What are you expecting from MIKA's second album?

Although I've been excited for the new album for a long time recently I started thinking about what it will be like. I've never really thought about it before, in the back of my mind I thought it will be a shadow of LICM maybe, a crowd pleaser and toned down a little.

I can already see a shadow of LICM forming.

I love How Much Do You Love Me. It's catchy and full of potential- you could do so much with it.

As for Rain: it's constructed of meaningful words and showers of pretty notes but for some reason it just doesn't feel right to me.

But anyway looking at that I realize that’s not what I WANT.

I hope Mika has a trump card down his sleeve- do you think it's possible he's written another Grace Kelly- I use "Grace Kelly" as a phrase: perhaps he has a brilliant song in the works. I want Mika to be king of the charts again and not mr. one-hit-wonder.

Anyway, opinions?

Edited by racinghorse83

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer if he didn't have Rain... It's too high pitched and irritating...

It's like Gave It All Away... if he uses that song I will slap him...

I could live with How Much Do You Love Me... I tolerate it...

I could def live with Holy Johnny, though I doubt that it will be on there cause it's been performed for about 18 months...

I expect it to be brilliant. I won't settle for anything less because a) he can do it and b) he surely took/is taking his time.. so it better be brilliant. :sneaky2:

I don't see Holy Johnny and HMDYLM on it yet, that is I don't see them on the album the way they were performed at the gigs (loved them there, though!). I'm aware that talking about live performances and albums is probably comparing apples and oranges, so if those songs will make it on the album, I'm sure this will happen only after Mighty Mika has turned them into real album material. :thumb_yello:

I totally want Rain.

I also expect an album which, like LICM, never makes me want to skip a song. Even my least favourite song on the current album, Big Girl, usually doesn't make me hit the forward button.

I'm a bit concerned that it might turn out a tad too experimental. I mean I can see how Raffa's story goes together with 'Any Other World', and doing this once was a brilliant idea. The introduction added something tangible to the song, but at the same time tied it to that particular fate of a particular person and left less room for own interpretations.

I'd like Mika to rough this kind of stlyistic device, rather than decorating every single song on the new album with narrated stories about how his Lollipop girls prepare for a performance or similar. The idea would wear out so soon and furthermore it would disrupt the flow of a pop album beyond repair.

But well, I'm sure this concern is arbitrary as I'm convinced that he knows his onions and will deliver something magnificent. :cheerful_h4h:

Hopefully soon. :sneaky2:

I expect it to be brilliant. I won't settle for anything less because a) he can do it and b) he surely took/is taking his time.. so it better be brilliant. :sneaky2:

I don't see Holy Johnny and HMDYLM on it yet, that is I don't see them on the album the way they were performed at the gigs (loved them there, though!). I'm aware that talking about live performances and albums is probably comparing apples and oranges, so if those songs will make it on the album, I'm sure this will happen only after Mighty Mika has turned them into real album material. :thumb_yello:

I totally want Rain.

I also expect an album which, like LICM, never makes me want to skip a song. Even my least favourite song on the current album, Big Girl, usually doesn't make me hit the forward button.

I'm a bit concerned that it might turn out a tad too experimental. I mean I can see how Raffa's story goes together with 'Any Other World', and doing this once was a brilliant idea. The introduction added something tangible to the song, but at the same time tied it to that particular fate of a particular person and left less room for own interpretations.

I'd like Mika to rough this kind of stlyistic device, rather than decorating every single song on the new album with narrated stories about how his Lollipop girls prepare for a performance or similar. The idea would wear out so soon and furthermore it would disrupt the flow of a pop album beyond repair.

But well, I'm sure this concern is arbitrary as I'm convinced that he knows his onions and will deliver something magnificent. :cheerful_h4h:

Hopefully soon. :sneaky2:

I have high excpectations for this album either. we all know what he can do, both as a composer and as a singer, so I trust he'll come up with another great "record". I mean, just the extra songs he wrote, aside LICM, would fill up an album more than goody. :thumb_yello:

I don't think he's taking his time, no. he's been touring all year, non stop. he's been recording since the summer. many artists take so long to come up with new records and often they take sabbatical years too (their right, anyway). so I don't think he's being slow.

i hope HMDYLM is in the album and I think it'll be, same goes for rain, whose live version was probably not the definitive one, but which I love already.

holy johnny is very cute: not sure it'll be in the album, but it's my personal pov. :bleh:

i agree about the "weaker" tracks, being BG also my least fave, together with erase and ring ring. I am simply not able to listen to smt I like so and so, but I still manage to listen to LICM fully, without having to press the foward button, like violet rightly said. :wink2:

I'm very curious also about the new artwork and along which lines he'll move this time. at first i though he may move around the same circle of themes, but after the whole blackall project thing, I'm not so sure anymore and I'm getting more curious to see the visual part of the next album.

This is so funny; we all are fans of Mika, Fantastics or even SuperFantastics, and still we have so different views and different favourites in his songs!

Big Girl, I don’t care much about the lyrics but the music, especially the drums is what makes it for me. A whole other story is how Mika’s attitude against women comes through…but that was not the subject here…sorry.:naughty:

Ring, Ring and Erase are on my favourites list.:wub2:

Same thing with HMDYLM, I love the high pitched tone, the…oh well lack word words again:blush-anim-cl: the Swedish word is “drillande ton.” I don’t understand much of the lyrics, but that’s okay.

Holy Johnny, I have never liked it and never will.:thumbdown:

The first time I heard it was in Stockholm April 07, and that time it was absolutely impossible to hear as much as one letter of the lyrics because of the sound of the drums, but it really didn’t gave me anything even when I got the lyrics.

Rain…nice on stage…I think it’s hope for it on an album, but with some changes please.:wink2:

What I would so much hope for in the next album is a really romantic love song! When he’s been singing about love so far it has always been with some unhappy stroke about it, I would wish for a love song about the feeling when you’re happy, dancing and singing in love!:wub2:

I don't think he's taking his time, no. he's been touring all year, non stop. he's been recording since the summer. many artists take so long to come up with new records and often they take sabbatical years too (their right, anyway). so I don't think he's being slow.

You're right, of course. In the big picture of pop stars making albums he may be quite speedy. It's just difficult for me to put these things into perspective when it comes to Mika, because he's so brilliant and special and gah...:blush-anim-cl: to me, that I crave so much something new (as in an album) or something 'old' as in 'familiar', such as a gig, or even just anything at all, as in a new blog entry.

It's his own fault, as he was taking promo for his first album so seriously. And then all that touring...:wub2: ... left me moulded and rotten for the rest of my life ... and demanding :naughty:

This is so funny; we all are fans of Mika, Fantastics or even SuperFantastics, and still we have so different views and different favourites in his songs!

Ring, Ring and Erase are on my favourites list.

I love Ring Ring, I still don't have the heart to change my mobile ringtone to something else :roftl: I also quite like Erase. I wouldn't mind him skipping My Interpretation in favour of that one every now and then.

What I would so much hope for in the next album is a really romantic love song! When he’s been singing about love so far it has always been with some unhappy stroke about it, I would wish for a love song about the feeling when you’re happy, dancing and singing in love!:wub2:

What about Love Today? phil_34.gif

Oh yes a romantic love song! Even Boyzone style, I wouldn't mind...

I'm expecting he will do the unexpected. I'm not sure if he will use HMDYLM and Rain and Holy Johnny. I think he just played them to see the response of the crowd. I know he can do way better than these. They all are good, but we want it to be f**king fantastic, we don't settle with good and he knows that. I think as you said these songs resemble LICM too much, I think HMDYLM and Rain are too repetative (is that a word?) I mean that they repeat lines too much and I just know, I feel he's gonna surprise us all. And if not I will throw marshmellows at him:roftl:

Geez,I wanted to start a thread exactly same to this one!:roftl:

At some point I agree with Ingie. The fact that he had performed some 'new tracks' on the past gigs,like "Rain", "Holy Johnny", "HMDYLM" ; it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be on the new album as well. Personally,I don't like HMDYLM and Holy Johnny that much...they're a bit average songs if you ask me,and I think he can do it a lot better..only Rain is a really nice song,but of course this version we heard on gigs certainly is not a final version. It may not sound very nice now,but who knows how will it sound when he works it out in the studio? It could sound a lot different than now. After all,I guess you all know how GK,LT and a few other hit songs of his have sounded as demos :naughty:

So,I also think he will do something unexpected. This second album will either be muuuuch better than LiCM,or a complete fiasko.

Personally I wouldn't like for it to be a reflection of LiCM,because I got a bit bored of these 10,11 songs I constantly listen and he constantly plays :naughty: so I would really like something new,something fresh,something different,you know? I don't say that he should change his style completely,but some changes would be welcome,thank you very much.:bleh:

I think it'll be good and will have moved on a bit from LICM. I think he actually said in Paris that Rain was "from the second album", and anyway, I liked it, so I hope it;ll be on. I like the acoustic version, but would like to hear it with full backing.

I fear a move to a more "elctronic" sound (I use the term very loosely). Like HMDYLM has, like the closing "Relax" at PDP. Mabe like "just can't get enough"- do you get what I mean? I must admit, it's not a sound I go for. I also really hope he doesn't let those two women try to rap- they hurt my ears and are inane (and I speak as someone who was well into hip=hop before I discovered Mika)

More positively, I think the songs might be a little more personal- he's loosening up a bit with the blogs, he's older.. and I'd really like to see it.

I love Holy Johnny- perhaps a bonus track? (Hopefully in the UK or at least on iTunes) And it shows he's still writing funny songs, so hopefully we'll see some of them too.

And hopefully plenty of piano-acoustic versions.

I agree with most of what's been said about Rain and HMDYLM. They are good in a way, but my concern is that people (not us on the MFC, but more critical people) would just say, "can't Mika do anything but these high pitched songs?"

The thing is, we (on here) know there is a lot more to Mika.

I know that Rain isn't going to be a single, because on the promo for the DVD, it says, "new track", not "new single"

one thing that makes me thing that Rain, HMDYLM, and HJ, MAY NOT be on the album is that he's taken so much time over it, spending ages demoing, now recording. But if Rain IS on the album, like a previous poster basically said, it needs more work. I actually think it needs another verse, and maybe a bridge as well. Just something to stop the repitition of it and maybe, the bridge could be set lower than the chorus, so Mika isn't singing high all of the time.

But that's only my opinion, and I'm no songwriter.

But if the new album has 12 totally new songs, I won't be at all surprised.

Mika said that LICM was about the transition from child to adult. Well he's an adult now, so I think and hope the album will be more mature than LICM. Still pop but not the same amount of sugar that LICM. He said it's going to be angrier, that's a good thing. LICM was powerpop, now I hope he's gonna do POWERPOP with capitals, going to the bottom of his abilities and making it the best he can.

As Keti said, with this album, there are 2 possibilities:

1. It will be even bigger than LICM.

2. It will be a total disaster.

so is 8 or 80? no middle term? :blink:

All artists have albums that are great and others not so much, but they're never totally bad and hated by all fans, sincerely I'm not care care for what the media talk about Mika, even if they think it's a crap I'll buy!

There are so many good artists that aren't recognized by the media, it's not because Mika isn't on the charts that mean he's bad, or doesn't success. Success is a relative thing.

All artists have albums that are great and others not so much, but they're never totally bad and hated by all fans, sincerely I'm not care care for what the media talk about Mika, even if they think it's a crap I'll buy!

There are so many good artists that aren't recognized by the media, it's not because Mika isn't on the charts that mean he's bad, or doesn't success. Success is a relative thing.

Agreed. But still, how fantastic an album might be, it is not a guarantee for success

Agreed. But still, how fantastic an album might be, it is not a guarantee for success

and this fit for all artists, I hope that Mika will find that what he think that is the "success", a lot of artist already feel a success simply to earn life doing music, don't have to win liters of money, selling albums such as water or be permanently in top ten.

I agree with you on that.:thumb_yello:

There is nothing to agree about, it's a fact:roftl:

I was sarcastic :naughty:

Edited by keti

and this fit for all artists, I hope that Mika will find that what he think that is the "success", a lot of artist already feel a success simply to earn life doing music, don't have to win liters of money, selling albums such as water or be permanently in top ten.

I didn't say it was only for Mika:naughty:

But, even if the second album will be amazing, I'm positive everyone on the MFC will buy it. But when nobody else does, the record company might not want to go on with Mika anymore. Ofcourse this is a worst case scenario, and I am positive it will be amazing. But still chances are there

Although I've been excited for the new album for a long time recently I started thinking about what it will be like. I've never really thought about it before, in the back of my mind I thought it will be a shadow of LICM maybe, a crowd pleaser and toned down a little.

I can already see a shadow of LICM forming – (I know at least one of these songs won't be on the album) but to give an idea:

Grace Kelly

Lollipop

My Interpretation – How Much Do You Love Me

Love Today

Relax

Any Other World

Billy Brown – Holy Johnny

Big Girls

Stuck In The Middle

Happy Ending – Rain

Anyway, opinions?

I wouldn't compare HMDYLM to My interpretation..

I'd prefer if he didn't have Rain... It's too high pitched and irritating...

It's like Gave It All Away... if he uses that song I will slap him...

I could live with How Much Do You Love Me... I tolerate it...

I could def live with Holy Johnny, though I doubt that it will be on there cause it's been performed for about 18 months...

Yucky. Not I gave it all away..then I will slap him too!:naughty:

I love Rain, but the chorus irritates me a bit. I hope he will change it a bit.

I looooove How Much do you love me, can't wait to hear the studioversion.

I like HJ, but I can't imagine what the albumversion would be like..and I don't think I would like it as much as the live version..

Mika said that LICM was about the transition from child to adult. Well he's an adult now, so I think and hope the album will be more mature than LICM. Still pop but not the same amount of sugar that LICM. He said it's going to be angrier, that's a good thing. LICM was powerpop, now I hope he's gonna do POWERPOP with capitals, going to the bottom of his abilities and making it the best he can.

Oh God. First one please!:roftl:

Or it could be good but appeal to completely different people (like Amy Winehouse's 2nd album).

Or it could be a bit better but not much.

Or it could be cheesier and more commercial in an "I've run out of ideas sort of way.

... I certainly don't agree that there's only 2 options.