Progressive Mika? Please no.

Zsina

OK...this wasn't so amiable from me...but,I don't know,I like the original MIKA:D:D

I'm with Zsina:These songs are so empty

I am pretty sure Mika wanted these songs to sound different from the LiCM ones, but still keep the air of "original MIKA". I don't think these songs are empty at all,on the contrary! The lyrics are brilliant,every song has got a little story on its own, not to mention Mika's voice in them.

It's much more mature,artistically diverse and miscellaneous than LiCM if you ask me (which is a Glorious album too), so I think Mika will shake the earth even more with TBWKTM than he did with LICM.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be one of those rare beasts who likes both versions of Rain!

I loved it at PDP, and when I heard he was going to make it a bit more dancey, I wasn't happy. But when he did it at iTunes, I loved it, he really has done wonders with it. As long as he does it acoustically occasionally, I'll be happy.

I quite like some of the remixes of all the songs, and will be lobbying him to make sure Mirwas does more of them, as the WAG remix he did was awesome!

Just one thing, he MUST NOT, or even contemplate doing any remixes of I See You!!!

It's perfect as it is, and shouldn't be messed with!

I love Toni Braxtons Unbreak My Heart, and someone did a godawful dance mix of it, makes me shudder when I hear it. So I'm praying that NEVER happens to I See You!

Love Rain!!! and all songs!!!

Mika is the best:)

i completely agree with you! i was walking through Morpeth (hometown) and i had rain on my mind and it was beautiful! i love the album so far! :wub2: and the way he's put i'm falling in to i see you brought tears to my eyes! :tears:

I am pretty sure Mika wanted these songs to sound different from the LiCM ones, but still keep the air of "original MIKA". I don't think these songs are empty at all,on the contrary! The lyrics are brilliant,every song has got a little story on its own, not to mention Mika's voice in them.

It's much more mature,artistically diverse and miscellaneous than LiCM if you ask me (which is a Glorious album too), so I think Mika will shake the earth even more with TBWKTM than he did with LICM.

OK...this wasn't so amiable from me...but,I don't know,I like the original MIKA:D:D

I'm with Zsina:These songs are so empty

I meant empty for those progressive songs that were on Mika's myspace previously. No Mika songs are empty. People please don't get me wrong!!

I start to feel bad because I don't like the 'disco Rain.' and the remixes in general.

Sorry lol, I wish I didn't create this thread at all. :aah::sneaky2::lol3:

When I 1st heard the PDP Rain I didn't like it at all I thought he sounded like a struggled cat :naughty:but then I went to Amsterdam last year and I fell in love with it and I also like the studio version is amazing so I'm with Rose here :naughty::thumb_yello:

About the WAG remixes I hate them maybe also cuz most of the ppl here listen to electro dance crap and I agree with Zsina here about clubs

I didn't like "Rain" that much on the PDP. There was too much of the falsetto in it. Now don't get me wrong, I love Mika's falsetto and Mika's not Mika without it, but this was simply... An exaggaration. Like my dad said when he heard it, it sounds like someone's choking a cat. :aah:

Okay, that is officially the funniest thing I've heard about Rain today. HUH! LOL! :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Mika will always be Mika. He has acoustic versions of his songs, dance remixes, studio versions, etc. It's a smart move as an artist because he can get his music played in a variety of places and build name recognition so that people will go to see his shows.

I like all of the versions of his songs because I like ALL kinds of music. I love that he's versatile and seems to enjoy all of the versions of his songs. It means he isn't locked into being just one thing all of his life. He'll always have the freedom to experiment because he's always experimenting.

Most people are going to love some of his stuff and hate other stuff he does. That's fine because they'll stick around for what they love. The more people who stick around, the longer we get to see him in the spotlight.

Don't worry much about the bits you don't like. He'll still keep creating stuff you do like. He's versatile that way. :wub2:

Exactly! His live versions are different from the album versions. He has acustic versions of his songs as well as the studio versions. There is something for everyone in Mika's music. Look at how Love Today has evolved over time! He's always changing, always growing, always coming up with new things. Whatever he does, he is still our Mika.

I'm one of those beasts. I loved it at PDP, I love the acoustic version he did for radio recently, and if the iTunes gig and the MySpace snippet are an accurate indication, I'm going to LOVE the album version. It's got that let-loose-and-party feel to it, even more than Relax. Admittedly, I'm not in love with the album version of Relax. :teehee:

Just one thing, he MUST NOT, or even contemplate doing any remixes of I See You!!!

It's perfect as it is, and shouldn't be messed with!

Ugh, I TOTALLY agree. Remixes to already dance-ish tracks are often bad enough as it is, never mind remixes of ballads. :puking:

Remixing a ballad into a disco track is just wrong on so many levels, and I can't think of one example where it's worked out well.

I hate all the remixes :aah:

I don't like many of them either. The Calvin Harris remix of WAG is good, though, and the Mirwais remix of WAG does some cool things that allow you to hear certain elements far more clearly than the album version.

From LICM, though, the only remix I like is the Linus Loves remix of Grace Kelly. The rest are just meh, or even downright bad. :naughty:

I feel the same, at least about the remixes. I have to skip them on mikamyspace. Slaughter is the first word that comes to my mind whenever one of those items gets anywhere near to my ears. I don't see the achievement of these works. If I found them only boring I wouldn't bother to write this, but that kind of stuff really hurts my ears. It's one of the reasons why I never buy singles. I don't see a reason to pay for that sort of crap when I can have the song I want on the album. Those dance/trance/techno whatever mashups don't create any sort of additional benefit to me. It's the opposite, they'd lessen the value of a single.

I often wonder what it is that makes Mika enthuse over those pieces. Maybe it's my lack of understanding music theory which is hiding the brilliance and genius of those variations.

Maybe he's just amazed by the fact that other 'musicians' are aware of his work.

I don't know. As far as I'm concerned the Remix Universe is a world I won't access in the near future. It's alright, as long as I can put together my playlist to my preferences.

I'm a bit indecided about Rain at this point. I will have to wait for the full version and listen to it a few times to give an opinion. But I think I would really like it if I had not listened to the live version. It's on the lower end of the slaughter scale.

On another note, I love the fact that we can witness the development of his songs, how he adds and changes things all the time to put them on another level. And I absolutely adore how he masters just about everything - from the studio versions with all the musical accessory parts one can think of, the full blast live versions including dustbins and all kinds of padding on the musical and visual side, to the acoustic versions of everything, which are my favourites in many cases.

I feel the same, at least about the remixes. I have to skip them on mikamyspace. Slaughter is the first word that comes to my mind whenever one of those items gets anywhere near to my ears. I don't see the achievement of these works. If I found them only boring I wouldn't bother to write this, but that kind of stuff really hurts my ears. It's one of the reasons why I never buy singles. I don't see a reason to pay for that sort of crap when I can have the song I want on the album. Those dance/trance/techno whatever mashups don't create any sort of additional benefit to me. It's the opposite, they'd lessen the value of a single.

I often wonder what it is that makes Mika enthuse over those pieces. Maybe it's my lack of understanding music theory which is hiding the brilliance and genius of those variations.

Maybe he's just amazed by the fact that other 'musicians' are aware of his work.

I don't know. As far as I'm concerned the Remix Universe is a world I won't access in the near future. It's alright, as long as I can put together my playlist to my preferences.

I'm a bit indecided about Rain at this point. I will have to wait for the full version and listen to it a few times to give an opinion. But I think I would really like it if I had not listened to the live version. It's on the lower end of the slaughter scale.

On another note, I love the fact that we can witness the development of his songs, how he adds and changes things all the time to put them on another level. And I absolutely adore how he masters just about everything - from the studio versions with all the musical accessory parts one can think of, the full blast live versions including dustbins and all kinds of padding on the musical and visual side, to the acoustic versions of everything, which are my favourites in many cases.

Agree, and the reason why is cause he's Da Wiz :wub2:

i also hate the trance/house/electro sound. dance is ok to a certain extent, as long as the melody is still the main thing, and not the computer sounds. i don't like 99% of any remixes i've ever heard (not just mika, but of any artist), there's only a very small amount where i'd say, ok, this is still the song i like, but better for dancing in a club. i prefer dancing to 80s sounds in a club instead of umph-umph club sounds. :bleh:

about rain, i also was disappointed at first, i loved the acoustic, slow live version of last year. still, what he made of it now is fine to me too, it's a bit the style of relax - but of relax i also prefer the acoustic slow version. i just hope he'll once release the old live version as a b-side, so i can listen to both versions in good quality. :original:

Okay, that was just another great post! True, I agree with everything. Maybe I'll like the full version, or I'll get used to it at least, but it's really disturbing for me now, compared to the acoustic version. :blush-anim-cl::thumb_yello:

I think I understand what Zsina and some others were trying to say that some of these songs were more synth-pop like than songs from LICM, which I don't mind at all in theory... (A typical example of such song on the album is 'Touches You', I guess)

I do mind, however what BIOTG seems to have turned out to be like. :emot-sad: Of course I have yet to listen to the full version but I imagined the orchestration to be more acoustic or more 70s sound like... so that's against my expectations only, otherwise still a good song.:thumb_yello:

Rain - I did not like it at all first (the live version from 2008) and the first time I liked listening to it was at the i-tunes gig + I liked the acoustic version from Hamburg, too. I quite like the album version, however, considering it is a dance track even though I originally expected a more acostic sound with the violin ... and no, I don't think Owen Pallett's pizzicato it itself makes it particularly 'organic' but I don't think this song was intended to sound very acoustic, so that's fine :cool:

So for Rain, album version sounds perfectly OK to be a massive hit but I hope do Mika will release an acoustic version of it like he did for Relax. (I and hopefully one with a violin, too as we already have one with a guitar :blush-anim-cl:)

:thumb_yello:

Edited by suzie

I thought I would start a discussion about Mika's 'albums' that previously appeared on his myspace.

Some of you may know that I absolutely loathe this kind of stuff. Trance, disco,progressive...don't misunderstand me...it's not the music I hate,not the rythm...the sound...those nasty stupid useless computer sounds. I could make a song like that too, no big deal.

He really scared me with those songs...they are awful...they are just empty, not Mika. :huh:

This didn't really bother me until I've heard this new version on RAIN. I've said it on the 'Rain thread' too, I think Mika ruined the song. For me at least. I just totally feel that this repeting computer sound, doesn't fit in there. Gets on my nerves. I love the previous acoustic versions though.

Yeah he turned it to a dance song. But I don't want Mika to have this kind of dance songs. We have the clapping song, Blame it on the girls....it's awesome....WAg....etc.....all great dancing stuff...

But Rain is different somehow...and I just don't like how it turned out. The thunderstorm's good, yeah, but apart from that...it's not something I'd love to listen to. It's faster, has this agressive rythm that ruins the whole intimacy of that beautiful song.

So that was my quick review on Rain...but to go back to the topic:

I don't want Mika to turn into the kind of artist Gaga is. I don't want his songs to be played in discos...

I hate the remixes too! Of WAG for ex. Why do we need them? The actual song has amazing rythm too, I wanna dance to it, everytime I'm listenning to it....so why the remixes? :dunno:

I hope I'm not the onlylonelyone feeling this way.

I thought this could be a good topic to discuss, there will be arguments too I guess, but I would like to hear your opinion too.

Do you like this kind of stuff???.....

Would you mind if Mika created more songs like these in the future?

What do you think of Rain?

etc..

:original:

I love it but I've always loved clubmusic.

And don't forget Mika has said more than ones that he loves techno.That's Mika too

I agree on all counts.

I actually preferred Calvin Harris' vocal mix of WAG to the original when I first heard it although I find the remixes don't hold up over time. But definitely looking forward to the Rain remixes. On average the remixes tend to be mediocre, but there are bound to be a few exceptional ones.

That's the same fore me;

i love that Calvin Harris song more than the original.

And I also wanted to say that I've always loved Relax and that sounds like techno too but the thing with that song is that it's all with instruments and for that I love it even more and I think it will be the same for rain(not all computer but real instruments)

I've alse read that many folks didn't like the album version of "Blame It On The Girls" - too hip-hoppish and JT alike they said - but I VORSHIP it!!! Mika sounds totally different in it,the different beat, everything. I'm so happy that he's made something new in comparison to other songs on the album. And that's one of the reasons I like this new album so much - because every song sounds different, because Mika's voice and style of singing sound different.

About the remixes, well that's what DJs are for, no?:naughty: I think that there are some rather dreadful remixes of Mika's songs, and some remixes that sound even better than the originals! For example, WAG. :teehee:

And I'm not talking only about Mika's songs, but any musician's songs.

Definitely agree about BIOTG. :thumb_yello:

It was my favourite new song the moment he performed it in LA and I love how it's turned out on the record.

You're right about the remixes. Most of them are weak (just like most regular songs ever released in general are mediocre at best), but there are a few masterpieces out there that make the whole remixing thing worthwhile.

I loved it at PDP, and when I heard he was going to make it a bit more dancey, I wasn't happy. But when he did it at iTunes, I loved it, he really has done wonders with it. As long as he does it acoustically occasionally, I'll be happy.

I do love an acoustic version of Rain, just not the original one. After the vlog when we realized he was making a Relax type song out of Rain I said I hoped he would strip THAT back down to make an acoustic version rather than using the original acoustic version and that's more or less what he did on the SFS tour. :fangurl:

Remixing a ballad into a disco track is just wrong on so many levels, and I can't think of one example where it's worked out well.

I like Cascada's Everytime We Touch although I don't know which came first, the dance track or the ballad. :naughty:

Doing a remix does not have to mean it becomes a disco song in any case. A trancey type feel can work well with slower songs.

Definitely agree about BIOTG. :thumb_yello:

It was my favourite new song the moment he performed it in LA and I love how it's turned out on the record.

You're right about the remixes. Most of them are weak (just like most regular songs ever released in general are mediocre at best), but there are a few masterpieces out there that make the whole remixing thing worthwhile.

I do love an acoustic version of Rain, just not the original one. After the vlog when we realized he was making a Relax type song out of Rain I said I hoped he would strip THAT back down to make an acoustic version rather than using the original acoustic version and that's more or less what he did on the SFS tour. :fangurl:

I like Cascada's Everytime We Touch although I don't know which came first, the dance track or the ballad. :naughty:

Doing a remix does not have to mean it becomes a disco song in any case. A trancey type feel can work well with slower songs.

i like that song cos it reminds me of the Lake District!

Rain was an insane disappointment for me. so was I See You. That would have been a great song without that "hip-hop beat" in the background. It seems that all the songs on the radio have that. Its just not neccesary. I also regret to say that I hated the album version of Blame it on the Girls. Good thing I have an acoustic recording. in conclusion:

I want to hear music not computers!

Good news is he stayed true to quality pop in We Are Golden, Good Gone Girl, Dr. John, Blue Eyes, and Pick up off the Floor:thumb_yello: If only his whole album were closer to those songs...

There is no hip hop beat in Rain. :roftl:

Come on people let's not get carried away. We all have different preferences, which is fine, but that doesn't mean Rain is a hip hop song.

And Blame It On The Girls is not all computerized either as you can clearly hear in the vlog where there is a piano solo and Ida's backing vocals in the bridge.

Why don't we just wait for the album before rushing to judgement, eh? :wink2:

There is no hip hop beat in Rain. :roftl:

Come on people let's not get carried away. We all have different preferences, which is fine, but that doesn't mean Rain is a hip hop song.

And Blame It On The Girls is not all computerized either as you can clearly hear in the vlog where there is a piano solo and Ida's backing vocals in the bridge.

Why don't we just wait for the album before rushing to judgement, eh? :wink2:

Agreed Christine!

We have only heard snippets of some of the new songs so far and I don't think we can judge them by that. Rain has never been one of my favourite songs, when I first heard it at PDP I liked it, probably because it was one of the first new Mika songs we had heard, but then that chorus started to grate on me, I even had to skip it everytime I played it in the car or on my mp3, BUT having said that the new version has grown on me loads, I love the new acoustic version that he does, and the one at SW was fab, Mika is slowly turning me around to liking this song, it may take a while longer but I'm sure I'll love it in then end. :thumb_yello:

I'm one of those beasts. I loved it at PDP, I love the acoustic version he did for radio recently, and if the iTunes gig and the MySpace snippet are an accurate indication, I'm going to LOVE the album version.

I feel the same. I was so happy to hear Rain at PDP and I loved it at iTunes. The acoustic version he did for radio was absolutely beautiful, I love it most, but I really like all versions :wub2:

But I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of remixes!

When I first heard Rain last year, I thought it was quite boring, to be perfectly honest, so I was expecting it to be the next My Interpretation for me (ie. my least favourite song on the album). However, when I heard the clip of the album version a few days ago, it actually made me smile because it was, in my opinion, so much better than the version I heard all that time ago. It just feels like it now has the 'oomph' that I thought it was lacking originally.

I reckon that Mika quite suits dancey/disco-ey music, and would personally have no objections if he ventured further into electronic music... well, unless he went trance, anyway. LOL. Trance bores me, I'm afraid. :dunno:

EDIT: Oh, and as for remixes, I don't tend to bother with them, really. It's very rare that I actually like a remix.

Edited by wasabi_tea