By the Time - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Blue Sky

Could a native speaker please explain me what those two lines mean? I don't understand:

Wasn't I allowed three strikes and out__> Base Ball reference a lot of times. In base ball there's a batter gets three chances then he's out.

No, but you said I could, said I could just one night

I think narrator is saying the person he is singing to told him he could have one more chance. It does not directly say so but I think he's saying that He wished he had more chances (for example the three chances but he was only allowed one) I still think the person he is singing able did not let him have the chance he asked for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest whalesfood

i cried so hard the first time i heard the song. it's so beautiful and the lyrics are amazing. i mentioned it in my newbie post but i found mika through an ex boyfriend, jaki. well i lost jaki to suicide. the main reason i am a mika fan is because his music played a very big part in dealing with that, as well as helping me get through some major health issues.anyways. when i was down and just wanted to hear something soothing and beautiful i could listen to any other world or over my shoulder, if i needed a good cry i just had to watch the happy ending video, to just sing along to and get anger out it was relax take it easy and to just put me in a happy mood i just had to listen to love today or grace kelly. so i got the new album was very excited to have more songs for all of this. by the way came on and at first i was beyond excited because of imogean and was immediately blown away with how beautiful it was, then i started listening the lyrics! and they hit such a nerve. i felt like he had dug into my head and pulled out everything i had been feeling in the past 2 years from losing jaki and dealing with it and i just lost it. so when i hear it i just listen to it from that point of view and it definitely replaces happy ending for tear jerker.

there was a never a song that fully expressed everything i had been feeling for 2 years until this song came out and i could never be more grateful to him and imogean for writing it.

• 2 weeks later...
The interpretations of this song are reallylovely. I love the sleepy sad saturday morning feel to the song. However by a weird slip of my hearing I've kind of ruined my mojo for the song.

Every time I hear the line I'm busy in the blissful unaware

I HEAR "I'm busy in the peaceful underwear" Which makes me go :shocked:

I even sing it that way. I realize it's wrong and makes no sense but I always end up singing it that wa when I sing along. XD I still love the song thoguh.

Oh God girls!!!

i decided to read this thread only now, it is the first time I read the text. I heard UNDERWEAR too!!! ha-ha:naughty:

Oh God girls!!!

i decided to read this thread only now, it is the first time I read the text. I heard UNDERWEAR too!!! ha-ha:naughty:

I think it just goes to prove that many of us have Underwear on the brain when it comes to Mistah-Meeks. As my Cockatiel Toki would say we are dirty birdys XD.

i cried so hard the first time i heard the song. it's so beautiful and the lyrics are amazing. i mentioned it in my newbie post but i found mika through an ex boyfriend, jaki. well i lost jaki to suicide. the main reason i am a mika fan is because his music played a very big part in dealing with that, as well as helping me get through some major health issues.anyways. when i was down and just wanted to hear something soothing and beautiful i could listen to any other world or over my shoulder, if i needed a good cry i just had to watch the happy ending video, to just sing along to and get anger out it was relax take it easy and to just put me in a happy mood i just had to listen to love today or grace kelly. so i got the new album was very excited to have more songs for all of this. by the way came on and at first i was beyond excited because of imogean and was immediately blown away with how beautiful it was, then i started listening the lyrics! and they hit such a nerve. i felt like he had dug into my head and pulled out everything i had been feeling in the past 2 years from losing jaki and dealing with it and i just lost it. so when i hear it i just listen to it from that point of view and it definitely replaces happy ending for tear jerker.

there was a never a song that fully expressed everything i had been feeling for 2 years until this song came out and i could never be more grateful to him and imogean for writing it.

I'm very sorry about your loss :emot-sad::flowers2::huglove:

I always seem to find a way to connect with MIKA's somngs, seems like most of the one's on his new album are good songs to make me cry.

It's hard to hear a song that's just about as perfect as you can get to what you feel about what's happened and what's going on. In this case, I wished no one woke me up :\

I didn't hear 'underwear'... I'll try and listen for that next time xD

Maybe I was trying too hard!

• 1 month later...

Are we absolutely sure they are saying "such a beautiful, beautiful young life" because I think I'm hearing something different?

I won't say what I'm hearing until I got someone's opinion on it, I have heard wrong before....:blush-anim-cl:

And no, it's not something dirty!:roftl:

Are we absolutely sure they are saying "such a beautiful, beautiful young life" because I think I'm hearing something different?

I won't say what I'm hearing until I got someone's opinion on it, I have heard wrong before....:blush-anim-cl:

I'm pretty darn sure it's "young", what do you think it is?

I'm pretty darn sure it's "young", what do you think it is?

I think earlier we were discussing how it can possibly be young love.

Hmmmm....

Now it's probably just silly what I think I'm hearing!:teehee:

I'll really try to think of young life or love!:aah:

I think I just have to let it go, my imagination is playing tricks on me!:naughty:

Thank you for answering CazGirl, Suzie and Silver!:wub2:

I don't know what you're hearing Sienna, but I only hear "young life" when I listen.

And for what it's worth, the lyrics on the album say "young life" as well. :thumb_yello:

This isn't about 'By The Time', but I couldn't find a separate 'Imogen Heap' thread, so I thought i'd share it here... How similar does the clapping sound in this video (go to about 0:27)

...to the clapping as well as the breaths in the background as in BIOTG?!

...just thought i'd share my observations....:aah::teehee:

This isn't about 'By The Time', but I couldn't find a separate 'Imogen Heap' thread, so I thought i'd share it here... How similar does the clapping sound in this video (go to about 0:27)

...to the clapping as well as the breaths in the background as in BIOTG?!

...just thought i'd share my observations....:aah::teehee:

haha!

I've mentioned this months ago, but I don't think any agreed with me...or replied:boxed::naughty: but I agree with you, I think it sounds almost exactly the same! :thumb_yello:

I think earlier we were discussing how it can possibly be young love.

I think it is, young love that is.

i just checked my Little Noise vid and it sounds like he's saying love.

i hear "young life"

:dunno: