone.

I'm so glad Mika is not just another popstar. He doesn't use the column to promote himself in that way, he shows he's interested in the world as it is today, and I've thought for ages that he should be made a Goodwill Ambassador to the UN, or something like that. He really could be awesome. He is already.

Well I love that he talks about global issues and stuff. Things like Identity Theft are worrying, and increasing all the time, because, while we're all shredding our papers and thinking we're safe, we can slip up so easily online.

What I find though, with all the articles Mika writes, is that while we have the most amazing translators and are so grateful to them, it is only when we see the actual article in Mika's own words, that it becomes more REAL to us.

There is something about the way Mika writes. It's like his soul is there in the text, and little things that translations can't pick up on, come out of the article.

If that makes any sense to anyone.

I'm so glad Mika is not just another popstar. He doesn't use the column to promote himself in that way, he shows he's interested in the world as it is today, and I've thought for ages that he should be made a Goodwill Ambassador to the UN, or something like that. He really could be awesome. He is already.

:thumb_yello: Well said Marilyn - you hit the nail, as so many times earlier :wub2: imo, most of his fans, at least on this forum, might be really are interested in the whole person MIKA, and not only in his music and art. Or as "cathouzouf" express it: " it shows a bit more of the person behind the music" And that's just the reason why - at least I - have been reading and listening to interviews with him, for the last 6 years now ...:huglove::wub2:

I already look forward to the next issue !! :wink2:

Love,love

me

I must say I prefer when he writes about more personal issues, or when he let us discover something that few of us know (like with his tweets sometimes), but like some of you said, it's always interesting to know what Mika thinks about different subjects imo. Even if this one is obviously not very original :aah:

As I said before, I really don't care about this subject (skipping articles about Snowden and so in the news), but this time (as it was Mika writing :teehee:) I read it and it let me think about it a bit.

But I can understand that for most people this column is a bit boring or disappointing