Wasn't I allowed three strikes and out

No, but you said I could, said I could just one night

By the time I'm dreaming

and you've crept out on me sleeping

I'm busy in the blissful unaware

By the time I'm dreaming

tell me how am I supposed to care

If I had let you go, let you go (sounds like Would)

would this be different, different

Now I'll never know never know

I didn't get the chance damn you

If I let had you go, let you go

would this be different, different

Now I'll never know never know

I didn't get the chance damn you

and by the time I'm dreaming

and by the time I'm dreaming

Don't wake up, won't wake up, can't wake up,

no, don't wake me up

no, don't wake me up

no, don't wake me up

no, don't wake me up

Don't wake up, won't wake up, can't wake up

I so wished to know about what is sung in this song. I think it is my to the most favourite in TBWKTM. One of favourite:wub2:

Thank you Blue Sky:wink2:

This album is about his adolescence, and he said himself the content is much darker than his original album.

Lyrics in (bold brackets)

I'm still thinking it through, but I definately think it's about someone who after being used and abused by other men (a trail of clothes, two years old) was relying on him emotionally, as a friend or something. I don't think this refers to anything ongoing with the storyteller himself, because he says (wasn't I allowed, three strikes and out?) which implies this was his first mistake, and shouldn't he have been allowed to make mistakes too? The mistake was letting things turn physical (but you said I could, said I could just one night), and the person left him while he was asleep, depriving him of a chance to be the (first?) person who would still actually be there the morning after (by the time I'm dreaming and you've crept out on me sleeping, tell me how am I supposed to care?), and now he's bitter and angry (you didn't give me a chance damn you) because he's slipped up and now he'll never know could he have helped them.

I actually can't help but think this may be a song about suicide. Which is surprisingly dark for Mika, but the two lines (motionless remains the mess, shame, such a beautiful young life), just sound like waking up and finding a body to me. What other mess would have originally had motion? And then the whole thing ties in with 'don't wake up, won't wake up, can't wake up' which is like, not wanting to wake up (don't wake up)(and face life) not being able to wake the person (won't wake up) and finally realising they (can't wake up), and now never will.

I might add that just because it reads like suicide to me doesn't mean it's actually about a suicide, it could just be a heavy image for letting someone down irreperably.

Edited by Nollaig

To me it starts like a movie with the camera panning around a room. You don’t know what is wrong but there is something creepy about the whole scene. Then your eyes stop on a lifeless body. This person might not actually be dead but ’irreparably broken' / wasted.

I love how the rhythm supports the feeling that it is complete silence in the room with only a clock ticking...

To me that is the most beautiful element of the song:blush-anim-cl:

Then the scenery gives you clues how this person never got over having been deserted and you hear their story...

for which I have several versions (though not as many as we had for Toy Boy:naughty:) but at the moment I don't feel like writing it down any of them - would be too complicated and might sound like I am over-analysing this.

I just love how the music supports the story and helps create the scene :wub2:

Okay now I feel bad for over-analysing! :naughty:

I don't think you should feel guilty about over-analysing. I partly don't analyse the lyrics that much because I am not good at it:wink2:

I prefer analysing the music - that I feel more comfortable with:teehee:

By George I love this man though. Rarely has a music artist so provoked my little mind to contemplation. :roftl:

:confused: not sure what you mean

This is such an intriguing little song, musically and lyrically.

Musically it seems quite lightweight and dreamy, almost ethereal, yet the rhythm and the melody are actually quite potent. It's just as catchy as any of the 'poppy' songs on the album but in a very subtle way.

Lyrically, as ever with me, I prefer not to over-analyse. I hear it as a lament about being abandoned, perhaps suddenly and without any warning. The 'don't wake up' thing suggests to me that the subject almost wants to bury their head in the sand and avoid the pain of the abandonment, and while to me it isn't explicitly about suicide, there is a slightly macabre edge to it, as if it might be hinting at self harming. These are just impressions I get in my head when I hear the song.

This is such an intriguing little song, musically and lyrically.

Musically it seems quite lightweight and dreamy, almost ethereal, yet the rhythm and the melody are actually quite potent. It's just as catchy as any of the 'poppy' songs on the album but in a very subtle way.

Lyrically, as ever with me, I prefer not to over-analyse. I hear it as a lament about being abandoned, perhaps suddenly and without any warning. The 'don't wake up' thing suggests to me that the subject almost wants to bury their head in the sand and avoid the pain of the abandonment, and while to me it isn't explicitly about suicide, there is a slightly macabre edge to it, as if it might be hinting at self harming. These are just impressions I get in my head when I hear the song.

I love how dreamy the music is. Like a lullaby. Which obviously goes with the "dreaming" lyrics and "don't wake up..."

To me, and not entirely sure why, but it reminds me of "Erase". Lyric wise. Like they don't want to believe it's over, y'know?

"I shouldn't have called so late last night, all insecure, out of my mind, I shouldn't have left that message on your phone. I shouldn't have said the things I said, looking for love we left for dead in a grave without a stone. As soon as you hear my voice, don't hesitate. Put your finger on the button. / Everything's cool, the rent is paid. The house is clean, your bed is made, but it's a ghost town in your mind. We never had time to go to sleep, we'd wake up tangled in the sheets on a bed that we called home. When the pain won't go away, you might as well put your finger on the trigger."

It's the same kind of storyline behind it, y'know? Refusing to believe it's happened. Knowing it's happened but just not accepting the circumstances. Wanting to be put out of misery.

This album is about his adolescence, and he said himself the content is much darker than his original album.

Lyrics in (bold brackets)

I'm still thinking it through, but I definately think it's about someone who after being used and abused by other men (a trail of clothes, two years old) was relying on him emotionally, as a friend or something. I don't think this refers to anything ongoing with the storyteller himself, because he says (wasn't I allowed, three strikes and out?) which implies this was his first mistake, and shouldn't he have been allowed to make mistakes too? The mistake was letting things turn physical (but you said I could, said I could just one night), and the person left him while he was asleep, depriving him of a chance to be the (first?) person who would still actually be there the morning after (by the time I'm dreaming and you've crept out on me sleeping, tell me how am I supposed to care?), and now he's bitter and angry (you didn't give me a chance damn you) because he's slipped up and now he'll never know could he have helped them.

I actually can't help but think this may be a song about suicide. Which is surprisingly dark for Mika, but the two lines (motionless remains the mess, shame, such a beautiful young life), just sound like waking up and finding a body to me. What other mess would have originally had motion? And then the whole thing ties in with 'don't wake up, won't wake up, can't wake up' which is like, not wanting to wake up (don't wake up)(and face life) not being able to wake the person (won't wake up) and finally realising they (can't wake up), and now never will.

I might add that just because it reads like suicide to me doesn't mean it's actually about a suicide, it could just be a heavy image for letting someone down irreperably.

That's really interesting, though I must admit I put a different story into it. It's one of my favourate songs and (as I said on page 2 of this thread) I think it's about suicide. I like Suzie's idea of the clock ticking- it seems obvious now she's said it but I'd never have picked it up myself

I think it's about a man who finally got together with the girl of his dreams (2 years previously) and thought it was the start of something wonderful, but when he woke up she'd gone- like she said she would but he'd deluded himself- he wasn't given 3 chances. And now he's lost interest in the waking world and taken pills or something, and as he floats off he's detatchedly picturing himself dead and the (metaphorical) trail of clothes that led to it. I think "by the time I'm dreaming and you've crept out on me sleeping, tell me how am I supposed to care" sort of hints at "when you uncaringly crept out on me sleeping (asleep) I was hurt but by the time I'm dreaming (slipping into death) I can't care, but you will live with it forever"

Or something!

I love how dreamy the music is. Like a lullaby. Which obviously goes with the "dreaming" lyrics and "don't wake up..."

To me, and not entirely sure why, but it reminds me of "Erase". Lyric wise. Like they don't want to believe it's over, y'know?

"I shouldn't have called so late last night, all insecure, out of my mind, I shouldn't have left that message on your phone. I shouldn't have said the things I said, looking for love we left for dead in a grave without a stone. As soon as you hear my voice, don't hesitate. Put your finger on the button. / Everything's cool, the rent is paid. The house is clean, your bed is made, but it's a ghost town in your mind. We never had time to go to sleep, we'd wake up tangled in the sheets on a bed that we called home. When the pain won't go away, you might as well put your finger on the trigger."

It's the same kind of storyline behind it, y'know? Refusing to believe it's happened. Knowing it's happened but just not accepting the circumstances. Wanting to be put out of misery.

That sounds convincing- I haven't really heard erase (though I've given in and bought it) but yes, sort of suicide references and hte same creapy empty house and denial stuff

That's really interesting, though I must admit I put a different story into it. It's one of my favourate songs and (as I said on page 2 of this thread) I think it's about suicide. I like Suzie's idea of the clock ticking- it seems obvious now she's said it but I'd never have picked it up myself

I think it's about a man who finally got together with the girl of his dreams (2 years previously) and thought it was the start of something wonderful, but when he woke up she'd gone- like she said she would but he'd deluded himself- he wasn't given 3 chances. And now he's lost interest in the waking world and taken pills or something, and as he floats off he's detatchedly picturing himself dead and the (metaphorical) trail of clothes that led to it. I think "by the time I'm dreaming and you've crept out on me sleeping, tell me how am I supposed to care" sort of hints at "when you uncaringly crept out on me sleeping (asleep) I was hurt but by the time I'm dreaming (slipping into death) I can't care, but you will live with it forever"

Or something!

Oh THANK YOU! I was starting to cower from everyone not analysing! :roftl:

Yeah, my interpretation (no pun intended, I swear) is just that - it's what rang true with me and it's a spin I put on it that makes me really like it.

I really like your idea too though, I never would have come up with it.

I love how ambiguous it all is!

It's the early morn

lights flick on

sleepy eyes peek through the blinds at something wrong

Motionless remains the mess

Shame, such a beautiful, beautiful young life[/color]

By the time I'm dreaming

By the time I'm dreaming

A trail of clothes two years old

Why did you have to go and leave all this stuff behind

Wasn't I allowed three strikes and out

No, but you said I could, said I could just one night

I'm not getting this suicide/self harming thing.

To me, in the first verse, it's like Mika (or whoever) is in a relationship they know is failing "sleepy eyes peek through the blinds at something wrong. Motionless remains a mess. Shame, such a beautiful, beautiful young life."

It's like they had something really good, and that's why it's a shame, because perhaps they're both young and wonderful and vibrant with many happy memories but now the relationship is dying.

I think the partner in question walked out on the narrator while the narrator was sleeping...I guess that's pretty obvious. "Tell me how I'm supposed to care" I think means that the narrator probably didn't find it too much of a shock that they had gone, but still a shock at the same time. Like, they saw it coming, but never expected it to hurt as much when it happened, but they're too weary to fight and bring them back because the dying relationship drained the life out of them. "By the time I'm dreaming, and you've crept out on me sleeping, tell me how am I supposed to care."

The second verse is like...when...you know how people in relationships sometimes keep what the other person gave them? "a trail of clothes two years old...why did you have to go and leave all this stuff behind?" It's like the narrator kept them, just in case they came back, but keeping them is hurting them because it's a reminder of what HAD been and what COULD have been.

"wasn't I allowed 3 strikes and out? No, but you said I could, said I could just one night."

Did they get back with eachother for one night? For old times sake? Or because the partner pitied the narrator?

Ta duuhhh...

I actually agree with most of what you're saying Caz in some ways, but I just can't read 'shame, such a beautiful, beautiful young life' to mean anything other than the other person in question, regardless of what's happened to them. (Be it walking out, or anything else.) Which is why I think it's some reflection specficially on the other person being troubled.

Most of what I say is just random thoughts that occur as I go along though so it may change :naughty:

I actually agree with most of what you're saying Caz in some ways, but I just can't read 'shame, such a beautiful, beautiful young life' to mean anything other than the other person in question, regardless of what's happened to them. (Be it walking out, or anything else.) Which is why I think it's some reflection specficially on the other person being troubled.

Most of what I say is just random thoughts that occur as I go along though so it may change :naughty:

I'm going to have to listen to the song again. I've been convinced it was "Shame, such a beautiful beautiful young LOVE" as opposed to life.

The only thing I've read into it was a relationship that kind of withered. Like it caught him unawares that it was over. I can see where the suicide or self harm part might be inferred thoguh.

*fake edit* well I guess in the booklet it is Young Life.. I still hear it as love thoguh. Funny how one's ears plays tricks on ya

Edited by CalicoSkies

I really like this song, a bit puzzled by some of the lines, especially...

"if i had let you go would this be different"

I think if the narrator done it instead of the partner in question, then the narrator would feel differently or events would have altered somehow.

Okay now I feel bad for over-analysing! :naughty:

By George I love this man though. Rarely has a music artist so provoked my little mind to contemplation. :roftl:

:ot:

:blink:

Why did you write George then? Must have been a Freudian slip ....listening to Touches You too many times perhaps?.. :naughty:..

suzie, I'm speaking for Nollaig here to clear up this confusion..

'by George!' is an old fashioned English expression, it means 'goodness me!' or something equivalent. It's nothing to do with George Michael :roftl: although the coincidence is quite funny I admit. But this is the By The Time thread not the Touches You thread, of course :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2:

suzie, I'm speaking for Nollaig here to clear up this confusion..

'by George!' is an old fashioned English expression, it means 'goodness me!' or something equivalent. It's nothing to do with George Michael :roftl: although the coincidence is quite funny I admit. But this is the By The Time thread not the Touches You thread, of course :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2:

:roftl: