Mika's Dad

yogabear90

I have a few pics of Fortuné - he was in my way when I photographed Mika in February! :naughty: I remember trying to take a photo of Andy in December, 'cause he was right in front of me. Instead I just managed to take a close-up of someones curly head. Then I saw Fortuné leaving the place after the gig and after deleting the photo realized it had been him sitting and swinging next to Andy! My typical luck. :lmao:

Marie-Thérèse

What a shame ! Actually Fortuné is likely to be the best looking of the Penniman brood, bound to look really stunning in a couple of years' time. He still looks like a child (peachy round cheeks... stop drooling, girls !) but when you look at him you can already see the DDG young man he is soon going to be.

No wonder he blocked the way, though : very tall, even for a Penniman.

Here is a tip : next time you see a curly dark head, about 9 feet above floor level, at one of Mika's gig, forget about Andrew, start filming.

M.-Th.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marie-Thérèse

Here is a tip : next time you see a curly dark head, about 9 feet above floor level, at one of Mika's gig, forget about Andrew, start filming.

M.-Th.

Actually, M-Th this is a very BAD idea, as we try to DIScourage the fans

invading the privacy of Mika's family members who have so far seemed to

want to stay OUT of the limelight.

We talk about this in our MFC FAQ and Guidelines -- you'll find

the link in my sig below.

dcdeb

Yes he does. Maybe it's just because he's a boy, but he reminds me more of Mika than the girls. He's tall and he looks like he's almost Mika's age even though he's quite a bit younger. I didn't speak to him, but he just carries himself like he's more mature. His hair is a lot like Mika's would be, I think, if he didn't style it so much.

I wouldn't say they look alike, but Mika has some of his features - like his dimples and his smile. Basically his dad looks like a dad. Very sweet.

His brother has exactly the same body shape as Mika. That was the first thing that I noticed about him, and that made me realise who he was when I saw him in December :naughty:

His brother has exactly the same body shape as Mika. That was the first thing that I noticed about him, and that made me realise who he was when I saw him in December :naughty:

realy?

I had his father and brother pic but my sister deleted all.......:thumbdown: so not anymore....

Now thank you! Just like I had said before, we're trying to keep Mr P's life private, he doesnt like cameras, obviously, so it'd be far more respectful not to advertize his unvoluntary TV appearances. Btw, the same is true for Fortuné and other sibblings who are not among Mika's crew. And I'm sorry if I sound harsh but i'm getting extremely tired of repeating the same things over and over again :blink:

Now thank you! Just like I had said before, we're trying to keep Mr P's life private, he doesnt like cameras, obviously, so it'd be far more respectful not to advertize his unvoluntary TV appearances. Btw, the same is true for Fortuné and other sibblings who are not among Mika's crew. And I'm sorry if I sound harsh but i'm getting extremely tired of repeating the same things over and over again :blink:

Marie-Thérèse

Respecting Mika's family's privacy is fine but don't you think we are getting (or are being manipulated into being) a little hypocritical here ?

Believe me, and you can see it on the TV coverage, Michael Penniman didn't duck when he saw a TV camera filming him (actually, if he had asked not to be filmed, I am sure the reporters would have obliged).

And Mika's sisters and mother often appear on the blog archives. True, they work with Mika, but let's face it : Mika is in the public eye, enjoys the positive parts of it ; I don't think he would like being back to gate crashing to have his songs listened to even if it meant getting as much privacy as a couple of years ago...

There is nothing shameful about going to your son's press conference or your big brother's gig and I don't think we have any right to make fans feel bad because they have taken a friendly picture of one of Mika's siblings. Although I didn't do it in Beirut but it was because I wouldn't have felt comfortable with it, not because the Lord (as JackViolet cheekily called Mika in a recent thread) has banned it, and I don't feel particularly self-righteous about it, just happy I made my own decision.

I personally am much more shocked when I see stolen pictures of any public figures with their pants down (literally or metaphorically) published in the trash press. I would much rather see pictures of Joannie Penniman (who is, in every senses of the word, a lovely lady) on the MFC threads than a picture of her son sucking too hard on his lollipop, sitting next to a guy he may-or may not- end the night with or walking out of a restaurant next to a girl he may -or may not- go back to his flat with. But I wouldn't be particularly be proud of myself if I went all judgmental about those pictures circulating on the MFC threads.

