REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS for Mika in Los Angeles, CA -- Wiltern: 11-02-2008

dcdeb

OMG Mana, awesome, awesome account!! :thumb_yello:

Isn't it unbelievable that a year of poring over all these videos, photos and gig reviews can build up such insane expectations for one short hour of your life...and yet somehow he manages to surpass those expectations and it's even more incredible than you imagined?

I got a chill down my spine hearing your description of Happy Ending. I've never even particularly liked this song, but it is so mind-blowingly fantastic live it has to be experienced to be understood - especially if you're front and centre where he looks directly into the eyes of anyone lucky enough to be in the vicinity.

I'm so, so glad this was your first gig and not rows back at the Orpheum. Sounds like it couldn't have been any better.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we wander out of the venue in a bit of a daze. Well, I shouldn't say "wander" - we were kind of being shooed out by security. Get out into the lobby, find a washroom - nature calls, after all. We then went and chatted with Midway State - Nathan is a really sweet guy, and he took the time to talk to us and handed out posters. Milled around for a few minutes, then went to see if we could figure out where Mika would be coming out. The way the Wiltern is oriented, there are two possible places the artist could come out, separated by a parking garage. You can vaguely see the opposite spot from the other. We were on the side where our Friendly Neighborhood Security Guard Timothy had said before the gig that would be the spot Mika would come out. We saw Cherisse come out the opposite side, so we booked it over there. The crowd of people was massive.

I have to say, there was more than a little animosity at this point. I was surrounded by people who were referring to HMDYLM as "that new song", and Saranayde as "that girl he sang with". It's prolly a bit stupid to feel as though knowing every minute detail about Mika and spending hours on MFC makes me somehow entitled - but that's exactly how I felt, especially when I overheard people talking about the kind of basic Mika facts that MFCers could spout off in their sleep - and being totally wrong. I turned around during Happy Ending, and most of the people on the balcony level were just sitting there, staring ahead like they were attending a seminar on tax preparation or something. I wanted to be like, don't you FEEL this? Are you utterly on some kind of different plane of existence? But, I digress.

Andrew stayed on the first side, with strict instructions to call me if anything happened over there. Well, the security people began rearranging the barricades, so we booked it back over there (sprinting through the parking garage we were now all too familiar with, and then over a small fence).

Got in line where they were directing us, about seven or eight people from the front. I have to hand it to the Wiltern security people - they organized a ridiculously large amount of people very well. Had the crowd control not been so effective and seamless, I doubt Mika would have been able to stop. A wrinkle did occur after Mika came out, when some asshat started smashing bottles off the top of the parking structure. That startled poor Mika, which made him jump and distracted him when Andrew was taking his turn to speak to him. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

The gig had ended at about 10:30, and by midnight there was still no Mika. A bunch of gals nearly got ran over sprinting across the street to catch Perez, who had come strolling out.

The chick in line next to me was a total bag. She was probably late thirties, so certainly old enough to not be a snot. She kept elbowing me and muttering about the crowd, about how we were all too young to be out past bedtime, and she snapped at Taylor for who knows what. Probably the only real downside to the entire night. The security gal nearest us was stern but friendly - chatted with her some (she's done this for decades, favorite venue is in Memphis) and was conveniently close enough to hear the chatter about Mika's impending arrival on her walkie-talkie thinger.

And then his stretch SUV limo thing pulled up, and out he came. He had to have been freshly showered. He was radiant. No posed pictures, but candids were okay, and he would sign things. That smile. There's nothing like it. Mika's whole quote about not meeting your idols is complete bullsh*t when he's the idol in question. He was very friendly, and listened to everyone who came up to him. Vanessa (findingmywords) was in front of me, and he recongnized her from the front row - aww!

Then it was my turn. I had, of course, my copy of the A Year In Cartoon Motion book with me - hardcover. I opened it to the strategically included blank page at the front, and he was like "Oh yeah! You guys sent someone from Montreal - no, Toronto Canada to give one of these to me!" I explained that we would have given him a hard cover version, but there were timing issues with printing. He said, and I quote, "Oh really? Because I would LOVE to have a hard cover". So I touched his hand (!) and promised to get him a hard cover copy. At that point, he could have asked for my first through third born and all appendages below my knees, and I would have been more than happy to oblige. :wub2:

He signed my book, and then I asked for a hug. He smelled like soap and deodorant and spice and fabulousness, and he felt just so...real. Andrew almost got a picture of me hugging him, but the stupid camera is laggy and missed it. He got a great one of Mika talking to me about the book, though - I might print off like an 8 x 10 or something. I'll try to post them tomorrow - I'm not sure where Andrew hid the memory card reader, and he's out like a light, as I would be too if I were remotely sane.

I watched the rest of the MFC go through the line, watching Mika interact with them. We chatted with Andy for a bit, who has a very thick (but strangely adorable!) accent. He's taller than I would have thought, but kinda cute. Doesn't seem so sure about the crowds yet, though - we need to break him in.

We hung around with Fmbm for a few more minutes, until her sister came to get her. By that time Mika had left, and the last I checked the line was shrinking - bless his heart, I think he got to everyone in that massive (100 - 200 people) line up.

Andrew and I went to Denny's, but I couldn't eat. It was just so overwhelming, especially since I just said my goodbyes to all these wonderful new fast friends. It pains me to think I spent hours in line with these gals, and it will be who knows how long before I see them again. The fact that we all clicked so well is just another example of the magic that seems to surround Mika, and everything he touches.

When I was standing in line waiting for the signing, I was vaguely aware of my sore feet, a bit of a chill, and thirst. Once I got back to the hotel, though, I noticed the dime-sized blisters on my feet - sorry Mika, I'm retiring the purple sequined ballet flats for tomorrow. It's as though when I was in his presence, I was only very slightly conscious of anything physical. In a pinch, operating rooms could bring him in instead of giving the patient anaesthetic. :biggrin2:

Walking back to the hotel, there was confetti streaming all the way up the block back to our hotel. It's as though my previous thought about the venue not being able to contain his amazing-ness and bursting open, sending technicolor awesomeness flowing all over the world was right on the money.

I couldn't have asked for a better first gig. And in 4 hours, I need to be at LAX to catch our flight to San Francisco to do it all over again. I have no idea if anything can possibly match this - there truly are not words.

I'm going to catch a few hours of sleep now - if there's a wireless internet connection near the Warfield in San Fran, you may all enjoy real-time updates again tomorrow. :punk:

-Mana

Your quotes are soo well put

"It was just so overwhelming, especially since I just said my goodbyes to all these wonderful new fast friends. It pains me to think I spent hours in line with these gals, and it will be who knows how long before I see them again. The fact that we all clicked so well is just another example of the magic that seems to surround Mika, and everything he touches."

I feel the same pain when walking away the gig and the people:wub2:

I was thinking how damn lucky we are - even those who haven`t seen him live as of yet. Of all the millennia in human history, and this beautiful gift of a man is ours - ours! Our lifetimes intersect with his.

When he announced Big Girl, he did the usual `Are there any big girls in the house tonight` intro, but then he added `How about other girls with the soul of a big girl` - never heard that before. Very cute.

Those lucky lucky lights, that they should be so fortunate as to dance across the curls of this magnificent creature. :wub2:

I was going to make damn sure he knew that I was one of Those Fans - y`know, the ones that dance along the border of stalker-ism. :naughty:

Like the shere mass of his fabulousness was going to cause the venue to burst open, sending his wonder-ness washing over the world like a technicolour blanket.

Who the fsck were these record execs who told him to change - I assume they lack ears.

All too soon it was over. Grabbed a handful of confetti and stuffed it in my purse. Then began the quest to meet Mika...

I was surrounded by people who were referring to HMDYLM as "that new song", and Saranayde as "that girl he sang with". It's prolly a bit stupid to feel as though knowing every minute detail about Mika and spending hours on MFC makes me somehow entitled - but that's exactly how I felt.

A wrinkle did occur after Mika came out, when some asshat started smashing bottles off the top of the parking structure.

