I believe they build for the cold in Scandinavian countries with triple glazing and vast amounts of insulation. My house is 80 years old and no amount of improvement really solves the problem. :sneaky2:

We spent more than €50000 in improving this house but we'd need another 100000 to have it completely fixed!

Just because construction in the 70's sucked and in this street the works company's owner was a thief and stole on materials!

:sneaky2:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today we have had a severe weather warning in the UK. We are expecting ....... 4-10 cm of snow!

:lmfao:

4 inches of snow is hardly severe. 4 feet maybe :naughty:

Us brits tend to overreact to the threat of a bit of snow!:naughty: School decided to shut yesterday at 6.30 am when there was slightly less than 1mm of the stuff. Mind you, we have got quite a bit now- it's hard to tell how much has fallen-it all drifted overnight. Unfortunately, most of the snow got blown out of the garden :sneaky2:, but it's collected at the sides of fields and in dips in the ground to above knee height. I just love snow!

:naughty:

I believe they build for the cold in Scandinavian countries with triple glazing and vast amounts of insulation. My house is 80 years old and no amount of improvement really solves the problem. :sneaky2:

I lived in a Victorian house in London with normal windows but I just turned the heat up and I was always comfortable. The law in Toronto is that landlords have to provide a minimum temperature of 21°C. It's a legal right, not a middle class luxury as it sounds in Portugal. Personally I would give up everything short of food and running water before I would give up heat. I don't see the point in having TV, internet, car, mobile phones, etc. if you can't even be comfortable in your own home. But our winters are very long and extreme so I guess the mentality is different because there are many parts of Canada where you really could not survive without proper heat.

We spent more than €50000 in improving this house but we'd need another 100000 to have it completely fixed!

Just because construction in the 70's sucked and in this street the works company's owner was a thief and stole on materials!

:sneaky2:

Jeez, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build a new house from scratch? :aah:

it's collected at the sides of fields and in dips in the ground to above knee height. I just love snow!

I saw some pics and you get nice fluffy snow there, like they have in Vancouver. The snow in Toronto is very different and it's really unpleasant if you are just going about your daily business in the city. It turns to grey-brown-black muck from the salt and cars within an hour. :thumbdown: I have given up wearing winter boots and just wear wellies all year round. Do you have a place nearby to go sledging?

I lived in a Victorian house in London with normal windows but I just turned the heat up and I was always comfortable. The law in Toronto is that landlords have to provide a minimum temperature of 21°C. It's a legal right, not a middle class luxury as it sounds in Portugal. Personally I would give up everything short of food and running water before I would give up heat. I don't see the point in having TV, internet, car, mobile phones, etc. if you can't even be comfortable in your own home. But our winters are very long and extreme so I guess the mentality is different because there are many parts of Canada where you really could not survive without proper heat.

Jeez, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build a new house from scratch? :aah:

Our landlords provide nothing of a kind...:no:

Sometimes they even escape the law and dont fix things in buildings and such, so renters have to pay it themselves...

And this house is a very old house with 4 floors so it gets very expensive to heat up...

We moved here coz it was my husbands' childhood house and he always wanted to live here instead of living in a five rooms apartment, which was already very expensive to keep heated...

We used to have a €500 electricity bill and we managed to reduce it to half in this house...

We have (had) a beautiful garden for children and pets to play...

I say had because some sort of hurricane catrina passed by here today and it destroyed everything...:sneaky2:

Problem is our winter lasts only for 3 months (Dec., jan. and feb.) so architects plan thinner walls for our houses, and consider wide varandas and wide glass windows in order to keep places cool in the summer, while your construction is made for winter temps...

Besides, we're not prepared for lower temperatures as we usually have mild ones during fall and spring, only winter is tough on us...

Remember our normal temperatures in the summer are 25C up reaching 40C/45C in august, so whenever it gets lower than 15C our balls freeze!:mf_rosetinted:

Tonight, we could feel that cold temps will be shortly behind us, we could actually walk without having your scarf up to your eyes...

For those wondering, it was -17 celsius:fisch:

really? it's so windy here! i can hear the wind from inside my house!

it's -18c but with wind factor, it's -29 :naughty:

That's it! i'm moving where you live! :sneaky2:

really? it's so windy here! i can hear the wind from inside my house!

it's -18c but with wind factor, it's -29 :naughty:

That's it! i'm moving where you live! :sneaky2:

I was in downtown Montreal, had a work party yesterday...

Still windy on your side of the south shore?

• 4 weeks later...

I just read that we've had about 50 hours of sunshine here in Finland since the beginning of December.:doh: And I live in the southern part of Finland so it's much less in Lapland... Plus most of that sunshine has been during the time I'm at school so I've seen maybe two hours of sunshine:blink: This is so depressing! But at least it's not cold anymore, only something like -5 C:thumb_yello:

I just read that we've had about 50 hours of sunshine here in Finland since the beginning of December.:doh: And I live in the southern part of Finland so it's much less in Lapland... Plus most of that sunshine has been during the time I'm at school so I've seen maybe two hours of sunshine:blink: This is so depressing! But at least it's not cold anymore, only something like -5 C:thumb_yello:

-5 C is not cold? :shocked:

Cold enough for me :naughty:

• 8 months later...
Apparently the UK could have hurricane strength winds tomorrow. :shocked: So far it's just raining. :mf_rosetinted:

Lots of wind here too all day and wind and rain now, maybe we live in the same country after all :fisch:

The name of this thread reminded me of this song :naughty::das:

I hope it's not as bad as the weather forecast says for you Silver :hug:

stormy is ok , not hurricane strenght wind :no:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Still good weather in Barcelona and surroundings, where I live, too much warm for being autumn but the forecast says it will change radically next Tuesday, it will snow in the Pyrenees and this will change the weather to more cold. :teehee:

Here it's really warm, the sun is shinning but the air is kinda cool, so it's perfect :blush-anim-cl:

My wish like every year is that I'll get to see some snow this winter :teehee::teehee:

:blush-anim-cl: And how would your Jaffa oranges like snow?!:teehee:

We already had this white stuff in the trees and on the fields, but it's way too early, and luckily it's all gone now - the weather is grey and wet, with good temp today :thumb_yello:

Love, love

me

:blush-anim-cl: And how would your Jaffa oranges like snow?!:teehee:

We already had this white stuff in the trees and on the fields, but it's way too early, and luckily it's all gone now - the weather is grey and wet, with good temp today :thumb_yello:

Love, love

me

Haha well they don't really like snow :teehee: But I can live without them:mf_rosetinted:

lol "this white stuff", like it :aah:

Soon it will get here also grey and wet... :sneaky2:

We really did get strong winds in the end, lots of trees down, power cuts, roads blocked, no trains. And sadly several people were killed :sad:

Yeah I saw the news about the storm...:no: It reach Finland too, but not nearly that bad (and I was asleep the whole time so...).

But now it's time to get ready for the winter, I'm already knitting some new scarfs and hats. Because even though it's still kind of warm (well in Finland's scale, so something above zero degrees celsius :aah:)winter may come any time now so better get ready in time:naughty:

• 3 weeks later...

Arizona Update: *in a news reporter voice* The sun still burns you after 15 minutes out side. After 20 minutes it starts throwing fire balls at you. After 30. . . well, no one's ever stayed out there that long. But it's gotta be bad. I mean, I'm pretty sure no one's heard back from Tommy after he got locked out of the house that one time.