MIKA @ Hammersmith Apollo, London

dcdeb

Everyone has a right to be at the front of the venue but the early bird gets the worm. There's no logic about it, really.

My best Charlie mate is going to be my partner for this one! We haven't been to a Mika gig together since our first one - Shepherds Bush May 07!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with Sara's last bit of her post ... about the doors ... it doesn't matter what number you have on your hand ... once those doors open ... it's a free for all ... and you all know what the stewards do ... the first lot of fans they direct to one set of open doors ... and then suddenly they'll direct the next lot to the doors in the middle ... and then eventually the next lot to the doors at the end ... that's what happened to me ... I got the doors at the end and I was one of the first people through them .... so while others who were technically in front of me ... I ended up in the venue before them .... also depends on how quick the steward scans your ticket ... I think some got held up at other doors by slow stewards as well ... as Sara said ... it's pot luck ... I generally go early so I have a better chance of a good spot rather than be about 300 people back with no chance at all ... cos' once I get a place in the crowd ... I don't generally try to push in front of other people to get a better place ... where I end up is where I end up ... if that makes sense ... :aah:

I found at these London venues that being right at the front of the queue is a virtual guarantee that you'll get inside at most 50th+ place. Security always spends the most time harassing the people first through the doors while everyone whizzes by them and into the auditorium. It is such a shockingly bad and unfair system. There is no need for them to let hundreds of people in over the course of a couple of minutes.

I'm avoiding London altogether because it's always a nightmare and the 3 worst gigs I've been to have been London ones.

I remember at Hammersmith they only let about ten people through at a time. But I don't know how long they did it for lol. It would be good if they did that, I think. Even though people were still rushing :aah:

They need a bottle neck, like one set of doors with a turnstile, so that you don't have hundreds of people rushing in at the same time. Security treats the opening of the doors like some kind of commando operation but the chaos is entirely of their own making and there's no need for it.

The Toronto venue holds as many people as the stalls in Hammersmith or Brixton but we didn't have any of these problems. I was able to walk at a regular pace to the stage and stand front and centre. No one got past me. It was impossible for them to because people were only allowed inside as quickly as two ticket takers could get them through the turnstile.

You don't need dozens of security guards if you don't throw the doors wide open and create needless chaos.

They need a bottle neck, like one set of doors with a turnstile, so that you don't have hundreds of people rushing in at the same time. Security treats the opening of the doors like some kind of commando operation but the chaos is entirely of their own making and there's no need for it.

The Toronto venue holds as many people as the stalls in Hammersmith or Brixton but we didn't have any of these problems. I was able to walk at a regular pace to the stage and stand front and centre. No one got past me. It was impossible for them to because people were only allowed inside as quickly as two ticket takers could get them through the turnstile.

You don't need dozens of security guards if you don't throw the doors wide open and create needless chaos.

Can't someone email the venue to pass on that suggstion?

I'm going on the 1st of March. Will there be an RSVP thread for that date?

I didn't book for 28th because I didn't know if I would get chance to go to Little Noise, and I couldn't go to both. I wasn't selected to get tickets for Little Noise even though I had registered, so when this new gig came up I thought I'd go to that one.

Looking forward to the 1st of March. I've booked the circle seated, and the seats are reserved, so no queuing! Horrrayyyy!

But we'll probably turn up for a while before, to chat to everyone.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Can't someone email the venue to pass on that suggstion?

I don't know about Hammersmith but John tried to negotiate with them at Brixton all day and they were very difficult about it. They sort of tried letting the first 10 of us through before allowing others in, but it all went too fast still and was only a small improvement.

This isn't rocket science. They are doing it the way they are doing it for a reason I would imagine and I don't see them changing just for a Mika gig.

I don't know about Hammersmith but John tried to negotiate with them at Brixton all day and they were very difficult about it. They sort of tried letting the first 10 of us through before allowing others in, but it all went too fast still and was only a small improvement.

This isn't rocket science. They are doing it the way they are doing it for a reason I would imagine and I don't see them changing just for a Mika gig.

Surely they know it's practically murder though? All it takes is a little bit of civilisation!

I'm going on the 1st of March. Will there be an RSVP thread for that date?

I didn't book for 28th because I didn't know if I would get chance to go to Little Noise, and I couldn't go to both. I wasn't selected to get tickets for Little Noise even though I had registered, so when this new gig came up I thought I'd go to that one.

Looking forward to the 1st of March. I've booked the circle seated, and the seats are reserved, so no queuing! Horrrayyyy!

But we'll probably turn up for a while before, to chat to everyone.

I 'm not sure what you mean by that, Marilyn? The way Little Noise worked was that you had two options: you either got your tickets at the regular sale, on October 19th, or you registered for that "backstage" thing, which meant that if you went to their site on the 16th you could get pre-sale tickets.

There was no selection involved, you just needed to go to the link on the day. I'm confused :boxed:

I remember at Hammersmith they only let about ten people through at a time. But I don't know how long they did it for lol. It would be good if they did that, I think. Even though people were still rushing :aah:

What I remember from Hammersmith was that the first lot was of around 10 people, yes, but while they still had those people being checked (very thoroughly!) waiting to be let in, they let another group in, opened another set of doors, and chaos set in. Then it was the 'usual' free for all, which meant that people with number 60 or 70 got ahead of people with number 1 or 2 (the numbers are examples, not exacts as I obviously don't remember them :biggrin2:)

If you ended up stuck with a security person who decided that they would do a random super thorough search on you, it meant that another 10 people would get ahead of you even if they were behind you. They don't seem to have a set way of checking people either, so it was pot luck depending on which guard you happened to be checked by, which meant that some people got a really thorough search and others were let go with just a wave.

The whole system is wrong but they won't change it, as it doesn't affect them. They never seem open to suggestions from what I've seen :blink:.

What I remember from Hammersmith was that the first lot was of around 10 people, yes, but while they still had those people being checked (very thoroughly!) waiting to be let in, they let another group in, opened another set of doors, and chaos set in. Then it was the 'usual' free for all, which meant that people with number 60 or 70 got ahead of people with number 1 or 2 (the numbers are examples, not exacts as I obviously don't remember them :biggrin2:)

If you ended up stuck with a security person who decided that they would do a random super thorough search on you, it meant that another 10 people would get ahead of you even if they were behind you. They don't seem to have a set way of checking people either, so it was pot luck depending on which guard you happened to be checked by, which meant that some people got a really thorough search and others were let go with just a wave.

The whole system is wrong but they won't change it, as it doesn't affect them. They never seem open to suggestions from what I've seen :blink:.

Oh yes, that was it. Why can't they just hold off a few seconds while people get checked and just open ONE door? Yes, it takes a lot longer, but at least it's fairer! Argh!

Oh yes, that was it. Why can't they just hold off a few seconds while people get checked and just open ONE door? Yes, it takes a lot longer, but at least it's fairer! Argh!

Quite simply, because they don't care.

Doesn't make a difference to them :aah:

If you ended up stuck with a security person who decided that they would do a random super thorough search on you, it meant that another 10 people would get ahead of you even if they were behind you.

Yet another unnecessary waste of time. In NYC and Toronto they checked bags in the queue so you didn't get stopped when the doors were open. I mean it's a Mika gig ffs. Do they think people are carrying guns?

I think the security staff are just trying to justify their own existence by making the entry as chaotic and dangerous as possible.

Yet another unnecessary waste of time. In NYC and Toronto they checked bags in the queue so you didn't get stopped when the doors were open. I mean it's a Mika gig ffs. Do they think people are carrying guns?

I think the security staff are just trying to justify their own existence by making the entry as chaotic and dangerous as possible.

:roftl:. I know it is in fact sad but this made me really laugh :teehee:.

I have never been to a GA gig before in London. I chose London because a lot of MFC'ers will be there, I love the city and because the date is perfect for me, I have to go to school on a lot of other gig dates. I just hope things won't be too bad :blink:.

So true. But I've lost count of the amount of times where I suggested this to security (to check bags, etc, BEFORE they let us in) and they just refuse, god knows why.

Heck, even at the itunes thing in July I tried so hard to get them to check our names against the Ticket Fairy list in advance, as I just KNEW that it would be total chaos once they opened the doors, but they point blank refused, telling me some bull**** story about security not being happy about it, bla bla... I had even suggested that I could check the names and 'ok' people, as I knew everyone's face, and then perhaps they could give us the wristbands, so that when they opened the doors we'd be 'ready'.

They refused so, of course, in the end we had a nightmare where everyone went in at once and a good number of us were stranded behind hundreds of people who had been let in first, because they couldn't find us on the list and took AGES, after we'd been there queuing ALL day. I was something like number 8 on the arrival queue and ended up being like number 400 inside!!!! :sneaky2:

This is why these London gigs suck. Well, an example of it.

Heck, even at the itunes thing in July I tried so hard to get them to check our names against the Ticket Fairy list in advance, as I just KNEW that it would be total chaos once they opened the doors, but they point blank refused, telling me some bull**** story about security not being happy about it, bla bla... I had even suggested that I could check the names and 'ok' people, as I knew everyone's face, and then perhaps they could give us the wristbands, so that when they opened the doors we'd be 'ready'.

They refused so, of course, in the end we had a nightmare where everyone went in at once and a good number of us were stranded behind hundreds of people who had been let in first, because they couldn't find us on the list and took AGES, after we'd been there queuing ALL day. I was something like number 8 on the arrival queue and ended up being like number 400 inside!!!! :sneaky2:

This is why these London gigs suck. Well, an example of it.

oh... I've spent the entire day right beside you at itunes and I just didn't catch a single thing of what you were trying to do with the security guys :doh:

The thing is: I've never made a single gig in London appart from the itunes one, so I can't really figure out how "disastrous" it can be....

But it is quite scarry to read all your comments about it :shocked:

I'm kind of a very naive daydreamer, and I perfectly assume this, but is it really impossible to find a way to convince people to come a bit later to the venue??

I know that mostly everyone wants to be right in front of the stage once inside... but the perspective of seeing people freezing the entire day waiting for the doors to open scares me a bit (even though I'll probably one of these person in the end :aah:). Of course I'm thinking to my own comfort, but, as it seems that a lot of people do think of theirs in the same way, is it really impossible to find any suitable solution?

I'm probably lost too far in my dreams, and I recon having absolutely no experience in matter of Mika's gigs as this tour is going to be the first one for me... But so many people told me the idea was great... Isn't it any way to sort it out of its "idea" status and to make it happen for real?

(oh my, I just realise I can be such an idealist sometimes :teehee:)

bah

i was 2 times in london GA (25/26 feb), i queued sometimes with fun, sometimes not, and i always ended first/second row with no problems.

was i lucky?

i really don't feel the london gigs that dramatic, and still a great experience to meet so many mfcers.

and, most of all, i did not start queueing before lunch...actually i arrived both times around 3 pm.

Edited by robertina

I 'm not sure what you mean by that, Marilyn? The way Little Noise worked was that you had two options: you either got your tickets at the regular sale, on October 19th, or you registered for that "backstage" thing, which meant that if you went to their site on the 16th you could get pre-sale tickets.

There was no selection involved, you just needed to go to the link on the day. I'm confused :boxed:

I must be mistaken then. I thought once you registered it was like Blackpool, where you had to be selected. I did check my emails including the spam folder, but when no email came I thought I hadn't been selected.

Sometimes instructions are not clear to me, even if they are clear to people who don't have calcium deposits in key centres of their brain like I do.

But it doesn't matter now anyway, because I'm going on the 1st of March. I just need to find a place to stay now.

Hope to see members of MFC there.

bah

i was 2 times in london GA (25/26 feb), i queued sometimes with fun, sometimes not, and i always ended first/second row with no problems.

was i lucky?

i really don't feel the london gigs that dramatic, and still a great experience to meet so many mfcers.

and, most of all, i did not start queueing before lunch...actually i arrived both times around 3 pm.

:shocked: really well theres hope for us all :mf_lustslow:

bah

was i lucky?

Oooh that makes me hope :naughty:

For anyone thinking of getting there on the 27th I'd like to introduce the all in one sleeping bag suit.....

0510_selkbag.jpg

Only £69.99

:wink2:

Aww, I could use the last one as the Golden Astronaut suit!:thumb_yello:

It could double up:naughty:

Your siggy ROCKS btw!