At that point, he could have asked for my first through third born and all appendages below my knees, and I would have been more than happy to oblige.

In a pinch, operating rooms could bring him in instead of giving the patient anaesthetic.

-Mana

Yeah, I was going to comment on bits, but there is just too much - but a mixture of:

WOAH!

LOL!

YOU ARE SO LUCKY!

YOU ARE A BRILLIANT WRITER!

I AGREE!

MIKA IS FANTABULOUS!

... should just about cover it :thumb_yello:

Here are some photo's to keep y'all until my tired self can write a report. I'm so behind in the report writing.

Wow! You are so lucky! :shocked::mf_rosetinted::thumb_yello:

He said, and I quote, "Oh really? Because I would LOVE to have a hard cover".

Can you get me a copy by the London gigs? I'm not going through that trauma at Brixton to present it to him personally with videotaped evidence, but I should be able to pass it off to someone who can give it to him no problem. John and Andy are usually about.

We chatted with Andy for a bit, who has a very thick (but strangely adorable!) accent. He's taller than I would have thought, but kinda cute.

That's funny, I never thought of him having a thick accent but I guess compared to Mika any Brit does. I also didn't expect him to be as tall as he is and he looks like he's in his mid-20s in person, unlike some photos where he could pass for a teen.

It's as though when I was in his presence, I was only very slightly conscious of anything physical. In a pinch, operating rooms could bring him in instead of giving the patient anaesthetic. :biggrin2:

:roftl: I think that happens to a lot of us. I could sense this huge mass of sweating people bearing down on me once Mika came on stage but it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't think I took my mental focus off him for a nanosecond until Big Girl ended and the manic rush of him coming on stage started to subside, at least for a moment.

I'm going to catch a few hours of sleep now - if there's a wireless internet connection near the Warfield in San Fran, you may all enjoy real-time updates again tomorrow. :punk:

-Mana

Wonderful! Looking forward to it.

WOW! First of all, thanks so much for the fabulous reports, Sivan, Mana, and whoever else -- just read them and can't remember them all, I'm an Oldling after all... But thanks! Can't wait for photos! :)

thanks deb for all your live texting, and thanks charlotte for paying such expensive mobile bills!

too bad debbie decided to go to sleep NOW! :

I actually didn't -- I tried to send you Charlotte's last text to me, but

the server was acting up and I couldn't post :(

Anyhow, her text was: Mika just met with us. He's so adorable. He

told me to stop with the pics and then hugged me.

:biggrin2:

And now we see her pics, so CLOSE :yay:

Your quotes are soo well put

"It was just so overwhelming, especially since I just said my goodbyes to all these wonderful new fast friends. It pains me to think I spent hours in line with these gals, and it will be who knows how long before I see them again. The fact that we all clicked so well is just another example of the magic that seems to surround Mika, and everything he touches."

I feel the same pain when walking away the gig and the people:wub2:

Me too, FD -- my heart still aches to think how long it may be before

I see my friends from the Glasgow and NYC shows :(

Wow, really -- I've only slept about 3 hours, so I need to go back to

bed for a bit... but I had to pop on here for a minute and get at

least some of the details. You all never disappoint! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

mana

you have written MY words if i could master english so well!:wub2:

how can a 48 old mother confess she's got tears in her eyes reading your report?:blush-anim-cl:

more

i'm actually having a quick lunch at the pc, and now i cannot eat anymore, cause i'm too emotional...oh this is so bloody awsome!

thanks girl, i hope you can have a wonderful day tomorrow too! :wub2:

i loved arstyfartsy's sentence here:

You know you're a sick fangirl when "Nice face paint." is suddenly the best compliment you've ever had

you are a bunch of incredible ppl, i loved everyline of your reports.

and now charlotte...i cannot even think about what she's going to write! :shocked:

WOW! First of all, thanks so much for the fabulous reports, Sivan, Mana, and whoever else -- just read them and can't remember them all, I'm an Oldling after all... But thanks! Can't wait for photos! :)

I actually didn't -- I tried to send you Charlotte's last text to me, but

the server was acting up and I couldn't post :(

Anyhow, her text was: Mika just met with us. He's so adorable. He

told me to stop with the pics and then hugged me.

:biggrin2:

And now we see her pics, so CLOSE :yay:

Me too, FD -- my heart still aches to think how long it may be before

I see my friends from the Glasgow and NYC shows :(

Wow, really -- I've only slept about 3 hours, so I need to go back to

bed for a bit... but I had to pop on here for a minute and get at

least some of the details. You all never disappoint! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

ah this is so charlotte!

she always gets the best hug!! :thumb_yello:

'stop with the pics and hug me!'............if he said so???!!???

Hee hee!! Yeah, it was really cute. He was talking to us and then he looked at me and did that "Whoosh" with his hands while he said, "Stop with the pics." Just like in that black and white video where he ends the interview. I got so tickled and said, "Great, I stopped taking the pictures when you started doing something cute." Then, he did his adorable laugh and hugged me. :wub2:

Oh, and Mika started interviewing me. When I realized he was interviewing/ talking to me and I was talking to him in a normal matter, it hit me that I was actually having a normal, everyday conversation with the man. LOL At one point, I said, "When did this become an interview?" And Andy cracked up. I said, "Shouldn't I be asking the questions?" LMAO!!

ah this is so charlotte!

she always gets the best hug!! :thumb_yello:

'stop with the pics and hug me!'............if he said so???!!???

Hee hee!! Yeah, it was really cute. He was talking to us and then he looked at me and did that "Whoosh" with his hands while he said, "Stop with the pics." Just like in that black and white video where he ends the interview. I got so tickled and said, "Great, I stopped taking the pictures when you started doing something cute." Then, he did his adorable laugh and hugged me. :wub2:

Oh, and Mika started interviewing me. When I realized he was interviewing/ talking to me and I was talking to him in a normal matter, it hit me that I was actually having a normal, everyday conversation with the man. LOL At one point, I said, "When did this become an interview?" And Andy cracked up. I said, "Shouldn't I be asking the questions?" LMAO!!

ahahahahahah charlie, i love your way with mika!

i can be the same, i remember when i was talking to him in bologna....about why he was supposed to sign the flag!

suddenly you realize you are talking to an old friend, not to the man you are dedicating all yr free time to...(and all yr heart :shocked: ).

and you just feel FINE.

OMG!!!!!!! :roftl: What an awesome experience!!!!

WARNING: The following report will be, in fact, so sappy it ought to wipe its nose with a pancake. In fact, it may well be the sappiest post ever made on MFC. You have been warned. :blush-anim-cl:

--------------------

And then, suddenly, it was time. The lights come up, and there`s Martin right in front of me. He`s shockingly attractive up close, might I add. There`s the band, in behind their instruments - right in front of me. They`re real! This is real. Saranayde made her appearance out of her balloon. And then in a heartbeat, Mika was there in front of me, hitting that glorious opening note of Relax.

It was such a rush. There are no fscking words. For the past year, my life has revolved around this man. Yeah, there`s all the work and family and pets and hobbies that take place in real life - but for the past year, this man from halfway around the world has played a major role in my life. His music is like a balm when I`m stressed - or any other emotion, for that matter. I spend hours on here, studying his photos, reveling in pictures and videos, and rejoicing in new songs. And there he was, not two feet in front of me. I had to keep telling myself over and over that he was real, that this was real. He is, of course, far more beautiful than any pictures or videos would indicate - and that voice! What a treasure.

I was thinking how damn lucky we are - even those who haven`t seen him live as of yet. Of all the millennia in human history, and this beautiful gift of a man is ours - ours! Our lifetimes intersect with his. And he was there, right on stage in front of me. Living, breathing...singing. Ohhhh, singing.

When he first appeared, there was just this overwhelming urge to just pull him close. You see fans reaching toward the stage, despite the huge gap - now I know why. There`s just this overwhelming urge to just grab him, pull him in, to just absorb every iota of what he has to offer. I saw it in Taylor`s (lollipopgirl83)`s eyes - I would bet she felt it, too.

When he announced Big Girl, he did the usual `Are there any big girls in the house tonight` intro, but then he added `How about other girls with the soul of a big girl` - never heard that before. Very cute.

His keyboard was basically right in front of me. Crowd was singing along, made him do that amazing little smile and giggle. I hope that it never, ever, gets old for him. During Any Other World, the purple stage lights were on his hair...beautiful. Those lucky lucky lights, that they should be so fortunate as to dance across the curls of this magnificent creature. :wub2:

Holy Johnny was so great live. Sang every word at the top of my lungs - if he were to glance my way, I was going to make damn sure he knew that I was one of Those Fans - y`know, the ones that dance along the border of stalker-ism. :naughty:

Same with How Much Do You Love Me. That song is mind-blowing live. MFCers were singing every word - he gave our row a lot of eye contact during that song, and a lot of million-kilowatt smiles.

I can`t explain the rush of emotion during this gig. It was like it all built up inside me to the point where I felt I was just going to pop. Like the shere mass of his fabulousness was going to cause the venue to burst open, sending his wonder-ness washing over the world like a technicolour blanket. It was a ridiculous experience - like some no-man`s land between screaming with euphoria and bawling my eyes out. And its funny that I mostly manage to keep up this facade of being a got-it-together twentysomething with my own 9-5, a mortgage, and a couple dogs. But once I stepped in that venue and he stepped on stage, all bets were off. Was it healthy - likely, not so much. But, I couldn`t possibly give a flying fsck - it was pure, incomprehensible euphoria.

When I was turning seven, I was having a birthday party at Chuck E Cheeses (a giant indoor playground that serves pizza and cake, for those who may not know). I distinctly remember being so excited the night before, I was turning somersaults from one end of my bed to the other, thinking of how extraordinary it was going to be.

That is how I felt tonight, standing (bouncing, maybe) there watching him perform. That same, ridiculously happy feeling. Mika made me seven years old again, and I love every second of it.

We got treated to an extra-extended version of Stuck in the Middle - he returned to his keyboard after the sing-along bit, and his mic cord fell out. In a flash, a stage hand was there to replace it, but not before Mika could shrug adorably and motion for us to keep singing.

Happy Ending was out of this world. Always been my favourite live song, but there are just no words. Mika virgins - they are not lying when they say that no YouTube video or DVD can compare. Its amazing. His voice is like what you would get if you took a pure mountain spring and tossed it in a blender with a songbirds melody, a shooting star and a late summer thunderstorm. Who the fsck were these record execs who told him to change - I assume they lack ears.

Love Today was way beyond my expectations. Started with the faux snow, and Mika with an umbrella. Gray Skelly comes over and Mika jumps, as though hes scared. Realizes Gray Skelly is protecting him from the faux snow, and gives him a hug. That moved me to tears. Ridiculous, yeah I know. But, I cry over long distance commercials on TV, so this is a step up. Then he starts into Love Today, and - wow. I may have been mentally willing him to take off his shirt, which he certainly did. The boy is a freaking Adonis. Seriously. Ive said it before, and will say it again - we shall commission a sculptor to make a life-sized sculpture of Mika. We will keep it in Freddiesdoubles front yard, and we will make annual pilgrimages to bow down before it. :blush-anim-cl:

Loved Grace Kelly. Had a Moment. The very first time I heard of Mika was when Grace Kelly came on in a movie theatre as I was waiting to see Spiderman 3. And the Wiltern, being theatre-like, took me back to that moment. It was brilliant.

Lollipop was amazing. The balloons and the confetti cannon and Mika dressed as a wolf (an unzipped wolf, may I add, which nearly fell off during the song). It was just bliss. I was staring at the roof watching all the confetti fall, feeling the people around me - amazing.

All too soon it was over. Grabbed a handful of confetti and stuffed it in my purse. Then began the quest to meet Mika...

You deserve the bestest post of gig-report ever!!!

BEST_TROPHY.jpg

:woot_jump: