REPORTS, PICS, VIDEOS OF MIKA @ Saturday Night Fiber - Madrid

Christine

Mika's good manners do not allow him to reject as many requests as he might like to.

Mika employs several tactics to extricate himself from these situations without sacrificing his good manners. I've seen it first hand.

This case was especially easy for him to bow out of because no one asked him directly. His management could have refused outright far in advance and not involved Mika at all (at least not to anyone's knowledge).

This outrageous need to personally have a moment with Mika is an impossible situation to be confronted with... it's almost as if demanding his additional time and attention, is an attempt to possess him in some dysfunctional way. I can't imagine this approach would work very well if one wished to pursue an actual friendship with someone in the world; why this approach is acceptable between relative strangers makes even less sense.

I agree with you in theory, but in practice, the situation is what it is. And no one is more responsible for the state of the current situation than Mika. He created this monster and he's the one who's going to have to tame it. Fans are not going to voluntarily relinquish the hold they have over him, especially when he is forever giving indications that he is an equal participant in the relationship.

Mika should be given the opportunity to practice this right. Not paraded around like a freak in a circus.

At some point somethings got to give.

Perhaps some may have some compassion and understand that it's simply impossible for one person to give so much personal attention to so many people.

I understand this completely and am especially disturbed by the freak in a circus aspect of what goes on after the shows. But since Mika has made no effort to curtail the circus I am a proponent of the organized meet and greets because the freak show element can be limited and people's behaviour controlled.

Instead of having 200 cameras and pens shoved in his face and people screaming at him while he leaves the venue he can have a civilized chat with whomever he chooses in the room.

I am glad that you elaborated because to me your first post across as if you were possibly speaking on Mika's behalf. Even though I agree with your points about the outrageous demands on Mika's time, I think it is unfair to Mika and the fans to present your point of view in that context. It makes Mika appear to be two-faced and even passive aggressive, as if he is allowing his real feelings to leak out instead of just saying no.

And for the fans...they are acting as humans do. Mika is constantly rewarding the most aggressive and relentless pursuers, thereby ensuring that such behaviour not only continues, but is encouraged in others.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for responding Christine.

I still stand by my previous post in this thread.

When you said there were some shady circumstances that cornered Mika into the meet and greet were you talking about this particular meet and greet?

Because, while I understand your later point that making a request is an imposition in and of itself, there were certainly no shady dealings involved from the MFC side of things.

If there's something else going on behind the scenes I'm not sure what purpose it serves to bring it up here without clarifying so that we know what you're referring to. Especially when such vague statements make it sound like MFCers were involved in shady dealings or pressuring Mika or his mother in a totally unacceptable way.

And for the fans...they are acting as humans do. Mika is constantly rewarding the most aggressive and relentless pursuers, thereby ensuring that such behaviour not only continues, but is encouraged in others.

Yes, this happens even within a civilised meet and greet, some people still take more than their share. Obviously Mika has to deal with this and can't do much about it, but in essence the most pushy people get more of his attention and are therefore encouraged to replicate their behaviour.

To be honest in Madrid, I said about two sentences to Mika, then others were talking, I got a little involved again, until I noticed what I was doing, and sat down again.

It occured to me at the time how difficult it must be for Mika, it was noisy (the dj was still on) three or four people were trying to talk to him at once, some in broken/accented english to which he had to listen very carefully to understand and he was being asked questions, can you do this, why don't you do that etc.

I mean the questions alone would annoy me, why don't you come to America more, play this venue, sing that song etc. All of which he tries to answer diplomatically.

What puzzles me though is if he really doesn't like meet and greets, why does he agree to them? It would have been the easiest thing in the world, just to be whisked off after Madrid.

Then you have Nyon or whatever, he came out and chatted. Some of the people were the same as the ones at Madrid who had already had a nice little chat a few days before. It wasn't an organised thing, he just came out. So either he wants to or feels he has to. Either way those fans are left with the impression that he wanted to speak to them.

Sorry, it all confuses the hell out of me.

After my last post, I thought I might explain a little more.

Also, to be clear, I am not making a personal attack against anyone, in case I am misunderstood once again.

It seems it would be wise and kind to reconsider one's position as a fan ("official" or not) and what one assumes that "should" include. The sense of entitlement and privilege that so many act upon when pursuing Mika either to express their admiration or gratitude or simply to look or have a chat, is a suffocating situation -- to constantly be put into the position of obliging or turning down people. Mika's good manners do not allow him to reject as many requests as he might like to. I am not only referring to simple autograph sessions which should be chosen at his discretion but to the firm grip many are trying to have over Mika as he becomes more popular as an artist... the request for meet and greets, as an example.

Sometimes the very act of asking is already an imposition: however sweetly one might imagine one is asking. And after all, meet and greets are not casual or natural occasions but forced situations as requested by the most "loyal" of fans.

This outrageous need to personally have a moment with Mika is an impossible situation to be confronted with... it's almost as if demanding his additional time and attention, is an attempt to possess him in some dysfunctional way. I can't imagine this approach would work very well if one wished to pursue an actual friendship with someone in the world; why this approach is acceptable between relative strangers makes even less sense.

Whether it be Rudolph Nureyev or Cesaria Evora or Sylvie Guillem or Bandō Tamasaburō or Vladimir Ashkenazy or Mika, they each have earned the right of the artist. The choice of either going out to their public or simply disappearing to be alone after the intensity of a performance. An artist should have the freedom of choice... Mika should be given the opportunity to practice this right. Not paraded around like a freak in a circus.

Perhaps some may have some compassion and understand that it's simply impossible for one person to give so much personal attention to so many people. Most especially after more than an hour of giving all his heart, his passion, his love... himself. After more than an hour of completely abandoning himself on stage to his craft... to the moment.

I'm so glad you took the time to elaborate further, titania. You raise some good points. And sometimes I forget these things, even though I "know" them. They just aren't sitting at the forefront of my consciousness when I'm sitting at my keyboard living vicariously through the experiences of those attending the gigs. Does that make me partly responsible for the perpetuation of a "culture" on the MFC of expecting Mika to be available to us? I don't know. I'm not at the gigs myself, but I certainly participate in the conversations afterwards where we all congratulate those who got to see him and talk to him and take pics and get autographs etc... And while to me that seems only natural, it does set up a sense of expectation amongst forum members that they could very well meet Mika and that they almost have a "right" to do so.

But as Christine has said, it's all complicated by Mika himself and the way he behaves. And on those occasions where he does not come out to meet the fans, the disappointment felt by many often turns to something else, with many "having a go" at Mika (and not necessarily those who missed out on meeting him, but often by those others sitting at home who didn't actually go to the gig). We forget that it is not an automatic given that he will come out, and that he really has no obligation to do so, and that we actually have few "rights" in the matter. And as much as we claim "We are his fans, we made him, he owes us", this simply is not true.

Now I'm going to be completely hypocritical and say that I too wish to have the opportunity to meet Mika someday (hopefully in Australia). What I will have to keep in mind though is the fact that it may not happen for a variety of reasons. Temper my expectations with a hefty dose of reality and stop thinking just about myself.

Hmmmm. Thanks for making me think.

Also, to be clear, I am not making a personal attack against anyone, in case I am misunderstood once again.

It seems it would be wise and kind to reconsider one's position as a fan ("official" or not) and what one assumes that "should" include. The sense of entitlement and privilege that so many act upon when pursuing Mika either to express their admiration or gratitude or simply to look or have a chat, is a suffocating situation -- to constantly be put into the position of obliging or turning down people. Mika's good manners do not allow him to reject as many requests as he might like to. I am not only referring to simple autograph sessions which should be chosen at his discretion but to the firm grip many are trying to have over Mika as he becomes more popular as an artist... the request for meet and greets, as an example.

Sometimes the very act of asking is already an imposition: however sweetly one might imagine one is asking. And after all, meet and greets are not casual or natural occasions but forced situations as requested by the most "loyal" of fans.

Whether it be Rudolph Nureyev or Cesaria Evora or Sylvie Guillem or Bandō Tamasaburō or Vladimir Ashkenazy or Mika, they each have earned the right of the artist. The choice of either going out to their public or simply disappearing to be alone after the intensity of a performance. An artist should have the freedom of choice... Mika should be given the opportunity to practice this right. Not paraded around like a freak in a circus.

Perhaps some may have some compassion and understand that it's simply impossible for one person to give so much personal attention to so many people. Most especially after more than an hour of giving all his heart, his passion, his love... himself. After more than an hour of completely abandoning himself on stage to his craft... to the moment.

I do agree with a lot of points you make. After a show, giving his all to entertain us, he must be pretty shattered, and it would be totally understandable for him to just want to go back to his hotel and crash out, without stopping to talk to anyone. And I wouldn't blame him, my job entails some days of working, sometimes without a break, solidly for 8/10 hours. And when I get home all I want to do is zone out for the rest of the night, so I can sympathise.

So if he doesn't want to have any contact with fans after the show, whether it be an organised M&G, or the quick signing session on his way out, it's his choice.

And lets remember, HE started this right back at the beginning, when there was only about 5/6 people waiting. He know's he's in this for the long haul, so if he didn't want to start meeting fans after shows, he wouldn't, or even shouldn't have started in the first place.

It's a two way street. Yes there is a, now slightly overbearing expectation from one side to have more from him after a show, but he's a big boy and he can say no, if he really wants to. And if he's starting to get a little jaded from it, then that's what he should do.

But from what I've been hearing from the recent M&G in Madrid and the surprise one we got in Amsterdam, he seemed more than happy to do them. Amsterdam for example, where we sat, he stood and chatted for quite a while (even though he shouldn't have), not because he was being encouraged, but because HE wouldn't shut up!

He appeared so excited to see Queenie, he was going 16 to the dozen, even when she was trying to wind the conversation down, he kept going. Now does that seem like the action of someome who doesn't want to see his fans?

And Madrid, the reports, were pretty much the same, he came out to see the MFCers and was beaming from ear to ear. No one expected it straight after the show, I think they expected him to shower first, but he didn't. Maybe because of the late hour, which is understandable.

So, yes, maybe we shouldn't expect so much from him, but he hasn't shown any signs yet of wanting it to stop.

