By the Time - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Blue Sky

suzie, I'm speaking for Nollaig here to clear up this confusion..

'by George!' is an old fashioned English expression, it means 'goodness me!' or something equivalent.

:doh:

Thank you for explaining it:thumb_yello:

I have never heard that before and because Nollaig seemed to have corrected the word to Mika I was fully confused:blink:

So the Freudian slip actually came from me:naughty:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! My apologies!

It didn't even occur to me that people wouldn't know the expression, when OBVIOUSLY they wouldn't. Nobody even uses it any more, I just sorta say it in jest. Sorry! :blush-anim-cl:

Isn't it fun being part of an international dialogue?? Hahaha!:thumb_yello::roftl::shocked::blink::biggrin2::thumb_yello:

This is another one of my favorites from the new album. Imogen's voice is so heavenly, and they blend so well together. It has the tenderness of a lullaby, but the lyrics are so heartbreaking. Precisely my cup'o'tea. :wink2:

It's just so perfectly beautiful and devestating. This is my interpretation upon first listen...

It's as if that experience, having a lover leave him while he was sleeping, caused him to lose faith in love. I imagined him falling asleep with a smile on his face, then waking up feeling vulnerable and abandoned. Imogen is like the voice of an angel, trying to protect him by lulling him back to sleep.

Oh goodness, I really shouldn't listen to this right before bed. It's makng me all emotional...

Edited by DaMango

I

"wasn't I allowed 3 strikes and out? No, but you said I could, said I could just one night."

Did they get back with eachother for one night? For old times sake? Or because the partner pitied the narrator?

exactly my thoughts :thumb_yello:

but i thought about suicide one of the first times i heard the song :aah:

The interpretations of this song are reallylovely. I love the sleepy sad saturday morning feel to the song. However by a weird slip of my hearing I've kind of ruined my mojo for the song.

Every time I hear the line I'm busy in the blissful unaware

I HEAR "I'm busy in the peaceful underwear" Which makes me go :shocked:

I even sing it that way. I realize it's wrong and makes no sense but I always end up singing it that wa when I sing along. XD I still love the song thoguh.

The interpretations of this song are reallylovely. I love the sleepy sad saturday morning feel to the song. However by a weird slip of my hearing I've kind of ruined my mojo for the song.

I even sing it that way. I realize it's wrong and makes no sense but I always end up singing it that wa when I sing along. XD I still love the song thoguh.

HA! This is great. I've always heard "peaceful underwear" even though I knew it was something else. I remember even when we just had the little 30 second iTunes preview clips before the album came out, I always heard "peaceful/blissful underwear". :naughty:

HA! This is great. I've always heard "peaceful underwear" even though I knew it was something else. I remember even when we just had the little 30 second iTunes preview clips before the album came out, I always heard "peaceful/blissful underwear". :naughty:

It definatly sounds like underwear. Must be teh accent or something or maybe my accent. I've no idea but it makes me giggle. IT also reminds me of the Sean Lennon albumn I have he has some sleepy songs that have a similar pace to By The Time.

Maybe the original lyric was

"I'm busy dancing in my underwear." :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

You're totally right...:naughty:

:biggrin2:

So busy in this peaceful underwear...:mf_rosetinted:

snap101796-1.png

I really dislike this song. Every time it plays on my iPod, I immediately change it. This song annoys me quite a bit. :teehee:

SAME. Every other song is great. I didn't like One Foot Boy at first, but now it's my second or third favorite. I doubt that will ever really happen with this song, unfortunately. But maybe. I'll keep trying.

SAME. Every other song is great. I didn't like One Foot Boy at first, but now it's my second or third favorite. I doubt that will ever really happen with this song, unfortunately. But maybe. I'll keep trying.

Same here!!!! ;)

I wonder why everyone is so enthusiastic about that song.

But, well, I try to get used to it, and it's not so unbearable in the end ...

Same here:lmfao:

I just couldn't believe it was unaware.

I've got exactly the same (including the One foot boy bit:naughty:)

I always skip this song on my iPod.

Actually, when I think about it now, I think I can't stand the fact that I don't like one song by Mika!! LOL

So I keep on trying!

Me too! But it helped when I found out it was a collaboration...then I was like "Well, maybe I just don't like the Imogen bits" and left it that.