The strange world of Mika - Observer - June 12 2009

dcdeb

No, your post itself wasn't confusing, but you could have divided it into smaller paragraphs. It was a bit hard to read like that. :biggrin2

I must say that you have good points here. I read the article yesterday, but I'm going to have to read it again today because I didn't understand all the words. :mf_rosetinted: Anyway, I wanted to say that the article left me feeling sad, I almost wanted to cry while reading it. Heck, I'm almost crying now when I think about it again. :blink

It stunned me that Mika doesn't seem like he's over all the bullying at school. To be honest, I know how it feels like. I was been bullied for nine years and I'm still not completely over it, maybe I never will. But Mika. He has accomplished so much in life and he's only 25. He has already shown everyone what he's made of. I thought he wasn't going to let the past get in his way anymore.

In a way it's only a good thing that he has suffered, because he's now able to understand different points of view. But I don't understand why he automatically thinks that that makes him a freak. He's of course different; he's so kind and talented - but that doesn't make him a freak in my opinion. Or maybe I am a freak as well because I know how it feels like to be left aside? It's so easy to put different people into pigeon holes. Especially artists because they are more visible than busdrivers and office workers. Life's a never-ending school yard. Yack! :aah

When I met Mika a week ago he seemed so genuinely happy to receive my gift. Had I done something like that for any other man - or woman - they wouldn't have understand it like Mika did. He looked at it as if thinking at the same time: "How can anyone do something like this for ME?" He was clearly in shock. He's still so humble and fragile - that's why I love his personality as well as his music. :wub2:

I assume that the last verse of Lonely Alcoholic is about Mika: "I'm a mediocre writer who sings all of the time -- I'm just craving to be heard." It's so sad if he thinks that he's mediocre and that writing songs is somehow a very selfish thing for thim to do. Yet again this shows how humble he is and never takes things as success for granted.

Oh, and I must say something about this quotation:

The EP tracks represent his more sombre and lyrical side - Toy Boy and Lady Jane, in particular, sounding as he describes them: "They're strange nursery rhymes... odd morality tales.

When I was writing the first record I made so many allusions to fairy tales and nursery rhymes," he says later that evening, "and the funny thing is that when you're 16 you read them again and realise they're the most violent thing ever. The EP allows me to explore that side. It's a bit Alan Bennett: you know, after Cinderella gets married, her husband has an affair, they get divorced, he keeps custody of the children, she loses all her money and ends up as a maid again."

My mom used to read me all sorts of scary stories when I was very little. Especially loads of stories by the Brothers Grimm. It's funny but I always knew how violent they were. It was very strange to watch the polished Disney films afterwards and see that the Little Mermaid, for instance, didn't turn into foam of the sea after all. Who's Alan Bennett? I think I have heard Mika mentioning him before, but I'm going to have to check out his work now!

When I first heard Lady Jane I thought it could have been one of Hans Christian Andersen's stories. I love it how Mika takes a bunch of these old fairytales and even comics and makes similar stories of his own. You just got to love Mika's bubble!

Yeah I know.. I just don't know how to do that properly:blush-anim-cl::aah:

Me too:boxed:

No, I feel that too... I've always been someone that is put aside by everyone else and a bit of a castout just because I have maybe different thoughts than the standard ones I should have at my age or in my country and I don't talk about things that most people of my age do or I don't like the same music as everyone else, I dunno...

There's just something that makes me feel like I don't belong anywhere. Never really do feel like I belong somewhere.

And yeah, he hasn't gone over being bullied but he's done so much and proved those people he can be someone much better than they thought he would turn out to be... And they don't even deserve that proof.

I think it's inevatable not to get in someone's way... Sometimes there are parts of us that no matter how great you are, they're always boicoting(spelling?:boxed:) Your confidence and your ambitions I guess..

And yep, he's not a freak at all. I just think he still wants to think that in way... You can just say he's unique. Not a freak!

Yep:wub2: He really appreciates all the love from the fans and when it's something that special being offered to him, he's so grateful and doesn't let popularity and sucess get in the way of his kindness...

And yeah he's always going to think that... Doesn't matter how people tell him he's amazing, I think it's just in his personality, being humble but also not trusting himself completely. But that lack of trust is good in a way!

I never really realized they were so violent when I was little, but now I do and it's quite ironic! How those stories are sometimes supposed to promote innocense and following your dreams being happy etc etc but they have a whole different code behind them and I only realized that aswell when I had the conscience to know something wasn't right and they weren't those "And they lived happily ever after" fairytales. There's always something dark and misterous in them.

I'll search for him too!

Yeah I know.. I just don't know how to do that properly:blush-anim-cl::aah

Me too:boxed:

No, I feel that too... I've always been someone that is put aside by everyone else and a bit of a castout just because I have maybe different thoughts than the standard ones I should have at my age or in my country and I don't talk about things that most people of my age do or I don't like the same music as everyone else, I dunno...

There's just something that makes me feel like I don't belong anywhere. Never really do feel like I belong somewhere.

And yeah, he hasn't gone over being bullied but he's done so much and proved those people he can be someone much better than they thought he would turn out to be... And they don't even deserve that proof.

I think it's inevatable not to get in someone's way... Sometimes there are parts of us that no matter how great you are, they're always boicoting(spelling?:boxed:) Your confidence and your ambitions I guess..

And yep, he's not a freak at all. I just think he still wants to think that in way... You can just say he's unique. Not a freak!

Yep:wub2 He really appreciates all the love from the fans and when it's something that special being offered to him, he's so grateful and doesn't let popularity and sucess get in the way of his kindness...

And yeah he's always going to think that... Doesn't matter how people tell him he's amazing, I think it's just in his personality, being humble but also not trusting himself completely. But that lack of trust is good in a way!

I never really realized they were so violent when I was little, but now I do and it's quite ironic! How those stories are sometimes supposed to promote innocense and following your dreams being happy etc etc but they have a whole different code behind them and I only realized that aswell when I had the conscience to know something wasn't right and they weren't those "And they lived happily ever after" fairytales. There's always something dark and misterous in them.

I'll search for him too!

Hi Neiobi :huglove:

I think you mean "boycotting" after Captain Charles Boycott, who was the first "victim". But I think you could have said "sabotaging" instead - ie deliberately undermining your confidence and ambitions - boycotting is more about avoiding :thumb_yello:

But it's only words :teehee:

And don't feel that you don't belong anywhere - you belong on the MFC :thumb_yello:

Hi Neiobi :huglove

I think you mean "boycotting" after Captain Charles Boycott, who was the first "victim". But I think you could have said "sabotaging" instead - ie deliberately undermining your confidence and ambitions - boycotting is more about avoiding :thumb_yello

But it's only words :teehee:

And don't feel that you don't belong anywhere - you belong on the MFC :thumb_yello:

Nectar:wub2:

Oh thanks! :blush-anim-cl: Yeah it'd be sabotaging then.

I do... But this isn't real life and in RL I don't belong anywhere:no:

Changing homes a lot and sometimes country has also been a bit of a factor to not feeling like I belong anywhere... And because I got a different education at home from anyone else that I know. When I went to Mexico, lived and studied there for a year, I came back and my best friends weren't my best friends anymore, my city wasn't what it used to be, people seemed to change to quickly and so did I... And again, I had to leave the friends I made in Mexico. So it's always a bit hard to create relationships for me aswell, having in memory that from a moment to another they can just disappear and there's no one:boxed: And nowhere that I actually enjoy being...

Sorry, I'm on whining mode:naughty: But this is also mentioned a bit in the interview. Of course I didn't go trough half of the things he went trough, but I kinda know what he means when he speaks of not belonging and always on and off..

I prefer the content of the article much more than the photoshoot... Having Mika half naked, covered in paint is just a bonus:teehee:

And I bet you were being both ironic so I must be looking like a fool:aah:Wich I can't deny I am.

If anyone's interested, I tried photoshopping the words and such out of the cover 'cause it's such a great photo...:teehee:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/3625637183_4c5b949a9c_b.jpg

EDIT: Here's the full-size picture if you want it instead. Apparently Flickr scales down big pictures...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l6xcdg

Hey, Nono, have I ever said I love you? Because, um, I do.

My wallpaper went from this:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/bluspoon/mikadesktop29copy.jpg

TO THIS:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/bluspoon/mikadesktop30copy.jpg

Very, very naice. Love you girl. :wub2:

Well I posted you one today- you, Tiibet, Fmbm, PurpleMonkey and Jose Ole. Insanely, I thought 5 spares would be enough!

They said it would take 3 to 6 working days before you got them though.

:shocked:Really?! Oh I can't thank you enough! :huglove::boing: i'm so excited ha!

TO THIS:

You're welcome :naughty:

Did I ever tell you I'm jealous of your photoshop skills and creativity? :aah:

You should make some more wallpapers :teehee:

Please? :fangurl:

thats a very nice interesting article and an even better vid! my only complaint is that the writer has used the words weird/odd/strange like a hundred times

t4p deb:thumb_yello:

I prefer the content of the article much more than the photoshoot... Having Mika half naked, covered in paint is just a bonus:teehee:

And I bet you were being both ironic so I must be looking like a fool:aah:Wich I can't deny I am.

Exactly! If it was a sh*t article like most articles of Mika tend to be, I wouldn't want it just for the pictures. But it's the best article of Mika I've ever read, and sooooo long! Half naked Mika covered in paint is just a bonus. :wub2:

TO THIS:

You are very talented, how do you do that? it's amazing!

I really love your wallpaper :mf_lustslow:

Hi !

I wanted to buy one copy of the Observer at the airport. Maybe it was already said but is the Music Monthly is in the Observer ? I mean, it is a supplement of the newspaper sold with it, right ? :blush-anim-cl:

I hope I'll find it at the airport :boxed: