TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

It's a little worrying isn't it?:wink2:

But he said, "it's all about the words"

Do you mean the words can be drowned out by the (over)fancy music?

I think the music could be too pretty and sugary (lots of strings, flutes etc). But maybe the music will get darker as the song goes on.

I think the music could be too pretty and sugary (lots of strings, flutes etc). But maybe the music will get darker as the song goes on.

I have big expectations for this song, I think it can be as big as Grace Kelly!:wub2:

But on the other hand I don't know squat about the music industry, maybe I’m mislead with my own love for it to think it’s so good!:wink2:

I have big expectations for this song, I think it can be as big as Grace Kelly!:wub2:

But on the other hand I don't know squat about the music industry, maybe I’m mislead with my own love for it to think it’s so good!:wink2:

Of the new songs we have heard so far, this is the only one that has gone straight to my brain - but I don't think it would ever be released as a single.

:shocked:

I have never heard a boy sing Queen of the Night... Sounds a bit absurd to me... Or perhaps I'm a bit conservative in that respect..:cool:

Of the new songs we have heard so far, this is the only one that has gone straight to my brain - but I don't think it would ever be released as a single.

If not released as a single, it will be a coward act.:cool:

:shocked::roftl::roftl:

And if there's an image coming to my head when i sing the...

"Maybe you'd be better with a barbie girl" lyrics, it's this...

barbie_soup.jpg

Oh my Lord ! God knows I am not into bestiality but I must get that cat's mobile number :wub2: ! She/he is as hairy as Sire :roftl: and much, much cuter :wub2: !

Cheers,

Id3

Oh my Lord ! God knows I am not into bestiality but I must get that cat's mobile number :wub2: ! She/he is as hairy as Sire :roftl: and much, much cuter :wub2: !

Cheers,

Id3

How come the cat's pic wasn't quoted in my previous post :shocked: ?

The black and white gorgeous one :shocked: ...

Cheers,

Id3

If not released as a single, it will be a coward act.:cool:

Record companies aren't known for being brave. But if the song gets downloaded a lot when the album comes out, they might take a chance.

Record companies aren't known for being brave. But if the song gets downloaded a lot when the album comes out, they might take a chance.

Mika will have a say in that, too, I think. I mean, he should FIGHT for it. :cool:

Mika will have a say in that, too, I think. I mean, he should FIGHT for it. :cool:

He should!

And he should say like he's saying about BB on stage:

"And look where we are now!!!!!":thumb_yello:

:roftl:

mika will have a say in that, too, i think. I mean, he should fight for it. :cool:

he should!

And he should say like he's saying about bb on stage:

"and look where we are now!!!!!":thumb_yello:

I am ready start a new petition thread... We are soo good at it:cool:

Even though I want GGG as a single, because it's sure to be a hit, I am loving Toy Boy more and more. His voice when he sings it is so gorgeous. I know his falsetto is gorgeous too, but his lower voice makes my heart melt! I think that even though GGG has the makings of a great number one single, Toy Boy is going to be one of the greatest songs in music history and will be played forever. It is THAT GOOD! It has everything, humour, pathos, great story. I'm only just realising that what Mika has written is possibly the greatest song of all time!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Toy Boy is going to be one of the greatest songs in music history and will be played forever. It is THAT GOOD! It has everything, humour, pathos, great story. I'm only just realising that what Mika has written is possibly the greatest song of all time!

Hallelujah

:bow:

Even though I want GGG as a single, because it's sure to be a hit, I am loving Toy Boy more and more. His voice when he sings it is so gorgeous. I know his falsetto is gorgeous too, but his lower voice makes my heart melt! I think that even though GGG has the makings of a great number one single, Toy Boy is going to be one of the greatest songs in music history and will be played forever. It is THAT GOOD! It has everything, humour, pathos, great story. I'm only just realising that what Mika has written is possibly the greatest song of all time!

Yes!

I'm so happy you're feeling it too!:thumb_yello::wub2:

Yes!

I'm so happy you're feeling it too!:thumb_yello::wub2:

Yes, I loved it when I first heard it, but was thinkin more about GGG, the obvious hit. But then I didn't hear the songs for a few days because the vids disappeared, and suddenly it was Toy Boy I was wanting to hear again! when I did hear it again (thanks to those peeps who put the vids up again) I just realised, that song has everything, and Mika acts it out so well and means every word and every note he sings. I also heard him say (and I hadn't heard that at first) that the song meant a lot to him. He's put his heart and soul into it, and you can really tell he has. It's the perfect match of song and singer. Amazing!

yep! "toy boy" is the new "Bohemian rhapsody":mf_rosetinted:

yep! "toy boy" is the new "Bohemian rhapsody":mf_rosetinted:

Depending on what you mean I can act like this:

Or say that I also have similar thoughts on my mind, let me tell yu why...

About 20 years ago or so I created my ’Best Songs Ever’ list and although there have been several changes in the top 10, the No1 has never changed (Bo Rhap, of course).

Over this weekend, however, I started to wonder for the first time if TB is ever going to replace it on MY list...

I personally think that it is almost impossible to ever write anything better that Bohemian Rhapsody as it is such a musical extravaganza : different genres, changing tempos, beautiful harmonies, sweet melodies and the first&best crescendo ever in a pop-song... Built to perfection..

However, whilst anyone with a good ear for music realises that Bo Rhap is a masterpiece, for Toy Boy, you probably have to understand English and feel it with your heart to appreciate it as much as the song mentioned before.

Actually, in my mind now these two songs now share No1 position. For me, Toy Boy is a song where music and lyrics are perfected to a level where you start feeling the music with pictures in your head and each time a different one, a new interpretation .. It never happened to me before. (:blush-anim-cl: )

So, my overall opinion is that to the ’general public’, TB will never become as big as BoRhap but Mika is still young and has many more years to write his own Bo Rhap (mind you, Freddie was 28 when he wrote his masterpiece)

I am ready start a new petition thread... We are soo good at it:cool:

hear hear!

yess! :dance_man:

Yes, I loved it when I first heard it, but was thinkin more about GGG, the obvious hit. But then I didn't hear the songs for a few days because the vids disappeared, and suddenly it was Toy Boy I was wanting to hear again! when I did hear it again (thanks to those peeps who put the vids up again) I just realised, that song has everything, and Mika acts it out so well and means every word and every note he sings. I also heard him say (and I hadn't heard that at first) that the song meant a lot to him. He's put his heart and soul into it, and you can really tell he has. It's the perfect match of song and singer. Amazing!

He also muttered something after that. It sounded like "I like this song a lot, but I'm not sure - " and then he waas interrupted by a band member and did not finish his sentence. I wonder if he will, next time...

I absolutely adore this song, and the melody is an instant hit, but the words are very much more problematical for the general public to accept. Billy Brown also remained as a 'live' favourite only. It will take a very brave record company to release it as a single. Maybe they'd release it as something like the third or fourth single if the album is another massive hit. Here's hoping!

Oh my Lord ! God knows I am not into bestiality but I must get that cat's mobile number :wub2: ! She/he is as hairy as Sire :roftl: and much, much cuter !

Cheers,

Id3

This cat is VIP, you can't have its phone number...:blink:

How come the cat's pic wasn't quoted in my previous post ?

The black and white gorgeous one :shocked: ...

Cheers,

Id3

This cat wasn't quoted in your previous number because it is MY avatar, and you cannot quote one! Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

OK, got it, answered the wrong post :rolleyes:. But I do want the black and white cat mobile number, please :huglove: !

Cheers,

Id3

There must be some solution in modern medicine for you, i'm sure!:mf_rosetinted:

So I'm kinda coming in late to this discussion, but I figured I'd babble on anyhow. :roftl:

First, some observations:

1) The lyrics and melody to this are genius.

2) The media are likley going to have a field day with this one. Another Mika album, another song with gay overtones.

3) Mika knows this. He's putting this out there to playfully f*ck with everyone, I think. Just look at his expressions when singing it.

4) I can't imagine it'll ever be a single. I don't want it to ever be a single.

Sure, the music journalists will analyze it to death, but I just don't think the unwashed masses will "get" it.

5) I hope the studio version doesn't sound overproduced. Greg is usually really good about that, but this song seems to be one where the rawness aspect of just Mika on keys adds to its shine. We'll see.

6) I love, love, love when he goes into the lower part of his range. I'm still a card-carrying fan of his falsetto, for sure, but those lower notes are just so pure and creamy and rich that it makes me feel like my ears are drinking a cool, delicious milkshake. Made with the finest Belgian chocolate.

Oh - and did anyone else notice that whatever instrument making the music-boxy pinging sounds makes a "ping" right on the word "didn't" in "didn't want you sleeping"...? And Mika moves his eyes all the way up, right on beat. It's a cool visual effect, like the act of opening his eyes wide caused the "ping" sound. It's at 1:26 in Sivan's vid:

Anyhow, onto my english-class-esque lyrical overanalyzation. I could be totally, 100% waaaay off: this is just, as they say, My Interpretation. :wink2:

*takes a deep breath...*

------------------------------------------

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold in a smaller size

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry

This verse is painting the Toy Boy's character: that he's a wind up toy, so that's the visual there. "I've a heart of gold" seeks to paint the Toy Boy as being a positive character, rather than a negative character, in order to invoke sympathy for him. And as soon as you're told he's got a heart of gold, Toy Boy furthers this by making the sympathy-drawing comment about being left in the dark.

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything

This verse brings the Toy Boy to life. More than an illustration - and more than a toy - he's three dimensional and capable of interaction and communication. And in tandem with that, he's still wonderful to have and to play with.

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

If you come a little close, I'm going to pull your hair

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you

This is talking about who Toy Boy is, his character. He's saying that it's an unfortunate aspect of his personality, that if someone gets too close he'll "pull your hair" - a metaphor for being needy, getting attached, and thus hurting their love object. Then "hold me in your arms, I'm just a boy like you" serves to again reaffirm Toy Boy as an insecure, lonely soul whose heart is in the right place.

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl

This is pretty straightforward - his love object's mother didn't approve of her son's relationship with another male. "It's a serious thing in a grownup world" implies that Toy Boy is at a point in his maturity where he accepts his sexuality, and that it's a serious choice - and that he's disappointed that his love object is letting his mother interfere with his choices. That's where the line about a Barbie girl comes in - Toy Boy is saying, fine, if you're not at a point where you can make your own choices, you might as well go find some blond, substance-less bimbo who will please your mother just because she's a female.

You knew that I adored ya

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?

Unless "you left me in Georgia" is some kind of idiom I'm not familiar with, I think that line is filler. The point of those first two lines is just to convey that the love object decides to leave Toy Boy. The second last line is Toy Boy trying to convince himself that he shouldn't feel deeply toward his former love object, since he's just a toy. "How could I be for rental" serves to reaffirm that Toy Boy felt discarded.

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match

This is the part that I've not figured out. Who is the "she" in this verse? By use of the term "hag" Mika is painting a picture of a woman at least a generation older than Toy Boy and his love object. I'm thinking maybe "she" is about the love object's mother. But that doesn't make sense in light of the next verse, unless Toy Boy ended up having some twisted relationship with his ex's mother. Or maybe after being discarded, Toy Boy gets into a relationship with a girl who hurts him. And the use of the word "hag" is meant to be more of a general derogatory term than one used to indicate the age of said woman. Either way, this woman hurt him in untold ways - "pulled out my insides with an old safety pin" means Toy Boy was hurt by her very, very deeply.

So she dressed me up as the man she loved

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

The "she" in question spent some time putting Toy Boy into a mould, making him out to be her love object. But then she got bored when the novelty wore off, and tossed him aside. By "she stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be", Toy Boy is saying that she brainwashed him into thinking what she wanted him to think, thus preventing him from having his own clear thoughts. Hence why he can no longer see "the light of day".

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

Had a boy once who loved me

Now he's so afraid of me

Toy Boy continues to refer to the immense emotional fallout suffered at the hands of this "hag". "Black magic" again refers to the same thing as the "voodoo pins" line from the verse before - about how she brainwashed him before he even knew what was happening. Now he's been so scarred and burned by the experience with the "hag" that he's a black and blue, battered version of his former self. And the boy who once loved him - the love object from a few verses back - can't deal with the fact that Toy Boy is even more fragile than ever, so he avoids him.

On a long lost day when you're grey and old

Will you be there remembering your old toy boy?

When your only son's wondering what to be

Tell him the story of a boy like me

Toy Boy is looking back on his relationship with the love object from the first part of the song, and wonders if he'll ever remember him in the future. And maybe if he'll regret his choice to leave Toy Boy. The love object went on to have a son of his own, and Toy Boy is thinking of that son. He's suggesting that when the love object's son is faced with a question of identity (of any sort, not just sexually), that maybe the love object should keep Toy Boy in mind - as an example about how someone forced to make the wrong choices on the path to true "self" can become very scarred from the fallout.