I think his agreeing to a small intimate M&G is probably the way things may start to go in the future, smaller, managable meetings after shows for a half hour before he leaves.

Lot's of artists do meet and greets, they find it a good way of touching base with their fans, not an imposition.

It occured to me at the time how difficult it must be for Mika, it was noisy (the dj was still on) three or four people were trying to talk to him at once, some in broken/accented english to which he had to listen very carefully to understand and he was being asked questions, can you do this, why don't you do that etc.

I mean the questions alone would annoy me, why don't you come to America more, play this venue, sing that song etc. All of which he tries to answer diplomatically.

What puzzles me though is if he really doesn't like meet and greets, why does he agree to them?

Well this is exactly the thing. I would go mad if I had to endure the things that Mika does, but I'm not Mika. I can certainly feel empathy and compassion for him, but I'm not sure how wise it is to project my own feelings onto him.

All the fans have to go on is Mika's behaviour. We have all seen him be unfailingly polite to fans but he can always refuse a pre-arranged meet and greet without appearing rude so his desire to be polite is not a sufficient explanation for why he still spends hours with his fans after the gigs.

Lot's of artists do meet and greets, they find it a good way of touching base with their fans, not an imposition.

I'm not sure they all necessarily view it that way, but like it or not it's a standard part of the job. I was surprised to hear reports of lollipop girls being unceremoniously dumped onto the street while Mika remained backstage during some North American gigs. Every time I've been backstage there are quasi-parties going on with industry people and this always involves fans of some description or another. Since the lollipop girls had performed during the show for free and were not just a bunch of gatecrashing fangurls, I thought it was particularly ridiculous that they were ushered out as if they were trespassing on hallowed ground.

It is normal that record companies, radio stations, promoters and sponsors are going to expect artists to meet people after the gig. They don't have to love it. Just like I don't have to love filling out expense forms at my job.

Yes it's a bit alarming when fans carry on as if their £20 somehow entitles them to all of these things over and above Mika's on stage performance. But at the same time I don't think Mika is going to enjoy the kind of success he's looking for if he acts like his job begins and ends at the stage entrance.

Yes it's a bit alarming when fans carry on as if their £20 somehow entitles them to all of these things over and above Mika's on stage performance. But at the same time I don't think Mika is going to enjoy the kind of success he's looking for if he acts like his job begins and ends at the stage entrance.

Why not? Because he has to compensate for other things like lack of recognition in the US or a saturated music market or the fact that people now have so much self-determination when it comes to music thanks to the internet and therefore exposure to so many different artists or....???

You've worked in the industry and have a different perspective on things to me, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

i need to say something...all this talking about how mika must feel...i find it useless

and the moaning too

if you were in nyon with me avoca and fanny...all this would simply vanish in the air.

mika was so happy to be with us...so happy and relaxed and chatty...he talked without being asked question..it was 2 am ...so.

wtf?

why he was like this?

i don't know...but HE WAS LIKE THIS.

believe it or not, i don't care. i was there and i could see and witness.

Hi, Allegra! Heard you had had a good time recently

yes thank you...

:bye:

but now all is finished an i can dedicate my time to choose one of your 1541 island for a little holiday (and i say a true holiday... not a super fast visit of the capital of spain made without sleeping... :blush-anim-cl:)

Glad you liked it, it's always important to keep the costumer satisfied.

Ok, so now you go take your pizza and not diet coke and go to sleep, we need a fresh and clean Master!

now i'm fresh and clean... ask me everything and i will do....

I love you, Master

Waiting to see you very soon!!!

super big girl :thumb_yello:

i'm waiting the dates of your next tour... the big girl tour... of course

I guess he can relate to that :wub2:

:bye:

I agree with Robi in every point. I was there, I know what I saw. It's up to him to stop this or go on with it. As for me, I'm only too happy he was actually so happy to see us and have a little chat with us. Nobody put a gun to his head, he could have easily said no, none of us would have made much fuss about it, we didn't expect anything at all anyway.

i need to say something...all this talking about how mika must feel...i find it useless

and the moaning too

if you were in nyon with me avoca and fanny...all this would simply vanish in the air.

mika was so happy to be with us...so happy and relaxed and chatty...he talked without being asked question..it was 2 am ...so.

wtf?

why he was like this?

i don't know...but HE WAS LIKE THIS.

believe it or not, i don't care. i was there and i could see and witness.

Thanks for this post, Robi. :thumb_yello:

I agree with Robi in every point. I was there, I know what I saw. It's up to him to stop this or go on with it. As for me, I'm only too happy he was actually so happy to see us and have a little chat with us. Nobody put a gun to his head, he could have easily said no, none of us would have made much fuss about it, we didn't expect anything at all anyway.

Agreed! :thumb_yello:

ok, I seldom read reports of gigs i have not been to, so I had slipped away this one. since my name's been involved I feel it's necessary for me to post about it.

I agree people is often pressing, that's up to how a person is, they can be pressing in any and every matter, depends on the person.

I was there, others was there and they can witness when he saw us in paris (1st gig of the new tour), after a warm hello and how are you, he said IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE SOME FAMILIAR FACES! you can believe it or not, i could care less, but it's true.

so we are not more, we (at least i speak for myself and a few others) do not aim to be more, but we are familiar faces.

we have been to a few gigs, like many (and SEVERAL of us are familiar faces), and he remembers us. that's it.

he's kind by default, even too kind at times, I am not patient by nature and I'd not be as kind as he is in most cases. when he says no, he always says it politely. and is even blamed for that (side note, but let's leave this out for now..).

BUt he was NOT pressed, or asked to talk to us, or call us in: john came and he told ME mika would come and when I said it's all right, I have this to give him, give it yourself , he said NO, YOU GIVE HIM CAUSE HE COMES AND WHEN HE SEES YOU, HE'LL STOP.

mika'd seen us front row (me and fanny): we were few, very few mfc'ers there, and he sang in our direction and gave eye contact very often, but that's cause he saw some people he'd seen a few times.

and that's why he called us backstage. he didn't even know i had smt to give him. we didn't ask, we didn't press. he called for us. probably cause we were few. I don't know. I am not him. but i was there and I don't tolerate people who wasn't to say things they haven't seen/heard/witnessed. you have the right not believe it, it's a free world, but it's 4 of us who can say so.

I am happy about what happened cause he called us and I won't deny it. I didn't ask, i didn't press, I was just there. I am sorry for those who haven't met him, that's a big pity. if he was an american artist, i probably would have never met him cause I could not fly there.

I don't feel in any way better than any other fan, I am not and I have no titles to say so. NO ONE HAS THIS TITLE.

and he kept talking and coming back to us: we didn't call him, I gave him the book and then he kept coming back and talking about the most different things. he brought up new topics allt he time. I dunno why he felt at ease, last gig in europe, very few people, few familiar faces.. I haven't got a clue, but it's true.

all the right to have opposite opinions, but please do not come and say things have been gone differently than they have gone when you weren't even there.

end of the story.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your thoughts. You know, people are easily confused by posts like that. You may notice, if you try to have a look at what you do, from the outside. A handful people coming back from a gig and a meet and greet, walking on air, because they just had an experience that made them happy. Just the moment they start to share, you jump in and virtually slap them in their faces for having had a good time, as it seems. It's hard to understand where you're coming from, as the matter-of-fact way of your wording seems to imply that you act like Mika's inofficial spokesperson while you're probably just expressing your thoughts on the matter. That doesn't come across so clearly and of course people don't know how to take that. Thanks for clarifying that in fact it was not meant to be a personal attack as it doesn't take much to see it as such.

I saw your point after Brixton, which was indeed a bit chaotic and pinned me to the wall, observing, but your post in this thead left me just a bit confused as well.

See, this is why I have such a hard time, categorising myself a 'fan'. While, during the last few gigs I attended, I started to have the impression that being a fan is not necessarily linked to being possessive, obsessive, stupid, egomaniac and plain pathetic, you just lectured us the opposite. We're, of course all a bunch of loonies, having nothing better to do than stalk poor MIKA day and night, chase him and torture him with our weird approach. Without any exception.

Titania, are you aware that you make Mika look like fake and moreover, like a helpless little child, unable to express his wishes? Unable to say 'No'? You must have noticed the little teacup storm we had just a couple of weeks ago about those two girls in Amsterdam who asked for a photo which was, can you believe it, refused by the Mika himself. Trust me, been there. He is for sure articulate enough to say so if a certain situation rubs him the wrong way and he does it. I really wouldn't want to find myself in the same room with him if I knew that it's the last thing on earth he'd fancy. He must be a darn good actor if it is true, what you say. And you don't really do him a favour there because, as I said before, you make him look fake.

And still he/his management/his mum can say NO. Easy as that. Seriously, are you always giving in to every request that is brought forward to you?

Speaking of his mum, btw, I really have a hard time to picture her as that weak woman, easily to be forced into situations whatsoever. I don't know her, of course.

Am I getting you right here, you are assuming that people are after his friendship? You're obviously taking us for freaking maniacs altogether.

I've never been extraordinarily interested in ballet dancers or Kabuki actors, never heard any of the names you mentioned above, apart from one, yes, I'm that ignorant. I don't really get what you're trying to say here. Do you want to say they are better artists than Mika, or worse, or go into hiding after their performance instead of talking to people? I'm sorry I really can't see the link.

About the freedom of choice, that's nothing linked to being an artist whatsoever. Everybody has it. So does Mika. And the CIRCUS freak comparison really made me laugh.

I'm pretty sure that none of the people of the Madrid M&G expected anything. If it wouldn't have happened, it wouldn't have happened. Easy as that. No need to bring people down.

We know that he's giving all his heart, his passion etc. on stage. Some of us have seen it.

If he can say no to a ****ing picture to be taken he can for sure say no to a bunch of mad people, chasing and threatening him with their lunatic questions and their pathetic admiration, which in fact might be just interest and approval for what he does.

Thank you, titania. A year ago I was convinced I would never in my life find myself in such a creepy fan M&G situation, as it seemed to me to be the most ridiculous, silly, stupid and degrading thing to do. Out of five gigs I attended I was waiting after three of them. Left two of those not really with a feeling of having done something outrageously dumb.

Might refrain from it in the future.

Why not? Because he has to compensate for other things like lack of recognition in the US or a saturated music market or the fact that people now have so much self-determination when it comes to music thanks to the internet and therefore exposure to so many different artists or....???

You've worked in the industry and have a different perspective on things to me, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Well I haven't worked in the industry in 15 years but I expect that artists are even more accessible than they were at the time because they now can and do use direct communication with fans to promote themselves.

Most people aren't as lucky as Mika to be launched into the stratosphere the week that their first single is released. They have to be down on the ground and using a fan base to help launch themselves. Mika also had assistance in this regard and recognizes that it was early fans who helped create the initial buzz that drew so much media attention.

Even 20 years ago it was just part of the job to schmooze. Not necessarily die hard fan club members but contest winners, record company executive's daughters, promoters, etc. I went to a meet and greet type party once with Janet Jackson and she was already far more famous than Mika is in North America. She was just there to promote her album.

All of the record company promotional and sales staff were there and some members of the press. I brought one of my 17-year-old friends so there were plenty of regular young people milling about. Her bodyguard and a photographer helped her worked the room. She said hello and had photographs taken with everyone there.

She appeared extremely shy (she was only 20 years old) and, like Titania says, it's a bit of an odd forced situation. But that's what people do when they are trying to sell a product. And in the case of an artist, the product is themselves, not just their work.

The first Mika gig I went to appeared to me to be exactly this kind of promotional opportunity, moreso than a concert. The upstairs of the club was reserved for a party afterwards and I suspect there were a lot of industry types there who'd heard about Mika and had come to check him out or report on him or whatever. I also noticed this in the audience during the gig as the demographic was remarkably different from later gigs and there were only a handful of serious fans in the front couple of rows.

I didn't stay after the gig but, according to Suzy, Jerry came and got some of the fans and brought them upstairs to meet Mika, get their photos taken, get autographs, etc. This was March 2007 so no one knew Mika or Jerry and there probably weren't more than 2 or 3 MFCers at the gig (I wasn't even MFC at the time). None of the fans forced Mika into any awkward situation. He could have just remained at his party upstairs and the employees of the club would have kicked the fans out without it reflecting badly on Mika or his management.

Also when Mika arrived at the club in the afternoon, fans were so surprised to see him that when he stopped they didn't say anything. Mika is the one who started striking up conversations - talking about the weather, asking them questions, etc.

I don't know why Mika does this. Does he just love talking to people? Does it give him a thrill to give his fans a thrill? Does he want to get feedback? Does he think it's a smart PR move? I don't know, but he did it in March 2007 and he's still doing it in July 2008.

I was there, others was there and they can witness when he saw us in paris (1st gig of the new tour), after a warm hello and how are you, he said IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE SOME FAMILIAR FACES! you can believe it or not, i could care less, but it's true.

I can believe it. Sara (Sariflor), Suzy and I were at Mika's second North American gig in January and we talked to Andy about how we'd been at the last London show in December. Sara mentioned that she lived in London and had flown to Toronto for the gig.

Andy showed Mika the footage and later on Andy told Sara the same thing - that Mika said it was good to see some familiar faces. Mika had only played 2 tiny club dates in Canada up to this point so he knew there weren't going to be 50 or 100 regular fans in the front row cheering him on as he'd become accustomed to.

And Mika meant what he said. You'd swear there was no one else in the room except Mika and the dozen or so MFCers. He gave Sara in particular a lot of attention. She got constant eye contact and you can see it in her videos.

Going on stage in an unfamiliar country or being the centre of attention in a room of 100 strangers is a daunting task. Obviously Mika is going to feel more comfortable when there are familiar faces there supporting him. It's human nature.

Going on stage in an unfamiliar country or being the centre of attention in a room of 100 strangers is a daunting task. Obviously Mika is going to feel more comfortable when there are familiar faces there supporting him. It's human nature.

All of what you wrote was very interesting Christine.

I just wanted to comment on the above paragraph... I will never be a familiar face to Mika. That saddens me a little. But there's not a lot I can do about it (I can't change my geographical, financial and social circumstances), so I have to just live with it I guess. And I would be in the majority here in terms of Mika fans. He won't recognise most of us. (Not talking MFC'ers here, but Mika fans the world over). Human nature does make me envious though.... particularly of the familiar faces of the MFC that he does know and seem to want to chat to. If I didn't really like the majority of those people because of how they are on the forum, I would hate them I'm sure!

But Robi brought up an interesting point in the Oldlings once when talking about Mika possibly coming to Australia, and lots of MFC'ers talking about coming over for a visit. She said that she wondered if it was the right thing to do. If a bunch of Mika's old fans that he knows well were there, would that overshadow the "new faces" and not give them an opportunity to be Mika's focus? (Presuming we did get to meet him.)

I found that difficult. I thought it was a lovely sentiment, and there was a part of me that completely agreed with what she was saying. Another part of me was dismayed at the idea of not catching up with these MFC'ers that I've been chatting to for months. Yet another part was tossing up whether we were more likely to actually get to see Mika if we were a smaller crowd of MFC'ers from Aus alone or if being with the international ones that he knows would be more likely to actually get us an opportunity to meet Mika. (Very calculating I know, and I'm ashamed to admit I thought it, but I did).

Maybe this is where pre-organised MFC M&G's come into their own. I don't know. They have their own set of drawbacks and problems...

I don't even remember what I originally wanted to say, cos I feel very much like I've gone off on a tangent.:bleh:

I just wanted to comment on the above paragraph... I will never be a familiar face to Mika. That saddens me a little. But there's not a lot I can do about it (I can't change my geographical, financial and social circumstances), so I have to just live with it I guess. And I would be in the majority here in terms of Mika fans. He won't recognise most of us. (Not talking MFC'ers here, but Mika fans the world over). Human nature does make me envious though.... particularly of the familiar faces of the MFC that he does know and seem to want to chat to. If I didn't really like the majority of those people because of how they are on the forum, I would hate them I'm sure!

But Robi brought up an interesting point in the Oldlings once when talking about Mika possibly coming to Australia, and lots of MFC'ers talking about coming over for a visit. She said that she wondered if it was the right thing to do. If a bunch of Mika's old fans that he knows well were there, would that overshadow the "new faces" and not give them an opportunity to be Mika's focus? (Presuming we did get to meet him.)

I found that difficult. I thought it was a lovely sentiment, and there was a part of me that completely agreed with what she was saying. Another part of me was dismayed at the idea of not catching up with these MFC'ers that I've been chatting to for months. Yet another part was tossing up whether we were more likely to actually get to see Mika if we were a smaller crowd of MFC'ers from Aus alone or if being with the international ones that he knows would be more likely to actually get us an opportunity to meet Mika. (Very calculating I know, and I'm ashamed to admit I thought it, but I did).

Maybe this is where pre-organised MFC M&G's come into their own. I don't know. They have their own set of drawbacks and problems...

I don't even remember what I originally wanted to say, cos I feel very much like I've gone off on a tangent.:bleh:

Hi Chickadee,

I don't really have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say that it's normal to have conflicting feelings about all this.............There are so many emotions involved, and that's always how it is when you've found someone who has touched your life in the way Mika has done to all of us.

And of course the MFCers are a vital part of that........it's impossible to separate the two, in my experience.

So don't feel upset or annoyed at yourself, I know how frustrating it is when emotions and thoughts seem incompatible but you experience them all at the same time.......

Have I made any sense at all?!

268152474330380551e4ooz9.jpg

Niiiiiiiice pic!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!! :thumb_yello:

I just wanted to comment on the above paragraph... I will never be a familiar face to Mika. That saddens me a little.

You just never know how these things are going to go. Mika seems to have an extraordinary memory and context is very important. I'm certain he would remember Blue Sky in a heartbeat the next time he's in Japan.

I know Mika doesn't exacty stop into Australia on a regular basis but he may not have 200 hardcore fans following him around when he gets there either. A familiar face in Australia is going to mean something different than a familiar face in Europe.

If you're in it for the long haul you may get the chance to see Mika several times, so what feels like "never" now may not be a few years down the road.

But Robi brought up an interesting point in the Oldlings once when talking about Mika possibly coming to Australia, and lots of MFC'ers talking about coming over for a visit. She said that she wondered if it was the right thing to do. If a bunch of Mika's old fans that he knows well were there, would that overshadow the "new faces" and not give them an opportunity to be Mika's focus?

This is where people need to step back and let others have their turn. Some of the things I witness or hear about in Europe are baffling to me because I just wonder when is it ever going to be enough? How many times do you need to meet Mika before you stop acting starstruck around him and forget that there are other people in the room? How many times do you have to say hi before you no longer feel the need to be clung to his side so people who've never met him before can't get near him?

If some more veteran MFC concertgoers find themselves in Australia I hope they will take a step back and let fans who rarely get a chance to have contact with Mika have their turn.

I don't see any reason why it has to be a choice of meeting other MFCers or Australians having their turn with Mika. People just need to exhibit some self-control and take a step back. If their only motivation for going to Australia is to get Mika's attention then they probably shouldn't go.

Have read the dispute arisen here and feel so relieved as I have never had even the slightest wish to be present at Mika's M&G meetings and I am confused at the same time as, lately, I have been thinking a lot whether it was a good idea to register here since I'm not a hardcore fan of Mika. I am not a hardcore fan of any other artist. But respect and admire many, though. Buy and listen their music, go to their gigs.

So, I decided to register in when I’d read here that Mika may go to do Beirut and then I wanted to share my warm feelings about the country I had recently visited and loved it at first sight (and again my favour to Leb. has nothing to do with Mika, as I learned about M.'s existence about a week before my flight for Beirut)

Therefore the Beirut gig was the reason for me to register in and I was determined to leave it as it was, until I saw that someone had referred to my post while chatting with other mfcer and then I got a feeling as it would be more well-behaved to say my hello and introduce myself since I had practically entered the “MFC room”. Honestly, I didn’t expect that people come along to say hello.

Sry, I am constantly losing the point. Ok, back to Mika. :roftl:

I truly want to go to his gig (and I will!) and get a taste of his live show and, furthermore, I am determined to find a place more close to his sound technician than the stage and I won’t give a damn for his haircut, clothes, hats, bloodtype, orientation or his puppet eyes.

I have seen loads of photos of Mika here, but actually haven’t liked much none of them with one exception. Not sure, but I think the snap I am talking was apparently taken in the beginning of his career. (I’d run after any guy dressed up alike and tried to figure out what he’s looking inside :naughty: ). But that’s not relevant, too, I guess. (seems, I did it again, lost the point:confused:)

Sometimes it frightens me how huge the details conc Mika can grow here. I’m far from pointing my finger towards anyone since I haven’t been present at the M&G happenings but, yet, have experienced quite similar feelings that Titania referred to in her/his post, if she/he had spoken generally and not of some specific matter. I hope I’ve caught the point as I do uphold the idea to speak about things that you have either witnessed in person or surely know what’s going on and was trying to say that on The Luke Juby Thread but became knocked down by democracy warning :)

Unlike many longstanding mfcers who have been involved in Mika's career and had seen it growing gradually, then I’d come across with Mika stuff (and even then maybe only a half of that) within 1-2 weeks. To see all the showcases, interviews and TV shows that he had made all over the globe and gigs about Europe and North America gave me a different feelings of this. (Watching the material I suddenly understood what a lucky beggar I was having a privilege to fall asleep in my own bed and not being forced to knock about hotels. Btw, does anyone know how many gigs and TV shows and interviews Mika had made last year? )

On that ground it has at times been confusing for me to read some posts here judging Mika whom he should work with or what venues to show up. Thus, for me it’s hard to agree with the position that he had created his fans and must be ready for the consequences. I do respect the other people’s positions but must say that as far as I’m concerned that statement sounds selfish to me. Has he asked anyone to join the club? If you look what people have posted up on their let-me-introduce-myself threads you can see that major reason what made them to sign in was because of Mika’s music and not because of Mika had invited to join.

What concerns meet and greet sessions I’ve watched some of the M&G clips uploaded here and in Youtube and have always seen some shouting and muddle around Mika, even when we’ve reported that everything went very relaxed.

I am not going to take the floor about the M&G matter further since I’m not bright enough to say something worth about. I’m certain that Mika can cope with the stuff when necessary and I am not his bodyguard nor his mom to defend him. But I do hope that Mika never needs to follow The Fall’s singer Mark E. Smith’s motto according to which he gets rid of his fans over three years as by that time they had become too familiar and too annoying to him.

Yours truly, hele

P.S. Hope I didn’t hurt any mfcer’s feelings. As I am not fluent in English I might slipped with tones and words. Didn’t want to be a judge or something, just express how I feel. And I'm working on to improve my language skills.

P.P.S. I have read my post and would elaborate that I wouldn't mind meeting Mika but then rather as Mica Penniman than MIKA, e.g. on some holiday travelling bumping into in some hotel lounge and have a chit-chat about what some has seen on his travel or share useful info, etc.

I don't know why Mika does this. Does he just love talking to people? Does it give him a thrill to give his fans a thrill? Does he want to get feedback? Does he think it's a smart PR move? I don't know, but he did it in March 2007 and he's still doing it in July 2008.

Of course, he has his goals. We all have, haven't we? I have.

Just one more thought on the matter, as it crossed my mind today.

Does any of you remember that little piece of footage from Somerset House, featuring Mika and Alan Cumming, not the longer interview, filmed during the day, but another little snippet of the both of them later that night?

I tried to find it, but failed unfortunately, yet I am sure it was not a figment.

However, Mika said right into the camera that, what he wanted to be was both "populist and credible". Those were the words and this is exactly what he IS, at least in my book.

And he does whatever it takes to do justice to those self-implied qualities. Speaking of having the choice, or being entitled to have a choice. This is his one. Seriously, you can't complain on his behalf that he's forced into organised meet&greet situations while he's leaving them, just to spend another hour signing stuff on the back door for those who weren't let it.

I may not be very well schooled when it comes to names of famous ballet dancers, but I know enough about marketing to think that maybe, just maybe populism and credibility are exactly the things that make the difference in this business, that generate the additional benefit others can't or are not willing to provide.

I'm not a hardcore fan of Mika. I am not a hardcore fan of any other artist. But respect and admire many, though. Buy and listen their music, go to their gigs.

I was not a hardcore Mika fan when I first thought about registering here either. If someone had explained to me all that was about to go on at Mika's gigs and MFC over the subsequent year I would have thought it was insane and probably run in the other direction.

I truly want to go to his gig (and I will!) and get a taste of his live show and, furthermore, I am determined to find a place more close to his sound technician than the stage and I won’t give a damn for his haircut, clothes, hats, bloodtype, orientation or his puppet eyes.

I predict you will still be mesmerized by him on stage in spite of yourself. :fisch:

It doesn't matter if you find him attractive or like his clothes or whatever. He is very charismatic and the energy he generates in a room is infectious and more to do with his performance than his music.

In some respects his music suffers during live performances because he cannot sing perfectly while he's running all over the place. You might be a bit disappointed if all you want is what the sound technician produces.

Btw, does anyone know how many gigs and TV shows and interviews Mika had made last year?

Umm...a lot! :wink2:

He went pretty much nonstop from December 06 to August 07, probably doing about 15 to 20 gigs a month and cramming in as many TV appearances and interviews as possible. When he first came to Toronto for example he appeared on MuchMusic and MTV and attended two parties in his honour in addition to his gig.

He had to cancel dates in July and August due to illness brought on by running himself ragged and finally booked off altogether after mid-August. He started up another tour in October, again doing about 15 or 20 dates a month until early December.

Thus, for me it’s hard to agree with the position that he had created his fans and must be ready for the consequences. I do respect the other people’s positions but must say that as far as I’m concerned that statement sounds selfish to me. Has he asked anyone to join the club? If you look what people have posted up on their let-me-introduce-myself threads you can see that major reason what made them to sign in was because of Mika’s music and not because of Mika had invited to join.

The fanclub was entirely independent of Mika until Mika made the decision to involve himself by purchasing the fan club. This came about after MFC petitioned him to make the fanclub official. In other words it was not Mika who invited anyone to join the club but us who asked Mika.

He deals with MFCers just about every day he is touring. He reads the site, he gets their messages through MySpace and hand delivered letters and projects. He knows what people want from him and he continually gives them things that they ask for, along with things that they never dared to ask for. Naturally they take whatever he has to offer and they keep on hoping for more.

If Mika doesn't want to talk to people after his gigs then why does he spend hour after hour doing it? Why does he seek out specific people to meet him backstage? Why does he take their hand and look them in the eye and tell them that it's good to see them again? Why does he ask fans to dance on stage with him? Why does he have someone interview fans at every gig and watch the videos afterwards? Why did he buy our fanclub and tell us that he did it to help us for supporting him?

It takes a very grounded - even somewhat cynical - person to witness all of that and come to the conclusion that Mika is just being polite and actually would rather not be around his fans. It's difficult for even the most rational of people not to feel special when Mika goes to extraordinary lengths to make them feel that way.

If Mika wants fans to keep their distance, then the onus is on him to keep them at arm's length. He is the one that drew fans close to him when he needed their support and he was being extremely naive if he thought that that wasn't going to come at a price. I think Mika feels this relationship is still mutually beneficial or he wouldn't participate in it and continually dig himself in deeper by doing things like purchasing MFC and holding champagne receptions for his fans.

But I do hope that Mika never needs to follow The Fall’s singer Mark E. Smith’s motto according to which he gets rid of his fans over three years as by that time they had become too familiar and too annoying to him.

There is a happy medium in there somewhere but Mika has to be the one to set the boundaries. Fans are not going to do it voluntarily. Not all of them anyway and it only takes a couple of overly familiar or pushy people to create these problems.

As I am not fluent in English I might slipped with tones and words. Didn’t want to be a judge or something, just express how I feel. And I'm working on to improve my language skills.

Your language skills are exceptional. :thumb_yello:

P.P.S. I have read my post and would elaborate that I wouldn't mind meeting Mika but then rather as Mica Penniman than MIKA, e.g. on some holiday travelling bumping into in some hotel lounge and have a chit-chat about what some has seen on his travel or share useful info, etc.

Yeah me too. It would be nice wouldn't it?

I know exactly what you mean here and I am kind of torn it two on this subject.

Imagine, London gigs are my home gigs. But everyone from everywhere comes to the London gigs. Just look at the acceptance lists. So unless I am extremely pushy, which I am not, I am very unlikely to be able to speak to Mika at a gig on my home turf.

In Brixton at the meet and greet, he was predominantly surrounded mostly by fans from places other than London, not only other than London, other than the UK. In fact when he was talking to the group as a whole about where they came from, the UK was the last country to be mentioned. You may think this is natural, as the gig was in the UK, he assumed there were a lot of us in the room. In fact there were not and I felt a little left out to be last on the list. It seemed to be special that everyone else was from somewhere else but not very special that we were from London.

This is the same at every London gig now. And quite a few others up and down the country.

So, what to do? Go to gigs in other countries and have more of a chance of meeting, or leave the meets to people who haven't met Mika yet?

You just never know how these things are going to go. Mika seems to have an extraordinary memory and context is very important. I'm certain he would remember Blue Sky in a heartbeat the next time he's in Japan.

I know Mika doesn't exacty stop into Australia on a regular basis but he may not have 200 hardcore fans following him around when he gets there either. A familiar face in Australia is going to mean something different than a familiar face in Europe.

If you're in it for the long haul you may get the chance to see Mika several times, so what feels like "never" now may not be a few years down the road.

This is where people need to step back and let others have their turn. Some of the things I witness or hear about in Europe are baffling to me because I just wonder when is it ever going to be enough? How many times do you need to meet Mika before you stop acting starstruck around him and forget that there are other people in the room? How many times do you have to say hi before you no longer feel the need to be clung to his side so people who've never met him before can't get near him?

If some more veteran MFC concertgoers find themselves in Australia I hope they will take a step back and let fans who rarely get a chance to have contact with Mika have their turn.

I don't see any reason why it has to be a choice of meeting other MFCers or Australians having their turn with Mika. People just need to exhibit some self-control and take a step back. If their only motivation for going to Australia is to get Mika's attention then they probably shouldn't go.

Agreed 100 % but not only for Australia, there are always fans who haven't had a chance to say hello to Mika at most gigs.

And there are nearly always those who have met him many times who need to exhibit self control.

I think people don't see how they are behaving when Mika is around.