Remember, we are among friends, here: friends of Mika's and each other's friends as well. Even when we agree to disagree.

x M.-Th.

Actually, M-Th this is a very BAD idea, as we try to DIScourage the fans

invading the privacy of Mika's family members who have so far seemed to

want to stay OUT of the limelight.

We talk about this in our MFC FAQ and Guidelines -- you'll find

the link in my sig below.

dcdeb

Please see my answer to Niki27 below -or above as the case may be, not far from here anyway : have just posted it.

christine pointed him out to me at the Hammersmith gig in February. He sat in front of us acting Paparazzi. We pretended to touch his hair lol :naughty:

note i said PRETENDED, we didnt actually touch the boy lol xDDD that would be WEIRD, even by my standards :roftl:

And Mika's sisters and mother often appear on the blog archives. True, they work with Mika, but let's face it : Mika is in the public eye, enjoys the positive parts of it ; I don't think he would like being back to gate crashing to have his songs listened to even if it meant getting as much privacy as a couple of years ago...

Actually, when Mika's sisters and mum are with him at public events, people do post photos on MFC and discuss them, and that's fine. But Yasmine, for instance, has specifically requested time and time again that if people must take photos of her after shows, she'd rather they not be posted online, so we know even she wants to protect her privacy. Paloma, too, seemed uncomfortable the few times we've seen her on camera, and quite happy to get out of the shot.

Mika's father and Fortune have largely made an effort to stay out of the spotlight as best they can. Mika almost never talks about them the way he'll talk about his mother and sisters, and they don't attend publicity events with Mika, they don't go with him to interviews, they don't tour with him--so MFC policy is to respect that and give them space. After all, it would be a shame if his dad couldn't even watch his son's shows or film some special moments in peace, without having to hide, just to avoid unwanted publicity. Mika may have made the choice to be in the public eye, but it's rather unfair to force its consequences on his family if they never made the choice, isn't it?

--Jack

I think we should stop discussing this now.

There are guidelines, and these have to be followed, no matter what you think Mika's desires might be.

What about discussing his music, or his videos, or his art for a change?

Actually, when Mika's sisters and mum are with him at public events, people do post photos on MFC and discuss them, and that's fine. But Yasmine, for instance, has specifically requested time and time again that if people must take photos of her after shows, she'd rather they not be posted online, so we know even she wants to protect her privacy. Paloma, too, seemed uncomfortable the few times we've seen her on camera, and quite happy to get out of the shot.

Since Mika's father and Fortune have largely made an effort to stay out of the spotlight. Mika almost never talks about them the way he'll talk about his mother and sisters, and they don't attend publicity events with Mika, they don't go with him to interviews, they don't tour with him--MFC policy is to respect that and give them space. After all, it would be a shame if his dad couldn't even watch his son's shows or film some special moments in peace, without having to hide, just to avoid unwanted publicity. Mika may have made the choice to be in the public eye, but it's rather unfair to force its consequences on his family if they never made the choice, isn't it?

--Jack

Exactly. Thanks, Jack. :thumb_yello:

I did also want to add to M-Th:

There is nothing shameful about going to your son's press conference or your big brother's gig and I don't think we have any right to make fans feel bad because they have taken a friendly picture of one of Mika's siblings.

Taking a "friendly" picture is one thing. Coming onto this forum and

encouraging fans to intrude on Mika's family's privacy,

and even telling them who to look for, is

another entirely, in my opinion. In case you have not seen it yet

firsthand, there are many fans whose enthusiasm can be quite overwhelming.

I'm sure for someone who does not choose to be in the limelight,

being photographed by such exuberant fans is not considered "friendly."

And I would guess that they wouldn't consider having their photos spread

all over the internet without their consent a friendly gesture, either.

I don't know about you, but I'm rather sensitive about having my photo

taken, and would prefer not to have it splashed all over the MFC.

Since I try to treat others as I would like to be treated, I extend

that courtesy to the private members of Mika's family and his friends.

I personally am much more shocked when I see stolen pictures of any public figures with their pants down (literally or metaphorically) published in the trash press. I would much rather see pictures of Joannie Penniman (who is, in every senses of the word, a lovely lady) on the MFC threads than a picture of her son sucking too hard on his lollipop, sitting next to a guy he may-or may not- end the night with or walking out of a restaurant next to a girl he may -or may not- go back to his flat with. But I wouldn't be particularly be proud of myself if I went all judgmental about those pictures circulating on the MFC threads.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. You're saying you think it's

OK for those sorts of photos to circulate on the MFC? If they are taken by

paparazzi and end up in a tabloid -- what can you do? We don't

censor them or "go judgmental" on people who post them here.

But if they are private photos, or photos that a fan snaps when they

happen to encounter Mika in a restaurant or somewhere, when he is "off-duty", just being Mika, not being the pop star...

I would not want to see them here.

Remember, we are among friends, here: friends of Mika's and each other's friends as well. Even when we agree to disagree.

Well, actually, I'm not a friend of Mika's :) Would like to be, obviously,

but even though I've met him several times, I'm quite sure he wouldn't

classify me as a friend. In fact, I'm sure the majority of us here are NOT his

friends (although I suspect there must be a few lurking around!), as much

as we care about Mika and would never intentionally do anything to

harm him or his family/friends.

But, as Niki has just said, I think this topic is exhausted -- especially

as we have guidelines in place on this subject that we have all agreed to follow.

I'm ready to go back to waiting for a new vlog. :)

dcdeb

some one has probably asked this question already, but is there a picture of Miks dad?? and siblings??

well i know what Yasmine looks like and their mom:naughty:

don't you read the threads you post?:blink:

but if you really want to se him...

ok.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5540/lba2074abfcbb8cf11608bdxs0.jpg

:lmao:

what??:blink:

i'm just kidding.

mika doesn't want their pictures to be published on public, and we respect him:wink2:

read dcdeb's and niki's posts above:thumb_yello:

i'm just kidding.

mika doesn't want their pictures to be published on public, and we respect him:wink2:

read dcdeb's and niki's posts above:thumb_yello:

ooooooooooooooo ok hahaha:naughty::blush-anim-cl:

sorry i just had the biggest blonde moment ever:roftl:

Exactly. Thanks, Jack. :thumb_yello:

I did also want to add to M-Th:

Taking a "friendly" picture is one thing. Coming onto this forum and

encouraging fans to intrude on Mika's family's privacy,

and even telling them who to look for, is

another entirely, in my opinion. In case you have not seen it yet

firsthand, there are many fans whose enthusiasm can be quite overwhelming.

I'm sure for someone who does not choose to be in the limelight,

being photographed by such exuberant fans is not considered "friendly."

And I would guess that they wouldn't consider having their photos spread

all over the internet without their consent a friendly gesture, either.

I don't know about you, but I'm rather sensitive about having my photo

taken, and would prefer not to have it splashed all over the MFC.

Since I try to treat others as I would like to be treated, I extend

that courtesy to the private members of Mika's family and his friends.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. You're saying you think it's

OK for those sorts of photos to circulate on the MFC? If they are taken by

paparazzi and end up in a tabloid -- what can you do? We don't

censor them or "go judgmental" on people who post them here.

But if they are private photos, or photos that a fan snaps when they

happen to encounter Mika in a restaurant or somewhere, when he is "off-duty", just being Mika, not being the pop star...

I would not want to see them here.

Well, actually, I'm not a friend of Mika's :) Would like to be, obviously,

but even though I've met him several times, I'm quite sure he wouldn't

classify me as a friend. In fact, I'm sure the majority of us here are NOT his

friends (although I suspect there must be a few lurking around!), as much

as we care about Mika and would never intentionally do anything to

harm him or his family/friends.

But, as Niki has just said, I think this topic is exhausted -- especially

as we have guidelines in place on this subject that we have all agreed to follow.

I'm ready to go back to waiting for a new vlog. :)

dcdeb

Marie-Thérèse

Topic exhausted ? No right to answer ? I did not see that in the MFC guidelines (which I read carefully yesterday, once more). So, sorry but I am going to clarify a few points.

First, and that answers Jack's reaction too, I never encouraged a fan (I have just read my threads again) to put pictures of the Pennimans on line. Although Yasmine's being coy about seing her picture circulate while she keeps willingly appearing in magazines, on TV and on the blogs seems to me strange. But if this is the way she feels, no problem.

And no, I have never seen Mika's fans being overwhelming, I have always seen them respectful, even at three in the morning when they had been waiting for nearly three hours, they didn't even call his name loudly, just said it, and not all at the same time. They are very enthusiastic when he is on stage, but then he does encourage it and enjoy the feedback from his audience. The only time when I saw people disrestpectful was in Beirut, after the press conference, when a lady and her two teenage daughters wouldn't take "No, sorry, no autographs, he is exhausted" for an answer.

And no, I don’t find it fine for paparazzi’s photos to circulate on the forum, on the contrary , read my post again. You say you can’t do anything about it ; legally, definitely not, but I thought we were talking ethics here ? Couldn’t you ask fans to refrain from circulating stolen pictures taken in very private circumstances even if it were outside a restaurant ? Much more private than before, during and after a show.

For instance the silly thread that those pictures started. It’s OK, everybody has a right to go West sometimes and I myself took part in it so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize it, even though I am not quite sure inferring that a young woman is expecting twins when she happens to be overweight is in the best of taste.

But I don’t remember you or any of the moderators reacting to it from an ethical point of view (if you did and I missed it, I apologize but it is lengthy, apparently silly topics inspire us fans more than serious ones…).

We are not friends of Mika’s ? My English stands corrected (my editor is in on holiday, he needed it, poor soul !). What I meant is that most of us consider ourselves as his friends, even if he doesn’t reciprocate (and that is very private).

To conclude (but an answer is always an option, I don’t shut doors on people’s face) let’s be lucid : the Pennimans are highly intelligent, learned and lucid people. They have always known that Mika’s becoming famous (and they all longed for it to happen) would involve a certain loss of privacy. They have so far succeeded in limiting the phenomenon with Mika’s fans’ help simply because they have always respected them and that it is a very catching feeling. That they should complain about it is part of the game but they know that they have no real power on it. Especially in Britain, where the laws about protecting a person’s image are far more laxist than on the Continent.

So long,

M.-Th.

christine pointed him out to me at the Hammersmith gig in February. He sat in front of us acting Paparazzi. We pretended to touch his hair lol :naughty:

note i said PRETENDED, we didnt actually touch the boy lol xDDD that would be WEIRD, even by my standards :roftl:

Oh so it was you who assaulted him! Bad girl Caz!:mf_rosetinted:

Marie-Thérèse

First, and that answers Jack's reaction too, I never encouraged a fan (I have just read my threads again) to put pictures of the Pennimans on line. Although Yasmine's being coy about seing her picture circulate while she keeps willingly appearing in magazines, on TV and on the blogs seems to me strange. But if this is the way she feels, no problem.

Guideline #4 says:

Since Mika's family are not public figures, posting photographs of them

that are not officially taken at publicity events, or soliciting personal

information about them, is not permitted.

Now let's not play on semantics please... I told you in the past i found it highly hypocritical to tell members where to find demos saying you wouldn't post them on the forum.. Same thing here. You may not be encouraging them to post pics of Mika's family on MFC, you're still encouraging them to take these pics and besides, you give explicit descriptions of what some people look like and I hope you realize you're making them curious and that they will therefore sollicitate personal info... which some are already doing.

And no, I have never seen Mika's fans being overwhelming, I have always seen them respectful, even at three in the morning when they had been waiting for nearly three hours

How many gigs have you attended? I've seen fans misbehaving at signings. And we're not just talking gigs and signings here but also people feeling free to knock his door and stuff.

I am not quite sure inferring that a young woman is expecting twins when she happens to be overweight is in the best of taste.

You must read diagonally because we've never said such a thing. If the MFC members have a quality, it's their respect of people's looks. They would never criticize someone's weight. The pregnancy and twin story was just a way to take the piss at some tabloids and had nothing to do with Adele.

We are not friends of Mika’s ?

Of course we're not. I don't remember Mika inviting me to his birthday party anyway.

That they should complain about it is part of the game but they know that they have no real power on it. Especially in Britain, where the laws about protecting a person’s image are far more laxist than on the Continent.

So now it's not about ethics anymore? They have no real power on what's happening, that's true, just like we can do little about these papped pics and the fact some fans are curious. But that doesnt mean we just have to sit back and watch as some members obviously cross the line, and tbh, my dear, you've been flirting with that line in many of your posts.

Guideline #4 says:

Since Mika's family are not public figures, posting photographs of them

that are not officially taken at publicity events, or soliciting personal

information about them, is not permitted.

Now let's not play on semantics please... I told you in the past i found it highly hypocritical to tell members where to find demos saying you wouldn't post them on the forum.. Same thing here. You may not be encouraging them to post pics of Mika's family on MFC, you're still encouraging them to take these pics and besides, you give explicit descriptions of what some people look like and I hope you realize you're making them curious and that they will therefore sollicitate personal info... which some are already doing.

How many gigs have you attended? I've seen fans misbehaving at signings. And we're not just talking gigs and signings here but also people feeling free to knock his door and stuff.

You must read diagonally because we've never said such a thing. If the MFC members have a quality, it's their respect of people's looks. They would never criticize someone's weight. The pregnancy and twin story was just a way to take the piss at some tabloids and had nothing to do with Adele.

Of course we're not. I don't remember Mika inviting me to his birthday party anyway.

So now it's not about ethics anymore? They have no real power on what's happening, that's true, just like we can do little about these papped pics and the fact some fans are curious. But that doesnt mean we just have to sit back and watch as some members obviously cross the line, and tbh, my dear, you've been flirting with that line in many of your posts.

I hadn’t realized that semantics was a dirty word when one was trying to communicate or that I had such power over others. I thought Mika’s fans were people, not puppets, and that they could be credited with making their own decisions. Long before I posted any threads.

So let’s be quite clear, folks : knocking on Mika’s door –and stuff- is very naughty and if you read in any of my threads that I advised you to do so, you were sadly mistaken.

More seriously I have attended four gigs so far and always found people very reserved and respectful. And watched recordings of many events when they didn’t act differently. Maybe you should devote part of your valuable time to deal with other bands’ fans ; that might help you put things into perspective.

You must read diagonally because we've never said such a thing. If the MFC members have a quality, it's their respect of people's looks. They would never criticize omeone's weight. The pregnancy and twin story was just a way to take the piss at some tabloids and had nothing to do with Adele.

So the pregnant partner is not Adele ? I had read a very classy reference to a bump in Mika’s pants in one of the posts but hadn’t realized the MFC member was referring to foetuses.

And incidentally you are not answering the part about asking MFC members not to circulate private photos of Mika with a possible girlfriend, even if they have already been published in the trash press.

We are not friends of Mika’s ?

Quoting just one sentence from a paragraph ? I bow to your intellectual honesty but will put the whole paragraph below, if you don’t mind…

We are not friends of Mika’s ? My English stands corrected (my editor is in on holiday, he needed it, poor soul !). What I meant is that most of us consider ourselves as his friends, even if he doesn’t reciprocate (and that is very private).

Appreciate you honesty (tbh) when I witness it.

I have been flirting with a sensitive line ? Perhaps but I am not the only one although it is quite possible that my being more articulate than some gets your goat because it means that I am less easy to manipulate or be made feel bad about what I may have done or written.

And one compliment leading to another, some moderators are definitely schoolmarmish when they intervene about something that they find open to criticism. If I find it irritating I wonder what it feels like when you are a teenage fan...

I lately went through a thread about drastic changes that were likely to occur in the MFC in the months to come. Didn’t read it very attentively, was not that interested but it might not be a bad idea for Mr Penniman to regain control on what is happening here, maybe organize it on a more professional basis. We can trust him to do what is best for us all. Him included, shouldn’t forget to take care of number one.

x M.-Th.

I hadn’t realized that semantics was a dirty word when one was trying to communicate or that I had such power over others. I thought Mika’s fans were people, not puppets, and that they could be credited with making their own decisions. Long before I posted any threads.

Again you're making me say things I've never said... My point was this guideline is clear enough: leave Mika's family alone.

More seriously I have attended four gigs so far and always found people very reserved and respectful. And watched recordings of many events when they didn’t act differently. Maybe you should devote part of your valuable time to deal with other bands’ fans ; that might help you put things into perspective.

I don't say Mika fans are behaving like TH fans. But I've been to this afterparty not so long ago and the artists were free to walk around without being harrassed, believe it or not, it didn't turn to a fiasco like Mika's party in Brixton did. So yes, I firmly believe some Mika fans tend to get overwhelmed. Opening a door may lead to extreme things.

So the pregnant partner is not Adele ? I had read a very classy reference to a bump in Mika’s pants in one of the posts but hadn’t realized the MFC member was referring to foetuses.

We actually also said Mika was pregnant... see, that was a big big JOKE.

And incidentally you are not answering the part about asking MFC members not to circulate private photos of Mika with a possible girlfriend, even if they have already been published in the trash press.

We discourage it but our policy is that we wont censure anything public. Tabloid articles are public, the best way we found to deal with this problem was to turn them into a ridiculous joke, which we did in the Adele thread... I don't really get your point anyway... we should ban these pics but on the other hand it's ok to take stolen pictures of Mika's siblings when they are offguard enjoying a gig just like any other person? Maybe they still appear like this in public because they know we leave them alone and we are against such pictures...

If some consider themselves as a friends of Mika's, good for them. I consider him a stranger and I've learnt to keep my distances.

Appreciate you honesty (tbh) when I witness it.

I have been flirting with a sensitive line ? Perhaps but I am not the only one although it is quite possible that my being more articulate than some gets your goat because it means that I am less easy to manipulate or be made feel bad about what I may have done or written.

And one compliment leading to another, some moderators are definitely schoolmarmish when they intervene about something that they find open to criticism. If I find it irritating I wonder what it feels like when you are a teenage fan...

Of course you're not the only one. But the point is not the fact you are articulate or not. I'm not trying to manipulate anyone, I have better things to do. My policy has always been to discourage such behaviours, coming from anyone on this forum. It aint manipulation. I used to do it as a member, i keep doing it as a mod. I'm not giving orders, i'm not censuring, i'm just saying out loud what i think is wrong.

I lately went through a thread about drastic changes that were likely to occur in the MFC in the months to come. Didn’t read it very attentively, was not that interested but it might not be a bad idea for Mr Penniman to regain control on what is happening here, maybe organize it on a more professional basis. We can trust him to do what is best for us all. Him included, shouldn’t forget to take care of number one.

I'm not sure what control it is you think that Mika needs to regain here because he never had any control to start with. MFC was created independently of Mika.

Rules were put in place as a courtesy to him and his family, and at the general consensus of most long-time members who do not think it's appropriate to plaster private photos of him and his family all over the forum. There was a very long discussion about this that included any members who wanted to participate and not just moderators and administrators.

Mika has indicated that he wants the forum to continue on in the way it's been run in the past. There is no guarantee things will not change, but you may want to be careful what you wish for. If you think that Mika's involvement is going to necessarily translate into more professional organization and less censorship you may be in for a surprise.

I'm not sure what control it is you think that Mika needs to regain here because he never had any control to start with. MFC was created independently of Mika.

Rules were put in place as a courtesy to him and his family, and at the general consensus of most long-time members who do not think it's appropriate to plaster private photos of him and his family all over the forum. There was a very long discussion about this that included any members who wanted to participate and not just moderators and administrators.

Mika has indicated that he wants the forum to continue on in the way it's been run in the past. There is no guarantee things will not change, but you may want to be careful what you wish for. If you think that Mika's involvement is going to necessarily translate into more professional organization and less censorship you may be in for a surprise.

Thanks for this, Christine. I was going to write something alluding to the "regaining control" thing but was too lazy to start typing it up right now.

I guess that this is the issue with new members? They don't know the ins and outs of how MFC started, and the fact that it has been acquired by Mika very recently, and is not really (in effect) under his direct management either.

Perhaps this could be added to the FAQ's in case other new members have queries about it...