Mika in Beirut - Beiteddine and BAALBECK Festival

racha

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So guys I haven't been catching up with the thread so I don't know if those have been posted before.

Pics from the press conference held today in Beirut :biggrin2:

thumbnailpentrupoza3027cf3.jpg

82073675tm0.jpg

82073679we3.jpg

82073703cy9.jpg

82073713yp8.jpg

82073724nk9.jpg

So guys I haven't been catching up with the thread so I don't know if those have been posted before.

Pics from the press conference held today in Beirut

82073675tm0.jpg

82073679we3.jpg

82073703cy9.jpg

82073713yp8.jpg

82073724nk9.jpg

Those pictures are lovely! :wub2: Is the live version of this anywhere?

Festival rekindles Lebanon's cultural life

Saturday, Jul 26, 2008

The stage is under construction again at the edge of the Roman temple of Bacchus as the festival of Baalbeck, the oldest in the Middle East, comes back to life, taking advantage of a rare summer of calm in Lebanon.

Resurrected in 1996 after the end of a 15-year-sectarian war, the Baalbeck international festival was cancelled again in 2006, when war broke out between the Shia Hizbollah group and Israel on July 13, the festival's opening day.

Last year too, the show was stopped as Lebanon was wracked by conflict between the Lebanese army and a Sunni Islamist group holed up in a camp in the north of the country.

Until a few months ago, the organisers feared this would be another lost year.

"We weren't sure whether there would be a festival but we were having contacts with artists just in case a miracle happened," says Joseph Chemali, vice-president of the festival. "Then a miracle did happen."

After the Shia Hizbollah movement briefly took over Sunni parts of Beirut, a power-sharing deal was struck that enhanced the group's authority in government. The threat of war receded, at least temporarily.

Although the festival season is now in full swing - Baalbeck's shows start next week with classical music concerts, Brazilian jazz and the Arab diva Warda al-Jazayria - reviving Lebanon's cultural life is an uphill battle.

"We face two kinds of insecurity," says Mr Chemali. "Political and military insecurity is one and financial insecurity is another."

While Lebanon's political factions have been squabbling and its economy struggling, the booming nearby states of the Gulf have taken a keen interest in cultural events. Thanks to their deep pockets, they are now threatening to drive traditional cultural festivals in the region out of the market for pop artists.

The highest booking fee a Lebanese organiser can pay is just $250,000 (£125,000, €159,000), forcing all three summer festivals - Baalbeck, Beiteddine, and Byblos - to join forces to lure Mika, the Lebanese-born pop singer, back to Beirut to stage his show tomorrow at Martyrs' Square in the heart of the capital.

"The Gulf is trying to create an image. We already have an image and we're trying to find ways to compete on money through partnerships with international festivals," says Mr Chemali.

Unlike the Gulf, the Baalbeck festival also has to deal with politics. The Roman temples present a magical setting but the site lies in a stronghold of the Hizbollah group and the area has been known as the grounds of militant training camps.

Although some Hizbollah members in Baalbeck are offended by the festival - and the serving of alcohol during the evening events - the party's position is generally co-operative, largely because the shows portray a different image of the town.

"It's the only thing that puts Baalbeck on the map, so everyone likes it," says Issam Yaghi, a local official.

"The party [Hizbollah] doesn't mind. They're pragmatic about it and they even complain that the festival is not bringing big enough names to attract even more attention."

Local officials hope the festival will promote tourism to the Roman site but there is no tourism infrastructure in rundown Baalbeck. The only decorations, moreover, are Hizbollah flags, portraits of leaders and pictures of young men killed in battles with Israel.

That the festival organisers are pragmatic too has helped establish a working relationship: the people of Baalbeck are invited to attend dress rehearsals of Arabic shows for a symbolic fee, which is then turned over to the municipality.

The festival also offers its setting, with a stage, sound and light and the seating arrangements, to the municipality for two evenings so it can put up its own cultural programmes.

Meanwhile, Hizbollah can turn its propaganda machine on for the festival season. At the entrance to the Roman ruins, the party has set up a "museum" that is, these days, dedicated to the 2006 war with Israel.

Selling CDs and DVDs of speeches by Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, its chief, the museum also displays a day-by-day picture gallery of the war, with the number of Israeli strikes and Lebanese deaths carefully recorded. One part of the museum is dedicated to commemorating the "martyrs" from Baalbeck who died in the war.

The museum even has its own artistic offering. On a recent day, it was playing a song celebrating the return of Samir Kuntar, the Lebanese militant who spent 30 years in jail and was released this month in a prisoner swap.

By Roula Khalaf in Baalbeck

© Copyright The Financial Times Ltd 2008.

Pics from the press conference held today in Beirut :biggrin2:

82073675tm0.jpg

82073679we3.jpg

82073703cy9.jpg

82073713yp8.jpg

82073724nk9.jpg

He's looking good!

That Dead Sea mud obviously did the trick;-)

Something that has just struck me.

Will Cherisse, Sara and Sam have to cover up tomorrow night?

I know that they have advertised for Big Girls, but is there some sort of rule there for not baring you arms and legs.

I might be wrong, I was just curious.

I know that they have advertised for Big Girls, but is there some sort of rule there for not baring you arms and legs.

I was actually wondering that myself. I would not be at all surprised if they would have to make some changes to the costumes.

I think you'd be very surprised if you see what people are wearin there :roftl:

even if each community respect the other, everybody wears whatever they want!!

as I told you, you d be very very surprised:naughty:

I think you'd be very surprised if you see what people are wearin there :roftl:

even if each community respect the other, everybody wears whatever they want!!

as I told you, you d be very very surprised:naughty:

yes that's what i heard from a friend of mine who went there last year.

she said there are no rules about covering yourself or not showing particular areas:roftl:

I was actually wondering that as well the other night when mika posted the add for the big girls...

yes that's what i heard from a friend of mine who went there last year.

she said there are no rules about covering yourself or not showing particular areas:roftl:

yep exact :wink2:

here are pics of lebanese female singers and how they dress for their gigs and tv appearances:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2166839700054961820mNqdWn