TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

Mamma Mia is a silly story created in order to enable to fit in as many ABBA songs as possible and make people run to buy the backcatalogue of ABBA.:thumbdown:

The same applies to We Will Rock You.. Except that that one is not even funny

Mika can surely do better... Ideally, you write a story and songs rise from the story. It usually does not work the other way round..(though I can personally connect Toy Boy and Billy Brown in chronological order...:naughty:)

Yes, I totally agree with you, Suzie. As much as I love Abba songs, the musical was such a disappointment to me, for that reason. I was actually gobsmacked, even though I had fantastic 2nd row seats, I just couldn't get the hype AT ALL.

It ended being a memorable performance otherwise though when the guy behind us had a heart attack during the performance and my hubby (who is a doctor in training, and luckily had just finished a placement in an A&E department) jumped over the seat and started doing cpr on him :shocked:.

Of course soon the whole theatre was chaos and they stopped the performance, and a few "real" doctors came, then an ambulance, and the man luckily survived. But at one point he had no pulse and was not breathing so he had a very lucky escape :thumb_yello:.

Anyway that was my random bit of info for the day :naughty:.

But then all the rag dolls posted are too well dressed..

"Clothes are made of rags and they don't even match!

Hey, as long as they are not wearing one of those hideous curtaintype Matthew Williamson creations!! I don't know what the heck he was thinking there :blink:.

He is good at sad sorrowful or dark lyrics with light touches and jolly music.

He definitely is!

It ended being a memorable performance otherwise though when the guy behind us had a heart attack during the performance and my hubby (who is a doctor in training, and luckily had just finished a placement in an A&E department) jumped over the seat and started doing cpr on him :shocked:.

:shocked:

I like these random thoughts... It must have been a day to remember for both of you but especially for your husband. Such a great profession to pursue - saving people's lives even off duty... I wish a had a job like that.

Back to Mamma Mia, I only saw the film on a plane to Miami. I didn't have much choice but I have tell you I would have watched anything with Colin Firth:wub2:

back to Toy Boy....

Can someone find a picture of a wooden Toy Boy - a bit like Woody but a bit more.. feminine (:naughty:) ..

In my head, Toy Boy is the mixture of Woody and Pinocchio :biggrin2:

Yes, I totally agree with you, Suzie. As much as I love Abba songs, the musical was such a disappointment to me, for that reason. I was actually gobsmacked, even though I had fantastic 2nd row seats, I just couldn't get the hype AT ALL.

Good!I'm not the only one! My sister loved it because she thought they did a really good job at making a storyline out of the songs but it felt so"flat" and artificial, and not because it's musical.

But wow,what a story! :bleh: Where did you see it btw?

Mamma Mia is a silly story created in order to enable to fit in as many ABBA songs as possible and make people run to buy the backcatalogue of ABBA.:thumbdown:

The same applies to We Will Rock You.. Except that that one is not even funny:cool:

:offtopic: I agree about Mamma Mia - couldn't get what was supposed to be so good, but quite enjoyed the music and a fabulous wedding venue, but I adore WWRY. I get to go every year with a school trip to London and saw it 2 weeks ago in Manchester. Maybe it helps that I'm not a Queen fan, so I'm quite happy for them to use the music for a story. Whatever.....

Of course soon the whole theatre was chaos and they stopped the performance, and a few "real" doctors came, then an ambulance, and the man luckily survived. But at one point he had no pulse and was not breathing so he had a very lucky escape :thumb_yello:.

:offtopic: Wow, how exciting. That sort of stuff never happens around me.

ON TOPIC

What does the grey and old person's son want????

want to BE?????

Edited by Ruth

No I am right there with you. After the gig I kept thinking Mika needs to make a musical dammit! I really think he could do something legendary. Even more important and long lasting than his pop music.

I totally agree with this, as well. I think, and I've thought from the start,

that there's so much more to Mika than 3-minute pop songs -- it may

take some time and evolution, but I can certainly envision his career

going down other paths eventually. As you said, Christine, "something

legendary." :wub2:

I like these random thoughts... It must have been a day to remember for both of you but especially for your husband. Such a great profession to pursue - saving people's lives even off duty... I wish a had a job like that.

Well, I think that this was one occasion where it sort of hit me, you know, the obviousness of it. Is that a word? I don't think so :naughty:.

My job hsa nothing to do with that either :thumbdown:. I work with supporting IT systems for investment banks, so obviously the people involved think that it's all very important stuff, but really, it can't be compared at all to helping people :wink2:.

Good!I'm not the only one! My sister loved it because she thought they did a really good job at making a storyline out of the songs but it felt so"flat" and artificial, and not because it's musical.

But wow,what a story! :bleh: Where did you see it btw?

Yes, I also found it flat and artificial. I saw it at a London theater, the Prince of Wales theatre, a few months ago, sometime this winter.

Wow, how exciting. That sort of stuff never happens around me.

Nor around me either, really :naughty:.

legendary."

Yes, totally. I just wish that he would realise that too!! He seems so focused on the pop thing, and on these massive cirussey performances, when I think that his talent would be best showcast in so many other ways.

Give me a "simpler" show where we see more of his actual abilities any day before a mega PDP style "pop circus".

And I'm not using the word circus because that was his theme. It's just what I think of these mega productions, where the actual music takes a back seat and doesn't matter. A la Madonna for example.

Ok, I'm not saying that Mika is like Madonna, but that if he doesn't take care he may end up that way, if he starts focusing so much on the whole show thing and loses perspective of the real music. I guess that this is why PDP sort of bothered me. I would really feel so sad if that was the future in his mind. He's just too damn good :wub2:.

Well, I think that this was one occasion where it sort of hit me, you know, the obviousness of it. Is that a word? I don't think so :naughty:.

My job hsa nothing to do with that either :thumbdown:. I work with supporting IT systems for investment banks, so obviously the people involved think that it's all very important stuff, but really, it can't be compared at all to helping people :wink2:.

[/color]

Yes, I also found it flat and artificial. I saw it at a London theater, the Prince of Wales theatre, a few months ago, sometime this winter.

Nor around me either, really :naughty:.

Yes, totally. I just wish that he would realise that too!! He seems so focused on the pop thing, and on these massive cirussey performances, when I think that his talent would be best showcast in so many other ways.

Give me a "simpler" show where we see more of his actual abilities any day before a mega PDP style "pop circus".

And I'm not using the word circus because that was his theme. It's just what I think of these mega productions, where the actual music takes a back seat and doesn't matter. A la Madonna for example.

Ok, I'm not saying that Mika is like Madonna, but that if he doesn't take care he may end up that way, if he starts focusing so much on the whole show thing and loses perspective of the real music. I guess that this is why PDP sort of bothered me. I would really feel so sad if that was the future in his mind. He's just too damn good :wub2:.

i felt the need to quote you, even if i sort of liked the pdp circus.:blink:

i can see the risks you are mentioning

i read only the first page and i am not sure if some body say that or not

i agree its gay childe story ... and mika wrote it very will :thumb_yello:

but i am not agree that its mika's story :no: i think its one of mika's friends becouse if you read the last sentance in the song

the toy boy said : "When your *something* Tell them the story of a boy like me"

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

legendary." :wub2:

I'm afraid I'm not with you all on this one- my heart just sinkjs at the thought

I'm afraid I'm not with you all on this one- my heart just sinkjs at the thought

Do you really think he can make novel and interesting 3-minute pop songs for the next 20 years? I'm not questioning Mika's talent but I suppose my own attention span just doesn't last that long and no matter how much I love an artist I start getting bored after 3 albums or so when they inevitably begin to repeat themselves.

This is the main reason I'm going to such extraordinary lengths to drink up every Mika experience I possibly can now, while he's young and fresh. I wanted to see Michael Jackson in 1979 and 1983 when he was at his creative height, not now when he's just trying desperately to raise some cash.

Mika can take the Madonna route and completely reinvent himself every few years but I think that is going to put off a lot of fans anyway. I mean they're already having an attack of the vapours at that the thought of him working with Lady Gaga and I'm amazed to hear people saying that they don't like these new songs that aren't exactly a wild departure from LICM.

I'd rather see him move in a direction that he's trained for and that seems to interest him. Instead of doing all of this pretend theatre on stage with costumes, sets and characters embedded in the songs, why not go the whole way and turn it into a complete musical.

And I am not talking about trying to exploit his songs by repackaging them in any old way to make a musical like Mamma Mia or that godawful We Will Rock You. I'm talking about an original work like Hair or Rocky Horror that will be 10 times better than most of the schlock that has passed for musical theatre in the past 20 years.

Ok, I'm not saying that Mika is like Madonna, but that if he doesn't take care he may end up that way, if he starts focusing so much on the whole show thing and loses perspective of the real music. I guess that this is why PDP sort of bothered me. I would really feel so sad if that was the future in his mind.

i felt the need to quote you, even if i sort of liked the pdp circus.:blink:

i can see the risks you are mentioning

I quoted both of you because I understand you both..

I think by now he has hopefully realised that his fans are in it for the music.. So no need for unnecessary costumes on him:cool:

However, for stadiums, a kind of circus is needed and I do not think he is running the risk of becoming 'Madonna', since her shows consist of well-choreographed show elements and dance routines with her lip-synching. Her shows are not about music at all.. They must feel like having a hamburger in a fancy restaurant and paying 100 EUR for it.:thumbdown:

I am not worried Mika is turning into such an act at all...

In fact, I am beginning to realise he wanted to release all these songs including Toy Boy soon after LICM to 'offset' the bubbly image he created with his first album. Actually, I am glad he did not do it right afterwards... firstly, his youngest fans have grown older a bit, and secondly it will sink in easier for the media, too. Better to release it before the new album to change expectations.

Do you really think he can make novel and interesting 3-minute pop songs for the next 20 years? I'm not questioning Mika's talent but I suppose my own attention span just doesn't last that long and no matter how much I love an artist I start getting bored after 3 albums or so when they inevitably begin to repeat themselves.

This is the main reason I'm going to such extraordinary lengths to drink up every Mika experience I possibly can now, while he's young and fresh. I wanted to see Michael Jackson in 1979 and 1983 when he was at his creative height, not now when he's just trying desperately to raise some cash.

Mika can take the Madonna route and completely reinvent himself every few years but I think that is going to put off a lot of fans anyway. I mean they're already having an attack of the vapours at that the thought of him working with Lady Gaga and I'm amazed to hear people saying that they don't like these new songs that aren't exactly a wild departure from LICM.

I'd rather see him move in a direction that he's trained for and that seems to interest him. Instead of doing all of this pretend theatre on stage with costumes, sets and characters embedded in the songs, why not go the whole way and turn it into a complete musical.

And I am not talking about trying to exploit his songs by repackaging them in any old way to make a musical like Mamma Mia or that godawful We Will Rock You. I'm talking about an original work like Hair or Rocky Horror that will be 10 times better than most of the schlock that has passed for musical theatre in the past 20 years.

You're very logical- and I like watching musicals- and I think he could do something very original... but my heart still sinks at the thought.

I hope he has a long career- one that keeps him touring his new stuff and not vast quantitites of old stuff- then whatever takes his fancy. If he's not short of cash, I could see him doing something weird, arty and minority interest rather than a traditional musical. They're a bit linear.

I liked Mamma Mia the movie but not the stage show. I've seen Joseph, where the music was written with the story, about 10 times.

I think by now he has hopefully realised that his fans are in it for the music.. So no need for unnecessary costumes on him:cool:

However, for stadiums, a kind of circus is needed and I do not think he is running the risk of becoming 'Madonna', since her shows consist of well-choreographed show elements and dance routines with her lip-synching. Her shows are not about music at all.. They must feel like having a hamburger in a fancy restaurant and paying 100 EUR for it.:thumbdown:

In fact, I am beginning to realise he wanted to release all these songs including Toy Boy soon after LICM to 'offset' the bubbly image he created with his first album. Actually, I am glad he did not do it right afterwards... firstly, his youngest fans have grown older a bit, and secondly it will sink in easier for the media, too. Better to release it before the new album to change expectations.

Ok, let me rephrase. It's not that I am worried right now about him going down that route, as for example the fact that he wants to do this acoustic tour would be contradictory with that notion, but I have this "general" type worry that this may be the case in the future. I got this feeling after he did PDP and then announced Wembley....My heart literally sank.

I doubt that I'd go to see him at another stadium gig, or maybe just the once, but that would be it. I'd have to give up on seeing him live if that was to be the case because I really hate those massive shows.

So yes, I don't think that he's turning into that now, but I just expressed a general concern in the sense that I hope that he never goes down that route :naughty:.

On a long lost day when you’re grey and old

Would you be there remembering your old toy boy

When your only son’s wondering what to be (or oldest son)

Tell them the story of a boy like me

What does the grey and old person's son want to be????

want to BE?????

What does the grey and old person's son want to be????

want to BE?????

As in sexual orientation maybe? Or perpaps just in a general sense, as in the type of person that he wants to be himeslf (stand up for himself and not let people dictate his life, like the other guy had to a degree) rather than follow other people's paths?

It could be a few things.

But he patently loves costumes and visual elements and sees them as an exciting avenue to explore- and I think he should go for it. I'm really surprised he's not more into doing stuff with the videos- he hasn't mentioned much input anyway, maybe that will change- and while pdp was fairly standard stadium fare, now he's got the bit between his teeth, I think he could start to really integrate music and visuals in an exciting and original way. Nothing like either the Madonna visual feast or the Bruce Springsteen "just stand there, sing and play" eithos. I quite genuinely think that could be where Mika really pulls away from the field. It'll take more than one or two simple/small venue tours to convince me othewise. I might not like what he does- you might not, but others might. All good artists develop- and lose some of their fans in the process.

Queen's sixth album broke my heart- I STILL feel guilty about not buying it- or any after it- probably a lot of people who loved 70s Queen felt the same- but the general consensus now seems to be that the 80s makeover was needed before they could truly became great.

As in sexual orientation maybe? Or perpaps just in a general sense, as in the type of person that he wants to be himeslf (stand up for himself and not let people dictate his life, like the other guy had to a degree) rather than follow other people's paths?

It could be a few things.

But one thing's for sure- if they tell him the story of toy boy he'll become confused to the point of losing the will to live! Like we have.:naughty:

I hope he has a long career- one that keeps him touring his new stuff and not vast quantitites of old stuff- then whatever takes his fancy. If he's not short of cash, I could see him doing something weird, arty and minority interest rather than a traditional musical. They're a bit linear.

I see it more as a side project, albeit a very important one that would likely take more effort than any album. Like Rufus Wainwright composing an opera.

But he patently loves costumes and visual elements and sees them as an exciting avenue to explore- and I think he should go for it. I'm really surprised he's not more into doing stuff with the videos- he hasn't mentioned much input anyway, maybe that will change- and while pdp was fairly standard stadium fare, now he's got the bit between his teeth, I think he could start to really integrate music and visuals in an exciting and original way.

I think he should go for it too but channel it into some kind of musical/operatic/whatever type effort that could survive in various forms for decades or even centuries.

Not a one-off chaotic mess like PDP that some of his fans don't even get. I mean how many people that were there could even see what was going on half the time? The arenas in Canada are 1/3 the size and trying to watch a show at one of them is worse than watching a DVD. The sound is crap and your view is compromised to the point where it's difficult to even pay attention at all times.

I see it more as a side project, albeit a very important one that would likely take more effort than any album. Like Rufus Wainwright composing an opera.

I think he should go for it too but channel it into some kind of musical/operatic/whatever type effort that could survive in various forms for decades or even centuries.

Not a one-off chaotic mess like PDP that some of his fans don't even get. I mean how many people that were there could even see what was going on half the time? The arenas in Canada are 1/3 the size and trying to watch a show at one of them is worse than watching a DVD. The sound is crap and your view is compromised to the point where it's difficult to even pay attention at all times.

Sound in stadiums is a real problem- I couldn't even hear Eminem.

I didn't say he should stick to stadiums. But I do think he will want to make gigs more visual not less. It certainly wasn't a chaotic mess though he overestimated what could be absorbed during a gig.

Has he ever said he even likes musicals?